5DIII and 100-400 Question

Started Jun 1, 2013 | Discussions
BillsLIPhotos
Contributing MemberPosts: 656
Like?
5DIII and 100-400 Question
Jun 1, 2013

Hi All,

How does the 5DIII perform with the 100-400L both with and without a tele-converter? I ask because it's time to replace my aging rebel and would like to go full frame but I shoot lots of birds and wildlife in addition to landscapes. I'm a little concerned about the loss of pixel density on the birds and wildlife - I won't be getting a super-tele since I want to stay married and retire someday. I considered the 6D but it won't auto-focus with the 100-400 and a TC. If the 5DIII auto-focuses well with the 100-400 it might be my camera...

Thanks,

Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EOS 6D
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
dprsok
Senior MemberPosts: 1,410
Like?
Re: 5DIII and 100-400 Question
In reply to BillsLIPhotos, Jun 1, 2013

I'm satisfied with the combo.  The following thread has a few shots with the 1.4x III.  The second shot is the bare 100-400mm and the last shot is with the pancake.

http://www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/3483706

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
BillsLIPhotos
Like?
In reply to dprsok, Jun 2, 2013

Thanks for the examples - that is just what I was looking for. It looks like it works well!

riknash
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,203Gear list
Like?
In reply to BillsLIPhotos, Jun 2, 2013

I too would be interested to know how well the combination works under conditions where the combo also has a 1.4 III TC while tracking moving wildlife, both large and small.  I assume only the center AF point is useable under these conditions?

riknash's gear list:riknash's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Sony Alpha NEX-7 Canon EOS 5D Mark III HTC One
dprsok
Senior MemberPosts: 1,410
Like?
In reply to riknash, Jun 2, 2013

Correct, just the center point.  AF was quick and accurate.  I shot a couple of BIF from a distance in servo and it seemed to track fine.

stefanoromei
Junior MemberPosts: 35
Like?
In reply to dprsok, Jun 3, 2013

i'm satisfied about this combo.it is my "light"alternative when 500mm is unusable.

about the TC use...

i tried canon tc1.4III and it is slower than the cheaper kenko dgx pro....

the final quality seems to be the same especially in the center of the shot.

i have been disappointed about it but kenko remain the best choice for me.

many af points remain available with kenko, canon tc offers just central point.

of course i made the test after fw upgrade

The Aussie Viking
Contributing MemberPosts: 897Gear list
Like?
In reply to stefanoromei, Jun 3, 2013

I have the 100-400mm Canon lens, and the Kenko Pro DGX 1.4 TC. It autofocuses @F8 on both the 6D and the 7D.

Prior to buying the DGX TC, I tried CAnon, Sigma & Kenko DG (not the newer DGX) and none would AF @F8. But when the 6D did it's magic, I tried it on the 7D expecting to fail, but it stunned me when it worked. And not only on Centre point too.

Go try one at your local Camera shop, and be ready to but it.. It really works!

-- hide signature --
 The Aussie Viking's gear list:The Aussie Viking's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Canon EOS 6D Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM Canon EF 17-40mm f/4.0L USM +8 more
Fred Samarane
Senior MemberPosts: 1,086Gear list
Like?
In reply to BillsLIPhotos, Jun 3, 2013

Hi look here http://www.samarane.com.br/Fotos/15anos/Ana/

All made with 5DIII and the 100-400

Fred

-- hide signature --

www.samarane.com.br

Fred Samarane's gear list:Fred Samarane's gear list
Sony Alpha 7R
qianp2k
Senior MemberPosts: 9,548Gear list
Like?
In reply to BillsLIPhotos, Jun 3, 2013

5D3 works very well with bare 100-400L and AF fast.

I tried 5D3 and 100-400L with 1.4x TC III. It still AF OK under good light but its sharpness is noticeably worse and AF hung under poor light or impractical to track on fast moving subjects. It's not very practical in general to use TC with 100-400L.

-- hide signature --
 qianp2k's gear list:qianp2k's gear list
Sony RX100 Canon EOS-1D Mark III Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 5D Mark III Sony Alpha 7R +20 more
bhollis
Senior MemberPosts: 2,488Gear list
Like?
In reply to qianp2k, Jun 3, 2013

qianp2k wrote:

I tried 5D3 and 100-400L with 1.4x TC III. It still AF OK under good light but its sharpness is noticeably worse and AF hung under poor light or impractical to track on fast moving subjects. It's not very practical in general to use TC with 100-400L.

-- hide signature --

No real surprise that IQ suffers a little with the TC.  But here's the question:  AF issues aside, in focal length limited situations (which are common with wildlife shooting), do you get better IQ with the TC or shooting without the TC and cropping to the same fov you'd get with the TC.  I suspect it's the former.

bhollis's gear list:bhollis's gear list
Sony RX1R Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EF 35mm f/1.4L USM Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS USM Canon Extender EF 1.4x II +5 more
qianp2k
Like?
In reply to bhollis, Jun 3, 2013

bhollis wrote:

qianp2k wrote:

-- hide signature --

No real surprise that IQ suffers a little with the TC.  But here's the question:  AF issues aside, in focal length limited situations (which are common with wildlife shooting), do you get better IQ with the TC or shooting without the TC and cropping to the same fov you'd get with the TC.  I suspect it's the former.

It depends. I actually have bunch of shots with 100-400L + 1.4x TC III on 5DIII on the above lions at the same spot at the same scene. They are bigger certainly but I still prefer ones without TCs by cropping more as without TC ones are still sharper after cropping. In other side, with small birds I could see the value of TCs although I have not tested myself nor I have seen others' tests to prove 100-400L with 1.4x TC will be better than w/o TC but more cropping in certain scenarios. The only problem is that this lens 100-400L doesn't work well with TC. Depends on what lenses. 300L/4.0 IS (no mention 300L/2.8 IS) or maybe 400L/5.6 works (much) better with TC.

-- hide signature --
Sony RX100 Canon EOS-1D Mark III Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 5D Mark III Sony Alpha 7R +20 more
bhollis
Senior MemberPosts: 2,488Gear list
Like?
In reply to qianp2k, Jun 3, 2013

qianp2k wrote:

bhollis wrote:

qianp2k wrote:

-- hide signature --

It depends. I actually have bunch of shots with 100-400L + 1.4x TC III on 5DIII on the above lions at the same spot at the same scene. They are bigger certainly but I still prefer ones without TCs by cropping more as without TC ones are still sharper after cropping. In other side, with small birds I could see the value of TCs although I have not tested myself nor I have seen others' tests to prove 100-400L with 1.4x TC will be better than w/o TC but more cropping in certain scenarios. The only problem is that this lens 100-400L doesn't work well with TC. Depends on what lenses. 300L/4.0 IS (no mention 300L/2.8 IS) or maybe 400L/5.6 works (much) better with TC.

So, you're saying that for the lions at least, you got better IQ by cropping than with a TC.  That's not encouraging.

Well, I'll be giving all this a try myself over the course of the summer shooting wildlife up here in Alaska.  Previously, I shot the 100-400L on a 7D without a TC and got pretty good results.  But I sold the 7D several months ago, and will be using the 5D3 this summer.  I'm hoping to be able to use the 100-400L with my EF 1.4x II to make up for the loss in reach I got with my 7D's higher density sensor.

We'll see how it goes.

bhollis's gear list:bhollis's gear list
Sony RX1R Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EF 35mm f/1.4L USM Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS USM Canon Extender EF 1.4x II +5 more
qianp2k
Like?

bhollis wrote:

So, you're saying that for the lions at least, you got better IQ by cropping than with a TC.  That's not encouraging.

Yea at least for that lions case. I cropped about 60% without TC so it's not in extreme. I also have not MFA either 100-400L without or with TC on 5DIII. I did after that zoo trip nevertheless. I might do a test on the resolution chart that I used for Dot-FineTune between with or without TC on 100-400L with 5DIII.

Well, I'll be giving all this a try myself over the course of the summer shooting wildlife up here in Alaska.  Previously, I shot the 100-400L on a 7D without a TC and got pretty good results.  But I sold the 7D several months ago, and will be using the 5D3 this summer.  I'm hoping to be able to use the 100-400L with my EF 1.4x II to make up for the loss in reach I got with my 7D's higher density sensor.

Please let us know.  However from what I heard and on my own limited experience, this particular lens 100-400L seems doesn't work well with TC in general.

We'll see how it goes.

-- hide signature --
MikeFromMesa
Senior MemberPosts: 2,849
Like?
Combo

bhollis wrote:

But here's the question:  AF issues aside, in focal length limited situations (which are common with wildlife shooting), do you get better IQ with the TC or shooting without the TC and cropping to the same fov you'd get with the TC.

That is, of course, is the same question I had when I was thinking about buying the Canon 1.4 TC. I already had a Kenko 1.4 TC and was not too happy with the images from that combo.

In my experience shots without the Canon TC, when cropped, are just about the same quality as those with the TC when not cropped, provided the cropping of the image without the TC is no more than about 125%. Perhaps the images with the TC are very slightly better, when sharpened.

1) When I am shooting something really far away and would have to crop my images really severely, say 150-200% to get a decent image, then the TC is better because the base image does not do so well when cropped above 150%, and

2) The lens-TC combo is generally very good and responds to sharpening very well. I found I had to sharpen my 100-400 images even without the TC (on both my previous 7D and my current 5D3) so now I just leave the TC on the lens and use it as a 140-560 lens.

This is one of my combo shots. It has been sharpened (and DeNoised) in Topaz. Also note that you will have to re-do any lens adjustments since the 5D3 treats the 100-400/1.4 TC combo as a different lens. I had some initial concerns because I thought it would just assume it was the same lens and, until I redid my lens adjustments, my images were slightly blurry.

BillsLIPhotos
Like?
Re: Combo
In reply to MikeFromMesa, Jun 3, 2013

Thanks for all of the additional replies. Lots to think about...

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads