Bought a lens am I screwed?

Started Jun 6, 2013 | Discussions
SyberianShot
Forum MemberPosts: 95Gear list
Like?
Bought a lens am I screwed?
Jun 6, 2013

I just bought a lens off of Craigslist. It is a 55-200 DX and they were asking $150 for it. I offered $125 and they agreed to meet me. Met with the seller and put it on my camera and it works fine so I paid her and went home. I took a look at the lens and saw that it is a non VR lens! I assumed it was the VR lens because it was priced like it was, I didn't even know there was a non VR version of this lens. Is this lens even usable without a tripod?

SyberianShot's gear list:SyberianShot's gear list
Adobe Photoshop CS6 extended Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 4 +1 more
evan47
Contributing MemberPosts: 700Gear list
Like?
Re: Bought a lens am I screwed?
In reply to SyberianShot, Jun 6, 2013

SyberianShot wrote:

I just bought a lens off of Craigslist. It is a 55-200 DX and they were asking $150 for it. I offered $125 and they agreed to meet me. Met with the seller and put it on my camera and it works fine so I paid her and went home. I took a look at the lens and saw that it is a non VR lens! I assumed it was the VR lens because it was priced like it was, I didn't even know there was a non VR version of this lens. Is this lens even usable without a tripod?

maybe its not the best but is more compact than the vr version. different optics though.

evan47's gear list:evan47's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX10 Nikon D7000 Nikon D7100 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 300mm f/4D ED-IF Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D +7 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
BillD7000
Contributing MemberPosts: 587
Like?

Is this lens even usable without a tripod?

Oh heavens, absolutely!  Keep your shutter speed at 2x the focal length, tuck your elbows in, squeeze, don't jab the shutter...  I shoot at 300mm without a tripod all the time.

Deleted1929
Forum ProPosts: 13,050
Like?
It's a fine lens
In reply to BillD7000, Jun 6, 2013

Sharper than the VR version at 200mm.

http://www.photozone.de/nikon--nikkor-aps-c-lens-tests/245-nikkor-af-s-55-200mm-f4-56-g-ed-dx-review--test-report

And a little lighter as well.

-- hide signature --

StephenG

stuntmonkey
Senior MemberPosts: 2,677
Like?

SyberianShot wrote:

That's still a fair price for the older non-VR lens, so you didn't get off too bad.

FujicaST605
Regular MemberPosts: 400Gear list
Like?

You overpaid by about $20.  KEH is selling LN- for $105, with their warranty ( 6 months I believe).

I would only buy gear off of craigslist that was a screaming deal.

FujicaST605's gear list:FujicaST605's gear list
Nikon D7100 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D Tokina AT-X Pro 12-24mm f/4 DX II Tamron SP AF 17-50mm F/2.8 XR Di II LD Aspherical (IF) +1 more
SyberianShot
Like?
In reply to BillD7000, Jun 6, 2013

BillD7000 wrote:

Is this lens even usable without a tripod?

Oh heavens, absolutely!  Keep your shutter speed at 2x the focal length, tuck your elbows in, squeeze, don't jab the shutter...  I shoot at 300mm without a tripod all the time.

Oh good! I thought I was going to have to drag a tripod along with me outdoors. Thanks for the shooting advice I will certainly do exactly as you said.

SyberianShot
Like?
In reply to FujicaST605, Jun 6, 2013

FujicaST605 wrote:

You overpaid by about $20.  KEH is selling LN- for $105, with their warranty ( 6 months I believe).

I would only buy gear off of craigslist that was a screaming deal.

I got such a good deal on the rest of my gear ($250 for D5100 & 18-55) that I will not let it bother me

trespassing
Regular MemberPosts: 166
Like?

SyberianShot wrote:

If you want to hopefully ensure sharp shots in good light then use shutter priority and keep your speed faster than 1/640 [1/(2x1.5x200) where 200 is the focal length, 1.5 is the crop factor and 2 is the recommended multiplier].  With this the aperture will likely stay at its maximum and Auto-ISO will adjust as necessary.  Then increase your shutter speed as and when desired.

-- hide signature --

Student in Brighton, UK

Deleted-pending
Senior MemberPosts: 2,665
Like?

It is a decent lens, that can lead to surprising results in bright light. To avoid motion blur, try to stay above 1/500 at 200mm and 1/125 at 55mm. The 55-300mm VR is a better lens though.

szal
Regular MemberPosts: 131Gear list
Like?
In reply to stuntmonkey, Jun 6, 2013

stuntmonkey wrote:

That's still a fair price for the older non-VR lens, so you didn't get off too bad.

Hmm, I disagree with that assertion. I don’t know the current EUR-USD exchange rate, but in Germany the DX 55-200 non-VR currently sells for an average €70 used.

Besides this supposed rip-off, I guess it’s a fine lens. And yes, shooting 200mm unstabilized without a tripod is no magic trickery. I, too, often shoot at 300mm without VR—using a pretty obsolete AF Nikkor 70-300mm f/4-5.6G.

-- hide signature --

Pics, or it didn’t happen!

szal's gear list:szal's gear list
Canon PowerShot A80 Nikon D50 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 55-200mm f/4-5.6G VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G II Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G +3 more
MalbikEndar
Regular MemberPosts: 185
Like?
In reply to szal, Jun 6, 2013

I have this lens and with care it is very usable hand-held. The compactness and light weight is a real advantage. After upgrading from a D40 to a D7000 I sometimes take it in a pocket even when I don't anticipate a need for a telephoto.

SyberianShot
Like?
In reply to Deleted-pending, Jun 6, 2013

I went and took some "test shots" earlier and it is a nice sharp lens, this little camera continues to amaze me! These were shot in shutter priority mode 1/640, ISO set at 400 (couldn't find the "auto ISO" setting).

ehazera
Senior MemberPosts: 2,074
Like?
The lens is sharp and light.

It only weighs 9 ounces.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads