T4i colors, I am impressed !

Started Jun 3, 2013 | User reviews
JeanPierre Thibaudeau
Regular MemberPosts: 378Gear list
Like?
T4i colors, I am impressed !
Jun 3, 2013

I just bought a Canon 650D 2 days ago and I am very impressed with the camera overall but mostly the accuracy of the color rendition.

I own near 20 digital cameras, mostly Olympus, and after trying 5 or 6 different Canon DSLR in the last 4 years, I ended up returning or reselling all of them (XSI, 40D, 60D, T2i, T3 and recently the 6D).

The T4i is the first one I consider keeping, the colors it produces are so close to what I am seeing, I consider this a big step for Canon. Of course it's not perfect, it is still misses the Kelvin color control, which all Olympus 4/3 and M4/3 has.

I bought the basic 3 penses kit, 18-55, 55-250 and the 50mm F1.8, all that for a thousand dollars, including a Canon bag, a Dynex tripod and a 64G high speed card. I didn't try the video yet but I use it mainly for stills.

So if you're like me and privilege mostly color accuracy rendition - which is rare today in digital cameras, I strongly suggest you try the Canon T4i.

My overall score: 9/10.

-- hide signature --

Jean-Pierre

JeanPierre Thibaudeau's gear list:JeanPierre Thibaudeau's gear list
Canon PowerShot A650 IS Canon PowerShot SD870 IS Fujifilm FinePix F30 Zoom Sony Cyber-shot DSC-R1 Leica D-LUX 5 +33 more
JeanPierre Thibaudeau's score
Average community score
bad for good for
Kids / pets
great
Action / sports
good
Landscapes / scenery
excellent
Portraits
excellent
Low light (without flash)
great
Flash photography (social)
great
Studio / still life
excellent
= community average
Hollander
Senior MemberPosts: 1,369Gear list
Like?
Re: T4i colors, I am impressed !
In reply to JeanPierre Thibaudeau, Jun 3, 2013

I agree with you Jean-Pierre, that the colours are very good. They are pleasing to the eye.

Sometimes I have to turn down the saturation a little bit and hardly have to use any of my plug-ins software anymore.

I was strictly an Olympus user too starting with the E300.

No there is not much to complain about the T4I. How do you like the 50mm lens?

-- hide signature --

Rob.
To keep my brain active I'm trying to learn CS3 and Lightroom 2 , only to get more confused, because I don't read the manuals.
http://robvorderman.zenfolio.com/

Hollander's gear list:Hollander's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ35 Canon PowerShot SX50 HS Sony Cyber-shot DSC-WX80 Olympus E-1 Olympus E-3 +3 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
j2l3m7
Senior MemberPosts: 3,491Gear list
Like?

Thank you for your review.  Enjoy your new camera.

-- hide signature --

Thanks for posting, have a great day.
John

j2l3m7's gear list:j2l3m7's gear list
Canon PowerShot G15 Canon PowerShot SX50 HS Canon EOS 70D Canon EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro IS USM Canon EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6L IS USM +17 more
JeanPierre Thibaudeau
Like?
In reply to Hollander, Jun 3, 2013

Hi Hollander,

For best color accuracy and saturation for the T4i, I forgot to mention that you should use the faithfull picture style, it's by far the best one. Near perfection.

Despite it's cheap selling price, the 50mm F1.8 is really good. Very sharp lens, especially stopped down a bit.

Thanks for the good coments on my honest but simple review.

-- hide signature --

Jean-Pierre

a colorful person.

Canon PowerShot A650 IS Canon PowerShot SD870 IS Fujifilm FinePix F30 Zoom Sony Cyber-shot DSC-R1 Leica D-LUX 5 +33 more
R2D2
Forum ProPosts: 14,457Gear list
Like?

JeanPierre Thibaudeau wrote:

The T4i is the first one I consider keeping, the colors it produces are so close to what I am seeing, I consider this a big step for Canon.

Agree completely.  The T4i has so much going for it.

Of course it's not perfect, it is still misses the Kelvin color control

Funny thing, is that if you shoot in RAW, then you can adjust color by degrees Kelvin in Canon's DPP software!  Which is what I like to do with my own T4i.

Enjoy your camera!

R2

-- hide signature --

Good judgment comes from experience.
Experience comes from bad judgment.
http://www.pbase.com/jekyll_and_hyde/galleries

R2D2's gear list:R2D2's gear list
Canon EOS 650D Canon EOS 70D
JeanPierre Thibaudeau
Like?
In reply to R2D2, Jun 4, 2013

Tonight I shot a bunch of  pics in RAW. Although the pics are very nice, I found 3 down sides to it:

1- The files are HUGE!

2- The pictures have too much saturation

3- The camera does not correct the chromatic aberrations, the lens' distorsion and the vignetage.

Am I right?

Also, do the raw files keep the picture styles and white balance? I don't think so, judgiing by the results.

So I think I'll keep shooting in jpegs, unless I decide to buy expensive lens.

Hollander (see above) was right when he said there was too much saturation when shooting raw.

Thanks for reading.

ZiggyDeath
Regular MemberPosts: 355Gear list
Like?
In reply to JeanPierre Thibaudeau, Jun 4, 2013

JeanPierre Thibaudeau wrote:

3- The camera does not correct the chromatic aberrations, the lens' distorsion and the vignetage.

CA and Lens distortion correction profiles only applies to JPEGs and only with Canon lenses. You can only have a limited amount of lens profiles stored on the camera (don't recall how many a T4i can store, but a SL1 has 40); you have to use the EOS utility to change them.

ZiggyDeath's gear list:ZiggyDeath's gear list
Canon PowerShot S100 Canon EOS 6D Canon EF 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6 DO IS USM Canon EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro IS USM Canon EF 70-200mm f/4L IS USM +11 more
Yan Duval
Regular MemberPosts: 133Gear list
Like?
In reply to JeanPierre Thibaudeau, Jun 4, 2013

You are right, the RAW files are not corrected, but the setting are saved in the RAW file.  While using DPP, you can apply non-destructively any settings, such as white balance, color balance, lens correction and all.  You can also crop without loosing the original image.

Once satisfied, you can save as jpeg or any format you like.

Yan Duval's gear list:Yan Duval's gear list
Canon EOS 650D Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Canon EF 24-85mm f/3.5-4.5 USM Canon EF-S 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS STM +1 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads