Sony WX-300 and HX-20V question

Started Jun 7, 2013 | Discussions
Detett1560
New MemberPosts: 17
Like?
Sony WX-300 and HX-20V question
Jun 7, 2013

Hello all...I am considering a HX-20V but now see that Sony has this new WX-300 camera out now. I know they both have 20x optical but are the lenses/sensors the same? Since the WX is newer, does it really have anything better going for it over the HX20V? The prices I have found are comparable so which one would be the better overall pocket camera for travel and indoor photography? What does the "WX and HX" in the model names actually mean? I think I'm putting too much thought into this and confusing myself at this point!

Thanks!!

Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX20V
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
notime
Contributing MemberPosts: 789
Like?
Re: Sony WX-300 and HX-20V question
In reply to Detett1560, Jun 7, 2013

On Sony.com, W is "Everyday Shooting" and H is "High Zoom"
X = BSI CMOS sensor

In general W is more compact and now only has Auto and scene modes. (In 2007, my W7 had P and M modes)

The HX cameras are generally the most full featured cameras and have more control options.

The HX20 has a slightly faster lens (lower f/) and has the P and full Manual control available, and it does full 1080 60P video.

The W may have better IS and have a slightly faster processor.

Sony announced the WX300 as the HX20 successor, but I really think it depends if you want to give up a little more control in order to have a much more compact camera.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
notime
Like?
In reply to notime, Jun 7, 2013

The WX has wifi transfer with wifi control from a smartphone/tablet which could be really useful or no advantage depending on your usage.

Detett1560
Like?
In reply to notime, Jun 7, 2013

notime wrote:

X = BSI CMOS sensor

In general W is more compact and now only has Auto and scene modes. (In 2007, my W7 had P and M modes)

The HX cameras are generally the most full featured cameras and have more control options.

The HX20 has a slightly faster lens (lower f/) and has the P and full Manual control available, and it does full 1080 60P video.

Sony announced the WX300 as the HX20 successor, but I really think it depends if you want to give up a little more control in order to have a much more compact camera.

Thank you so much for clearing up those designations. I really would like SOME control over ISO, EV and for me Image Quality would be what matters the most. I can accept slightly less video quality. I know the HX20v has really good image quality and good focus, I was thinking perhaps this new WX300 has improved upon those things? Altho I know newer, doesn't always mean better...

MickTarheel
Regular MemberPosts: 108
Like?
In reply to Detett1560, Jun 7, 2013

One thing I notice is the WX300 doesn't have the awkward popup flash.

Detett1560
Like?
In reply to notime, Jun 8, 2013

So Image quality on the HX20V would technically be better due to the lens?

LSHorwitz1
Senior MemberPosts: 2,091Gear list
Like?
In reply to notime, Jun 8, 2013

notime wrote:

X = BSI CMOS sensor

I own both, and the explanation above is very good !!

The built in flash on the WX is weaker with less reach so long tele indoor shots in low light can be tougher on the WX. Picture quality and overall use is mostly equivalent.

If I could only keep one, the WX300 for sure. So amazingly small and light.

Larry

notime
Like?
In reply to Detett1560, Jun 8, 2013

So Image quality on the HX20V would technically be better due to the lens?

In general, more compact lens is likely to have more optical compromises, but I'm not sure of that has been proven in this case.
A faster lens might be able to shoot with a faster shutter speed or lower ISO, but the fraction slower on the WX's lens may be offset by better stabilization.

Joseph Broz
Regular MemberPosts: 297Gear list
Like?

Image in mirror reflection of patrons at bar no flash used

I think these photos will help you to see what this tiny camera can do in a difficult situation. This was a meet and greet for paranormal investigation groups. These photos were taken at The Raven Lounge in Philadelphia PA. in almost total darkness all the walls were painted flat black.   No flash was used.  The Sony Cyber-shot DSC-WX300 pocket camera preformed very well.  Your comments are invited.

Stair Case Lit Only with Black Light

The Raven Lounge Philadelphia PA taken in almost total darkness with Sony DSC-WX300

Joseph Broz's gear list:Joseph Broz's gear list
Canon PowerShot SX210 IS Fujifilm FinePix F770EXR Canon PowerShot G1 X Nikon Coolpix S9300 Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX7 +5 more
OpticsEngineer
Senior MemberPosts: 2,226Gear list
Like?

I have both.

Image quality is very similar.

It is nice having the manual controls on the HX20V but of course if you are not going to use them that does not much matter.

If you are interested, be sure to check out the review of the HX20V on this website.

OpticsEngineer's gear list:OpticsEngineer's gear list
Olympus XZ-1 Canon PowerShot SX40 HS Canon PowerShot SX260 HS Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX20V Fujifilm XF1 +18 more
Detett1560
Like?
In reply to Joseph Broz, Jun 8, 2013

Thank you Joseph for posting those. That definitely gives me an idea of how the WX300 performs in low light!

Detett1560
Like?
In reply to OpticsEngineer, Jun 8, 2013

OpticsEngineer wrote:

I have both.

It is nice having the manual controls on the HX20V but of course if you are not going to use them that does not much matter.

If you are interested, be sure to check out the review of the HX20V on this website.

I would like some manual control, BUT the smaller size of the WX300 is appealing..that is why I am on the fence between the two. Image Quality is the main factor for me. I did read the HX20v review, just wish they would do a comparison between the two ha ha..

Seems like the HX50V is the replacement for the HX20V? Or is the WX300 the replacement? Maybe I have it wrong?

OpticsEngineer
Like?
In reply to Detett1560, Jun 9, 2013

"Seems like the HX50V is the replacement for the HX20V? Or is the WX300 the replacement? Maybe I have it wrong?"

Like when a new car comes out, it usually has a little bit better performance and some new features than the one it replaces?

In that sense, the HX50V is the replacement for the HX20V by virtue of its longer zoom.

Similarly, the WX300 loses a few of the manual control features compared to the HX20V so it would not the "replacement."    But it does have practically the exact same optical image quality as the HX20V.   You can find some pictures in my gallery that I took as test shots as comparisons (for instance a white stuffed toy unicorn in the garden taken after sunset so the light level is getting low)   The image quality is as close to identical as I can imagine it being.

It really is an amazing engineering accomplishment to pack all that performance into such a small package.  No other camera company is even coming close to that kind of capability.  I think Sony has seen that the cell phone is the competition and they are meeting that challenge square on.

Olympus XZ-1 Canon PowerShot SX40 HS Canon PowerShot SX260 HS Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX20V Fujifilm XF1 +18 more
Detett1560
Like?
In reply to OpticsEngineer, Jun 9, 2013

OpticsEngineer wrote:

"Seems like the HX50V is the replacement for the HX20V? Or is the WX300 the replacement? Maybe I have it wrong?"

Like when a new car comes out, it usually has a little bit better performance and some new features than the one it replaces?

In that sense, the HX50V is the replacement for the HX20V by virtue of its longer zoom.

Similarly, the WX300 loses a few of the manual control features compared to the HX20V so it would not the "replacement."    But it does have practically the exact same optical image quality as the HX20V.   You can find some pictures in my gallery that I took as test shots as comparisons (for instance a white stuffed toy unicorn in the garden taken after sunset so the light level is getting low)   The image quality is as close to identical as I can imagine it being.

It really is an amazing engineering accomplishment to pack all that performance into such a small package.  No other camera company is even coming close to that kind of capability.  I think Sony has seen that the cell phone is the competition and they are meeting that challenge square on.

Thank you so much!!   "Similarly, the WX300 loses a few of the manual control features compared to the HX20V so it would not the "replacement."    But it does have practically the exact same optical image quality as the HX20V.   You can find some pictures in my gallery that I took as test shots as comparisons (for instance a white stuffed toy unicorn in the garden taken after sunset so the light level is getting low)   The image quality is as close to identical as I can imagine it being."

That is exactly what I wanted to know. If the image quality would be identical. Or if one had a better lens than the other. Sounds like the WX300 due to its size will be the one I go with!

Thanks again!

Deb

kaizr
Forum MemberPosts: 88
Like?
In reply to OpticsEngineer, Jun 9, 2013

OpticsEngineer wrote:

I have both.

Can you do a basic audio level test on both cameras by playing some bass heavy music really loud to check for distortion?

The HX9V does quite a good job with the stereo mic at gigs, I assume the 20V is the same, but I would like to know whether the WX300 is as good.

Gut instinct tells me that the mic on the WX will be inferior, like the old TX model I used to own, but you never know...

Cheers

OpticsEngineer
Like?
In reply to kaizr, Jun 10, 2013

"Can you do a basic audio level test on both cameras by playing some bass heavy music really loud to check for distortion?

I will try to find a time to try that but it may take a little while.   The last time I cranked up some  music from my college days, my daughter got a horrified wide-eye expression on her face, stared at the speakers and backed slowly out of the house feeling the wall with her hands all the way.  (I am not making this up)

DarrenSTL
New MemberPosts: 3
Like?
In reply to Detett1560, Jun 10, 2013

I wanted to weigh in about the WX300. I am definitely an amateur user so manual controls are not important to me. Although I have not been to a concert with my WX300 yet, I needed something that I could take with me that would shoot 1920x1080 video (i instead of p with this camera, but not a big deal), had optical stabilization and at least 18x zoom. It also had to be small. It was to replace my four year old Panasonic DMC-ZS3 - a great camera for its time but so bulky that I was no longer willing to take it anywhere with me.

I am SUPER impressed with the size and weight of the camera. The picture and video quality are much better (not just higher res) than the ZS3 and the battery life is outstanding. I was considering the Canon SX280 but once I learned about the poor battery life, that dropped off my list.

In summary, for the size, 20x zoom and battery life alone, the WX300 was the perfect choice for me. I had been waiting 18 months to replace the Panasonic but nothing quite fit until now.

Detett1560
Like?
In reply to DarrenSTL, Jun 10, 2013

DarrenSTL wrote:

I wanted to weigh in about the WX300. I am definitely an amateur user so manual controls are not important to me. Although I have not been to a concert with my WX300 yet, I needed something that I could take with me that would shoot 1920x1080 video (i instead of p with this camera, but not a big deal), had optical stabilization and at least 18x zoom. It also had to be small. It was to replace my four year old Panasonic DMC-ZS3 - a great camera for its time but so bulky that I was no longer willing to take it anywhere with me.

I am SUPER impressed with the size and weight of the camera. The picture and video quality are much better (not just higher res) than the ZS3 and the battery life is outstanding. I was considering the Canon SX280 but once I learned about the poor battery life, that dropped off my list.

In summary, for the size, 20x zoom and battery life alone, the WX300 was the perfect choice for me. I had been waiting 18 months to replace the Panasonic but nothing quite fit until now.

Thank you Darren for your feedback! I am leaning towards this camera now as well. I am just on the fence about image quality/macro ability. It seems the HX20v may have sharper images and better macro capability. I am going to go down to Best Buy in the next few days and see the WX300. I have a feeling tho I am going to want it because of its smaller size alone.

Joseph Broz
Regular MemberPosts: 297Gear list
Like?
In reply to Detett1560, Jun 10, 2013

Coins against place mat.

Here are a few macro shots of items that are hard to photograph with the DSC-WX300.  I own 12 cameras Nikon S9300, Panasonic Lumix DMC ZS8, Canon Power Sot SX 210 IS besides this little SONY DSC-WX300 compact and I very pleased with its performance.

black leather detail against black copper letter opener

Here are a few macro shots of items that are hard to photograph with the DSC-WX300

The lettering on this oil and incense container is in Greek no flash

Joseph Broz's gear list:Joseph Broz's gear list
Canon PowerShot SX210 IS Fujifilm FinePix F770EXR Canon PowerShot G1 X Nikon Coolpix S9300 Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX7 +5 more
Tom Hoots
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,744
Like?
WX-300 bottom-feeder.
In reply to Detett1560, Jun 11, 2013

Detett1560 wrote:

Hello all...I am considering a HX-20V but now see that Sony has this new WX-300 camera out now. I know they both have 20x optical but are the lenses/sensors the same?

Indeed, go to your local Best Buy or wherever, and spend about ten seconds going through the WX300's menu system.  That's as long as it will take, since there's virtually nothing in there.

If you want controls over stuff like Standard color or Vivid color, or saturation, contrast, or sharpness, well, forget about it.  You have absolutely no control whatsoever over any of those things.

So, if you can live without any control over the results you wind up with, the WX300 is indeed a very small camera.  I actually pre-ordered one until I found out that it was such a bottom-feeder in the Sony lineup.  Sorry, but I want more control over things than "nothing at all."

It's too bad, because there's just no reason at all for leaving controls like these out.  I'm not aware of any other manufacturer that does that kind of thing -- the cheapest Canon camera you can possibly find will still give you plenty of control over this stuff, for instance.  It's just inexcusable for an over-$300 camera, as far as I'm concerned.

Tom Hoots
http://www.pbase.com/thoots
http://www.dpreview.com/galleries/4330317199/albums

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads