Which new printer Epson 3885 or R3000 or Canon Pro-1

Started Jun 7, 2013 | Questions
Vikas M Gore
Contributing MemberPosts: 699Gear list
Like?
Which new printer Epson 3885 or R3000 or Canon Pro-1
Jun 7, 2013

I'm relatively new to printing larger formats and after doing a bit of research I am trying to decide on a new A3 printer.  I seem to have narrowed the choices to the Epson R3000 and a Canon Pro-1.  I am also tempted by the Epson 3885 because although it involves a much bigger outlay it doesn't appear much larger than the R3000 and it will save me having to outsource larger prints when I do make them from time to time.

I have a few questions, the first of which may probably have been better as a separate post:

  1. Are the 3885 and R3000 really about the same size.  I can't find a dealer ready to un-box them for me to check and I only have brochures to go by.  When I'm printing A3 rather than A2, will the larger format printer take the same amount of space?
  2. Is there an appreciable quality difference between the 3885 and R3000?
  3. Is there an appreciable quality difference between the R3000 and the Canon Pro-1
  4. Finally is there a significant manufacturer I am unjustly ignoring for this size and type of printer?
I would really like any advise from people who know more about printing than I do, including the relative ease of use in terms of the quality of printer drivers on a Mac. Thanks in advance.
-- hide signature --

- Vikas

 Vikas M Gore's gear list:Vikas M Gore's gear list
Leica M Typ 240 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1 Leica T
ANSWER:
Hugowolf
Forum ProPosts: 11,308
Like?
Re: Which new printer Epson 3885 or R3000 or Canon Pro-1
In reply to Vikas M Gore, Jun 7, 2013

Vikas M Gore wrote:

I'm relatively new to printing larger formats and after doing a bit of research I am trying to decide on a new A3 printer.  I seem to have narrowed the choices to the Epson R3000 and a Canon Pro-1.  I am also tempted by the Epson 3885 because although it involves a much bigger outlay it doesn't appear much larger than the R3000 and it will save me having to outsource larger prints when I do make them from time to time.

I have a few questions, the first of which may probably have been better as a separate post:

  1. Are the 3885 and R3000 really about the same size.  I can't find a dealer ready to un-box them for me to check and I only have brochures to go by.  When I'm printing A3 rather than A2, will the larger format printer take the same amount of space?
  2. Is there an appreciable quality difference between the 3885 and R3000?
  3. Is there an appreciable quality difference between the R3000 and the Canon Pro-1
  4. Finally is there a significant manufacturer I am unjustly ignoring for this size and type of printer?
I would really like any advise from people who know more about printing than I do, including the relative ease of use in terms of the quality of printer drivers on a Mac. Thanks in advance.

1. The Epson r3000 is 24.2" x 32" x 16.7", the 3885 (called the 3880 outside East Asia) is 27"x 15" x 10". So similar in size, the 3885 is wider, as you would expect, but it is has less depth, because it doesn’t take roll paper.

2. No, the inkset is the same, but the r3000 has a higher maximum resolution. In practice there are few paper that can support such a high resolution and show a vissible difference. You may notice a slight difference if you examine prints from both with a loupe. There is certainly no difference when printing on fine art papers; on high gloss photo papers and gloss film at small sizes when examined at close range, you may see a difference.

3. I have no idea.

4. No, Epson and Canon are pretty much it now that HP has exited that market.

Brian A

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Vikas M Gore
Contributing MemberPosts: 699Gear list
Like?
Re: Which new printer Epson 3885 or R3000 or Canon Pro-1
In reply to Hugowolf, Jun 7, 2013

Dear Brian

Thank you that's quite a comprehensive answer as far as the Epsons go.  Looking at the Canon Pro-1 specifications I realize that it's the largest printer of the three and actually much heavier.  Unless there's a compelling reason to go with the Canon I will probably land up choosing between the two Epson.  If my wife and I persuade each other that we really will use A2 prints often enough to justify the cost I will go with the 3885 or else go with the R3000.

Thanks again.

-- hide signature --

- Vikas

 Vikas M Gore's gear list:Vikas M Gore's gear list
Leica M Typ 240 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1 Leica T
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Vikas M Gore
Contributing MemberPosts: 699Gear list
Like?
Re: Which new printer Epson 3885 or R3000 or Canon Pro-1
In reply to Hugowolf, Jun 7, 2013

I assume that the Epsons do not have the >>Reduced printable area on some fine art media<< issue that the Canon has?  According to the DPReview review of the Cannon it insists on a 35mm margin for some types of art papers.

-- hide signature --

- Vikas

 Vikas M Gore's gear list:Vikas M Gore's gear list
Leica M Typ 240 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1 Leica T
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Hugowolf
Forum ProPosts: 11,308
Like?
Re: Which new printer Epson 3885 or R3000 or Canon Pro-1
In reply to Vikas M Gore, Jun 7, 2013

Vikas M Gore wrote:

I assume that the Epsons do not have the >>Reduced printable area on some fine art media<< issue that the Canon has?  According to the DPReview review of the Cannon it insists on a 35mm margin for some types of art papers.

There are apparently ways around the Canon margin thing. There is a Canon wide format wiki somewhere on the web that should be able to answer those sorts of questions.

No, Epsons do not have that problem. Borderless printing is unnecessarily restricted to certain sizes, but otherwise the minimum border is about 3 mm for all papers.

For the 3880, for example, borderless printing is restricted to:

3.5 x 5 inches ...... 3.5 x 5 ..... 89 x 127 mm

4 x 6  ..... .............4 x 6 ..... 102 x 152 mm

16:9 wide size ..... 4 x 7.1 ..... 102 x 181 mm

5 x 7 inches .......... 5 x 7 ..... 127 x 178 mm

8 x 10 inches ........ 8 x 10 ..... 203 x 254 mm

A4 ........................ 8.3 x 11.7 ..... 210 x 297 mm

US Letter .............. 8.5 x 11 ..... 216 x 279 mm

10 x 12 inches ....... 10 x 12 ..... 254 x 305 mm

11 x 14 inches ....... 11 x 14 ..... 279 x 356 mm

USB ...................... 11 x 17 ..... 279 x 432 mm

A3 ......................... 11.7 x 16.5 ..... 297 x 420 mm

Super A3 or A3+ ...... 13 x 19 ..... 330 x 483 mm

16 x 20 inches .......... 16 x 20 ..... 406 x 508 mm

A2 ..... ......................16.5 x 23.4 ..... 420 x 594 mm

USC ..... ...................17 x 22 ..... 432 x 559 mm

Epsons do have a black ink switch, and even though it is now automatic, it is still a pain.

Brian A

selected answer This post was selected as the answer by the original poster.
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Vikas M Gore
Contributing MemberPosts: 699Gear list
Like?
Re: Which new printer Epson 3885 or R3000 or Canon Pro-1
In reply to Hugowolf, Jun 8, 2013

Thanks very much Brian.  You obviously have a wealth of knowledge on the Epsons.  Once I clear enough space on my table, I'm going to go for the 3880/3885 I think.

Cheers,

-- hide signature --

- Vikas

 Vikas M Gore's gear list:Vikas M Gore's gear list
Leica M Typ 240 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1 Leica T
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
hjr13
Senior MemberPosts: 1,308Gear list
Like?
Re: Which new printer Epson 3885 or R3000 or Canon Pro-1
In reply to Vikas M Gore, Jun 8, 2013

Vikas M Gore wrote:

Thanks very much Brian.  You obviously have a wealth of knowledge on the Epsons.  Once I clear enough space on my table, I'm going to go for the 3880/3885 I think.

Cheers,

-- hide signature --

- Vikas

Don't forget with the 3885 you get a lot more ink, which brings the price closer to the 3000.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Vikas M Gore
Contributing MemberPosts: 699Gear list
Like?
Re: Which new printer Epson 3885 or R3000 or Canon Pro-1
In reply to hjr13, Jun 8, 2013

Very true.  Besides my wife, who I shrewdly introduced to photography soon after we married many years ago, is all for the larger print size.  So I think it's almost a done deal

-- hide signature --

- Vikas

 Vikas M Gore's gear list:Vikas M Gore's gear list
Leica M Typ 240 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1 Leica T
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
RS_RS
Senior MemberPosts: 1,472
Like?
Re: Which new printer Epson 3885 or R3000 or Canon Pro-1
In reply to Vikas M Gore, Jun 9, 2013

Last year I needed a new printer to replace my long-serving and by then dead Canon i9950. Canon options were the Pro-1, the Pro-10, and the Pro-100. One criterion was my dissatisfaction with the light-fastness of the i9950 prints, and although Canon claim that the Pro-100 inks overcome this, I decided to go for a pigment-ink printer. I considered the Epson 3000 and 3880 as alternatives but was put off by the black ink switch (the Canons have separate ink lines and nozzles, so the problem does not arise) and the ongoing Epson reputation for clogging. At that time the Pro-10 was newly released and the best price I could find was close to the price that the Pro-1 had gone down to, so I bought a Pro-1. It is a very impressive piece of kit, and I have no regrets about my choice. Obviously if you want a 17" rather than a 13" printer then it would not be for you. But if you are producing small prints as well as large ones you should check the paper-handling capabilities of any 17" or wider printer that you are considering.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads