Unusual Card Error - D7000 - Your Help Please

Started Jun 9, 2013 | Questions
trespassing
Regular MemberPosts: 166
Like?
Unusual Card Error - D7000 - Your Help Please
Jun 9, 2013

I've just come across an unusual card error with my D7000.  This is the order things happened:

1. Took a couple of shots with a card I use regularly and is regularly formatted in camera (Sandisk Extreme).  I noticed it was taking an unusually long time to save to the card, and the green light was on and the camera was locked up for about 15 seconds each time.  I took about 5 shots of which I think two of them saved to the card.
  2. I took the card out of the camera (it was the only card in there and in slot 2) after turning the camera off.  When off and with no cards in the camera the 'shots remaining counter' still remained when normally it has the little E.  I switched the camera back on (no card) and it comes up with 'CARD' where the SS normally is and 'Err' where the shot counter is.
  3. I put a different capacity card, this time a Sandisk Extreme Pro, into Slot 1, and switch the camera on.  The camera works as normal, no time delay with the green light and I can take shots.
  4. I switch the camera off and take the card out - the shot counter once again remains there with no cards in the camera.  Exactly the same thing happens, when on the Card Error appears, but reinsert a card and I can take shots as normal.
This therefore means I have tried both cards and both slots.  If it is the D7000, I'm it's come to light now a month before I really need it!  Your advice would be very much appreciated. Thanks, Matt
-- hide signature --

Student in Brighton, UK

ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
Nikon D7000
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
nfpotter
Senior MemberPosts: 4,072
Like?
Re: Unusual Card Error - D7000 - Your Help Please
In reply to trespassing, Jun 9, 2013

Sounds quite strange.

If I were you, I'd start by re-flashing the newest firmware on the camera, and see if that helps.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
trespassing
Like?
In reply to nfpotter, Jun 9, 2013

nfpotter wrote:

Sounds quite strange.

If I were you, I'd start by re-flashing the newest firmware on the camera, and see if that helps.

Thanks, I wouldn't have thought of that, but unfortunately no such luck.

I have also tried the obvious that I could think of, green button reset, battery in and out etc.

Anymore suggestions would be greatly appreciated but I am completely out of ideas.

-- hide signature --

Student in Brighton, UK

trespassing
Like?
In reply to trespassing, Jun 10, 2013

Just in case anyone was interested (doesn't seem like people are but anyway) I called Nikon UK technical support when they opened this morning, and as I expected they had no idea.  Either way I now have their okay to send it in for repair.  I pass relatively near the service centre on Wednesday so I will drop the camera in.  I just hope their 2-3 week estimate is up to scratch, for if it takes much longer and I am going to be in trouble!

-- hide signature --

Student in Brighton, UK

Mako2011
Mako2011 MOD
Forum ProPosts: 16,065
Like?
let us know
In reply to trespassing, Jun 10, 2013

trespassing wrote:

Just in case anyone was interested (doesn't seem like people are but anyway) I called Nikon UK technical support when they opened this morning, and as I expected they had no idea.  Either way I now have their okay to send it in for repair.  I pass relatively near the service centre on Wednesday so I will drop the camera in.  I just hope their 2-3 week estimate is up to scratch, for if it takes much longer and I am going to be in trouble!

-- hide signature --

Student in Brighton, UK

Please keep us informed on the outcome. Racked my brain and can't think of anything that would cause the symptoms other than corrupted non-volatile memory in camera or a bad chip someplace. Very strange problem indeed. Good luck!!

-- hide signature --

My opinions are my own and not those of DPR or its administration. They carry no 'special' value (except to me and Lacie of course)

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads