Started 10 months ago | Discussions
unknown member
(unknown member)
Like?
Re: Is everyone here a professional now
In reply to brianj, 10 months ago

brianj wrote:

rattymouse wrote:

brianj wrote:I bet her images are the ones that get looked at most.

There's your bitterness again.  Damn but you loathe SLR's with enormous passion.

Would that worry you if I did, but again you have it all wrong, but go on taunting me if it makes you feel better.

Me taunting you???  I dont think so.  There is NO reason whatsoever for you to suggest that my wife's images are more looked at than mine, except for your extreme bitterness towards me.

Unless of course you have seen the images my wife has taken.  If that is the case I'll retract the above.

But until then, the readers of this thread see you as bitter and spiteful.

rattymouse's gear list:rattymouse's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix F10 Zoom Fujifilm FinePix F20 Zoom Fujifilm FinePix F70EXR Fujifilm FinePix X100 Fujifilm X10 +9 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
brianj
Forum ProPosts: 12,483Gear list
Like?
In reply to rattymouse, 10 months ago

rattymouse wrote:

brianj wrote:

rattymouse wrote:

There's your bitterness again.  Damn but you loathe SLR's with enormous passion.

Would that worry you if I did, but again you have it all wrong, but go on taunting me if it makes you feel better.

Me taunting you???  I dont think so.  There is NO reason whatsoever for you to suggest that my wife's images are more looked at than mine, except for your extreme bitterness towards me.

I don't even know you, why would I have any bitterness.  You seem to have some sort of psychological persecution problem.

Most women have an ability to see the artistic side of a scene whereas men are too hung up with the technical side.  My male friend went on a trip to Europe, and him and his wife had one of the same P&S as each other, and when he returned he said to me that all his wife's photos were better than his.  I thought maybe your wife would pull the same trick, its nothing to do with you so why not calm down.

Unless of course you have seen the images my wife has taken.  If that is the case I'll retract the above.

Never seen them.

Good to know that you can speak for everyone here.

brianj's gear list:brianj's gear list
Canon PowerShot ELPH 330 HS Canon PowerShot SX260 HS
JudyN
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,835Gear list
Like?

rattymouse wrote:

Not all of us.  Some of us may think you protesteth too much.

JudyN's gear list:JudyN's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-G1 Sony SLT-A77 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH +7 more
unknown member
(unknown member)
Like?
In reply to JudyN, 10 months ago

JudyN wrote:

rattymouse wrote:

Sorry,  I meant the informed reader.  I should have been more clear.

Fujifilm FinePix F10 Zoom Fujifilm FinePix F20 Zoom Fujifilm FinePix F70EXR Fujifilm FinePix X100 Fujifilm X10 +9 more
unknown member
(unknown member)
Like?

brianj wrote:

rattymouse wrote:

brianj wrote:

rattymouse wrote:

brianj wrote:

contadorfan wrote:

brianj wrote:

... I am bugged by the implication that if you don't use a DSLR then you can't be a serious photographer.

Brian

Think you need to stop paying attention to what "they" think & concentrate on what YOU think.

I left my serious gear home & brought my point & shoot (Canon ELPH) for a two week trip to Italy, opting for portability & convenience. I had great fun pushing that little camera to its limits, enjoying the challenge of trying to get good shots in dim churches and museums.  Composition, looking for good subject material, and thinking about the shot isn't any different, really.  I'm happy with the photos, too. Do I care that I didn't look like a serious photographer? No -- I'm not trying to impress anybody.  Too busy photographing to notice who's noticing me.

Maybe you need to hang out over at Flickr.  You'll find serious photographers of all stripes: pinhole, film of all formats, people who love their point & shoots.

Thanks you, your a breath of fresh air, so there is at least two of us here, I did the same for my trip to Vietnam and couldn't be happier.

Brian

I took only a compact with me to one of China's most beautiful mountain ranges.  Absolutely spectacular scenery.  Because I thought we were going river rafting, I was scared to bring more expensive gear.   So in this incredible landscape, I used my compact as best I can.  I came home with decent images, even managing to get one published by a travel magazine.

But no way were they acceptable to me.  I know that with my proper gear, I would have produced substantially better images that would literally embarrass what I did with a compact.

Serious gear trumps casual gear when used by a serious photographer.

Why don't you lift your game even further then, why stop there, surely if perceived IQ is so important you might be able to get a specialty shop to produce a once off camera with 4 or 8 FF sensors in a matrix, then buy a TV the size of your house wall to sit and stare at the wonder of your creation.

Obviously this is an exageration, but everything must stop somewhere, I have just chosen to stop at a different level to you.

Brian

As I and many others have already said, this thread is about YOU.  Why you need to comment about other's gear merely shows how bitter you are that everyone else has decided to move on from where YOU stopped.

Why would I be bitter, I have saved a lot of money and enjoy my photography as much as the next person.

Brian

A very good point.  Yet you post here, bitter that others leave you behind.  A huge waste of your time.

unknown member
(unknown member)
Like?

brianj wrote:

rattymouse wrote:

brianj wrote:

rattymouse wrote:

I don't even know you, why would I have any bitterness.  You seem to have some sort of psychological persecution problem.

Nonsense.  Your bitterness towards SLR users (of which I am not one for the most part; the vast majority of my images are from mirrorless cameras) affects me not.

Most women have an ability to see the artistic side of a scene whereas men are too hung up with the technical side.

I dont do stereotypes.

My male friend went on a trip to Europe, and him and his wife had one of the same P&S as each other, and when he returned he said to me that all his wife's photos were better than his.  I thought maybe your wife would pull the same trick, its nothing to do with you so why not calm down.

Never seen them.

Good to know that you can speak for everyone here.

Chad Gladstone
Senior MemberPosts: 2,608Gear list
Like?

brianj wrote:

When this site began it seemed to be teaming with amatuer and hobbyist photographer who revelled in getting more out of their new 2mp P&S digital cameras, it was really exciting days.

Now when I am reading threads people talk about carrying a P&S for unexpected things like someone runs into their car, but here's the interesting part, they say 'but when I am on a serious shoot' I take out the DSLR.

I take photos all the time and when I go on holidays I take a lot more, I love taking photos, but there is nothing serious about it, its just to record my family's life and have fun.

What is this serious photography that requires a DSLR, is it paid work, or something that their life depends on, will they lose face?

Can anyone please explain what has happened to people these days that everything has become so serious, where is the fun gone?  Is it only over on the Connect site?

Brian

Did not read the responses but I have been shooting DSLR since the original Canon Rebel days and have substantial investment in equipment now.  I often shoot for others, but decline compensation on principle.  I have observed a stark decline in pro photography gear in public, even in places where only a DSLR is sufficiently capable of capturing the image, irrespective of the shooter's relative skill.  At dance recitals or sporting events there are often no other photography enthusiasts who are documenting the event with anything other than a cell phone.  My observations may be spurious, but I cannot help but contend that people are becoming content with mediocrity and further, that there are few (as a percentage of the populations) that remain committed to remain on the bleeding edge of technological improvements and thus, those who continue to post here, are fast becoming a discrete and insular minority.  Whether there needs to be further compartmentalization beyond enthusiast and professional, is more a measure of compensation, rather than talent.  There is no "fun" in photography.  Capturing an event through the perspective of a tiny viewfinder is a pursuit that benefits only those, dwindling few, who appreciate the effort, and understand how monumental an achievement it is.

I pity those who are attempting to make a profession out of it, as it is a long, solitary road, that, while more and more attempt, fewer can and will succeed at.  The democratization of the modern digital camera appears only to be diluting the pool of fine images and requires, one, by necessity, to wade through the chaff for wheat.  It seems anyone with a few hundred dollars to spend can incorporate, print business cards, and fancy themselves a professional and subject the public to their suspect abilities.  Few are born with it, the rest of us spend a lifetime, chasing after and trying to capture it.

Chad Gladstone's gear list:Chad Gladstone's gear list
Nikon 1 V1 Nikon D800E Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.4G Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II +7 more
mjack101
Regular MemberPosts: 108
Like?
Re: I got my first SLR (fully manual) when I was 11.

Its laughable the number of threads you see here asking what would be the best DSLR to buy to tak a photo of my dog!!!!!!!

Brian

Sorry but am a little confused here. Why would anyone want to know which is the best camera (DSLR or otherwise) for taking a picture of your dog?

brianj
Like?
In reply to mjack101, 10 months ago

mjack101 wrote:

Its laughable the number of threads you see here asking what would be the best DSLR to buy to tak a photo of my dog!!!!!!!

Brian

Sorry but am a little confused here. Why would anyone want to know which is the best camera (DSLR or otherwise) for taking a picture of your dog?

LOL, it means their own dog, and your guess is as good as mine.

Brian

MoreorLess
Senior MemberPosts: 2,218
Like?
In reply to JudyN, 10 months ago

JudyN wrote:

brianj wrote:

Can anyone please explain what has happened to people these days that everything has become so serious, where is the fun gone?  Is it only over on the Connect site?

I show in a co-op gallery.  Many many people come in with large DSLRs hanging around their necks.  (Of course always Nikons or Canons.)  If they talk to me, I quickly discover that in most cases they are completely clueless.  For many it is now a status symbol to have a heavy camera around your neck. It's like a very nice car. Oh, dare I say they are almost always men?

You say DSLR and that is important. SLTs or four thirds won't do.

I hope you know that excellent photographs can be taken with any equipment.  Several excellent photographers in my community are now playing with their iphones (apparently no other phone will do) and instagram.

There are reasons to want this camera or that.  For example, many P&S cameras can take excellent macros with a large DOF that big sensor cameras can't achieve.  But there comes the day in many people's lives when they wantan interchangeable lens camera for this reason or that.  If that doesn't strike you, then just be happy with your camera!

Equally though for every expensive camera user who doesnt really need it there are 10 compact/phone camera users who underestimate the advantages of more expensive equipment and often there own photographic ability.

mjack101
Regular MemberPosts: 108
Like?

brianj wrote:

mjack101 wrote:

Brian

LOL, it means their own dog, and your guess is as good as mine.

Brian

Oh right, silly me.

I have often wondered though (and at the risk of going ever so slightly off topic) whether people buy dogs and cats solely to have something to take pictures of? I can imagine the poor dog sitting there thinking "Will you please stop taking photos of me and leave me to lick my b@lls in peace."

Back on topic I don't have a dog but I do have a very annoying teenage son who plays rugby and despite my attempts to get him to stand still the entire match (have tried bribery, tying his boot laces together, etc) he runs around so fast that only a very serious DSLR can capture those happy moments when he scores a try or has his nose broken by the opposition flanker.

Atoche
Contributing MemberPosts: 501Gear list
Like?

Well said.  Personally, i am a serious person - when i do something, i try to be the best that i can be.  I am not a pro photographer - and i never will be.  Its not because i wouldnt charge money for my work (if you want to buy one of my photographs i would gladly sell one too you) its just that i dont have the talent.  Now dont get me wrong, i am intelligent, motivated, and love photography - i just realize that my special ability in life is with IT and engineering computer systems, not with producing art.

all that being said - it does not stop me from trying my best to produce something that i consider artful, beautiful... And maybe one day a photograph that i look bak on myself and say (in my own silent way) "that one is good".

purchasing and using an SLR has increased the technical quality of my photographs to where it pleases me.  I do wish i could take my SLR everywhere (i carry it with me wherever time and space allow), but some places are just bad for the expensive camera - so i take my Pentax P&S with me.

just my $.02...

Atoche's gear list:Atoche's gear list
Pentax Optio WG-2 GPS Canon EOS 5D Canon EOS 500D Canon EOS 7D Sony Alpha NEX-3N +9 more
Atoche
Contributing MemberPosts: 501Gear list
Like?
Re: It's not about being a professional...

brianj wrote:

Draek wrote:

...it's simply putting more thought into what you do. Like the difference between writing a forum post and writing a short novel; even if you don't publish it, or if you do but give it away for free online, there's still orders of magnitude of difference in effort and care. It's the difference between being an amateur in the true sense of the word, someone dedicated to the art itself, and a bored person looking for a way to kill time.

Not to offend the latter, of course—I treat drawing the same way, but I'm not about to suggest people who're serious about it (professional or otherwise) to drop Adobe Illustrator and Photoshop and replace it with the smartphone app I use whose name I can't remember.

So everyone here isn't a professional, what you are saying is that many have become passionate.

Is the quest to become as passionate as your budget will allow?  I guess i am not passionate to such an extreme because I am not willing to sell my kidneys just to buy the lastest and greatest.

I get a lot of fun from just trying to get the most out of any equipment, it could just be an old second hand camera, like the fellow who recently bought a G5 just because he always wanted one.  But what ever it is I am passionate about trying to get it to work the way I want.

I mean anyone could re-morgage the house and go out and buy the best and say hey look what this gear can do.  But what enjoyment would that be, its no accumplishment by the photographer.  Someone demonstrated how some camera could produce a beautiful image at ISO54000, so what.

I am trying to work out why I am becoming a dinosaur and out of step here.

Brian

some people have more money than others, it does not always mean they are too "too serious" or that you are out of step.

personally, i like high quality items that hold their value - no matter what hobby i am into.  Does it make me a bad photographer because i bought three cameras and a bunch of lenses?  I don't think so.  Was it a quest for equipment that drove me to purchase the gear that i have? no.  In my case i made the purchases i did each for their own reason - mostly to help me learn and grow asa photographer.

last comment - although i do not consider myself a professional - i do consider myself a photographer :).

$.02

Atoche's gear list:Atoche's gear list
Pentax Optio WG-2 GPS Canon EOS 5D Canon EOS 500D Canon EOS 7D Sony Alpha NEX-3N +9 more
Limburger
Senior MemberPosts: 3,263Gear list
Like?

rattymouse wrote:

JudyN wrote:

rattymouse wrote:

Sorry,  I meant the informed reader.  I should have been more clear.

Well I see Brian's point as well as yours.

Thursday I leave for a Paris trip and am wondering when to bring what camera myself.

I like the controls and ergonomics of the dslr but the compact leaves more room for absorbing the atmosphere with your own two sensors

Probably in many museums you may not even slap any mirrors, so a phone or compact would be best there.

Limburger's gear list:Limburger's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100
brianj
Like?
In reply to Chad Gladstone, 10 months ago

Chad Gladstone wrote:

brianj wrote:

When this site began it seemed to be teaming with amatuer and hobbyist photographer who revelled in getting more out of their new 2mp P&S digital cameras, it was really exciting days.

Now when I am reading threads people talk about carrying a P&S for unexpected things like someone runs into their car, but here's the interesting part, they say 'but when I am on a serious shoot' I take out the DSLR.

I take photos all the time and when I go on holidays I take a lot more, I love taking photos, but there is nothing serious about it, its just to record my family's life and have fun.

What is this serious photography that requires a DSLR, is it paid work, or something that their life depends on, will they lose face?

Brian

Did not read the responses but I have been shooting DSLR since the original Canon Rebel days and have substantial investment in equipment now.  I often shoot for others, but decline compensation on principle.  I have observed a stark decline in pro photography gear in public, even in places where only a DSLR is sufficiently capable of capturing the image, irrespective of the shooter's relative skill.  At dance recitals or sporting events there are often no other photography enthusiasts who are documenting the event with anything other than a cell phone.  My observations may be spurious, but I cannot help but contend that people are becoming content with mediocrity and further, that there are few (as a percentage of the populations) that remain committed to remain on the bleeding edge of technological improvements and thus, those who continue to post here, are fast becoming a discrete and insular minority.  Whether there needs to be further compartmentalization beyond enthusiast and professional, is more a measure of compensation, rather than talent.  There is no "fun" in photography.  Capturing an event through the perspective of a tiny viewfinder is a pursuit that benefits only those, dwindling few, who appreciate the effort, and understand how monumental an achievement it is.

I pity those who are attempting to make a profession out of it, as it is a long, solitary road, that, while more and more attempt, fewer can and will succeed at.  The democratization of the modern digital camera appears only to be diluting the pool of fine images and requires, one, by necessity, to wade through the chaff for wheat.  It seems anyone with a few hundred dollars to spend can incorporate, print business cards, and fancy themselves a professional and subject the public to their suspect abilities.  Few are born with it, the rest of us spend a lifetime, chasing after and trying to capture it.

"There is no "fun" in photography."

A wise man once said, 'don't turn your hobby into your work, as you will end up hating it'.

Brian

ata3001
Regular MemberPosts: 483Gear list
Like?

Most individuals with a halfway decent DSLR think of themselves as being semi-experts with photography but to be honest I see VERY FEW exceptional images by most people on this forum. Owning a D800e or a 5Dmklll doesn't make one a good photographer any more than owning an expensive, top of the line stove, makes one a fine chef. I occassionally will share an image to show what even mediocre equipment is still capable of producing. Even my son complains about his D200 (my old camera) not being good enough. I've had many photo exhibits & sold countless images where the camera used to make the images were that D200 & even a P7100 for a few images. I AM NOT A PROFESSIONAL & will not pretend to be a professional. I will be the first to say it. I am not an expert at it. Photography will always be a learning experience for me since there is always something new that can be learned. MY $.02

ata3001's gear list:ata3001's gear list
Nikon Coolpix P7700 Nikon D700 Nikon D610 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.8G Nikon AF-S Nikkor 28mm f/1.8G +28 more
contadorfan
Contributing MemberPosts: 692Gear list
Like?

brianj wrote:

contadorfan wrote:

brianj wrote:

... I am bugged by the implication that if you don't use a DSLR then you can't be a serious photographer.

Brian

Think you need to stop paying attention to what "they" think & concentrate on what YOU think.

I left my serious gear home & brought my point & shoot (Canon ELPH) for a two week trip to Italy, opting for portability & convenience. I had great fun pushing that little camera to its limits, enjoying the challenge of trying to get good shots in dim churches and museums.  Composition, looking for good subject material, and thinking about the shot isn't any different, really.  I'm happy with the photos, too. Do I care that I didn't look like a serious photographer? No -- I'm not trying to impress anybody.  Too busy photographing to notice who's noticing me.

Maybe you need to hang out over at Flickr.  You'll find serious photographers of all stripes: pinhole, film of all formats, people who love their point & shoots.

Thanks you, your a breath of fresh air, so there is at least two of us here, I did the same for my trip to Vietnam and couldn't be happier.

Brian

I'd love to visit Vietnam. How long were you there?

As for me, the challenge of using different kinds of cameras is fun. I've been taking a darkroom class. I really like my digital cams, but I love, love, love my film camera. It's the tactile aspect. And rolling film onto a steel reel in the dark -- ahhh! Joy!

contadorfan's gear list:contadorfan's gear list
Tamron SP 70-300mm F/4-5.6 Di VC USD
happysnapper64
Senior MemberPosts: 3,869Gear list
Like?
In reply to Atoche, 10 months ago

Atoche. That sounds just like me you are describing!

happysnapper64's gear list:happysnapper64's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Canon EOS 60D Olympus PEN E-PL5 Canon EF-S 15-85mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM Canon EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS +8 more
WTarcher77
Regular MemberPosts: 176
Like?

I loved shooting with my P&S camera.  I HATED that i missed so many shots.

This example is pretty much what made me decide to "shelf" my P&S.  We were fishing in a remote lake in Canada, as we came out of a river inlet we came across a cow Moose & her triplets in the water.  I tried to capture the event on my camera.  The lag was so bad, that as the boat was coming up with the wave....  the image in the viewfinder was going down.  I never did get a usable image....  and for that matter missed seeing the whole event.

With my D7000 I could have captured 75 images, all spot on, and who knows National Geographic worthy...?

Ever seen a Cow moose with triplets...?   Me either.....  excpet for the 1/10th of a second before I grabbed my P&S camera  

Richard
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,371
Like?
Goodbye then, have fun at instagram

brianj wrote:

Richard wrote:

brianj wrote:

You have never tried to shoot birds in flight, fast indoor sports, these things take DSLRs, m43 cannot handle it let a lone a point and shoot.

No, it is no fun to try to take pictures of say birds in flight with gear that was not made to do it. You choose the right tool for the job, that isn't going to be a point and shoot in some cases.

Brian

They have all gone to instagram where they can take their snapshots, over cook them and complement each other on their over processed images. I think they think that is fun so that is where they have gone.

The fun is still here but the cheese has been moved. Depends on what type of cheese you like.

I think your right, the less obsessed are having fun over at Instagram, I think you have identified what is wrong here for me.

Brian

I think looking at others over processed images and learning nothing may be good for you. I know a lot of people that don't even take pictures that just like to follow others. That may be good for you. Or you may be one of those that feels the need to have others follow you so you can feel good about yourself that others complement you on your point and shoot snapshots.

Everyone had their own definition of fun. Learning and discussing things is fun for me so I come here.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads