Travel sans PC

Started Jun 6, 2013 | Discussions
Alpha Jack
Senior MemberPosts: 1,402Gear list
Like?
Travel sans PC
Jun 6, 2013

I know this is the PC forum, but it seems like the best place to ask. I am about to travel to Africa where there will be no cellular service and limited opportunities to get an internet connection via WiFi. I don't want to take my laptop. The WiFi enabled SD cards have me wondering if I can set up a virtual network between my camera, iPhone and/or iPad and a WiFi enabled hard drive? What I would like to do is chose a few images each day to copy to my phone or iPad during the day and then transfer all of the files to a portable hard drive or large thumb drive at night. Then when I get to a WiFi enabled internet connection post the images of the day from my phone to FB as a blog of the trip. Am I better off just getting the camera connection kit for phone and pad and enough cards to not worry about off loading images each day? I know there used to be devices that would copy files between any 2 'dumb' storage devices without a PC, but I haven't seen those in awhile. Can a phone act in a similar way?

-- hide signature --

Zeiss taste...Beercan budget!

Alpha Jack's gear list:Alpha Jack's gear list
Sony Alpha DSLR-A700 Sony Alpha NEX-7
kelpdiver
Senior MemberPosts: 1,886
Like?
Re: Travel sans PC
In reply to Alpha Jack, Jun 6, 2013

Very long, relevant discussion in the nex forum:

http://www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/3497686
but I point to one particular mentioned item that might work for you:

"Another less expensive alternative. Kingston has a wireless card reader, called Mobilelite Wireless. It can send data through WiFi to tablet or phone. The card reader has two slots, one for SD card, another one for USB device. And you can copy data directly from SD card to a USB device, either a USB stick or portable harddrive. Or if you prefer, to the tablet or phone."

My own experience in Africa was that power was often unavailable, though for me I was on a mountain or on safari most of it, so that was part of why.  I opted for a lot of flash memory as it's extremely cheap these days and requires no power/weight.  (and don't forget spare battery or two for the camera)

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Alpha Jack
Like?
In reply to kelpdiver, Jun 7, 2013

Very long, relevant discussion in the nex forum:

http://www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/3497686
but I point to one particular mentioned item that might work for you:

"Another less expensive alternative. Kingston has a wireless card reader, called Mobilelite Wireless. It can send data through WiFi to tablet or phone. The card reader has two slots, one for SD card, another one for USB device. And you can copy data directly from SD card to a USB device, either a USB stick or portable harddrive. Or if you prefer, to the tablet or phone."

My own experience in Africa was that power was often unavailable, though for me I was on a mountain or on safari most of it, so that was part of why.  I opted for a lot of flash memory as it's extremely cheap these days and requires no power/weight.  (and don't forget spare battery or two for the camera)

Thanks. That is all very helpful.
--

jezsik
Senior MemberPosts: 2,567
Like?
Why not just bring a portable hard drive?
In reply to Alpha Jack, Jun 8, 2013

You seem to want to go through a whole lot of trouble for something that is very simple. At the end of the day, go to an internet cafe with your card reader and portable hard drive and transfer all your images. If you're clever, you have "portable app" software to manage and edit the images before uploading them to whatever site you choose.

Alpha Jack
Like?
Re: Why not just bring a portable hard drive?
In reply to jezsik, Jun 10, 2013

jezsik wrote:

You seem to want to go through a whole lot of trouble for something that is very simple. At the end of the day, go to an internet cafe with your card reader and portable hard drive and transfer all your images. If you're clever, you have "portable app" software to manage and edit the images before uploading them to whatever site you choose.

There is a workflow that I desire where that just doesn't meet my needs, but evenso, can you assure me that there is an internet cafe in Kitwe, Zambia?

-- hide signature --

jezsik
Senior MemberPosts: 2,567
Like?
In reply to Alpha Jack, Jun 11, 2013

Alpha Jack wrote:

jezsik wrote:

There is a workflow that I desire where that just doesn't meet my needs,

Uh, ok, but a network between your camera and iPad and WiFi hard drive does? That does not strike me as a robust solution, but I guess if you're married to a particular workflow, there's no point in changing.

but evenso, can you assure me that there is an internet cafe in Kitwe, Zambia?

I believe that you will find at least three of 'em on Oxford road.

kelpdiver
Senior MemberPosts: 1,886
Like?
In reply to jezsik, Jun 11, 2013

jezsik wrote:

I was in Africa for 17 days (Tanzania) and saw a single computer (dramatically less powerful than my iphone) for one night in that entire stretch.   Hell, even power was only incrementally available to me - any chance I got to charge batteries, I took.

I didn't look at the back of it to see if it had USB2 ports or not.

Simple solutions are often silly ones.  If it were that simple, he might not be asking the question.

Alpha Jack
Like?
In reply to kelpdiver, Jun 12, 2013

kelpdiver wrote:

jezsik wrote:

I was in Africa for 17 days (Tanzania) and saw a single computer (dramatically less powerful than my iphone) for one night in that entire stretch. Hell, even power was only incrementally available to me - any chance I got to charge batteries, I took.

I didn't look at the back of it to see if it had USB2 ports or not.

Simple solutions are often silly ones. If it were that simple, he might not be asking the question.

Yes, thank you for recognizing that I might have reasons to be asking. FWIW, I think Oxford Road must be in Ndola, but regardless, I will not be right in the city and will not have transportation to go into the city at my own whim. I have found an good solution so no need for anything further suggestions.

-- hide signature --

philmar
Senior MemberPosts: 1,899Gear list
Like?
In reply to Alpha Jack, Jun 13, 2013

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kitwe

Kitwe is the second largest city in terms of size and population in Zambia. With a population of 504,194 (2010 census provisional) Kitwe is one of the most developed commercial and industrial areas in the nation.

there will be plenty internet cafes there.

-- hide signature --

Phil M. - Toronto, Canada
Time to kill? Then have a look at a few of my photos, including one published by National Geographic : http://www.flickriver.com/photos/phil_marion/sets/

philmar's gear list:philmar's gear list
Canon EOS 30D Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Canon EF 16-35mm f/2.8L USM Canon EF 24-70mm f/2.8L USM +2 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads