Fuji finepix SL1000 vs Canon SX50!!!!!

Started 10 months ago | Discussions
spytrek007
Forum MemberPosts: 57Gear list
Like?
Fuji finepix SL1000 vs Canon SX50!!!!!
10 months ago

Is the fuji SL1000 worth it? does it produce good quality images?

Out of the three 50X zoom cameras, I have decided for the Fuji SL1000 mainly because of its solid build and better quality EVF.

Sony HX300 is out of question as it does not have RAW and no hot shoe for external flash.

The image quality of canon sx50 is not bad but Fuji SL1000 is great as well. How good is this camera for taking creative shots? Could someone post a link to external gallery of photos taken by this camera? Maybe on flickr or elsewhere.

According to some people i know, they avoid Fuji cameras due to poor image quality and have discouraged me from buying Fuji film. How much of this holds true?

spytrek007's gear list:spytrek007's gear list
Canon EOS 600D Tamron SP AF 90mm F/2.8 Di Macro Tamron SP 70-300mm F/4-5.6 Di VC USD Sigma 17-70mm F2.8-4 DC Macro OS HSM Tamron 18-270mm F/3.5-6.3 Di II VC PZD
Fujifilm FinePix SL1000 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX300
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
jcmarfilph
Senior MemberPosts: 7,327Gear list
Like?
Re: Fuji finepix SL1000 vs Canon SX50!!!!!
In reply to spytrek007, 10 months ago

Check out the thread I have created before...

http://www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/3391809

-=[ Joms ]=-

jcmarfilph's gear list:jcmarfilph's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix HS50 EXR +1 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
spytrek007
Like?
In reply to jcmarfilph, 10 months ago

jcmarfilph wrote:

-=[ Joms ]=-

It seems like the canon sx50 has better image quality than the Fuji SL1000. The colours of the sx50 appear to be more saturated than the sl1000. Colours of the SL1000 looks slightly less saturated in comparison. The bird picture as stated as too much noise even at ISO 200.

Canon EOS 600D Tamron SP AF 90mm F/2.8 Di Macro Tamron SP 70-300mm F/4-5.6 Di VC USD Sigma 17-70mm F2.8-4 DC Macro OS HSM Tamron 18-270mm F/3.5-6.3 Di II VC PZD
DStan
Forum ProPosts: 10,531
Like?

spytrek007 wrote:

jcmarfilph wrote:

-=[ Joms ]=-

It seems like the canon sx50 has better image quality than the Fuji SL1000. The colours of the sx50 appear to be more saturated than the sl1000. Colours of the SL1000 looks slightly less saturated in comparison. The bird picture as stated as too much noise even at ISO 200.

Given the choices, I'd go for a Fuji HS50 EXR or if you can stretch the budget an X-S1. I briefly had an SL1000 and sent it back to the dealer and got an HS50 for my wife, which is more than she expected but to me acceptable. I use an X-S1 or a DSLR if my arms are feeling up to it.

-- hide signature --

Stan ;o()
http://standavidson.com/images/MacroSalt.jpg
In the spirit of Occam’s Razor one should embrace the less complicated formulation or simply put, less is more.
http://standavidson.com/post/Birds

SLT319
Junior MemberPosts: 46
Like?

Hi

No pictures to show you I'm afraid but I did a comparison between the 2 cameras (and others) when I was buying a superzoom for my girlfriend (working in a camera shop helped enormously!) - result was that I bought the Canon. It's image quality was a lot better than the Fuji SL1000 in the tests i did, particularly at iso 200 and above. And that's critical, because you will be shooting at higher iso's as you zoom in due to smaller aperture. Colours and sharpness were all superior as well. I love the Fuji brand and I didn't get to do head to head vs the X-S1, where the Canon may well have met it's match.

regards

Simon

Sactojim
Senior MemberPosts: 2,449
Like?
Re: Read this review
In reply to SLT319, 10 months ago

Quote from Photographyblog.com on the Fuji SL1000 image quality: "Despite our reservations about the noise, the image quality is very good. Taking pictures at low ISO will produce very high quality results.. The images are well exposed, sharp and colourful. The digital filters and effects are fun to use, such as Toy camera and Selective colour".

Link:http://www.photographyblog.com/reviews/fujifilm_finepix_sl1000_review/conclusion/

I have the Fuji S8200 (40x zoom) and it has the same non EXR sensor as the SL1000. I have been very pleased with it's IQ, fast to lock in focus, handling, and burst is fast too. The SL1000 is RAW capable, while the S8200 is not. I also like the colors that Fuji gives compared to Canon..personal and subjective for sure. I had a Canon SX40 and still think it gave better IQ than what I have seen from the SX50 and be aware that the Canon tends to "hunt" focus at the long end.

A few images below from my S8200 with the same sensor as SL1000

jcmarfilph
Like?
In reply to SLT319, 10 months ago

SLT319 wrote:

Hi

No pictures to show you I'm afraid but I did a comparison between the 2 cameras (and others) when I was buying a superzoom for my girlfriend (working in a camera shop helped enormously!) - result was that I bought the Canon. It's image quality was a lot better than the Fuji SL1000 in the tests i did, particularly at iso 200 and above. And that's critical, because you will be shooting at higher iso's as you zoom in due to smaller aperture. Colours and sharpness were all superior as well. I love the Fuji brand and I didn't get to do head to head vs the X-S1, where the Canon may well have met it's match.

regards

Simon

SX50 has similar IQ with SX40. I have done a side-by-side comparison of SX40 and HS50 and the result is well just look at my HS50 review.

http://www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/3475589

-=[ Joms ]=-

spytrek007
Like?

Purchased the canon sx50.

DStan
Like?

spytrek007 wrote:

Enjoy your new camera. I guess Joms is mad at you now, hehehe. 

jcmarfilph
Like?
In reply to DStan, 10 months ago

DStan wrote:

spytrek007 wrote:

Nope not at all. He chose one among turtlezooms so be it.

DStan
Like?

jcmarfilph wrote:

DStan wrote:

spytrek007 wrote:

Nope not at all. He chose one among turtlezooms so be it.

Well now you've gone and done it, he probably won't be coming around here much more. 

spytrek007
Like?

The reason i chose the canon over the fuji is colours produced in canon sx40 is more saturated while the colours produced in SL1000 look slightly pale in comparison. I compared the ISO test images on the ephotozine website for both cameras.

Also see this image.

Advanced Filter - Partial Colour Orange | 1/30 sec | f/4.9 | 14.7 mm | ISO 800

jcmarfilph
Like?

spytrek007 wrote:

The reason i chose the canon over the fuji is colours produced in canon sx40 is more saturated while the colours produced in SL1000 look slightly pale in comparison. I compared the ISO test images on the ephotozine website for both cameras.

Also see this image.

That's a weak deciding factor IMHO. You know that color is subjective right? They could have left the SX50's tones and color to high while standard or low on the SL1000.

DStan
Like?

spytrek007 wrote:

Also see this image.

Perhaps this is because you took the picture with "Advanced Filter - Partial Colour Orange" instead of no filter as in full color. If you made your decision based upon this, oops. I'm also leery of pictures viewed from a single website weighing too heavily on my decisions.

In any case, enjoy your new camera.

-- hide signature --

Stan ;o()
In the spirit of Occam’s Razor one should embrace the less complicated formulation or simply put, less is more.

Sactojim
Like?

Agree that selecting a camera because of a color image on a review site is odd. Most sites don't shoot in PASM modes, let alone change settings like ISO, WB, shutter, aperture, or any settings to sharpness, saturation, etc. I think that Fuji has it all over the Canon with regards to color. That said, the Canon SX50 is a darn good camera overall.

DStan
Like?
In reply to Sactojim, 10 months ago

Also, as I said, he had a partial color filter in camera effect and didn't like the results. I'm not sure if he understood that it would block all colors except the one.

-- hide signature --

Stan ;o()

Ben Herrmann
Forum ProPosts: 16,076Gear list
Like?
My opinions as I shoot with the Canon SX-50 HS....

Allow me to put in my 2 cents worth.  I shoot with a variety of Olympus, Panasonic, Fuji, Nikon, and Canon gear.  I'm not a specific fan-boy of any particular brand (at the expend of others) because that mindset can often bee too limiting, tending to preclude folks from really enjoying the many "other brand" photographic instruments that are on the market.  With regards to how colors are rendered, I would say that overall I tend to reach for my Olympus/Panasonic/Fuji cameras.

Having said that, my current all-in-one super long zooms include the Nikon P510 (16 MP) and the Canon SX-50 HS (12 MP).  Sure, I think that the Fuji S-X1 is a superb camera, but right now I need another super zoom camera like a hole in the head.  On the Fuji side of the house I use the X10 and the X-E1.

OK - now getting back to the SX-50 HS.  I had not originally planned on getting this model - due to the fact that I was quite happy with the Nikon 510 - a super-zoom, whose high definition and superb JPG's had me completely satisfied (although I wished it had RAW capabilities).  But after seeing some fine SX-50 HS samples from folks who knew what they were doing, I was hooked and wound up getting one.

Well, I was not disappointed.  Now keep in mind that I don't look at these all-in-one massive zoom models as a cure-all for all photographic scenarios.  If anything, you want to shoot in good light (definitely not high ISO cameras), and shoot in RAW (if the camera has it).  I soon discovered that the SX-50 HS has a wonderful color tonality, the RAW files have quite a bit of headroom (for such a small sensor), and that reach out to 1200 can be mind-boggling to say the least.  The camera has been favorably reviewed by a variety of sites and Canon seems to be selling quite a few of them.  It feels (and looks) like a small DSLR - very comfortable.  It does not come with a lens hood - but both Canon and a variety of Chinese 3rd party outfits make them (at 1/4th the cost of the original - and just as good).

So I cannot speak for the Fuji super zoom model that you referenced because it is my philosophy not to discuss or offer opinions about gear that I've not used or owned.  So all I can do here is to offer my opinion on the Canon SX-50 HS - which I find to be a wonderful camera.

Here are some photos taken last Autumn at a local Lake that I love to hike around.  The name of the place is Sunset Lake in Holly Springs, North Carolina.  All images were shot in RAW mode, converted with Lightroom, digital frames added by IDFramer software, and images were resaved for web using Irfanview.  The last photo (annotated) showing the cormorants in a tree branch in the middle of the lake was taken at 1200 MM - hand-held with IS engaged (and it was very windy outside).  I was surprised at the clarity of the lens at this range.

Taken at full 1200 MM - hand-held with IS engaged.  ISO was 100, Shutter speed was 1/130.

This next image was taken indoors in very low light - just the fireplace on at ISO and Christmas lights turned on.  ISO 400 - hand-held - all in RAW (same workflow as listed above):

ISO - hand-held.  Shutter speed 1/8 second at f3.5

-- hide signature --

Have a great one....
Bernd (Ben) W. Herrmann
North Carolina, USA
link

Ben Herrmann's gear list:Ben Herrmann's gear list
Olympus C-8080 Wide Zoom Olympus SP-570 UZ Olympus E-10 Olympus E-20 Canon PowerShot G12 +25 more
Midwest
Forum ProPosts: 12,492
Like?
Re: Read this review
In reply to Sactojim, 10 months ago

Love the doxie. Got two of them myself.

Good color in all the shots BTW.

-- hide signature --

It's nice to say that nice pictures are nice. (sarcasm)

Sactojim
Like?
Re: My opinions as I shoot with the Canon SX-50 HS....
In reply to Ben Herrmann, 10 months ago

Excellent photos Ben! You have that camera figured out for certain! These look to be shot at 6MP or so? I had the SX40 and it usually gave me very good IQ, but tended to hunt focus at the long end. All of these zoomers have their strengths and weak spots and the Canon makes for a nice package. Do you like the jpeg output? I favor bold and saturated colors and like what my Fuji S8200 and my Kodak Z990 render over what I could get out of the Sx40 jpeg. These RAW images are rich in color..I like.

Midwest
Forum ProPosts: 12,492
Like?
Re: My opinions as I shoot with the Canon SX-50 HS....
In reply to Ben Herrmann, 10 months ago

Ben Herrmann wrote:

Taken at full 1200 MM - hand-held with IS engaged.  ISO was 100, Shutter speed was 1/130.

This next image was taken indoors in very low light - just the fireplace on at ISO and Christmas lights turned on.  ISO 400 - hand-held - all in RAW (same workflow as listed above):

ISO - hand-held.  Shutter speed 1/8 second at f3.5

Beautiful photos. No wonder you're pleased with the camera.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads