Optimal Memory Cards for x100s?

Started Jun 7, 2013 | Discussions
Steve Rothman
Junior MemberPosts: 41
Like?
Optimal Memory Cards for x100s?
Jun 7, 2013

I've just purchased an x100s and wonder about memory cards. The author of Mastering the Art of the Fujifilm X-Pro 1 says that he and many of his colleagues recommend the fastest card available (95 MB/s I think). He says, that especially for bracketing function this is useful. The local camera store guys (Glazers in Seattle) say that there is no advantage to these super fast cards, except for shooting hi-def video. I'm probably not going to do much hi-def video. Do you all believe that the fastest cards are useful for still shooting?

Thanks, Steve (near Seattle)

Fujifilm X100S
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
muzzlok
Junior MemberPosts: 47Gear list
Like?
Re: Optimal Memory Cards for x100s?
In reply to Steve Rothman, Jun 7, 2013

For stills only, I prefer the 95 MB/s speed and 8 gbyte storage card.  It's fairly cheep around $20 USD and allows thousands of pics before you need to move them to a long-term storage/burn to disk option.

http://www.amazon.com/SanDisk-Extreme-Class-Memory-SDSDXPA-008G-AFFP/dp/B007NDL542

I find the start up of my X100/X100s to be faster too.

Enjoy.

muzzlok's gear list:muzzlok's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
El Chubasco
Regular MemberPosts: 325Gear list
Like?
In reply to muzzlok, Jun 7, 2013

muzzlok wrote:

For stills only, I prefer the 95 MB/s speed and 8 gbyte storage card.  It's fairly cheep around $20 USD and allows thousands of pics before you need to move them to a long-term storage/burn to disk option.

http://www.amazon.com/SanDisk-Extreme-Class-Memory-SDSDXPA-008G-AFFP/dp/B007NDL542

I find the start up of my X100/X100s to be faster too.

Enjoy.

+1

El Chubasco's gear list:El Chubasco's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Sony RX100 II Fujifilm X-Pro1 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 60mm F2.4 R Macro +6 more
Travelshooter
Senior MemberPosts: 1,471Gear list
Like?
In reply to El Chubasco, Jun 7, 2013

+2 with a caveat.  I prefer 32gb size since I can average 100+ frames a day traveling and shoot raw on trips. The XP-1 get 1291 raw images to a 32gb card. For a three week trip I would take three cards.

Martindareff.com/National-Parks-and-Historic/Miami-Zoo-FebruaRY-2011/15942203_4fbco#1195817020_VhtD6-L-LB

Travelshooter's gear list:Travelshooter's gear list
Canon PowerShot S95 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX100 III Canon PowerShot G7 X Fujifilm X-Pro1 Fujifilm X-T1 +14 more
Steve Rothman
Junior MemberPosts: 41
Like?
In reply to Travelshooter, Jun 9, 2013

Many thanks to both of you for your responses.

Steve

Jonavin
Regular MemberPosts: 422Gear list
Like?
In reply to Travelshooter, Jun 10, 2013

I agree on the card and the 32GB size. It seems to be the best cost/GB anyways.

Jonavin's gear list:Jonavin's gear list
Fujifilm X100S Fujifilm X-T1 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R Fujifilm XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS +2 more
lnbolch
Senior MemberPosts: 1,862Gear list
Like?
In reply to Steve Rothman, Jun 10, 2013

I treated myself to the 95Mb/s card and did an unscientific test of it against the 45Mb/s card I had been using. I filled the X-Pro1 buffer with each card and timed how long it took to shoot and to clear. The fast card took about half the time—about 20 seconds vs 45-50 seconds.

That said, the slower card never caused the loss of a single exposure. I started out with an ordinary Class 10 card with the X100, followed by the faster cards. Shooting sports or video with a dSLR, there would be a significant advantage, but the Fuji cameras tend to encourage a more contemplative and less machine-gun approach.

On the other hand, with cards being so cheap, why not go for the fastest? If you shoot sequences, they do write to the card more quickly. When you transfer to the hard-drive, they will read more quickly as well. The difference in price is really not significant any more.  When I began moving to digital cameras, a gigabyte of cards (195MB was the biggest) a gigabyte of storage was $2,550US on very slow cards. Not hard to find a gig for a buck now, even with Class 10 speed.

-- hide signature --
 lnbolch's gear list:lnbolch's gear list
Nikon Coolpix 8400 Fujifilm FinePix Real 3D W1 Fujifilm FinePix X100 Nikon D700 Fujifilm X-Pro1 +12 more
CraigArnold
Contributing MemberPosts: 525Gear list
Like?
In reply to Steve Rothman, Jun 10, 2013

With the X100 there was certainly a very large difference in responsiveness and stability when using a fast card.45Mb/s was essential, with only a minor improvement at 95. But 30 or below was horrible.

The X100s however has much faster electronics and a much larger buffer so you may not need a very fast card. However fast cards are not very expensive, and if you buy online there is almost no penalty to getting a 95Mb/s card.

A fast card is never going to slow your camera down, and I would much rather have an 8Gb fast card than a 32Gb slower card. But really we are now only talking about a difference of 20$ on a $1000 camera. It's not like there are a million extras needed for the X100s - go on get a good card.

-- hide signature --

Blog ------------------------ http://craigspics.net/?tag=blog
X100 Blog ----------------- http://craigspics.net/?cat=6
X100 Quickstart Guide -- http://craigspics.net/?page_id=1345

CraigArnold's gear list:CraigArnold's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Sony Alpha 7R Sony FE 35mm F2.8 Sony FE 55mm F1.8 Sony FE 24-70mm F4 OSS
Indulis Bernsteins
Regular MemberPosts: 422Gear list
Like?
In reply to CraigArnold, Jun 11, 2013

I found out there are cards that say 45 MBytes/sec but it is only for READ, in small print the card is slower for write.

However the Sandisk card at 90 MB/sec really *is* 90MB/sec write. Same for their 45 MB/sec card.

In the X-E1 the difference between a real 45MB/sec card and a 90 MB/sec card was small.

But the X-100S is a newer camera and may be able to drive data to the  card faster, so you may be able to take advantage of the speed difference of the 90 MB/sec card.

A cheap way to find out is to get 2 x 8GB cards, one of each. Do the test. Then buy the bigger capacity card. That way you have "emergency" cards which you can use in case the main card bites the dust.

Indulis Bernsteins's gear list:Indulis Bernsteins's gear list
Fujifilm X-E1 Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM Canon EF 70-200mm f/4L IS USM Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS +4 more
NachoYogi
Regular MemberPosts: 142Gear list
Like?
In reply to CraigArnold, Jun 12, 2013

+1 Well said.

NachoYogi's gear list:NachoYogi's gear list
Canon PowerShot G10 Canon PowerShot S110 Fujifilm X100S Nikon D300S Fujifilm X-Pro1 +4 more
baobob
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,077Gear list
Like?
In reply to Steve Rothman, Jun 12, 2013

32gb or bigger UHS SD

This as you mentionned allows any type of combination FJPEG+RAW, bracketing, large autonomy during a trip

Ideally 2 32GB for flexibility and safety better than 1 64GB

-- hide signature --

Good judgment comes from experience
Experience comes from bad judgment

baobob's gear list:baobob's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Sony RX100 Fujifilm X-T1 Fujifilm XF 18mm F2 R Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R +8 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads