Wireless Remote for D700/D800

Started Jun 5, 2013 | Questions
msjhaffey
Senior MemberPosts: 1,343Gear list
Like?
Wireless Remote for D700/D800
Jun 5, 2013

My old Phottix has died.  No bent pins as far as I can tell, having looked very carefully.

Is there a Nikon wireless remote that works with the D700/D800?  I quite often take multiple exposures for HDR in dark buildings like churches and like to wander about while the camera takes its 7 or 9 exposures.

Looking in the manual and online there appear to be wired remotes from Nikon, but I'd prefer wireless.

-- hide signature --

Sean

msjhaffey's gear list:msjhaffey's gear list
Nikon D700 Nikon D800 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF Nikkor 85mm f/1.8D +1 more
ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
Nikon D700
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
downtowndave
Regular MemberPosts: 408Gear list
Like?
Re: Wireless Remote for D700/D800
In reply to msjhaffey, Jun 5, 2013

msjhaffey wrote:

My old Phottix has died.  No bent pins as far as I can tell, having looked very carefully.

Is there a Nikon wireless remote that works with the D700/D800?  I quite often take multiple exposures for HDR in dark buildings like churches and like to wander about while the camera takes its 7 or 9 exposures.

Looking in the manual and online there appear to be wired remotes from Nikon, but I'd prefer wireless.

-- hide signature --

Sean

I really enjoy using the RFN-4s. Simple to use and great range.

http://www.amazon.com/RFN-4s-Wireless-Shutter-Release-connection/dp/B005PCDSBQ

Also discussed in this previous thread

http://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/41913506

Enjoy.

downtowndave's gear list:downtowndave's gear list
Sony RX100 Nikon D70 Nikon D800 Nikon AF Nikkor 20mm f/2.8D Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D +4 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
msjhaffey
Senior MemberPosts: 1,343Gear list
Like?
In reply to downtowndave, Jun 5, 2013

Amazing!

$69 in USA (about £43)

£93 in the UK.

-- hide signature --

Sean

msjhaffey's gear list:msjhaffey's gear list
Nikon D700 Nikon D800 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF Nikkor 85mm f/1.8D +1 more
Art Jacks
Senior MemberPosts: 1,657
Like?

That is the release I wanted until I saw the price difference, maybe a few of us in the UK could get together for a bulk buy ?

Testing123
Regular MemberPosts: 421Gear list
Like?

B&H Photo has a sale on the Vello Wireless ShutterBoss right now (sale ends June 16, 2013) for $74.50 US:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/buy/Vello-Wireless-Shutterboss/ci/21523/N/4035153793?cm_mmc=EML-_-Promotion-FathersDay-_-130604-_-Body_Retail_VelloWireless

Hope that helps… Allen

Testing123's gear list:Testing123's gear list
Nikon D810 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II +1 more
KennyXL
Regular MemberPosts: 410Gear list
Like?

msjhaffey wrote:

-- hide signature --

Sean

I tried the RFN-4s mentioned below.  It was great except for 2 thing.  First, it physically interfered with the new Tamron 24-70 f/2.8 VC lens.  The Tamron lens has the AF and VC much closer to the mount than most lenses.  Furthermore, the lens is thick; it uses an 82mm filter.  That combination makes it a tad too wide to use with the RFN-4s.  You can make them work, but you have to remove the lens before you put the wireless remote on AND you can see it skewing the 10-pin connector.  It may not be a huge concern if you don't use it much, but it definitely physically conflicts.  The second is that I don't know if the RFN-4s has another other fuctionality other than as a wireless shutter.  It allows for AF with a slight push, but any additional features (other than Bulb mode) isn't supported as far as I know.  In other words, your HDR requirement may not be fulfilled.  I'm not sure why all the posters below are recommending this to you since, I assume, they've read your post and have experience with this device.  There's no intervalometer, no no multiple exposures, nothing.  It's pretty bare bones, but the quality is good.  For it's limited purposes, it's good, but it is limited.  I went with this:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008BMRE0I/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Unfortunately, it also interferes with (even moreso) with my lens, but I decided to also get this:

https://www.ppsna.com/product_info.php/products_id/738

I took that into the backyard and scraped the part that that interfered with my lens.  There's lots of plastic and rubber so it still has plenty of protection for the wires.  Furthermore, it allows the use of a GPS if I felt the need for one.  Best of luck to you.  Bye!

KennyXL's gear list:KennyXL's gear list
Sony RX100 Nikon D800 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II Nikon AF-S Nikkor 28-300mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 85mm f/1.8G +3 more
Doublehelix
Contributing MemberPosts: 773Gear list
Like?

This is not a Nikon remote, but I just bought one of these:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/750013-REG/Vello_RW_N1_FreeWave_Wireless_Remote_Shutter.html

-- hide signature --

James

Doublehelix's gear list:Doublehelix's gear list
Nikon D90 Nikon D800 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II Nikon AF-S Nikkor 85mm f/1.8G +2 more
Robin Casady
Forum ProPosts: 11,729
Like?
In reply to KennyXL, Jun 5, 2013

KennyXL wrote:

msjhaffey wrote:

-- hide signature --

Sean

The second is that I don't know if the RFN-4s has another other fuctionality other than as a wireless shutter.  It allows for AF with a slight push, but any additional features (other than Bulb mode) isn't supported as far as I know.  In other words, your HDR requirement may not be fulfilled.  I'm not sure why all the posters below are recommending this to you since, I assume, they've read your post and have experience with this device.  There's no intervalometer, no no multiple exposures, nothing.  It's pretty bare bones, but the quality is good.  For it's limited purposes, it's good, but it is limited.

The RFN-4s works fine with bracketing burst on the D800 and D700. Set up the bracketing burst on the camera as you normally would.

You can set the FN button to Bracketing Burst at f4.

Set the release mode on the camera to CH.

Press the FN button to tell the camera you want to do a bracketing burst.

Press and hold the release button on the RFN-4s. It will take all the photos in the bracketing burst and then stop.

Release, and briefly press the RFN-4s button again. This tells the RFN-4s you are done with the burst.

If you do such a bracketing burst in Live View, the mirror stays up between shots. If you do it in normal mode, the mirror drops between each shot.

-- hide signature --

Robin Casady
http://www.robincasady.com/Photo/index.html
"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts."
— Bertrand Russell

romfordbluenose
Contributing MemberPosts: 806Gear list
Like?
In reply to Robin Casady, Jun 6, 2013

Why not get another Phottix. Phottix sometimes fail because the cord breaks, contact Phottix and they may just do a straight replacement.

romfordbluenose's gear list:romfordbluenose's gear list
Nikon D800 Nikon AF Nikkor 18-35mm f/3.5-4.5D IF ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G VR Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 105mm f/2.8G IF-ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.8G +4 more
bobthemtnbiker
New MemberPosts: 18
Like?
In reply to msjhaffey, Jun 6, 2013
moony16
Regular MemberPosts: 419
Like?
In reply to Doublehelix, Jun 7, 2013

Doublehelix wrote:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/750013-REG/Vello_RW_N1_FreeWave_Wireless_Remote_Shutter.html

-- hide signature --

James

Thank you James---125 reviews @  B & H are very positive--I just bought one.  Best

JT

-- hide signature --

Who looks outside,
dreams; who looks
inside, awakens
Carl Jung (1875-1961)

Doublehelix
Contributing MemberPosts: 773Gear list
Like?
In reply to Doublehelix, Jun 11, 2013

Doublehelix wrote:

Just to update this thread...

I got the Vello wireless trigger for my D800, and I am very happy with it so far. I have had zero misfires or missed shots, and I can trigger from a very long distance, and even through walls (not that I would ever want to, but...).

I was a bit concerned about the size of the remote from looking at the pictures, but when I received it, it is a perfect size and is a lot smaller than I expected.

Overall, I am very pleased.

-- hide signature --

James

Doublehelix's gear list:Doublehelix's gear list
Nikon D90 Nikon D800 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II Nikon AF-S Nikkor 85mm f/1.8G +2 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads