How important is the D?

Started Jun 3, 2013 | Discussions
JVPhotography
Regular MemberPosts: 251
Like?
How important is the D?
Jun 3, 2013

I'm considering buying a non D lens but will shoot matrix metering and flash with it almost 100% of the time.

Is this a bad idea?

kithg
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,190Gear list
Like?
Re: How important is the D?
In reply to JVPhotography, Jun 3, 2013

My older 50 f 1.8 is a non-D lens. It doesn't give your camera distance information, or your flash either. But it will AF just fine.

-- hide signature --
 kithg's gear list:kithg's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS7 Nikon D7000 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6G IF-ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G VR +4 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
brightcolours
Veteran MemberPosts: 9,735
Like?
Makes no sense at all.

JVPhotography wrote:

I'm considering buying a non D lens but will shoot matrix metering and flash with it almost 100% of the time.

Is this a bad idea?

Why do you want a non-D lens for matrix metering of all things and flash?? Are you just trying to get reactions or something?

JVPhotography
Regular MemberPosts: 251
Like?
Makes perfect sense
In reply to brightcolours, Jun 3, 2013

Makes perfect sense. There were some wonderful optics long before D was introduced.

I don't believe any of the 3rd party lenses have the distance information, but maybe I am wrong?

PHXAZCRAIG
Forum ProPosts: 11,022Gear list
Like?

I shot my 85F1.8 AF (non-D) and (a lot less often) my 50F1.8 AF (non-D) for over 15 years.   The 85 got used a pretty fair amount with flash.

I can't say I've ever seen a shot that came out 'wrong' because of lack of D info.

The D-related info (distance) is, in my opinion, only used in a rare circumstance with flash to help determine the flash power to be used on a subject, probably when there is some very reflective element or perhaps back lighting involved.

Matrix metering works fine with AF lenses.   So does flash, 99.9% of the time.

-- hide signature --

Craig
www.cjcphoto.net

PHXAZCRAIG's gear list:PHXAZCRAIG's gear list
Nikon 1 V1 Nikon D200 Nikon D300 Nikon D700 Nikon D800E +32 more
RBFresno
Veteran MemberPosts: 9,343Gear list
Like?
I worried a bit a about non-D" withthe Zeiss 100/2.

JVPhotography wrote:

Is this a bad idea?

HI!

I had this same concern before I got the Carl Zeiss 100/2 ZF Makro, but finally got it, figuring I'd try some way to deal with the non-D issue and flash.

In practice, it's never been a problem for me. This was heavily back lit:

Nikon D3 ,Carl Zeiss Makro-Planar T* 2/100 ZF ,SB-900
1/2000s f/2.8 at 100.0mm iso200

Best Regards,

RB

RBFresno's gear list:RBFresno's gear list
Nikon D3 Nikon D200 Nikon D2H Nikon D4 Nikon AF DX Fisheye-Nikkor 10.5mm f/2.8G ED +16 more
brightcolours
Veteran MemberPosts: 9,735
Like?
Re: Makes perfect sense
In reply to JVPhotography, Jun 4, 2013

JVPhotography wrote:

Makes perfect sense. There were some wonderful optics long before D was introduced.

So tell me, which wonderful optics were there, that did not re-appear as D version?

I don't believe any of the 3rd party lenses have the distance information, but maybe I am wrong?

You are wrong.

And it still makes no sense at all, saying you are going to get a non-D and then only shoot it with matrix metering and flash.

Catalana
Senior MemberPosts: 1,128Gear list
Like?
Re: I worried a bit a about non-D" withthe Zeiss 100/2.
In reply to RBFresno, Jun 4, 2013

The "C" lenses seem to do just fine...

Catalana's gear list:Catalana's gear list
Pentax K-5 Nikon D600 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 18-35mm f/3.5-4.5G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.4G Nikon AF-Nikkor 80-200mm f/2.8D ED +9 more
bakhtyar kurdi
Regular MemberPosts: 407
Like?
there is no difference
In reply to RBFresno, Jun 4, 2013

The only difference is the letter (D)

If you remove the letter from a (D) lens, and add that letter to a non D lens, no one can find out which one is which, even Nikon experts.

i-TTL uses pre flashes to calculate the exposure, no D needed.

Use a D lens and a none D lens in any situation, and tell me if you find any difference in exposure.

jdrpc
Contributing MemberPosts: 502Gear list
Like?
Re: there is no difference (NOW) then, there was, but small...
In reply to bakhtyar kurdi, Jun 4, 2013

bakhtyar kurdi wrote:

The only difference is the letter (D)

If you remove the letter from a (D) lens, and add that letter to a non D lens, no one can find out which one is which, even Nikon experts.

i-TTL uses pre flashes to calculate the exposure, no D needed.

Use a D lens and a none D lens in any situation, and tell me if you find any difference in exposure.

The D lens were for the time of the 'old' TTL flash.... and still, for most occasions, there was no difference whatsoever...

It was more like a marketing gimmick, real World difference was null or minimal...

jdrpc's gear list:jdrpc's gear list
Nikon D700 Nikon D300 Fujifilm FinePix S2 Pro +1 more
Leonard Shepherd
Veteran MemberPosts: 8,647Gear list
Like?

D can fine tune matrix exposure in some situations by up to about 0.75 stops - e.g. long focus distance low contrast scenes usually works better with slight under exposure.

Assuming you are digital often there is time to check the histogram and make any adjustment you think might produce a better result.

Leonard Shepherd's gear list:Leonard Shepherd's gear list
Nikon D800 Nikon D7100 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 16-35mm f/4G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED +19 more
Art Jacks
Senior MemberPosts: 1,685
Like?
In reply to Leonard Shepherd, Jun 4, 2013

A quick hijack, I still have a couple of pre D lens  bought at the time of the F4, when AF ing the lens the manual focus ring rotates, was there a later version of the pre D lens where this did not happen or was the next upgrade straight to the D versions ? They both work perfectly but the rotating manual focus ring means being careful when holding the lens.

bakhtyar kurdi
Regular MemberPosts: 407
Like?
In reply to Art Jacks, Jun 4, 2013

Rotating manual focus has nothing to do with D

I have D and non D version of the same lens both rotating

schipp
Forum MemberPosts: 71Gear list
Like?

I have a 24 mm and a 85 mm non-D versions, no problem with metering and/or flash.

And a lot cheaper !

schipp's gear list:schipp's gear list
Fujifilm X20 Nikon D610 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 85mm f/1.8G Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-85mm F3.5-4.5G ED VR +2 more
Zlik
Contributing MemberPosts: 989
Like?

JVPhotography wrote:

Is this a bad idea?

I have compared the 80-200/2.8 AF non-D vs the D version, with and without flash, with various subjects. I literally saw 0 difference in focus accuracy  (other than the D being a little faster thanks to a slight mechanical update), metering, and flash exposure. Don't worry about going with non-D lenses.

mbernard
Senior MemberPosts: 1,073
Like?

I have five pre-D Nikkors. Although I use them rarely at present, I have not been able to see any difference with the D-Nikkors concerning the exposure or AF.

Michael Benveniste
Senior MemberPosts: 1,789Gear list
Like?

bakhtyar kurdi wrote:

Rotating manual focus has nothing to do with D

Quite true; they are independent "features."  But in at least two cases, Nikon made significant design changes between the "D" and "non-D" versions of a lens.  The two I can think of are the 28mm f/2.8D (improved), and the 35-105mm f/3.5~4.5D (not so much).

In the latter case, I wouldn't be surprised if the behavior at issue also changed.

Michael Benveniste's gear list:Michael Benveniste's gear list
Nikon Coolpix 995 Nikon D200 Nikon D800 Nikon 1 V1 Sigma 12-24mm F4.5-5.6 EX DG Aspherical HSM +29 more
mikeyyy
New MemberPosts: 12
Like?
In reply to JVPhotography, Jun 6, 2013

I have a nikon 35-70mm f2.8 non d lens and when I shoot with flash it seems to make a differance I use a sb-600 flash on a d7000 and I get better resaults when the flash is in the FP mode only (I turn off BL) the exposure is more consistent.

turbsy
Contributing MemberPosts: 688Gear list
Like?
Re: Makes perfect sense
In reply to brightcolours, Jun 6, 2013

JVPhotography wrote:

So tell me, which wonderful optics were there, that did not re-appear as D version?

You are wrong.

And it still makes no sense at all, saying you are going to get a non-D and then only shoot it with matrix metering and flash.

Maybe because it is cheaper? Just because it makes no sense to you doesn't mean your right.

turbsy's gear list:turbsy's gear list
Olympus XZ-1 Nikon D800 Nikon D300 Nikon D50 Sigma 24-70mm F2.8 EX DG Macro +11 more
Peter Damroth
Contributing MemberPosts: 577Gear list
Like?
In reply to Art Jacks, Jun 6, 2013

Art Jacks wrote:

A quick hijack, I still have a couple of pre D lens  bought at the time of the F4, when AF ing the lens the manual focus ring rotates, was there a later version of the pre D lens where this did not happen or was the next upgrade straight to the D versions ? They both work perfectly but the rotating manual focus ring means being careful when holding the lens.

ALSO, I think the AF nonD lens may not allow manual focus fine tuning when using the lens in AF mode....

-- hide signature --

Peter Damroth Photography

Peter Damroth's gear list:Peter Damroth's gear list
Kodak DCS Pro SLR/n Nikon D300 Nikon D600 Nikon AF Micro-Nikkor 60mm f/2.8D Nikon AF Nikkor 24mm f/2.8D +14 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads