D600 oil specs on the sensor question

Started Jun 1, 2013 | Discussions
dresner
Regular MemberPosts: 271Gear list
Like?
D600 oil specs on the sensor question
Jun 1, 2013

Hi guys,

I have been on the sideline looking to buy a new camera for a while now, the Sony A77 I got 18 months ago is a feature loaded camera that is lots of fun to use, but have had a lot of problems with it and I am looking for a more reliable camera.

I'm in the D600 v 6D category.  I think they are both excellent cameras and at the end of the day we all know it's the photographer that makes the great shot.

So with all that said, how has the D600 been for you owners?  I read the oil issue goes away at about 300 shots, is that true for those of you who had that issue?  Any other comments on QC related to the D600?

Not easy choosing Nikon or Canon, almost as hard as Alliance or Horde 

- apologize ahead of time for any typos , writing this from bed with a fever and cough

dresner's gear list:dresner's gear list
Canon EOS 6D Canon EF 35mm f/1.4L USM Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM
Canon EOS 6D Nikon D600 Sony SLT-A77
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Fred Mueller
Senior MemberPosts: 2,345Gear list
Like?
Re: D600 oil specs on the sensor question
In reply to dresner, Jun 1, 2013

I just left this post in another thread:

http://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/51566212

to be honest I think some people have had a bigger problem (with the 600) than I have had, but there are also lots of owners who have no problem at all. I have no idea about the percentages. If you choose the 600 (the sensor really is as good as you read about) just be sure you by from a dealer with a robust return policy.

I personally take the view that if you are going to have a camera with interchangeable lenses, you should be able to clean the sensor yourself - because you will have some dust (or whatever) from time to time.  It certainly has been that way for me for every Nikon I have used, or owned. At this point I don't think my 600 is any worse than my 700 was.  Why else would the mfgs. include "lock mirror up for cleaning".  I can't imagine sending back to the mfg for a mere cleaning - or even relying on my local shop ...  that takes more effort than just doing it yourself, by far.  I would EXPECT to have to clean a Canon or Sony body from time to time too.

I shoot semi professionally, and keeping the camera and lenses clean, and the chips formatted,  and the discs backed up, and the bag in order, and the batteries charged, are just all part of the background routine.

Fred Mueller's gear list:Fred Mueller's gear list
Nikon D600
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
dresner
Like?
In reply to Fred Mueller, Jun 1, 2013

I couldn't agree more with your option about maintenance and whether this was a wide ranging issue  or not.  All it takes is 1 or 2 people with an issue to cause a forum panic, and so on and so forth.  Nikon did issue a statement, so it must have been a decent % of buyers, but it doesn't seem to be a long term issue like Image Retention on the MacBook Pro Retina which Apple is currently being sued over.  At the end of the day, none of these brands are going to stick you with a problem product anyway and it will get fixed.  As far as maintaing your gear, that goes for all our toys.

I haven't heard anyone say they weren't happy with either their 6D or D600, they are both amazing in their own way with great lens systems.  I wish I could have both systems, maybe one day

Thanks for your feedback and your time

Canon EOS 6D Canon EF 35mm f/1.4L USM Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM
dresner
Like?
In reply to dresner, Jun 1, 2013

I should delete this thread, clearly it's an issue that has been beat to death.. my bad

atrhys
Forum MemberPosts: 94Gear list
Like?
In reply to dresner, Jun 2, 2013

You are right that this question has come up a lot. You should have no problem finding many opinions on which one is best.

Honestly you can't go wrong with either system. I own the D600 and have a 6D at work. Both are great cameras and both have their pros and cons.

The dust/oil issued doesn't necessarily go away at 300 actuations but it isn't as big of a problem as it may seem. Some D600s truly do have an issue with dust or oil but many people see 2 or 3 black spots on a photo and freak out. My work's 6D has dust on it as well, but only about half as much (with half as many actuations) as my D600. If I ever see a spot in a photo it takes me about a second to clone it out and move on.

I personally like the D600 because it tracks motion a lot better and my type of work benefits from the extra resolution. I do wish it was contoured to the hand more like the 6D.

Also, I'm not sure how many people on this forum will catch the Horde/Alliance reference but I know exactly what you mean. 

Good luck on your purchase!

atrhys's gear list:atrhys's gear list
Nikon D600 Nikon 1 AW1 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.8G Nikon AW 11-27.5mm +2 more
dresner
Like?
In reply to atrhys, Jun 2, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to respond.  Your lucky to be able to use the best of both worlds like that.  I'm really into IT and while I love my macs, I use MSFT for my servers, and still build my own PCs for my staff and run Windows 7 on them.  I don't understand people who pigeon hole themselves into one system or another, it's great to be able to enjoy everything that is out there if your life and time can afford it.

As someone from the outside coming into one of the two major systems, the choices and opinions are endless but one thing is clear and that is both systems are solid and have their place in ones gear bag.

I am disappointed in Sony, the A77 is a lot of fun to use and has great features, I get great photos out of it.  The Panoramic mode is spectacular.  But I don't trust the camera anymore after my experiences and I want a camera that I can count on even if it's been in my bag for a month.  I know my chances are better with Nikon and Canon for the long haul.

And I'm glad someone got it lol but better questions is who is Horde and who is Alliance?

Alan Brown
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,637Gear list
Like?
No problem with mine..

I'm up to around the 1000th  shot now.

This truly is a stunning camera.

The only thingI did do was to get another pc!

My core 2 duo E8500 was just too slow with the file size in ViewNX The i5 system is vastly superior. Almost instant.  Happy again.

-- hide signature --

There is a very fine line between 'hobby' and 'mental illness.' :'!':

Alan Brown's gear list:Alan Brown's gear list
Nikon D7000 Nikon 1 J2 Nikon D600 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 16-85mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Sigma 70-300mm F4-5.6 APO DG Macro +3 more
lorenzo de medici
Regular MemberPosts: 171Gear list
Like?

The image quality with the D600 is astounding.  It really depends on the lens more than the camera.  You need really good lenses to get the best photos; the camera itself is that good.  The dirty sensor problem does not go away after 300, or even 3000 clicks in some cases.  If you get a D600 be prepared to have the sensor cleaned periodically or learn how to do it yourself.  Otherwise it's a great camera and IMO better than the Canon.

rdhphoto1
Regular MemberPosts: 234Gear list
Like?
Go with Canon...
In reply to lorenzo de medici, Jun 2, 2013

....and don't look back. You will be glad you did.

lera ion
Regular MemberPosts: 141Gear list
Like?

TIPA recommend Canon 6D. Why!

lera ion's gear list:lera ion's gear list
Sony Alpha DSLR-A200 Nikon D600 +1 more
JOrmsby
Forum MemberPosts: 59Gear list
Like?
In reply to Fred Mueller, Jun 2, 2013

All good points by Fred. I just went they the same dilemma for months and here arof some of my thoughts in another thread...

http://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/51544213

I've owned Canons and really like them but in this case the D600 just has too many pluses (for me) over the 6d. The 100% viewfinder is huge. My biggest pet peeve with my hold D5100 was the 95% viewfinder and always having to 'guess' at what was filling the edges of the frame. I'd wind up taking a dozen shots just to get the composition correct. My keeper rate with the d600 is much higher and I don't have to crop in post processing because I can see exactly what i'm framing. 6d is only 97% coverage. paying near $2k not to have this basic feature/upgrade from a consumer cam seemed pretty ridiculous. Oh, and the d600 sensor is incredible.

JOrmsby's gear list:JOrmsby's gear list
Nikon D600 Olympus OM-D E-M10 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 85mm f/1.8G Sigma 35mm F1.4 DG HSM Nikon AF-S Nikkor 18-35mm f/3.5-4.5G ED +1 more
Dr Bob
Contributing MemberPosts: 764Gear list
Like?
-- hide signature --

My D600 is a great camera. The dust issue has now gone -see some of my previous posts.

One big advantage to me is the twin card slots. Hate to do a days shooting and find the card is corrupted. I've now got a copy on a separate card.

Andy

Dr Bob's gear list:Dr Bob's gear list
Nikon D800E Nikon D600 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 500mm f/4G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-120mm f/4G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 28mm f/1.8G +1 more
gdourado
Regular MemberPosts: 188
Like?
In reply to Dr Bob, Jun 2, 2013

Hello, how are you?

i was to start a new thread but then saw this one.

I was wondering if I buy a new D600 now, from a new stock, is there still an issue with oil? Or is it just a problem with the first batches of production that has been addressed and fixed?

Cheers!

-- hide signature --
JOrmsby
Forum MemberPosts: 59Gear list
Like?
In reply to gdourado, Jun 2, 2013

I just bought mine a couple weeks ago, asking for the most recent serial number my dealer had in stock, and it developed spots within a couple dozen shots. Returned it for another, that pretty much came with spots, now on my third and it's been fine so far (>500 shots).

Because Nikon has so arrogantly avoided admitting there is a problem, I dont see them coming up with a fix for it soon.  From my own experience and everything I've read, it's still hit or miss. Some people getting good copies, others having real issues. It's a great camera and worth trying to get a good one though.

JOrmsby's gear list:JOrmsby's gear list
Nikon D600 Olympus OM-D E-M10 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 85mm f/1.8G Sigma 35mm F1.4 DG HSM Nikon AF-S Nikkor 18-35mm f/3.5-4.5G ED +1 more
md lucero
Forum MemberPosts: 53
Like?

Not wanting to start a new thread on the oil/dust issue, I do have a question regarding my D600. I recently returned from a trip out to the Utah desert where it was very windy (and dusty) Upon inspection there was enough dust spots to want to clean it. I bought the "kit" from Copper Hill Imaging. After blowing the dust out and brushing the sensor with the supplied brush I noticed some "streaking" on the very bottom of the sensor. I take it this is oil...I can't see it when I shoot, but should I expect to be able to clean this? I did take the additional step of a "wet" cleaning. The streaks are better but still there.

Any advice would be appreciated..I can't imagine paying $30 bucks at the camera shop every time my D600 needs cleaning.

mrjpack
Contributing MemberPosts: 575Gear list
Like?
In reply to md lucero, Jun 3, 2013

Some times it takes more than one cleaning to finish the job, use a new swab each time...

Jim

leicaman
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,413
Like?
NOT just one or 2 people....
In reply to dresner, Jun 3, 2013

Go onto the Nikonians forum and look at the DUST / NODUST thread. Many people with the problem with a wide range of serial numbers from many countries.  Remember... this is no ordinary Change lenses, soot at the beach problem.  This issue comes up with no lens changes and involves lots of debris and oil spots that come back shortly after wet cleaning.  All DSLRs need occasional cleaning... but if all DSLRs were like the D600 we would still be shooting film.

I would go with the slightly inferior Canon 6D as their L glass is in many cases superior to Nikon glass and when Canon finally gets their act together with a sensor as good as the Nikon you only need upgrade your camera body.

Leonard Shepherd
Veteran MemberPosts: 8,286Gear list
Like?
In reply to dresner, Jun 4, 2013

The Nikon statement in February was a problem on "rare occasions" https://nikoneurope-en.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/55647

Whatever the problem was it should be fixed on new cameras.

Which camera is best for you is for you to decide. I do not own a D600 but know 8 early adopters who have not had a problem with their camera.

Leonard Shepherd's gear list:Leonard Shepherd's gear list
Nikon D800 Nikon D7100 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6G IF-ED VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 12-24mm f/4G ED-IF Nikon AF-S Nikkor 16-35mm f/4G ED VR +19 more
lorenzo de medici
Regular MemberPosts: 171Gear list
Like?
In reply to Leonard Shepherd, Jun 4, 2013

Leonard Shepherd wrote:

The Nikon statement in February was a problem on "rare occasions" https://nikoneurope-en.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/55647

Which camera is best for you is for you to decide. I do not own a D600 but know 8 early adopters who have not had a problem with their camera.

I think you should stop making statements on this subject since you do not own the camera and are simply parroting Nikon's PR information.  I'm sure that all these D600 owners would rather be out taking pictures than fretting over sensor dirt.  I have PERSONALLY EXAMINED four D600s including my own (which I'm counting as two since Nikon rebuilt it once) and EVERY ONE had A LOT OF SENSOR DIRT.  THAT IS 100 PERCENT, WHICH IS NOT "RARE".  People who just repeat what they think they've heard or read without personal experience are not helpful.

rdhphoto1
Regular MemberPosts: 234Gear list
Like?
It is "rare" for a D600..
In reply to lorenzo de medici, Jun 4, 2013

lorenzo de medici wrote:

Leonard Shepherd wrote:

I think you should stop making statements on this subject since you do not own the camera and are simply parroting Nikon's PR information.  I'm sure that all these D600 owners would rather be out taking pictures than fretting over sensor dirt.  I have PERSONALLY EXAMINED four D600s including my own (which I'm counting as two since Nikon rebuilt it once) and EVERY ONE had A LOT OF SENSOR DIRT.  THAT IS 100 PERCENT, WHICH IS NOT "RARE".  People who just repeat what they think they've heard or read without personal experience are not helpful.

........NOT to have oil/dust on sensor. Very "rare"....indeed.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads