Is Street Photography Even Possible in Paris?

Started Jun 4, 2013 | Discussions
unknown member
(unknown member)
Like?
Is Street Photography Even Possible in Paris?
Jun 4, 2013

After reading this, I have pretty much lost all interest in going to France.  I'll be there in a few weeks and taking photos was my goal.  The laws there are just beyond sickening.

What is it really like there?

http://photothisandthat.co.uk/2012/02/15/the-french-privacy-law/

rattymouse's gear list:rattymouse's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix F10 Zoom Fujifilm FinePix F20 Zoom Fujifilm FinePix F70EXR Fujifilm FinePix X100 Fujifilm X10 +9 more
Antioch
Senior MemberPosts: 1,832
Like?
Re: Is Street Photography Even Possible in Paris?
In reply to rattymouse, Jun 4, 2013

rattymouse wrote:

After reading this, I have pretty much lost all interest in going to France.  I'll be there in a few weeks and taking photos was my goal.  The laws there are just beyond sickening.

Apparently this applies to publishing. You can apparently take all the photos you want, and print them for your own usage, and apparently publish them elsewhere (not too clear on this part).

Meaning that you cannot publish them in France.

Regards

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
mjack101
Regular MemberPosts: 108
Like?
In reply to rattymouse, Jun 4, 2013

rattymouse wrote:

Unless you plan on taking pictures of Kate Windsor topless for use in the tabloid press you will be fine. The laws are there to protect the wealthy and privileged so for practical purposes street photography in Paris will be ok. It is such a beautiful city, you will have a great time.

Fotodiox Sara
New MemberPosts: 6
Like?
In reply to mjack101, Jun 10, 2013

I spent a month in Paris and never had an issue taking street photography.  I was all over the city and the countryside, during the day and at night- no issues, even when standing next to police and military members.

You should be good.

fotophool
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,788
Like?
I had no problems (pics)
In reply to rattymouse, Jun 10, 2013

It's full of tourists and cameras, like any other big European city.

My Flickr Pics

Near the Opera House

L'Opera!

Or, if you're really worried, just shoot the statues!

The Louvre

scarlet knight
Regular MemberPosts: 103Gear list
Like?
Have fun with your camera in Paris!
In reply to fotophool, Jun 10, 2013

I live in the USA. If someone asked me where I would want to go for a weekend of neighborhood exploration, I would pick Paris. Take your camera, focus on the architecture and great sites and don't invade people's privacy and you will have a great time!

scarlet knight's gear list:scarlet knight's gear list
Nikon D3100 Fujifilm X-T1 Sony a6000
Fotogroup
Forum MemberPosts: 77
Like?
In reply to rattymouse, Jun 10, 2013

Paris is the home of Street Photography. I have been shooting there, since 1969, with never a problem. including many images of the Police patrolling many events and demonstration's.

Study the works of Henri Cartier Bresson before you go. He was the master. If you are on Facebook, look at Peter Turnley's page and "Like" him. If not, look at his web page. You'll be ordering plane ticket's yet today.

One of the best places I have found to shoot is the Rue Mouffetard, especially on a Sunday morning after 9:30. Mouffetard is a Market Street, filled with the people of Paris. Inexpensive restaurants and shops abound, and on Sundays, you will find musicians and people dancing in the street to traditional French music. There will be a small number of street performers also.  Any day, except Monday, is great, especially after 5 PM when everyone is looking to buy everything needed for the evening meal. Cartier Bresson shot many of his most iconic images here. Hemingway lived at the top of the Street. The best news, few tourists! (Metro Line 7, Censieur Daubenton Stop) Hotel Esperance is a great two star, located two blocks away, to make your base in Paris. Line 7 stops at, or connects to, everyplace you will want see or shoot.

(Mouffetard is one of the most pickpocket free streets in Paris, as is Line 7, because these are areas used by regular Parisian's. The heavier the tourist population, the more pickpockets.)

MRM4350
Senior MemberPosts: 1,510Gear list
Like?
In reply to mjack101, Jun 11, 2013

mjack101 wrote:

It is such a beautiful city, you will have a great time.

Amen to that!

-- hide signature --
Sarcasmo
Junior MemberPosts: 48Gear list
Like?
In reply to rattymouse, Jun 11, 2013

If you let knee-jerk articles color your perceptions of the world and influence your travel decisions then you are better off not leaving your house.  Laws like this exist to provide recourse from abuse.  The U.S. and Europe are filled with them in every aspect of your daily life, and yet they don't usually interfere with your ability to enjoy yourself, do they?  We've all traveled, and we've all taken a million photographs.  Do you really think this will change that, ever?

Sarcasmo's gear list:Sarcasmo's gear list
Nikon D7100 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-105mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF Nikkor 70-300mm f/4-5.6G Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.8G +6 more
JamesRL
Senior MemberPosts: 2,339Gear list
Like?
In reply to rattymouse, Jun 11, 2013

I will add my name to the crowd. I was there for a week, and never had a problem. Our tour guide did tell us about photographing the Eiffel Tour at night, but we did anyway.

I have some rather poor samples in my gallery, it helped convince me to get a dSLR.

JamesRL's gear list:JamesRL's gear list
Nikon D7000 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 16-85mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G VR +6 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads