New Pentax K-50 leaked

Started Jun 5, 2013 | Discussions
Onyx S21
Regular MemberPosts: 101
Like?
Re: Quality, not quantity?
In reply to samhain, Jun 7, 2013

samhain wrote:

So what does this make, 6 pentax aps-c cameras one can buy new at the moment? Yay, another one- but with an uglier body that looks like a Canon. Yawn.

Hey Ricoh/Pentax- here's a lineup idea.
How about:
• one awesome point & shoot.
• one awesome waterproof point & shoot
• one awesome small, retro rangefinder styled aps-c
• one awesome aps-c dslr
• one awesome retro rangefinder styled FF
• one awesome FF dslr
• one awesome medium format.
• lots of super fast glass from now on. F2 & F2.8 zooms, f1.4(or faster) primes.

Thats it- No skimping, no more entry level this, enthusist that- just make top of the line cameras that make Pentax synonymous with Top shelf. Stop trying to be the camera company that caters to every damn type of amateur & be the company that caters to people who are serious about photography(notice I didn't use the word 'professional').

Pentax is in the unique position in that its the only dslr company to have a digital Medium format in its lineup. I'd like to see them have a solid, straightford upgrade path.
Aps-c --> FF --> MF.
No more than 2 models of each. Quality, not quantity.

totally agree!

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
paulkienitz
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,681Gear list
Like?
Re: Quality, not quantity?
In reply to Onyx S21, Jun 7, 2013

redsf1 wrote:

samhain wrote:

So what does this make, 6 pentax aps-c cameras one can buy new at the moment? Yay, another one- but with an uglier body that looks like a Canon. Yawn.

Hey Ricoh/Pentax- here's a lineup idea.
How about:
• one awesome point & shoot.
• one awesome waterproof point & shoot
• one awesome small, retro rangefinder styled aps-c
• one awesome aps-c dslr
• one awesome retro rangefinder styled FF
• one awesome FF dslr
• one awesome medium format.
• lots of super fast glass from now on. F2 & F2.8 zooms, f1.4(or faster) primes.

Thats it- No skimping, no more entry level this, enthusist that- just make top of the line cameras that make Pentax synonymous with Top shelf. Stop trying to be the camera company that caters to every damn type of amateur & be the company that caters to people who are serious about photography(notice I didn't use the word 'professional').

Pentax is in the unique position in that its the only dslr company to have a digital Medium format in its lineup. I'd like to see them have a solid, straightford upgrade path.
Aps-c --> FF --> MF.
No more than 2 models of each. Quality, not quantity.

totally agree!

I would object to the part about fast glass.  With modern sensors, the need for sharpness usually trumps the need for fastness, so the number of people who need fast glass is smaller.  I think Pentax's approach of making more lenses a bit slower than they used to is probably a good long term decision.  The existing selection is fast enough -- there's no reason, for instance, to try to push the FA Limiteds any faster than they are.  The DA* 55 could maybe use a companion or two, and a faster alternative to the 21 Limted would be great, but mostly, I don't think there's much call for anything faster at most lengths, especially not with zooms.

-- hide signature --

Q with 02 zoom and Nikkor 180/2.8 ED for birding
K10D, Sig 17-70, DA 55-300, FA 50/1.4 "billy bass"
discards: DA 50-200 "zipper", F 100-300, Sigma 135-400 "piglet", M 400/5.6 "the Great Truncheon"

paulkienitz's gear list:paulkienitz's gear list
Pentax Q Pentax K-3 Pentax smc DA 55-300mm F4.0-5.8 ED Sigma 150-500mm F5-6.3 DG OS HSM Samyang 8mm F3.5 Aspherical IF MC Fisheye +4 more
BryantP
Junior MemberPosts: 37Gear list
Like?
Re: Still no swivel screen ?!
In reply to Ari Aikomus, Jun 7, 2013

Ari Aikomus wrote:

What! No swivel screen...Pretty unbelievable

-- hide signature --

http://koti.mbnet.fi/tidis/AAikomus.jpg
- Ari Aikomus -
'Why should I feel lonely ? is not our planet in the Milky way?'

Thank goodness !  Not all of us want a swivel screen.  I do not want the exctra bulk & the potential for accidental damage associated with a swivel screen.

Bryant P.

BryantP's gear list:BryantP's gear list
Pentax K-5 +2 more
solarider
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,750Gear list
Like?
Plastic body, not magnesium
In reply to asahi man, Jun 7, 2013

Ok, so plastic then, not magnesium. Correct?

TIA

asahi man wrote:

Fl_Gulfer wrote:

This is Bull, how can the camera weigh the same as the K30. Mag Alloy is heavier than plastic. I think this is a April Fools reject.

Same construction like K-r and K-30

Best regards

-- hide signature --

History would be something extraordinary, if only it were true. Leo Tolstoy
Any dictator would admire the uniformity and obedience of the U.S. media.
Noam Chomsky
Science... became scientism, which means it didn't just pursue its own truths, it aggressively denied that there were any other truths at all... Ken Wilbur
At any given moment, there is a sort of all pervading orthodoxy, a general tacit
agreement not to discuss large and uncomfortable facts… Anyone who
challenges the prevailing orthodoxy finds himself silenced with surprising
effectiveness. - George Orwell
“It's not a matter of whether the war is not real, or if it is, Victory is not possible. The war is not meant to be won, it is meant to be continuous. … The war is waged by the ruling group against its own subjects and its object is not the victory over [the purported enemy], but to keep the very structure of society intact.” George Orwell, 1984
- - -

Onyx S21
Regular MemberPosts: 101
Like?
Re: Great. How about they bring lens prices back down to earth...
In reply to marike6, Jun 7, 2013

marike6 wrote:

And these are USA prices.  I cannot imagine what Pentax users in Europe are paying.

The prices here in the United Kingdom are not pretty either! shame really

asahi man
Regular MemberPosts: 432
Like?
Re: New Pentax K-50 leaked
In reply to linslus, Jun 7, 2013

linslus wrote:

asahi man wrote:

This design is the reaction of the forum and customer reactions about the K-30 design.

K-30 design was a Japanfriendly idea

Ricoh is thinking more worldwide NOW.

What exactly are the differences between Japan design and worldwide design?

Look at the K-30

Look at the Suzuki Katana:-D

Linus Svensson
Regular MemberPosts: 109Gear list
Like?
Wonder how much this'll go for...
In reply to RonakG, Jun 8, 2013

While certainly not in any way a bad spec'ed camera, there doesn't seem to be too many changes from the K-30, which makes me wonder what they can sell this for.

The K-30 can be had pretty cheap these days (and R&D etc is probably payed off), so if Pentax haven't changed things too much and don't have a too big R&D expense to cover, I could see this going really cheaply.

Weather sealing costs, but swivel screen & new expensive sensor as well as (probably) new shutter design etc is missing, so if they saved money here and sell this BELOW Canikon's offerings, this could sell really well, don't you think?

Sure we might complain of old sensor, no swivel etc but for the parent buying a camera for his kids might be swayed towards a cheapish DSL instead of the almost as expensive compact they were gonna buy....

Linus Svensson's gear list:Linus Svensson's gear list
Pentax K-5 Pentax smc FA 50mm F1.4 Pentax smc DA 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 AL WR
Ari Aikomus
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,886
Like?
Re: Still no swivel screen ?!
In reply to BryantP, Jun 8, 2013

BryantP wrote:

Ari Aikomus wrote:

What! No swivel screen...Pretty unbelievable

-- hide signature --

- Ari Aikomus -

Thank goodness !  Not all of us want a swivel screen.  I do not want the exctra bulk & the potential for accidental damage associated with a swivel screen.

Bryant P.

Oh yeah! So, you have many Pentax models to choose from! What about a one model with a swivel screen? For us who want it...Canon, Sony, Nikon, Olympus, Panasonic, Samsung... Every manufacturer  has more than one model with swivel screen - unfortunately my Pentax lenses not work with them.

Pentax has well working live view, focus peaking and video, a swivel screen would be the perfect addition to.

Ari

-- hide signature --

- Ari Aikomus -

petreluk
Regular MemberPosts: 297
Like?
Re: Wonder how much this'll go for...
In reply to Linus Svensson, Jun 8, 2013

Linus Svensson wrote:

While certainly not in any way a bad spec'ed camera, there doesn't seem to be too many changes from the K-30, which makes me wonder what they can sell this for.

The K-30 can be had pretty cheap these days (and R&D etc is probably payed off), so if Pentax haven't changed things too much and don't have a too big R&D expense to cover, I could see this going really cheaply.

Weather sealing costs, but swivel screen & new expensive sensor as well as (probably) new shutter design etc is missing, so if they saved money here and sell this BELOW Canikon's offerings, this could sell really well, don't you think?

Sure we might complain of old sensor, no swivel etc but for the parent buying a camera for his kids might be swayed towards a cheapish DSL instead of the almost as expensive compact they were gonna buy....

If the emphasis is on cheap, why bother with the weather-sealing and a proper pentaprism? No one else has either in this price range. So I'm not sure cheap is the real deal here.

In my experience, Pentax cameras are well built and produce excellent images, indeed Pentax excels at these two qualities. However, I wonder whether they aren't really stretching it with the specs of the K-50. No 24 mp, no tilt-swivel LCD, modest auto-focusing system compared to a Canon or Nikon, screw-drive kit lens at a time when others left this behind years ago ... without the weather-sealing, Pentax might find it pretty hard to ask more than a modest sum for the K-50. It's vulnerable to "nice camera but the feature set is light for 2013". Bear in mind that MILCs are getting better and better these days and no one has to worry whether they come with a pentaprism or a pentamirror.

I hope Pentax come up with some effective "outdoors and rugged" marketing.

LensBeginner
Regular MemberPosts: 214Gear list
Like?

"leaked"...

...poor choice of words for a waterproof model!

fakuryu
Contributing MemberPosts: 917Gear list
Like?
Top LCD and I'm sold

And I'll probably forget my K5II lust

-- hide signature --

There is no such thing a "Pro" level gear, just Pro level work.

fakuryu's gear list:fakuryu's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX7 Olympus PEN E-PL1 Pentax K-r Pentax Q Pentax K-5 II
Barry Fitzgerald
Forum ProPosts: 29,888
Like?
Re: Top LCD and I'm sold
In reply to fakuryu, Jun 8, 2013

fakuryu wrote:

-- hide signature --

If the shots are right then no top LCD, also wouldn't it make it too near to the K5II with a top LCD?

I admire Pentax for putting a decent effort in and the good viewfinders on these models, however has to be said good or not the sensor is now pretty much a few years back. I'm not sure they need another 16mp DSLR out there.

waxwaine
Contributing MemberPosts: 936Gear list
Like?
In reply to Barry Fitzgerald, Jun 8, 2013

98% of shooters don't ever need more than 6mpx. Other 2% should look after FF or MF cameras.

Jim in Hudson
Senior MemberPosts: 1,082Gear list
Like?
In reply to waxwaine, Jun 8, 2013

waxwaine wrote:

98% of shooters don't ever need more than 6mpx. Other 2% should look after FF or MF cameras.

No competition --> we give them what we say they need

Competition --> we better give them what they want and are willing to pay for

Jim in Hudson's gear list:Jim in Hudson's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX7 Pentax K-30 Fujifilm X-E1 Sigma 10-20mm F4-5.6 EX DC HSM Pentax smc DA 18-135mm F3.5-5.6ED AL [IF] DC WR +4 more
Dale108
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,172
Like?
Re: 16 MP vs 24 MP

While most of us don't need 24 MP, to the average customer that looks like a big difference.  I also would like 24 MP for the cropping ability.  While the Sony 16 MP is one of best APSC sensors, more MP and features like WiFi, articulating screen could make this much more desireable.

Dale

Barry Fitzgerald
Forum ProPosts: 29,888
Like?

waxwaine wrote:

I completely agree I still use my 6mp DSLR's

However

You know as well as I do in this game/market number talk (right or wrong) and Pentax are going to find it hard to sell another 16mp sensor DSLR, esp when Nikon have a budget 24mp one (albeit with a weak VF and cut down in other areas)

Marketing talks, or rather sells.

Kerusker
Contributing MemberPosts: 721Gear list
Like?
a no brainer

waxwaine wrote:

why did nature give humans this kind of brain? Most of them don't need it.

-- hide signature --

][.Kerusker
we don't see that we don't see (eye's blind spot)

Kerusker's gear list:Kerusker's gear list
Pentax K-5 II Pentax K-5 Pentax smc DA 15mm F4 ED AL Limited Pentax smc DA* 16-50mm F2.8 ED AL (IF) SDM Pentax smc DA 55-300mm F4.0-5.8 ED
fakuryu
Contributing MemberPosts: 917Gear list
Like?

Barry Fitzgerald wrote:

fakuryu wrote:

-- hide signature --

If the shots are right then no top LCD, also wouldn't it make it too near to the K5II with a top LCD?

I admire Pentax for putting a decent effort in and the good viewfinders on these models, however has to be said good or not the sensor is now pretty much a few years back. I'm not sure they need another 16mp DSLR out there.

It may be too near but the K5II still has a lot more going on vs a K50 with a top LCD (more manual controls, a battery grip a way better build and the 14bit RAW)

IMHO if the K30 had a top LCD before, it will blow out the competition and I'm a happy photographer with it Well I'm still using my trusty K-r anyway, no real need for me to upgrade when the K30 came out and no real upgrade if this comes out too and the K5II/s is still beyond my budget.

-- hide signature --

fakuryu's gear list:fakuryu's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX7 Olympus PEN E-PL1 Pentax K-r Pentax Q Pentax K-5 II
audiobomber
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,975Gear list
Like?
Re: 16 MP vs 24 MP
In reply to Dale108, Jun 8, 2013

Dale108 wrote:

While most of us don't need 24 MP, to the average customer that looks like a big difference.

Maybe Pentax is not after the average customer. The ideal Pentax customer is one who made an informed decision and chose Pentax over other brands because of the features.

While the Sony 16 MP is one of best APSC sensors, more MP and features like WiFi, articulating screen could make this much more desireable.

And more expensive. Or, forego photographically relevant features (100% pentaprism, WR, dual wheels, AF Adjust) and add marketing fluff like the above. I think Pentax is doing it right, the others are off on a tangent.

-- hide signature --

Dan

audiobomber's gear list:audiobomber's gear list
Pentax K20D Pentax K-3 Sony a6000 Pentax smc DA 15mm F4 ED AL Limited Pentax smc FA 50mm F1.4 +14 more
gooseta
Contributing MemberPosts: 703Gear list
Like?

It is hideous. And seems to be the same innards in a worse body.

-- hide signature --

Angad
angadsrin.zenfolio.com
X100 black
K5iis with Sigma 8-16/4.5-5.6, M 50/1.7, Sigma 70/2.8 macro, DA*300mm f4
6D, 16-35L2, 24-105, 50 1.4
In a Lowepro and a Peli 1510

gooseta's gear list:gooseta's gear list
Pentax K-3 Pentax smc DA 17-70mm F4.0 AL (IF) SDM Pentax smc DA* 300mm F4.0 ED (IF) SDM Sigma 70mm F2.8 EX DG Macro Sigma 8-16mm F4.5-5.6 DC HSM +1 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads