Polarizing filter for which lens?

Started Jun 1, 2013 | Questions
QuakeO
Regular MemberPosts: 138Gear list
Like?
Polarizing filter for which lens?
Jun 1, 2013

I'd like to add a circular polarizing filter to my bag. In your opinion, which lens would benefit the most?

1. Panasonic 14mm
  2. Sigma 30mm
  3. Oly 14-42mm II
  4. Oly 40-150mm

Thanks for your advice!

QuakeO's gear list:QuakeO's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF3 Olympus PEN E-PL5 Panasonic Lumix G 14mm F2.5 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 14-42mm 1:3.5-5.6 II R Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 R +1 more
ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
Paul De Bra
Forum ProPosts: 11,230Gear list
Like?
Easy: whichever lens you use the most.
In reply to QuakeO, Jun 1, 2013

A polariser can be used on every type of lens, but it is often not recommended for ultra wide lenses because the polarisation effect becomes too different between the left and right part of the frame (when you use it in sunny outdoor conditions).

A polariser is not only used to make the sky a more distinct blue but also to eliminate reflections on metal, windows and water surfaces. It can be used at any focal length. If you are buying just one you should get one for the lens you use the most. Alternatively you can buy one that fits the largest lens and use step up rings to mount the polariser on other lenses.

-- hide signature --

Slowly learning to use the Olympus OM-D E-M5.
Public pictures at http://debra.zenfolio.com/.

Paul De Bra's gear list:Paul De Bra's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix F200EXR Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 75-300mm 1:4.8-6.7 +4 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
BBbuilder467
Contributing MemberPosts: 500
Like?
Re: Polarizing filter for which lens?
In reply to QuakeO, Jun 1, 2013

With my Panasonic system, I can use the same 52mm CPL with everything I have. I planned it that way.

I'd say for all intents and purposes, "I" use it more often with the 14-45. It matches the focal length range well and I don't like using it with the longer zoom, more because of the awkwardness trying to adjust with the physically longer lens.

I use it a lot more on wet, cloudy days than bright sunny days, for wet foliage and nature subjects. I use a grad ND more than the CPL to create blue skies on cloudy days here in the mountains.

Initially at least, I'd say you'll have more use with the CPL and 14-42.

I started buying the Sunpak filters for testing to see if I really need/want a particular effect. They have nice, smooth mounting rings and work well if you want a low cost starting place. The "novelty" of using filters can wear off real fast.

QuakeO
Like?
Re: Easy: whichever lens you use the most.
In reply to Paul De Bra, Jun 19, 2013
 If you are buying just one you should get one for the lens you use the most. Alternatively you can buy one that fits the largest lens and use step up rings to mount the polariser on other lenses.

My most often used lenses are the 40-150mm and the Sigma 30mm. (I also have the 14mm which has the same thread as the Sigma, and the 14-42mm, which is used less often.)

I have two choices to make:

1. Get a 58mm filter and a 46mm->58mm step-up, or two filters?

2. Which brand? The B + W and the Sigma filters are priced similarly, a notch above the Hoya and twice the price of Tiffen.

Opinions most welcome!

Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF3 Olympus PEN E-PL5 Panasonic Lumix G 14mm F2.5 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 14-42mm 1:3.5-5.6 II R Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 R +1 more
Bizzarrini
Regular MemberPosts: 481Gear list
Like?
In reply to QuakeO, Jun 19, 2013
 Bizzarrini's gear list:Bizzarrini's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS7 Fujifilm FinePix X100 Olympus Tough TG-2 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1 Fujifilm X-Pro1 +22 more
agentul
Contributing MemberPosts: 575Gear list
Like?

QuakeO wrote:

My most often used lenses are the 40-150mm and the Sigma 30mm. (I also have the 14mm which has the same thread as the Sigma, and the 14-42mm, which is used less often.)

I have two choices to make:

1. Get a 58mm filter and a 46mm->58mm step-up, or two filters?

2. Which brand? The B + W and the Sigma filters are priced similarly, a notch above the Hoya and twice the price of Tiffen.

Opinions most welcome!

i have a Kenko Zeta, and i must say that it was quite expensive. i don't know about your budget, but it might not be worth buying two filters. I would start with a 58mm diameter filter, because it will be easier to buy an adapter for 46mm. you could go the other way, but i don't know if it wouldn't cut the edges of the frame.

for the 46mm lens you will most likely not be able to use a hood with the 58mm filter on. if you buy a model that has a thread on the outside maybe you can get a threaded round hood. that will also make it easier to adjust the filter. i have to adjust the filter and then mount the hood, as i am using the 14-42mm kit part.

agentul's gear list:agentul's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-42mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS Panasonic Leica Summilux DG 25mm F1.4 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 45-150mm F4-5.6 ASPH Mega OIS Panasonic Lumix DMC-LZ2 +1 more
QuakeO
Like?
In reply to Bizzarrini, Jun 19, 2013

Thanks, but I've never found that comparison particularly helpful. At any rate, test results for a bunch of 72mm polarizers don't answer my questions...

shihhan
Regular MemberPosts: 307
Like?
Re: Polarizing filter for which lens?

QuakeO wrote:

I'd like to add a circular polarizing filter to my bag. In your opinion, which lens would benefit the most?

1. Panasonic 14mm
  2. Sigma 30mm
  3. Oly 14-42mm II
  4. Oly 40-150mm

Thanks for your advice!

P 14 f2.5 - 46mm
S 30 f2.8 - 46mm
O 14-42 II - 37mm
O 40-150 - 58mm

Just get 58mm and step up rings from 46 -> 58 and 37 -> 58. However, you'd have to take the hoods off...

Bizzarrini
Regular MemberPosts: 481Gear list
Like?

Ok, too bad. I figured it might help with part two of your question, which brand to get. I doubt the size will influence the test results much. Personally I bought a Marumi DHG filter. So far very pleased with it.

Bizzarrini's gear list:Bizzarrini's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS7 Fujifilm FinePix X100 Olympus Tough TG-2 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1 Fujifilm X-Pro1 +22 more
shihhan
Regular MemberPosts: 307
Like?

QuakeO wrote:

Thanks, but I've never found that comparison particularly helpful. At any rate, test results for a bunch of 72mm polarizers don't answer my questions...

Hoya's are pretty good (or Kenko, the Japanese version of Hoya is cheaper).

The Hoya Green/Blue series CPLs are uncoated, Pro1 D are multicoated, and HD are hard multicoated.

Coating matters less for CPLs as you tend not to shoot the directly at light sources, so it's really up to price. Personally I use Kenko Pro1Ds.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads