New lens and firmware 2.0 for Canon EOS M

Started Jun 6, 2013 | Discussions
vlad2304
Regular MemberPosts: 236Gear list
Like?
New lens and firmware 2.0 for Canon EOS M
Jun 6, 2013

Finally it happened: after one year silence Canon announced new EF-M 11-22mm f/4-5.6 IS STM:

http://www.dpreview.com/news/2013/06/06/canon-announces-ef-m-11-22mm-f4-5-6-is-stm-image-stabilised-wide-angle-zoom-for-eos-m#press

And "Before using the EF-M 11-22mm f/4-5.6 IS STM with the EOS M it is recommended that users upgrade the camera to firmware version 2.0.0 or later".

It is not ready for download yet and would be interesting to see what else it can offer except support to new lens.

vlad2304's gear list:vlad2304's gear list
Fujifilm XF1 Samsung NX20 Canon EOS M Canon EOS 100D Samsung NX 30mm F2 Pancake +5 more
robbert100
Regular MemberPosts: 492Gear list
Like?
Re: New lens and firmware 2.0 for Canon EOS M
In reply to vlad2304, Jun 6, 2013

Great to see this new lens coming, let's hope there will be soon a tele(zoom) and macro lens as well!

I am very curious about the new firmware, will it be of influence on the AF speed of normal EF lenses as well or only effective with the EF-M lenses?

Next month we will know.

Best regards,

Rob

geckophoto.zenfolio.com

robbert100's gear list:robbert100's gear list
Canon EOS M
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
vlad2304
Like?
In reply to robbert100, Jun 6, 2013

Do you think we have to wait till next month?

Fujifilm XF1 Samsung NX20 Canon EOS M Canon EOS 100D Samsung NX 30mm F2 Pancake +5 more
robbert100
Regular MemberPosts: 492Gear list
Like?

Well, the EF-M 11-22 3.5/5.6 IS STM wll arrive at the shops at the end of this month so I guess it will take some days before the lens arrives at the buyers adresses and it will take a few days to get some proper idea about the performance of the lens and/or firmware.

robbert100's gear list:robbert100's gear list
Canon EOS M
vlad2304
Like?
In reply to robbert100, Jun 6, 2013

Thank you, Rob!

Frankly, I am waiting more for the firmware update than new lens.

I never tried UWA lenses but I guess I will look more in this direction.

Best,

Vladimir

Timbukto
Senior MemberPosts: 3,071Gear list
Like?

Both *seriously* bolster EOS-M now.  I just bought a 17-40L for my 6D for pretty cheap.  Now I might just sell it along with my 24-105L and get a fully fleshed out EOS-M with money to spare.  Reason being is that its wonderfully complementary to my 6D which I can keep for the portrait prime and 40mm f2.8 pancake.  The EOS-M can be my UWA and standard zoom + fast pancake body to complement.

It's boasted that the new UWA is better than the Canon 10-22.  This potentially puts it close to if not better than the 17-40L (I have a good cheap copy, but it no doubt is a bit weak in border/corners, etc).  However the IS = size + modern optics of the EOS-M UWA is very compelling.  My only hesitation would be how many *true* stops of handholding do you really get if you don't shoot with EVF?  Do you get the advertised stops for your 18-55 M lens shot without EVF?

Yes I know people will endlessly defend the UWA on FF...but to me having a small body in your bag ready to go without a lens swap where I can shoot portrait on one body, and jump to UWA on another is painless and fast!  I have a wonderful E-PM2 kit but its biggest failing currently in my system is that it competes where my Canon is strongest and its very expensive to shoot UWA and I'll get purple flare using the Panasonic UWA....

Timbukto's gear list:Timbukto's gear list
Canon EOS M Canon EOS 6D Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM Canon EF 200mm f/2.8L II USM +1 more
007peter
Veteran MemberPosts: 9,063Gear list
Like?
So impressive, even I (m43/nex) shooter is thinking about Canon EOS M
In reply to Timbukto, Jun 6, 2013

Timbukto wrote:

Both *seriously* bolster EOS-M now.  I just bought a 17-40L for my 6D for pretty cheap.  Now I might just sell it along with my 24-105L and get a fully fleshed out EOS-M with money to spare.  Reason being is that its wonderfully complementary to my 6D which I can keep for the portrait prime and 40mm f2.8 pancake.  The EOS-M can be my UWA and standard zoom + fast pancake body to complement.

Same here Tim.  As you know, I had a m43, switch to NEX, but was thinking about switching back to M43.  But after reading this news, I might hold off my M43 and go with Canon instead.

For me, a camera system is only as good as its available lens.  NEX disappointed me with its expensive and soft 35/1.8 for $450.  Panasonic offer me a sharp 20mm/1.7 (40mm equivalent) for around $350, I was thinking about buying it....

then I discover that many Ebay seller are selling a brand new EOS-M + 22mm f2 STM pancake lens for around $400...  That means for just $50 more than a Panasonic, I also get a free camera.  Sound like a great value to me.  Tim, if you found any good deal on EOS-M, drop me a PM

Timbukto
Senior MemberPosts: 3,071Gear list
Like?
Re: So impressive, even I (m43/nex) shooter is thinking about Canon EOS M
In reply to 007peter, Jun 6, 2013

007peter wrote:

Timbukto wrote:

Same here Tim.  As you know, I had a m43, switch to NEX, but was thinking about switching back to M43.  But after reading this news, I might hold off my M43 and go with Canon instead.

For me, a camera system is only as good as its available lens.  NEX disappointed me with its expensive and soft 35/1.8 for $450.  Panasonic offer me a sharp 20mm/1.7 (40mm equivalent) for around $350, I was thinking about buying it....

then I discover that many Ebay seller are selling a brand new EOS-M + 22mm f2 STM pancake lens for around $400...  That means for just $50 more than a Panasonic, I also get a free camera.  Sound like a great value to me.  Tim, if you found any good deal on EOS-M, drop me a PM

That same kit was recently was sold for only $350 from Newegg but that has expired.  A very nice surprise for EOS-M purchasers to get a pretty cheap UWA and will get the AF update.

Timbukto's gear list:Timbukto's gear list
Canon EOS M Canon EOS 6D Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM Canon EF 200mm f/2.8L II USM +1 more
JimMc
Senior MemberPosts: 2,834Gear list
Like?
Re: So impressive, even I (m43/nex) shooter is thinking about Canon EOS M

Anyone know if the firmware 2.0 update will effect the MultiFlex single shot focusing?

007peter
Like?
@Tim, saw the Newegg $350 deal, but I was ambivalent about EOS-M then...

Timbukto wrote:

That same kit was recently was sold for only $350 from Newegg but that has expired.  A very nice surprise for EOS-M purchasers to get a pretty cheap UWA and will get the AF update.

Head shake.... you snooze you lose.

I saw the deal , but I didin't jump on it due to my past negative opinion toward EOS-M earlier from its over-price $700 debut.

The $350 deal got me thinking about EOS-M.  I needed the psychological "Buy In Process" time to contemplatemy camera needs and choice.  By the time I came around to buying it, the deal is already gone (tears....)

The reason why It took so long is that I already own a NEX C3 mirrorless, and was about to buy a Panasonic GX1 for $225....  Had I never own a mirrorless, I would have jump on the deal ASAP.  Oh well, C'est la vie.

Dave Throgmartin
Contributing MemberPosts: 660
Like?
In reply to vlad2304, Jun 7, 2013

vlad2304 wrote:

Finally it happened: after one year silence Canon announced new EF-M 11-22mm f/4-5.6 IS STM:

http://www.dpreview.com/news/2013/06/06/canon-announces-ef-m-11-22mm-f4-5-6-is-stm-image-stabilised-wide-angle-zoom-for-eos-m#press

And "Before using the EF-M 11-22mm f/4-5.6 IS STM with the EOS M it is recommended that users upgrade the camera to firmware version 2.0.0 or later".

It is not ready for download yet and would be interesting to see what else it can offer except support to new lens.

This combination is a pretty exciting release for anyone who wants a Canon mirrorless.  The new lens sounds great and not terribly expensive.  The M mount 22 f/2 and 18-55 are both supposed to be quite good as well.

Any chance we'll see an option for a EVF soon?

Dave

RedFox88
Forum ProPosts: 21,600
Like?
In reply to vlad2304, Jun 7, 2013

vlad2304 wrote:

The DPR news items says the new firmware will provide faster AF with all M lenses.

JimMc
Senior MemberPosts: 2,834Gear list
Like?
In reply to RedFox88, Jun 7, 2013

RedFox88 wrote:

vlad2304 wrote:

The DPR news items says the new firmware will provide faster AF with all M lenses.

But with what focus mode?

RedFox88
Forum ProPosts: 21,600
Like?
In reply to JimMc, Jun 7, 2013

JimMc wrote:

RedFox88 wrote:

vlad2304 wrote:

But with what focus mode?

autofocus.

TB Rich
Forum MemberPosts: 55Gear list
Like?
In reply to RedFox88, Jun 8, 2013

RedFox88 wrote:

vlad2304 wrote:

I don't know if this is right or not but isn't the sensor in the EOS-M basically the same as the 650d? If so it would be nice if Canon could release a tailored update for the 650d liveview focusing too?
As tbh it's nothing short of dreadful really. Its not often I need this method of shooting but sometimes a low down shot with the screen twisted out it is handy to have.

TB Rich's gear list:TB Rich's gear list
Canon PowerShot G10 Canon EOS 650D Canon EF-S 15-85mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 4 HTC One +1 more
DrA
DrA
Regular MemberPosts: 159
Like?
Re:test
In reply to TB Rich, Jun 9, 2013
No text.
DrA
DrA
Regular MemberPosts: 159
Like?
Re:Great news
In reply to DrA, Jun 9, 2013

I am getting the M with 22mm for Travel and waiting for the new lens for wide. I compared this M to SL1 with 40mm pancake but it was too telephoto for travel and with 20mm it was too heavy for travel. I hope the new firmware will solve auto focus problem. I can wait for the new M body if anyone thinks it will be available by September.

Thanks

RussellP
Senior MemberPosts: 1,541
Like?
In reply to JimMc, Jun 10, 2013

Canon has announced the upcoming release of a new firmware update for the Canon EOS M compact system camera. Version 2 promises to boost the AF speed, making One Shot AF up to 2.3x faster when using FlexiZone Multi AF and the EF-M 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS STM lens. "The new firmware delivers improved performance as a result of a reworked AF Drive Control System and Canon encourages all existing users of the EOS M to download the new firmware version 2 once it becomes available at the end of June," the company says.

-- hide signature --
Jonavin
Regular MemberPosts: 415Gear list
Like?
Re: @Tim, saw the Newegg $350 deal, but I was ambivalent about EOS-M then...
In reply to 007peter, Jun 15, 2013

$350 may be the new price for EOS M. Canon Canada eStore, you can get the EOS M with 18-55 EF-M and 90EX kit for $350.

Jonavin's gear list:Jonavin's gear list
Fujifilm X100S Fujifilm X-T1 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R Fujifilm XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS +1 more
007peter
Like?
@Jonavin - thanks for the tip
In reply to Jonavin, Jun 15, 2013

Jonavin wrote:

$350 may be the new price for EOS M. Canon Canada eStore, you can get the EOS M with 18-55 EF-M and 90EX kit for $350.

Wow, $350 as official price would be a no brainier decision.  The flash alone cost around $120 in USA

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads