Sony A58 VS Nikon D5100

Started Jun 7, 2013 | Questions
jack1031
New MemberPosts: 10
Like?
Sony A58 VS Nikon D5100
Jun 7, 2013

I really need some advice. I am very new to photography,right now I"m using a FUJIFILM FinePix S1500 point and shoot and an olympus evolt e300. I love to point and shoot and live view of the FUJI but I like the range of the olympus with the lenses that I have for it. I just have to use a tri pod and a remote because I shake to much to take a shot without blurring the image so I was looking at two because of the live view and the tilt screen the sony A58 which will give me the ability of the point and shoot with the range of varies lenses and the nikon D5100 with the VR lenses but I don't really know what one is better will the VR lenses give me the ability to use the camera as a point and shoot and over all what one is a better choice for the same amount of money? is anyone familiar with both and could you please give me some advice?

ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
Fujifilm FinePix S1500 Nikon D5100 Olympus E-3 Sony SLT-A58
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Rashkae
Senior MemberPosts: 1,144Gear list
Like?
Re: Sony A58 VS Nikon D5100
In reply to jack1031, Jun 7, 2013

jack1031 wrote:

I really need some advice. I am very new to photography,right now I"m using a FUJIFILM FinePix S1500 point and shoot and an olympus evolt e300. I love to point and shoot and live view of the FUJI but I like the range of the olympus with the lenses that I have for it. I just have to use a tri pod and a remote because I shake to much to take a shot without blurring the image so I was looking at two because of the live view and the tilt screen the sony A58 which will give me the ability of the point and shoot with the range of varies lenses and the nikon D5100 with the VR lenses but I don't really know what one is better will the VR lenses give me the ability to use the camera as a point and shoot and over all what one is a better choice for the same amount of money? is anyone familiar with both and could you please give me some advice?

Using a DSLR as a "point and shoot" means you are using live view (using the rear LCD to frame and compose). This has NOTHING to do with the lens. In LiveView, the A58 will be excellent thanks to the fast AF, the tracking options, face recognition, etc. The Nikon is far far far slower here.

The D5100, while a good DSLR, is using a much older Sony sensor. I would recommend the A58 easily.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Draek
Senior MemberPosts: 2,028Gear list
Like?

Get the A58, for two reasons: first, you'll have optical stabilization for all lenses you may buy, instead of having to check it on a per-lens basis as with the Nikon system; and second, because the mirror itself does not move on the A58, thus unlike the D5100 it doesn't generate vibrations that'd make the camera harder to stabilize.

Draek's gear list:Draek's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix F70EXR Samsung TL500 Canon PowerShot A1200 Sony Alpha DSLR-A390
shady1991
Regular MemberPosts: 212Gear list
Like?

I think a57 is better than both.

shady1991's gear list:shady1991's gear list
Sony SLT-A57
jack1031
Like?
In reply to shady1991, Jun 7, 2013

I like the tilt screen better on the A57 then the A58 I thought the A58 would have been better what makes the A57 better ?

Jorste
Junior MemberPosts: 29
Like?

I have the A57, and I love it

What I am wondering though is why you need a DSLR to avoid the shake, there might be some m4/3 or other mirrorless system that can do what you need? I don't know exactly, but I don't see the point of paying for the "viewfinder-technology" if you are not going to use it? (I might just have misunderstood how you are going to be using the camera though...)

CamGuy2
New MemberPosts: 16
Like?

shady1991 wrote:

Well, I recently tried a57 and a58. And personally I think the IQ on a58 is above the a57.

Specifically when it comes to colour and sharpness on IQ... But I would not say that Sony a57 is bad. But I think the pic attained from a58 is better.

Atgard
Regular MemberPosts: 427Gear list
Like?

I think the Nikons have excellent image quality, and slightly better low-light capability than the Sony SLTs. However, their lower-end bodies (3xxx and 5xxx, I think) lack in-body focus motors, which means you have to use newer lenses with in-lens focus motors. All the Nikons also lack in-body image stabilization (it is built into some lenses instead).

One of the things I liked about the Sony SLTs is that you can slap on some cheap but high-quality old Minolta lenses and not only be able to focus the darn things with an in-body focus motor, but also get the benefit of in-body image stabilization. So I could buy a $35 telephoto 300mm lens (with no focus motor or image stabilization) and get the full benefits of both, since they're built into the Sony bodies.

I also wasn't sure how much I would use the EVF and how much I would use the rear LCD screen. One thing I like about the SLTs is that you can use either one, or switch back and forth, and get the same experience. It is still WYSIWYG, and you still get fast PDAF auto-focus. The "live view" (rear LCD screen) mode of the SLTs is better than the competition, IMO.

Good luck with your choice! Both cameras will take excellent pictures in the right hands.

Atgard's gear list:Atgard's gear list
Sony SLT-A37
linslus
Contributing MemberPosts: 690Gear list
Like?
In reply to CamGuy2, Jun 7, 2013

CamGuy2 wrote:

shady1991 wrote:

Well, I recently tried a57 and a58. And personally I think the IQ on a58 is above the a57.

Specifically when it comes to colour and sharpness on IQ... But I would not say that Sony a57 is bad. But I think the pic attained from a58 is better.

In what way is colour better?

linslus's gear list:linslus's gear list
Sony SLT-A57
CamGuy2
New MemberPosts: 16
Like?
In reply to linslus, Jun 8, 2013

linslus wrote:

CamGuy2 wrote:

shady1991 wrote:

In what way is colour better?

The Sony a58  Distinguishes 753 more bits of color compared to the a57.

jack1031
Like?
In reply to jack1031, Jun 10, 2013

Well i just purchased the Sony a58. thank you everyone you have all be very helpful, I have just one more question but i will start a new thread for that since this one has been answered thanks again every one

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads