Which one D3200, D5100 or D90??

Started Jun 9, 2013 | Discussions
rohanmanohar
New MemberPosts: 1
Like?
Which one D3200, D5100 or D90??
Jun 9, 2013

Hi I'm now looking at getting a decent entry level DSLR,

A little experience with film cameras but pick things up straight away so even with a pro camera I will eventually work out the system.

Basically I would like your opinion on which camera set I should get and why?

Nikon D3200 Nikon D5100 Nikon D90
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
kgbruce01
Senior MemberPosts: 1,245
Like?
Re: Which one D3200, D5100 or D90??
In reply to rohanmanohar, Jun 9, 2013

rohanmanohar wrote:

A little experience with film cameras but pick things up straight away so even with a pro camera I will eventually work out the system.

The one that costs the least. Why? So you can get a nice lens, a flash, a tripod, a camera bag, cleaning kit, an extra battery, a memory card,  and all the other little things that go along with a new camera system.

If you really can figure things out quickly, then you will be able to produce more, with less. Good luck.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
BlueJakester
Senior MemberPosts: 1,712Gear list
Like?
In reply to kgbruce01, Jun 9, 2013

I cannot tell you which of these three is best for you, but I can tell you what I bought as my first DSLR a couple of months ago: a refurbished D3100.

It came with the 18-55mm kit lens. If I had to do it over again I would try to buy the body only and buy a sharper lens, like the 35 f/1.8 prime for $200.

Regarding the D3100, I think it has been an excellent learning platform. From what I have read here and elsewhere, the D3200 is an even better camera. That said, I'm taking advantage of Nikon's current "Buy together and save" promotion and have just ordered the D5200 and 70-300 lens.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/promotion/10386/nikon-buy-together-and-save.html

That deal is on until June 29th according to the B&H page.

D3100 with 35mm F/1.8 prime lens

BlueJakester's gear list:BlueJakester's gear list
Fujifilm X-E1 Nikon D5200 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G VR Sigma 10-20mm F4-5.6 EX DC HSM +2 more
stevenjames
Contributing MemberPosts: 877Gear list
Like?
In reply to rohanmanohar, Jun 10, 2013

D90. It has more advanced features than the other two.

Steve

-- hide signature --

www.StevenJamesPhotography.com

stevenjames's gear list:stevenjames's gear list
Fujifilm X100S Nikon D7100 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 17-55mm f/2.8G ED-IF Nikon AF-S DX Micro-Nikkor 85mm f/3.5G ED VR +8 more
CaptainAmerica
Forum MemberPosts: 81
Like?
In reply to rohanmanohar, Jun 12, 2013

I have had a D90 for three years and recently got a D3200 for my daughter. Despite the higher resolution and newer electronics in the D3200, I still prefer the D90 because:

- It has more dedicated buttons

- It has more features

- The larger and heavier body fits my hands better

- The viewfinder is larger and brighter

I have no experience with the D5100. Of course some of what I consider pluses in the D90 could be minuses for othersĀ 

photoeng
Senior MemberPosts: 1,008Gear list
Like?

Of the three you listed - the D90 is the only one with in body focusing motor.  With the in body focusing motor, you can use the 50mm F1.8 AF or AF D which is a stellar lens which can easily be found for $100.

-- hide signature --

David
http://photo.blogrlabs.com/
My gear list: D40 / D70s / D200
A bunch of lenses

photoeng's gear list:photoeng's gear list
Nikon D40 Nikon D70s Nikon D200 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 55-200mm f/4-5.6G VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G II +7 more
sworth
Contributing MemberPosts: 703
Like?

D7000 Refurb.

kgbruce01
Like?
In reply to photoeng, Jun 12, 2013

I use my 50mm f/1.8D on my D40 & D5000 all the time... And they don't have focussing motors. Why would someone not be able to use it on a D5200 or D3200?

Wait, there isn't a reason.

photoeng wrote:

Of the three you listed - the D90 is the only one with in body focusing motor. With the in body focusing motor, you can use the 50mm F1.8 AF or AF D which is a stellar lens which can easily be found for $100.

-- hide signature --

David
http://photo.blogrlabs.com/
My gear list: D40 / D70s / D200
A bunch of lenses

gunkan
Regular MemberPosts: 165Gear list
Like?

rohanmanohar wrote:

D90 es que best choice for the money.

I was in the same point that you but i finally got a Nikon D5100. The reason was the price.

D5100 is very limiting in a lot of characteristics (1/4000 without iso low), but the sensor is better than D90 and is cheaper.

gunkan's gear list:gunkan's gear list
Nikon D40 Olympus PEN E-PL5 Fujifilm X-A1 Nikon AF Nikkor 24mm f/2.8D Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.4D +2 more
john Clinch
Senior MemberPosts: 2,807
Like?
In reply to kgbruce01, Jun 12, 2013

kgbruce01 wrote:

I use my 50mm f/1.8D on my D40 & D5000 all the time... And they don't have focussing motors. Why would someone not be able to use it on a D5200 or D3200?

I think AF has many benefits and to pretend that the lack of focus motor is no issue isn't helpful. Yes its possible to autofocus....

Its worth playing with the cameras. In the end I got a lightly used D90 mainly for the view finder. The Af points are easier to see, it has grid lines which I find useful for getting the camera level. The viewfinder is alot bigger and brighter

AdamT
Forum ProPosts: 56,557Gear list
Like?
Yep agree
In reply to sworth, Jun 12, 2013

D7000 refurb by a Mile .

-- hide signature --

** Please ignore the Typos, I'm the world's worst Typist **

AdamT's gear list:AdamT's gear list
Sigma DP1 Canon PowerShot G1 X Nikon Coolpix P330 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Samsung NX210
kgbruce01
Like?
Poor John
In reply to john Clinch, Jun 12, 2013

John, have you ever evenconsidered that its just YOU that has a problem manual focussing? You know, we did it for years and years years with no problems whatsoever. (and still do to this very day)

Dont go thinking that just because manually focussing is problematic for you, that it is for everyone. That is the height of huberous. I can teach you some tricks to learn how, send me an email... I can tech you to drive your camera without autofocus or the cameras meter.

Interested, John? Or are you a 'line up the meter blindly and press go' type of shooter?

john Clinch wrote:

kgbruce01 wrote:

I think AF has many benefits and to pretend that the lack of focus motor is no issue isn't helpful. Yes its possible to autofocus....

Its worth playing with the cameras. In the end I got a lightly used D90 mainly for the view finder. The Af points are easier to see, it has grid lines which I find useful for getting the camera level. The viewfinder is alot bigger and brighter

kgbruce01
Like?
In reply to gunkan, Jun 12, 2013

Just checked your entire gallery of photos and counted the number of shots where you came up to this 'limitation' of 1/4000th of a second exposure time... Seems its a huge limitation for your type of shooting there.

gunkan wrote:

rohanmanohar wrote:

D90 es que best choice for the money.

I was in the same point that you but i finally got a Nikon D5100. The reason was the price.

D5100 is very limiting in a lot of characteristics (1/4000 without iso low), but the sensor is better than D90 and is cheaper.

fotolopithecus
Senior MemberPosts: 1,699Gear list
Like?
In reply to BlueJakester, Jun 12, 2013

D5100, if you don't mind a smaller dimmer viewfinder than the D90.

fotolopithecus's gear list:fotolopithecus's gear list
Nikon D610 Tamron SP AF 90mm F/2.8 Di Macro Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.8G
Brev00
Senior MemberPosts: 5,666Gear list
Like?

I think all three can be a perfectly good way to go in terms of image quality. What may make a difference for you is body size and weight. You may want to handle each to get a feel for what you will be gripping. I shoot with a D90 and have also used a D5100. The D5100 seems much smaller and lighter especially with the small kit lens attached. My D90's size is an advantage for me in balancing a heavier zoom. If you check them out, I think the decision will come easily.
--
http://www.flickr.com/photos/brev00

Brev00's gear list:Brev00's gear list
Nikon D90 Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D Tokina AT-X Pro 12-24mm f/4 DX II Tamron AF 28-300mm F/3.5-6.3 XR Di LD Aspherical (IF) Macro Tamron SP 70-300mm F/4-5.6 Di VC USD +2 more
john Clinch
Senior MemberPosts: 2,807
Like?
Re: Poor John
In reply to kgbruce01, Jun 12, 2013

kgbruce01 wrote:

John, have you ever evenconsidered that its just YOU that has a problem manual focussing?

Interesting point. I only manual focus my dslr when zone focusing for stitching. So yes you are probably correct I do have a problem manual focusing.

You know, we did it for years and years years with no problems whatsoever. (and still do to this very day)

Thanks. As it happens I did know that. Infact I've owned 5 SLR cameras in my life time. 2 digital 1 AF film 2 manual focus film. My recollection is that both the manual focus SLRs had huge bright view finders, a far cry than the dark tunnel on say my D70s and other pentamirror cameras. They also had excellent focusing aids which did make focus confirmation very easy.

Dont go thinking that just because manually focussing is problematic for you, that it is for everyone.

Yes you right its not something I've not really tried. Not sure how you knew that I wasn't good at manual focusing as I never said I found it difficult. I merely pointed that not having being able to use AF if you want to is a disadvantage. I still stand by that

That is the height of huberous.

It would be if it was true but I didn't assume others can't manual focus

I can teach you some tricks to learn how, send me an email... I can tech you to drive your camera without autofocus or the cameras meter.

Interested, John? Or are you a 'line up the meter blindly and press go' type of shooter?

I probably am guilty of over using the cameras meter. Less so on the D90 than the D70s where I use exposure compensation more often. The D70s meter was much more consistent. Icertainly rely on post processing RAW files to get what I want. Usually I use aperture priority. I have done some long exposure work, that takes more thought. As does manual exposure for stitching where the chosen exposure is a balance of the needs of numerous photos

john Clinch wrote:

kgbruce01 wrote:

Sadly when I wrote this I didn't notice I'd typed autofocus as the last word, I meant manual focus. oops sorry

Its worth playing with the cameras. In the end I got a lightly used D90 mainly for the view finder. The Af points are easier to see, it has grid lines which I find useful for getting the camera level. The viewfinder is alot bigger and brighter

Thanks

John

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads