Still missing focus with my x100s

Started Jun 3, 2013 | Discussions
zenpmd
Contributing MemberPosts: 747Gear list
Like?
Still missing focus with my x100s
Jun 3, 2013

Can anyone help?

Sometimes when I am taking a shot it finds the background rather than the subject. This seems to happen even in obvious situations where there is good contrast between subject and background.

Does changing the size of the focus point help?

zenpmd's gear list:zenpmd's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark III Fujifilm X-E2 Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM Canon EF 35mm f/2 IS USM +1 more
Fujifilm X100S
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
il_alexk
Senior MemberPosts: 1,940Gear list
Like?
Re: Still missing focus with my x100s
In reply to zenpmd, Jun 3, 2013

zenpmd wrote:

Sometimes when I am taking a shot it finds the background rather than the subject. This seems to happen even in obvious situations where there is good contrast between subject and background.

Yes, setting the size of the focus point to the minimum is the first thing you want to do.

Using EVF/LCD also helps when focusing on very close objects.

-- hide signature --
 il_alexk's gear list:il_alexk's gear list
Pentax K-5 Olympus PEN E-PM1 Olympus OM-D E-M10 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Pentax smc FA 50mm F1.4 +7 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
zenpmd
Like?
In reply to il_alexk, Jun 3, 2013

I thought someone somewhere else said that a small focus point will slow focus overall? Is that true? Are you recommending just always having the small focus point all the time?

Has anyone compiled a list of the most sensible fuji settings?

Thanks!

Canon EOS 5D Mark III Fujifilm X-E2 Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM Canon EF 35mm f/2 IS USM +1 more
Toccata47
Senior MemberPosts: 2,163
Like?

zenpmd wrote:

I thought someone somewhere else said that a small focus point will slow focus overall? Is that true? Are you recommending just always having the small focus point all the time?

Has anyone compiled a list of the most sensible fuji settings?

Thanks!

Yes, smallest focus patch all the time.

Keit ll
Senior MemberPosts: 2,762Gear list
Like?
In reply to Toccata47, Jun 3, 2013

The speed of AF should be a secondary consideration when miss-focus occurs !

-- hide signature --

Keith C

smatty
Senior MemberPosts: 1,798Gear list
Like?
Read this...

Take the time to read these focus tipps concerning the Fuji X-Cameras. It should help you to improve the AF accuracy

http://fujixfiles.blogspot.com/2012/08/fuji-x-pro-1-af-autofocus-speed-and.html

Cheers,
Smatty
=> Homepage
=> Recent Flickr Photos

smatty's gear list:smatty's gear list
Canon PowerShot S95 Fujifilm FinePix X100 Fujifilm X10 Fujifilm X100S Canon EOS 5D +16 more
Asylum Photo
Senior MemberPosts: 1,277Gear list
Like?

il_alexk wrote:

zenpmd wrote:

Yes, setting the size of the focus point to the minimum is the first thing you want to do.

Using EVF/LCD also helps when focusing on very close objects.

-- hide signature --

This completely depends on the subject you are focusing on.

-- hide signature --
 Asylum Photo's gear list:Asylum Photo's gear list
Fujifilm X-E2 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 60mm F2.4 R Macro Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R Fujifilm XF 23mm F1.4 R +2 more
Jeff Charles
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,737Gear list
Like?
Re: Read this...
In reply to smatty, Jun 3, 2013

smatty wrote:

Take the time to read these focus tipps concerning the Fuji X-Cameras. It should help you to improve the AF accuracy

http://fujixfiles.blogspot.com/2012/08/fuji-x-pro-1-af-autofocus-speed-and.html

That's a good summary. His suggestion to fully press the shutter button without waiting for focus confirmation isn't intuitive, but it works with the X100 too. One addition: AF-C is better in very low light.

-- hide signature --

Jeff
"Please proceed..."

Jeff Charles's gear list:Jeff Charles's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 RX100 III Fujifilm X-E2 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS
il_alexk
Like?
Can you be more specific?
In reply to Asylum Photo, Jun 3, 2013

Asylum Photo wrote:

il_alexk wrote:

Iv'e checked your album and it looks like you do know how to handle the camera :).

I wonder if you can give an example of the subject where large AF point would be more accurate than the small one.

-- hide signature --
Pentax K-5 Olympus PEN E-PM1 Olympus OM-D E-M10 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Pentax smc FA 50mm F1.4 +7 more
Jeff Charles
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,737Gear list
Like?
Re: Can you be more specific?

il_alexk wrote:

Asylum Photo wrote:

il_alexk wrote:

Iv'e checked your album and it looks like you do know how to handle the camera :).

I wonder if you can give an example of the subject where large AF point would be more accurate than the small one.

I don't think a larger focus frame will ever by more accurate, but it can help focus acquisition, because there's more likely to be something of high enough contrast in the larger frame. The tradeoff is that a bigger frame may focus on a background object when the frame extends beyond the intended subject.  I usually keep mine set to one bigger than the smallest, and I reduce it when I need more precision.

-- hide signature --

Jeff
"Please proceed..."

Jeff Charles's gear list:Jeff Charles's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 RX100 III Fujifilm X-E2 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS
smatty
Senior MemberPosts: 1,798Gear list
Like?
Re: Read this...
In reply to Jeff Charles, Jun 3, 2013

Jeff Charles wrote:

That's a good summary. His suggestion to fully press the shutter button without waiting for focus confirmation isn't intuitive, but it works with the X100 too. One addition: AF-C is better in very low light.

Yes, with the X100s the AF-C does work better than on the old X100. But since you can't move the central focus point in AF-C I find this mode difficult to compose the image with...

Cheers,
Smatty
=> Homepage
=> Recent Flickr Photos

smatty's gear list:smatty's gear list
Canon PowerShot S95 Fujifilm FinePix X100 Fujifilm X10 Fujifilm X100S Canon EOS 5D +16 more
il_alexk
Like?
In reply to Jeff Charles, Jun 3, 2013

Jeff Charles wrote:

il_alexk wrote:

Asylum Photo wrote:

il_alexk wrote:

I don't think a larger focus frame will ever by more accurate, but it can help focus acquisition, because there's more likely to be something of high enough contrast in the larger frame. The tradeoff is that a bigger frame may focus on a background object when the frame extends beyond the intended subject.  I usually keep mine set to one bigger than the smallest, and I reduce it when I need more precision.

Thanks, makes sense :).

In this case I still find it easier (for me, of course) to keep the AF area as small as possible to get the best accuracy. Instead of enlarging the focusing area, I just lock focus with half-press on whatever contrast area is available, and then re-frame before the shot. Needless to say, I'm using central AF point in 99.9% of all cases.

-- hide signature --
zenpmd
Like?
In reply to il_alexk, Jun 4, 2013

So the AF point should be in the middle and set to "area" in the menu rather than "multi" right?

il_alexk
Like?
In reply to zenpmd, Jun 4, 2013

zenpmd wrote:

So the AF point should be in the middle and set to "area" in the menu rather than "multi" right?

Yes, see page 48 with your user manual.

/Alex

zenpmd
Like?
In reply to il_alexk, Jun 4, 2013

got you, mine was alreday set to that.

The issue occures when I am photographing something which is not filling the frame in its entirety, so I will try the smaller area and see how that works

trseattle
Forum MemberPosts: 87Gear list
Like?
In reply to zenpmd, Jun 6, 2013

I had the same problem repeatedly with my X100s and sold it.  I purchased a used X Pro1 and I am now getting about a 95% focus accuracy rate with the latest firmware installed.  Only occasionally mis-focuses.

trseattle's gear list:trseattle's gear list
Samsung EX2F Nikon Coolpix A Canon EOS 6D +5 more
zenpmd
Like?
In reply to trseattle, Jun 8, 2013

Tr - I agree, my x-e1 seemed to be better. How can this possibly be?

nand
Senior MemberPosts: 1,390Gear list
Like?
Try this.
In reply to zenpmd, Jun 8, 2013

It is important to have contrast (detail) in the subject that you want to have in focus. Not the edge between the subject and the background. If possible, keep the background out of the focus box.

When both fore and background within the focus box have contrast (detail), the camera will generally pick the foreground to focus on.

When in the focus box, the foreground is flat without contrast and the background has contrast (detail), the camera will focus on the background.

Even in poor light and low contrast, using the above suggestions, I can focus lock consistently. (1/2 sec @ f:4 @ ISO 6400)

Nand.

zenpmd wrote:

Can anyone help?

nand's gear list:nand's gear list
Fujifilm X100S Olympus OM-D E-M5 Fujifilm X-E1 Olympus E-M1 Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 +22 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads