How should I hang lots of photos together?

Started Jun 8, 2013 | Discussions
CrabbyGuy
Regular MemberPosts: 157Gear list
Like?
How should I hang lots of photos together?
Jun 8, 2013

I have about 60 ft. of horizontal space and a 10' ceiling to hang photos.  Most of the images are 12" X 18" and I'll use roughly a 4" mat and black wooden gallery frames.  Prints are about 60% landscape, 30% portrait, and 10% square.  Images typically have nothing in common except that they are my best shots.  The majority are color, but there are some B&W also.

Several years ago, the frames always seemed to follow the image contents, e.g., landscape images were framed in landscape frames.  Then they went on the wall whichever way they could.

Recently, frames all seem to go the same way in galleries, fine restaurants, etc., especially portrait, and the mats are cut to fit the image and frame both.

I am also looking for advice on the most pleasing distance between frames horizontally.

Any suggestions and/or references are appreciated!

just Tony
Contributing MemberPosts: 562
Like?
Re: How should I hang lots of photos together?
In reply to CrabbyGuy, Jun 9, 2013

This isn't a direct answer to your question but it could change an assumption.

I'm going to give slatwall a try to allow any arrangement down the road. It would probably pay for itself compared to frequent patching and repainting of drywall. It is available in white, gray, black, you name it. I've seen the black product in a nature photography gallery. They probably chose that to hide the horizontal lines but the whole gallery was black which looked fairly severe to my eyes. The subjects were mostly heavily saturated red rock scenes from Utah and I think they were trying to play that up.

I'd probably go with light or middle gray myself.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
John W  Hall
Regular MemberPosts: 494
Like?
In reply to CrabbyGuy, Jun 11, 2013

I won't comment on frames, but on how they are hung...

There are systems that have a fixed rail at the top of the wall, wires are dropped down from the rail (these can easily be positioned anywhere along the rail - horizontal position adjustment).

There is a clip on the wire that can be moved vertically (vertical position adjustment).

The frame is hooked onto the clip.

Advantages:

1) The top rail is the only part that is fixed to the wall, so you don't keep making new holes in the wall

2) You have flexibility to position a frame anywhere within the rectangle below the rail

3) It's minimalist, unobtrusive & elegant.

Mike Flood
Senior MemberPosts: 1,592
Like?
In reply to just Tony, Jun 12, 2013

just Tony wrote:

This isn't a direct answer to your question but it could change an assumption.

I'm going to give slatwall a try to allow any arrangement down the road. It would probably pay for itself compared to frequent patching and repainting of drywall. It is available in white, gray, black, you name it. I've seen the black product in a nature photography gallery. They probably chose that to hide the horizontal lines but the whole gallery was black which looked fairly severe to my eyes. The subjects were mostly heavily saturated red rock scenes from Utah and I think they were trying to play that up.

I'd probably go with light or middle gray myself.

You won't have to fill or patch holes in your walls if you use 3M "commnd" removeable hangin system gizzmos.  Any home center should have them.  They are not what I wluld call cheap but saves time and trouble of wall repais.

-- hide signature --

Mike Flood

DotCom Editor
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,576Gear list
Like?
Rail system
In reply to CrabbyGuy, Jun 12, 2013

Rail systems are the only way to go. You'll never make holes in the wall again that need to be patched each time you move frames.

Try these:

http://www.ashanging.com/en/click-rail-system

or

http://www.systematicart.com/home-and-office-solutions/picture-hanging-tracks/

TonyGamble
Senior MemberPosts: 2,048
Like?
In reply to CrabbyGuy, Jun 12, 2013

"I am also looking for advice on the most pleasing distance between frames horizontally."

Try and keeo the distances equal.

If you have a mix of horizontal and vertical and assorted sizes make the outside edge of the images at the extremity a straight line - and then fill inwards.

You are thus creating a picture (of images) within a bigger picture that has clean edges.

Tony

just Tony
Contributing MemberPosts: 562
Like?
In reply to Mike Flood, Jun 13, 2013

Mike Flood wrote:

You won't have to fill or patch holes in your walls if you use 3M "commnd" removeable hangin system gizzmos. Any home center should have them. They are not what I wluld call cheap but saves time and trouble of wall repais.

I use them... not on anything heavy and expensive (like my framed photos)... too many failures. They skimp on the contact area for no good reason. Great products for small jobs.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads