Canon Pro 1

Started Jun 2, 2013 | Discussions
kenwj
Contributing MemberPosts: 546Gear list
Like?
Canon Pro 1
Jun 2, 2013

I don't see much chatter on this site for the Canon Pro 1.  I have one and I love it.  There are only two things i would change. 1) ability to turn off the chroma optimizer ink tank and 2) ability to disable the forced 35mm margins when using a "Fine Art" paper media setting.

kenwj's gear list:kenwj's gear list
Nikon D800
rmcohen
Regular MemberPosts: 128Gear list
Like?
Re: Canon Pro 1
In reply to kenwj, Jun 2, 2013

I have been experimenting with my Pro-100 and am also trying to get around the margin issue. I think I've got a workflow for this.

I'm using QImage Ultimate, but I assume it will work anywhere.

I choose the "Photo Papers" category and then choose either "Other Glossy" or "Matte" as appropriate.  Then I set no-borders and override any comments the driver brings up.

I also choose the appropriate ICC profile manually.

I also set a .05 inch border around the print in QImage in order to shrink the image back down to what I see on the screen.  This border doesn't show but I do actually recapture some image content around the edges.

I'm very satisfied with the results so far.

rmcohen's gear list:rmcohen's gear list
Sony a6000 Sony E 16mm F2.8 Pancake Sony E 35mm F1.8 OSS Sony FE 70-200 F4 Canon Pixma Pro-100 +2 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
hixpix
New MemberPosts: 18Gear list
Like?
In reply to kenwj, Jun 2, 2013

Refer to page 101 of the Advanced Guide of the Canon PRO-1 series On-screen Manual, Creating a Form File.

Regarding turning off chroma optimizer.

nyairman
Junior MemberPosts: 29Gear list
Like?
In reply to kenwj, Jun 3, 2013

I too have this printer and like it very much. I am still trying to figure out if I should leave the printer on or off between a few days of inactivity to save ink. There has been some discussion on this but I can't seem to get a definitive answer. What are your thought??? Thanks.

-- hide signature --

Greg T.

nyairman's gear list:nyairman's gear list
Canon EOS 600D Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EF-S 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS Canon EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6L IS USM +3 more
kenwj
Like?
In reply to rmcohen, Jun 3, 2013

Cool.  Will QImage work on a Mac?  At one point I thought they were only PC based.

Nikon D800
kenwj
Like?
In reply to hixpix, Jun 3, 2013

Thank you sir.

Nikon D800
kenwj
Like?
In reply to nyairman, Jun 3, 2013

I print once a week on weekends when I have time so I turn mine off and can't answer this.  You might want to ask the question of Canon and see what they recommend.

Nikon D800
kenwj
Like?

Reply from Canon below.  Apparently when you turn the printer off the printer caps the print head to keep it from drying out.  This would lead me to believe that leaving the printer on for long times (overnight?) between printing sessions may not be a good idea.

If you press the ON button to turn off the power, the printer caps the Print Head (nozzles) automatically to prevent from drying. If you disconnect the power plug from the wall outlet before the POWER lamp is turned off, the Print Head will not be capped properly and this will cause drying or clogging.

Nikon D800
CaptnWil
Regular MemberPosts: 270
Like?

This seems to be the same process as with the 9000 Pro II.

Before turning the printer off everytime with the button, I had many head clogs.  Now I turn it off after each print job.  Even after several months of no use, the printer does just fine.  I don't even do nozzle checks before printing.

It does take some time for the printer to get started printing, and it does use some ink in getting ready to print.  It is the only way to go.

Wil

rmcohen
Regular MemberPosts: 128Gear list
Like?

kenwj wrote:

Cool.  Will QImage work on a Mac?  At one point I thought they were only PC based.

Not natively.  You have to use a virtual machine app like Parallels or Fusion.

rmcohen's gear list:rmcohen's gear list
Sony a6000 Sony E 16mm F2.8 Pancake Sony E 35mm F1.8 OSS Sony FE 70-200 F4 Canon Pixma Pro-100 +2 more
nyairman
Junior MemberPosts: 29Gear list
Like?
In reply to kenwj, Jun 4, 2013

Thanks for that info. Guess I'll be turning it off when not in useĀ 

nyairman's gear list:nyairman's gear list
Canon EOS 600D Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EF-S 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS Canon EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6L IS USM +3 more
SASand
Forum MemberPosts: 96
Like?
In reply to kenwj, Jun 9, 2013

Thanks for posting the info from Canon about turning the printer off. I have been keeping mine on and making sure that I print no less often than once a week to keep the print head from clogging.

-- hide signature --

sasand

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads