light reverse engineering

Started Jun 9, 2013 | Discussions
b4cktr4ck
Regular MemberPosts: 143Gear list
Like?
light reverse engineering
Jun 9, 2013

Hi,

I'd like to take a photo with a similar result

what I can see:

One light camera left high (shadow of the collar left side of model)

One light (beauty dish?) front of model?

One light camera right? (shadow from shirt model right and from face on collar model right)

One light for the hair camera right behind model?

One light on the background

What I like is that on both sides of the model's face there is a bit of shadow, how is this achieved?

I like the position of the head where the right side of the model is in axis with the camera and hides the ear

What I have: 3 lights (Yongnuo flashes) , 2 white shoot thru umbrellas, 1 silver reflective umbrella, 1 softbox, 1 black/white background panel

 b4cktr4ck's gear list:b4cktr4ck's gear list
Canon EOS 6D
kgbruce01
Senior MemberPosts: 1,245
Like?
Re: light reverse engineering
In reply to b4cktr4ck, Jun 9, 2013

You haven't accounted for the addition light source in front (look at catch lights in eyes)

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
b4cktr4ck
Regular MemberPosts: 143Gear list
Like?
Re: light reverse engineering
In reply to kgbruce01, Jun 9, 2013

kgbruce01 wrote:

You haven't accounted for the addition light source in front (look at catch lights in eyes)

clamshell?

 b4cktr4ck's gear list:b4cktr4ck's gear list
Canon EOS 6D
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
hotdog321
Forum ProPosts: 10,697Gear list
Like?
Re: light reverse engineering
In reply to b4cktr4ck, Jun 9, 2013

Looking at the catchlights, I see a broad softbox directly in front of the subject set high and a second softbox or reflector down low. Both are dead center on the subject. There might be a light hitting the seamless directly behind her, or it might be done PP.

 hotdog321's gear list:hotdog321's gear list
Canon EF 16-35mm f/4L IS USM
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Klaus dk
Senior MemberPosts: 2,460Gear list
Like?
Re: light reverse engineering
In reply to hotdog321, Jun 9, 2013

hotdog321 wrote:

Looking at the catchlights, I see a broad softbox directly in front of the subject set high and a second softbox or reflector down low. Both are dead center on the subject. There might be a light hitting the seamless directly behind her, or it might be done PP.

Maybe the top light is a beauty dish, but yes, I'd say clamshell dead center. And there's a hairlight, camera right.

 Klaus dk's gear list:Klaus dk's gear list
Canon PowerShot S100 Canon EOS 7D Canon EF 35mm f/2.0 Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Canon EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM +6 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
hotdog321
Forum ProPosts: 10,697Gear list
Like?
Re: light reverse engineering
In reply to b4cktr4ck, Jun 9, 2013

Oh yeah, I overlooked the hair light. Might be spill from the light in back, too.

 hotdog321's gear list:hotdog321's gear list
Canon EF 16-35mm f/4L IS USM
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
TiagoReil
Senior MemberPosts: 1,515Gear list
Like?
Re: light reverse engineering
In reply to b4cktr4ck, Jun 10, 2013

b4cktr4ck wrote:

Hi,

I'd like to take a photo with a similar result

what I can see:

One light camera left high (shadow of the collar left side of model)

One light (beauty dish?) front of model?

One light camera right? (shadow from shirt model right and from face on collar model right)

One light for the hair camera right behind model?

One light on the background

What I like is that on both sides of the model's face there is a bit of shadow, how is this achieved?

I like the position of the head where the right side of the model is in axis with the camera and hides the ear

What I have: 3 lights (Yongnuo flashes) , 2 white shoot thru umbrellas, 1 silver reflective umbrella, 1 softbox, 1 black/white background panel

Clamshell in the front of the subject (be it with a beauty dish, a softbox, or what ever, and probably a reflector)

Rim light on our right, that gets her shoulder and part of the hair lit.

Background light.

I think that is all. Dont see any more lights there.

 TiagoReil's gear list:TiagoReil's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-5 Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Sony 85mm F2.8 SAM Sigma 70mm F2.8 EX DG Macro +3 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Sailor Blue
Senior MemberPosts: 6,797Gear list
Like?
Re: light reverse engineering
In reply to b4cktr4ck, Jun 10, 2013

The pose is well done and does hide the right ear perfectly.  You can learn a lot about posing from this free video tutorial.  Watch it, wait a couple of days, then watch it again - you'll learn more fine details of posing the second time than the first.

Sekonic - Frank Dispensa - Classical Posing and Portrait Lighting

-- hide signature --

Living and loving it in Bangkok, Thailand. Canon 7D - See the gear list for the rest.

 Sailor Blue's gear list:Sailor Blue's gear list
Canon EOS 7D +10 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Clueless Wanderer
Senior MemberPosts: 1,139Gear list
Like?
Re: light reverse engineering
In reply to b4cktr4ck, Jun 10, 2013

b4cktr4ck wrote:

Hi,

I'd like to take a photo with a similar result

what I can see:

One light camera left high (shadow of the collar left side of model)

One light (beauty dish?) front of model?

One light camera right? (shadow from shirt model right and from face on collar model right)

One light for the hair camera right behind model?

One light on the background

What I like is that on both sides of the model's face there is a bit of shadow, how is this achieved?

I like the position of the head where the right side of the model is in axis with the camera and hides the ear

What I have: 3 lights (Yongnuo flashes) , 2 white shoot thru umbrellas, 1 silver reflective umbrella, 1 softbox, 1 black/white background panel

Im going down the beauty dish above camera, clamshell path. I think there is a good chance that the camera right hair light is doing double duty for the hair and background. I really like the lighting a lot..

 Clueless Wanderer's gear list:Clueless Wanderer's gear list
Nikon D200 Nikon D700 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 300mm f/4D ED-IF Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II +21 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
b4cktr4ck
Regular MemberPosts: 143Gear list
Like?
Re: light reverse engineering
In reply to Clueless Wanderer, Jun 17, 2013

thanks all for the contributions. Will share my attempts soon

 b4cktr4ck's gear list:b4cktr4ck's gear list
Canon EOS 6D
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
DecibelPhoto
Contributing MemberPosts: 685
Like?
Re: light reverse engineering
In reply to b4cktr4ck, Jun 23, 2013

You have too many lights.  There are likely 3 lights, maybe 4.  Main light is centered above face, probably a medium-ish box.  Then either a reflector or active fill below.  There is a very mild hair light, and a background light.  Fairly straight forward setup.

b4cktr4ck wrote:

Hi,

I'd like to take a photo with a similar result

what I can see:

One light camera left high (shadow of the collar left side of model)

One light (beauty dish?) front of model?

One light camera right? (shadow from shirt model right and from face on collar model right)

One light for the hair camera right behind model?

One light on the background

What I like is that on both sides of the model's face there is a bit of shadow, how is this achieved?

I like the position of the head where the right side of the model is in axis with the camera and hides the ear

What I have: 3 lights (Yongnuo flashes) , 2 white shoot thru umbrellas, 1 silver reflective umbrella, 1 softbox, 1 black/white background panel

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
b4cktr4ck
Regular MemberPosts: 143Gear list
Like?
Re: light reverse engineering
In reply to DecibelPhoto, Jun 30, 2013

DecibelPhoto wrote:

You have too many lights. There are likely 3 lights, maybe 4. Main light is centered above face, probably a medium-ish box. Then either a reflector or active fill below. There is a very mild hair light, and a background light. Fairly straight forward setup.

yep makes sense in line with most of the people guessed.

Would it work to reproduce this setup using a clamshell with softbox up high and umbrella low?

For the hair light what's the best option? can a bare flash do the job?

 b4cktr4ck's gear list:b4cktr4ck's gear list
Canon EOS 6D
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads