What to take ? 4 days in London

Started 10 months ago | Discussions
Zlik
Contributing MemberPosts: 941
Like?
What to take ? 4 days in London
10 months ago

Hi, I am flying to London in a couple of hours. I will visit London with my girlfriend (= gotta take care of her between the shots ) for 3-4 days.

Here is what I packed so far:

• Nikon D800
  • Nikon 24-70/2.8 AF-S
  • Nikon 20/2.8 AI-S
  • Nikon 85/1.8 AF
  • ND8 + c. pol for the 20 + 85 lenses
  • lots of memory cards
  • second battery
  • small tripod (~10 inches high, high quality metal construction )
  • GPS tracker

What I am leaving at home:

• Nikon D3200
  • Nikon 35/1.8 DX AF-S
  • Nikon 50/1.4 AF (I would have taken it with me, but the left side has sharpness problems)
  • Nikon 80-200/2.8 AF-D
  • Nikon 70-210/4-5.6 AF
  • Nikon 28-85/3.5-4.5 AF
  • Nikon 105/2.5 AI-S
  • Nikon 135/2.8 AI-S

Would you change anything ? I am trying to keep the weight down (carrying everything all day) without compromising quality. I prefer to have less focal lenghts but with excellent quality than to cover almost everything with lower quality.

Nikon D3200 Nikon D800
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Zlik
Like?
Re: What to take ? 4 days in London
In reply to Zlik, 10 months ago

Oh and by the way, there is a shop on the way to the train station that has the Nikkor AF-S 50mm f/1.8 G at a very good price (converted to 205$), which will replace my deffective 50/1.4. I could grab it on my way, and leave the 85/1.8 at home to save some weight and to have a more usable focal length for low light, because I am not sure that I will do a lot of portraits there...

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Simon Garrett
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,584Gear list
Like?

Even in cities, I usually take something long (>150mm).

You mention a few things other than lenses; I assume you're including a charger for your batteries (and power adapter, or get one at the airport, or pretty much any tourist gift shop in London).  Flash?

-- hide signature --

Simon

Simon Garrett's gear list:Simon Garrett's gear list
Nikon D800
Peter Budd
Contributing MemberPosts: 806Gear list
Like?

Personally as someone who grew up in london I would not bother with the 85mm ( or 50mm ) unless you have something specific planned.  The weather is good in London at the moment 22-24 degres C. Lots of sunshine. You will need the 20mm if inside, churches etc.  For 4 days that would do me.

-- hide signature --

Peter
GMT

Peter Budd's gear list:Peter Budd's gear list
Nikon D700 Pentax K-3 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D +12 more
Keith Aitken
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,564
Like?
In reply to Peter Budd, 10 months ago

I agree w/ Simon - I would find that 70/85mm is not enough range, especially on FF. Obviously we all have different priorities

WA and low-light lenses are strong contenders for the prize, although with the D800 maybe not so vital. On FF I like to go out to around 200mm when travelling. Nikon's 180mm AF F/2.8 for instance makes a lightish, fast mid-telephoto - I know you don't have that one, and the 80-200 is a bit of a beast, but . . . Hard to leave the 24-70 behind, too

Even in churches, or inside buildings, one can sometimes need to isolate a higher item, statue, architectural accent, distant subject whatever, and 85mm doesn't cope with that.

I was just in London in April, using FF with a 28-200mm, 180mm, 85 f/1.4 and fisheye, all of which were used. Also had a 50mm. Though I tend to be a prime user, the 28-200 got the most walkaround use, then the 85mm, with the 180mm and 10.5 fisheye about the same . . .

Maybe you shouldn't take your camera, and just concentrate on the GF

Have a great trip

Keith

-- hide signature --

. . .

Zlik
Like?
In reply to Simon Garrett, 10 months ago

Simon Garrett wrote:

Even in cities, I usually take something long (>150mm).

You mention a few things other than lenses; I assume you're including a charger for your batteries (and power adapter, or get one at the airport, or pretty much any tourist gift shop in London).  Flash?

-- hide signature --

Simon

Yes, charger included . But I was forgetting the power adapter, thanks !

I don't know if I should take the 70-210/4-5.6 ... I am not a big fan of the quality and the whole bag is getting a little heavy... Difficult choice.

Zlik
Like?
In reply to Keith Aitken, 10 months ago

Maybe I should reconsider my travel kit. In the future, I might go for this set:

Nikon 18-35/3.5-4.5G AF-S
Nikon 50/1.8G AF-S
Nikon 70-200/4 G AF-S VR

And keep the 24-70 and 85/1.8 for events. Don't know if I should sell the 80-200/2.8 after getting the 70-200/4 VR...

forest23
Forum MemberPosts: 55
Like?
In reply to Keith Aitken, 10 months ago

I suggest a pub crawl in the back streets off Tottenham court road will be worthwhile.

So a 50mm 1.4 will come in handy. The british Museum is also nearby for still life! and crowd shots.

-- hide signature --

bob M

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads