Girl modelling / New Rokkor 50mm f/1.4

Started Jun 5, 2013 | Discussions
JoeyCF3
Regular MemberPosts: 108
Like?
Girl modelling / New Rokkor 50mm f/1.4
Jun 5, 2013

Picked up this lens the other day and used it during a shoot today. Enjoy!

FlyNavy
Regular MemberPosts: 390
Like?
Re: Girl modelling / New Rokkor 50mm f/1.4
In reply to JoeyCF3, Jun 5, 2013

Nice!

-- hide signature --
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
El Matadurr
Senior MemberPosts: 4,979Gear list
Like?
In reply to FlyNavy, Jun 5, 2013

FlyNavy wrote:

Nice!

-- hide signature --

Very, very nice. Especially the first one.

matthewdurrphotography.com

El Matadurr's gear list:El Matadurr's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-7 Carl Zeiss Touit 1.8/32
Len_Gee
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,468Gear list
Like?
In reply to El Matadurr, Jun 5, 2013

Very nice!

Do you have more?

Len_Gee's gear list:Len_Gee's gear list
Sony RX100 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX1 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G Vario 45-200mm F4-5.6 OIS Panasonic Leica Summilux DG 25mm F1.4
miro3
Senior MemberPosts: 1,851
Like?

Excellent!

I like the 1st and 3rd.

kcamacho11
Senior MemberPosts: 1,482Gear list
Like?

Very nice shots. The 1st one is the best. The only thing I would say is that in the last photo, the tiny sun spot at the tip of the model's nose is a bit distracting, but nice set of pics.

kcamacho11's gear list:kcamacho11's gear list
RX100 III
captura
Forum ProPosts: 14,100Gear list
Like?

Which Rokkor 50 1.4? There were several. Mine is the Rokkor MC PG.

captura's gear list:captura's gear list
Fujifilm X10 Sony Alpha NEX-7 Samsung NX1000 NEX5R Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 R +10 more
JoeyCF3
Like?
In reply to kcamacho11, Jun 5, 2013

kcamacho11 wrote:

Very nice shots. The 1st one is the best. The only thing I would say is that in the last photo, the tiny sun spot at the tip of the model's nose is a bit distracting, but nice set of pics.

Thanks everyone. Yeah, I agree. I could remove it in Photoshop, but I fear that I'll mess up the look of the nose lol. Maybe I'll play around with it though.

Here are a few more:

These are pretty much my favourite shots from today's shoot. I'm constantly amazed at what the NEX system can do with old glass.

JoeyCF3
Like?
In reply to captura, Jun 5, 2013

captura wrote:

Sorry, I should have specified. It's the MC Rokkor - PG. Got it for $60. Neat little upgrade from my MD Rokkor-X f/1.7. Although, I don't like how heavy the MC is.. I'm sure I'll get used to it though. Even at 1.4, this lens looks nice and sharp. I'm very impressed by it.

Now.. I just don't know if I should get the SEL50F18 later this month, or order a Lens Turbo for my new Rokkor.. thoughts?

boardsy
Senior MemberPosts: 2,197Gear list
Like?

Very nice shots from a nice lens (I have it also) & model, but I'd say that #3 required fill-flash or a reflector at the time, or in pp selective exposure boosting on the model's face which is a bit dark... if you can accept criticism from an amateur with no portrait skills!

-- hide signature --
JoeyCF3
Like?
In reply to boardsy, Jun 5, 2013

Thank you! You're absolutely right. I have the HVL-F20S but have no idea how to use it properly yet. I need to figure it out ASAP. I also placed an order for some reflectors so I'm itching to use them as soon as I get them! Thanks for your input, it really helps!

trax87
Regular MemberPosts: 375
Like?

Nice set.  I really like #2 in the second bunch.

captura
Like?

JoeyCF3 wrote:

captura wrote:

Sorry, I should have specified. It's the MC Rokkor - PG. Got it for $60. Neat little upgrade from my MD Rokkor-X f/1.7. Although, I don't like how heavy the MC is.. I'm sure I'll get used to it though. Even at 1.4, this lens looks nice and sharp. I'm very impressed by it.

Now.. I just don't know if I should get the SEL50F18 later this month, or order a Lens Turbo for my new Rokkor.. thoughts?

I've got both. The Minolta Rokkor MC 50 1.4 PG and the 50SEL1.8.

Both are very good lenses. Very sharp, although the Sony lens far exceeds in features (of course) and in it's multi-coating.) The 1.4 lens like most Minoltas has some amazing color renditioning.

I have an MC 55 1.9 which is almost as heavy as the 1.4, but is actually an excellent sharp pancake lens as good as the 1.4.

Even sharper is the 50 f3.5 macro.

My favorite is the  Minolta MD 50 f2 because of it's superior coatings, small size/weight, great bokeh and is good from virtually wide open. Not as sharp, however, but it has 'soul.'

Not all of the Minolta lenses were called Rokkor.

I need to do some tests comparing the 1.4 PG Rokkor with the 50E1.8.

Steve

Fujifilm X10 Sony Alpha NEX-7 Samsung NX1000 NEX5R Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 R +10 more
JayDreamer
Regular MemberPosts: 346Gear list
Like?

Great shots and model. Thanks for sharing

-- hide signature --

Thanks
Jay
Images from the mind are surreal!

JayDreamer's gear list:JayDreamer's gear list
Nikon D610 Nikon AF Nikkor 180mm f/2.8D ED-IF Nikon AF-S Nikkor 85mm f/1.4G Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.8G Rokinon 24mm f/1.4 Aspherical +7 more
JoeyCF3
Like?
In reply to captura, Jun 6, 2013

captura wrote:

JoeyCF3 wrote:

captura wrote:

Both are very good lenses. Very sharp, although the Sony lens far exceeds in features (of course) and in it's multi-coating.) The 1.4 lens like most Minoltas has some amazing color renditioning.

I have an MC 55 1.9 which is almost as heavy as the 1.4, but is actually an excellent sharp pancake lens as good as the 1.4.

My favorite is the  Minolta MD 50 f2 because of it's superior coatings, small size/weight, great bokeh and is good from virtually wide open. Not as sharp, however, but it has 'soul.'

Steve

Hmm.. now you have me wanting to pick up more vintage lenses LOL.

Which lens do you use more often? The SEL50F18 appeals to me because my shoots would go so much smoother / quicker with the help of autofocus.

saintz
Regular MemberPosts: 496Gear list
Like?
In reply to JoeyCF3, Jun 6, 2013

JoeyCF3 wrote:

captura wrote:

I have a Takumar 50 f1.4 and the SEL50. After missing an increasing number of shots I really wanted with the Takumar, I got the SEL50 and use it a lot now. It's a great lens.

If all of your shots were keepers, stick with the f1.4. If you had some focus misses that would have otherwise been great shots, the SEL50 is definitely worth it. It just makes everything so fast and easy and the AF with face detection should get you tack sharp shots every time.

saintz's gear list:saintz's gear list
Sony a6000 Sony E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Sony E 50mm F1.8 OSS Sony E 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 PZ OSS
captura
Like?
In reply to JoeyCF3, Jun 6, 2013

JoeyCF3 wrote:

captura wrote:

JoeyCF3 wrote:

captura wrote:

Steve

Hmm.. now you have me wanting to pick up more vintage lenses LOL.

Which lens do you use more often? The SEL50F18 appeals to me because my shoots would go so much smoother / quicker with the help of autofocus.

I agree, the 50/1.8 is a very good lens and I would use it the most for your reasons. Just got it a few weeks ago. All test reviews  were performed on a NEX-7 and yielded poorer results than the single test which was done on a 5R. Therefore it may be a much better lens than the general forum mythology.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads