A 1DX A question

Started Jun 9, 2013 | Discussions
onechobeach
Regular MemberPosts: 187
Like?
A 1DX A question
Jun 9, 2013

Trying to make my decision finally and has a few questions.

I currently own the 5D MKiii and has been considering upgrading to the 1DX.

I take a wide variety of shots and type of photography but has recently got into sports and action photography. Cycling events, boxing and Snowboarding and considers that the 1DX would be perfect.

However I can only afford to really keep the one camera body if I upgrade and I also enjoy a fair amount of street photography, both candid and street portraiture.

My concern is that the 1DX would be both too bulky to carry all day even with my Black Rapid harness and secondly it is so prominant , bulky and large that you really cannot go unnoticed with such an expensive piece of equipment.

Target for muggings , not being able carry on photographing without notice or comment. concedes you cannot really go unnoticed with a 5D MKiii and a 70-200L 2.8 either.

I used to hate suddenly being centre of attention when lugging around my equipment but has got used to being noticed and people coming up to me and asking questions.

So opinions on the 1DX for day to day street photography.

Goes to the gym and has biceps !

Phil

Canon EOS 5D Canon EOS-1D
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
jjnik
Senior MemberPosts: 1,282Gear list
Like?
Re: A 1DX A question
In reply to onechobeach, Jun 9, 2013

And you needed to start a 2nd thread (in this forum) on this same topic for...????

jjnik's gear list:jjnik's gear list
Nikon D4s Nikon D700 Nikon D800E Nikon 1 AW1 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED +11 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Mike921
Regular MemberPosts: 284Gear list
Like?

I'm an older guy (55) and my usual walk around travel kit is a modular ThinkTank suspender rig, a 5D3 (w/grip) 24-70 and a 1DX 70-200.  The suspender rig distributes the weight of a couple lenses, water bottle, accessories, the 5D3 is around my neck, and the 1DX is on my shoulder.  I'm good for 6 hrs or so.

Yes, it tends to attract attention, so for a more covert shoot I use the 5D3 without grip and a shoulder bag.

IMHO, if you can budget only one body, get the 1DX, there are few places (at least environmentally) it can't go.

Mike921's gear list:Mike921's gear list
Canon PowerShot S400 Canon PowerShot S2 IS Canon PowerShot G12 Canon EOS 7D Canon EOS-1D X +9 more
WalterSrChat
Senior MemberPosts: 1,087Gear list
Like?

For your concerns about weight, being notice, and possible security concerns, you should not go with the 1Dx.

When you no longer find excuses to not get the 1Dx, then it will be a great time to get that 1Dx.

Walter Sr

-- hide signature --

I am out to take the perfect picture, if it exits!

WalterSrChat's gear list:WalterSrChat's gear list
Canon EOS-1Ds Mark III Canon EOS 20D Canon EOS-1D X Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Canon EF 16-35mm f/2.8L II USM +3 more
Apewithacamera
Senior MemberPosts: 2,156Gear list
Like?
1 more post Walter until 1000 ! :)
In reply to WalterSrChat, Jun 9, 2013
No text.
BRUCEK56
Contributing MemberPosts: 789Gear list
Like?

..................you will miss the true silent shutter of the 5D3 in your street photography.

-- hide signature --

BRUCEK56

BRUCEK56's gear list:BRUCEK56's gear list
Canon EOS-1D X Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM Sigma 12-24mm F4.5-5.6 EX DG Aspherical HSM Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM Canon EF 70-200mm f/4L IS USM
alFR
Regular MemberPosts: 286
Like?

You could always get the 1DX and (budget allowing) get something like a Fuji X100 for the street stuff.

WalterSrChat
Senior MemberPosts: 1,087Gear list
Like?
Re: 1 more post Walter until 1000 ! :)
In reply to Apewithacamera, Jun 9, 2013

Ha!

Thanks for reminding Me!

Walter Sr

-- hide signature --

I am out to take the perfect picture, if it exits!

WalterSrChat's gear list:WalterSrChat's gear list
Canon EOS-1Ds Mark III Canon EOS 20D Canon EOS-1D X Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Canon EF 16-35mm f/2.8L II USM +3 more
rddelliott
Regular MemberPosts: 246Gear list
Like?
In reply to alFR, Jun 10, 2013

You could always pair your 1Dx with the SL-1 for your street stuff.  I use mine with the 40mm pancake and really like the size for street use.  The nice part is you can use all your other Canon glass with the SL-1.

-- hide signature --

rddelliott

rddelliott's gear list:rddelliott's gear list
Sony Alpha 7R
KAllen
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,732Gear list
Like?
In reply to onechobeach, Jun 10, 2013

Well for sports like snowboarding and other harsh environments it has to be the X.

Street photography, get a cheap point and shoot.

Two completely different design sets.

Like tractors are great for ploughing fields but not much good for taking the family to the beach.

onechobeach
Regular MemberPosts: 187
Like?
In reply to KAllen, Jun 10, 2013

Thanks everyone.

Still agonising over the decision and generally thinking of reducing all the gear I have so that 2 or three lenses cover my every need. Unfortunately though a 400 F2.8 or the latest 200-400 are likely to remain out of my grasp.

Loves my photography, the love of my life really !! but rarely makes enough money to cover the costs.

Wishes i was 20 and starting out and not 50 having wasted most of my life doing a tedious job I hated !!!

But that is another thread....

Thanks

ozgazza
Regular MemberPosts: 174Gear list
Like?
In reply to onechobeach, Jun 11, 2013

Hi Phil,

I have a 1DX and yes it is a big mother. I love it but have often wondered how the 5D Mkiii might go in the situations I shoot, which like you is a wide variety.

Personally I don't the body is what makes you conspicuous rather its the lens. The big white canon long lenses are very noticeable.

My advice? Ask yourself what the 1Dx can do that the 5D Mkiii can't that for you is also a must have. If its significant then upgrade - otherwise stay with what you have got.

-- hide signature --

Gaz
(Melbourne, Australia)
Blog: http://vitamirus.blogspot.com

ozgazza's gear list:ozgazza's gear list
Canon EOS-1D X Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Canon EF 16-35mm f/2.8L II USM Canon EF 24-70mm f/2.8L USM Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS USM +5 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads