intel 520 isue

Started May 31, 2013 | Discussions
johncz
Regular MemberPosts: 169Gear list
Like?
intel 520 isue
May 31, 2013

hi!

half a year  ago  i installed win 7 /  64  on ssd kingston , no problem.

now just bought the SSD intel 520 / 240 gb   and installation does not proceed to the end, when installation goes to " completing installation " it doesn't want to move any further. looked in google but they talking about AHCI which i have no idea what is that.

why kingston ssd did not give me any trouble , what is the problem here. any easy solution for me , please.

john G.

johncz's gear list:johncz's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark III
Leon Obers
Senior MemberPosts: 2,785
Like?
Re: intel 520 isue
In reply to johncz, May 31, 2013

Do you mean, you are installing Window 7 again to the new SSD?

AHCI is a particular mode for best SATA performance using a none RAID-setting.
It has to be set within the BIOS of your system.
See also < HERE >
But I find it strange that an installation of an OS is stopped by this.

-- hide signature --

Leon Obers

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
johncz
Like?
In reply to Leon Obers, May 31, 2013

hi Leon,

I just bought new SSD intel 520 / 240 GB  and i did fresh install but as i indicated before  installation doesn't pass  the " completing installation " point.

What is going on ?

motherboard - P5E3

CPU  Q9450 2.66 GHz / Quad

DDr - 3     /    8 GB

( iam getting sick of that, do i have to be a computer technician to just install win 7 /64

on intel SSD  )

i have find this one on some google forum .

"3. Re: Intel 520 SSD (120 GB) cannot install Win 7 / Win X

After that, Windows 7 installation found it right away! "

1. Create partition table (I chose msdos)
  2. Add partition (I added only one (1), spanning the whole disk. Filetype NFTS)
  3. Click 'Edit' -> 'Apply all operations'

Using GParted*, I partitioned the Intel 520 SSD.

I found a solution!

Canon EOS 5D Mark III
rio911
Contributing MemberPosts: 890Gear list
Like?
In reply to johncz, May 31, 2013

I have an intel 520 SSD in my machine.  AHCI mode was not enabled by default, and I also needed to add drivers to the Win7 during installation.

Here is what I would suggest that you do:

1. I would suggest that you remove all other drives from the system, just disconnect them;

2.  BIOS: enter BIOS (press DEL during boot, but it might be different depending on your MB), find your SATA controller options, usually under Peripherals or Advanced.  Look for AHCI, make sure that it is enabled;

3. While you are in the BIOS make sure that you have the latest version!  Since you already have a problem, I would suggest that you update to the latest version, while you are at it;

4. Find the latest drivers for the Intel 520 from the intels website, save them on a USB drive;

5. During installation of Win7, there is a "Load Drivers" option during setup, plugin your usb, point the system to the drivers that you downloaded from intel, hopefully the system will recognise them;

6. Finish with your OS installation;

7. Once you have setup your system, don't forget to plug in the rest of your drives;

Hope this helps,

rio

rio911's gear list:rio911's gear list
Sony RX100 Sony SLT-A77 Sony 50mm F1.4 Sony 70-300mm F4.5-5.6 G SSM Sony DT 16-50mm F2.8 SSM
johncz
Like?
In reply to rio911, Jun 1, 2013

thanks guys, but there is no one update for this motherboard - P5E3 , there are two uptates i find for sata

http://support.asus.com/download.aspx?SLanguage=en&p=1&m=P5E3&hashedid=fQ39Ng5Y1VIgl116

should i download both of them ?  and how do i update it ? i have never done motherboard updates before .

Canon EOS 5D Mark III
rio911
Like?
In reply to johncz, Jun 1, 2013

johncz wrote:

thanks guys, but there is no one update for this motherboard - P5E3 , there are two uptates i find for sata

http://support.asus.com/download.aspx?SLanguage=en&p=1&m=P5E3&hashedid=fQ39Ng5Y1VIgl116

should i download both of them ?  and how do i update it ? i have never done motherboard updates before .

Hi, I would suggest that you download the manual for your mobo as well, but here is a brief description of the BIOS update procedure:

The mobo has a flash utility called EZ-flash.  Download the latest BIOS version for you motherboard, triple checking model number, BIOS version, etc.

Unzip the file on a USB drive, and plug it in.  During boot, press Alt+F2, that should bring you direct in to the EZ-flash utility.  If the USB drive is available, select it by pressing TAB.

I'm guessing the utility will go through a number of checks, once everything is confirmed, the update will start.  Wait patiently for the successful end and make sure not to interrupt it.

Good luck,

rio

Sony RX100 Sony SLT-A77 Sony 50mm F1.4 Sony 70-300mm F4.5-5.6 G SSM Sony DT 16-50mm F2.8 SSM
brn
brn
Senior MemberPosts: 2,661Gear list
Like?
Been there

Go into your BIOS and turn off AHCI.  The default Microsoft AHCI driver has all kinds of issues with Intel SSDs.

If at some point down the road you decide you need AHCI (performance gains for SSDs are debatable), use an AHCI driver specific to your chipset (Intel or AMD).  Just don't use the Microsoft AHCI driver.

brn's gear list:brn's gear list
Canon PowerShot SD4000 IS Nikon D70 Nikon D90 Nikon D7000
johncz
Like?

Hi rio011 !

thanks for your involment ,

but as i mentioned before there is no singel BIOS update, if you go there

P5E3 choose win 7 / 64  -  there are 11 bios,  2 sata , 1 utilites updates and more

my bios is 1.1.0.67   and which updates i suposed to take ,    ehhhhhhh

i thought that if i get Intel SSD it will be fast , good ad stable HD/SSD .

and what i have now  ,  piece of crap i can not use , $ 260  down the drain.  perhaps i should get another Kingston SSD , which i did not have any problems with Kingston 64 GB but now is too small !

Canon EOS 5D Mark III
johncz
Like?
Re: Been there
In reply to brn, Jun 1, 2013

hi!

it gets better and better ,

i have Intel chipset , which AHCI and where from and how to install it.

Canon EOS 5D Mark III
rio911
Like?

johncz wrote:

Hi rio011 !

thanks for your involment ,

but as i mentioned before there is no singel BIOS update, if you go there

P5E3 choose win 7 / 64  -  there are 11 bios,  2 sata , 1 utilites updates and more

my bios is 1.1.0.67   and which updates i suposed to take ,    ehhhhhhh

i thought that if i get Intel SSD it will be fast , good ad stable HD/SSD .

and what i have now  ,  piece of crap i can not use , $ 260  down the drain.  perhaps i should get another Kingston SSD , which i did not have any problems with Kingston 64 GB but now is too small !

No problem,

As I mentioned you need to take the latest BIOS.  The version that you have listed is different from what is listed on the website, so I would be very careful!!! Double check and triple check:

- motherboard model and version;

- current BIOS version and date (I would also expect to find a corresponding one on the website!!).  Look here for Howto: http://support.asus.com/repair.aspx?no=563&SLanguage=en ;

- once you have confirmed these details, proceed with the update of the BIOS as described in my previous post, and don't bother with any of the other things.  Their turn might come later, but don't worry about it.

Setup is usually easy, but as I found out on my latest system, it does not always work out like that.

rio

johncz
Like?

my Win 7 manager says

- BIOS date 04/01/08    Ver. 08.00.12

whoever when i start my compu.  on second black page it say, - BIOS

Version 1.1.0. L67

and -  hard disc not  detected  -         hehehee  -   new computer  in the horizon

Intel SSD , what would I do whit out you

Canon EOS 5D Mark III
SushiEater
Senior MemberPosts: 1,587Gear list
Like?
WAIT, WAIT, WAIT

Look closely. You BIOS is not their site. Yes, you have an old BIOS though. Your BIOS dated 08 and the latest updates for your revision is dated 09.

One explanation is that sometimes they list a BIOS for a short time  that has really bad something so they quickly remove it.

Another explanation could be is that you have different revision of this motherboard than the link you supplied.

In either case first find out for sure what motherboard you have and revision and then get the latest BIOS which is usually on top of the list.

SushiEater's gear list:SushiEater's gear list
Nikon D800E Nikon AF-S Nikkor 16-35mm f/4G ED VR Sigma 70-200mm F2.8 EX DG OS HSM Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-120mm f/4G ED VR Sigma 50-500mm F4.5-6.3 DG OS HSM +9 more
SushiEater
Senior MemberPosts: 1,587Gear list
Like?

Windows 7 has its own AHCI driver and it is installed automatically only if enabled in the BIOS.

The only way to install after the fact is to use this trick.

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-system/windows-7-64-bit-does-not-boot-with-ahci-enabled/1ed33ae9-b2ff-4d1f-b28c-406153e04faa

SushiEater's gear list:SushiEater's gear list
Nikon D800E Nikon AF-S Nikkor 16-35mm f/4G ED VR Sigma 70-200mm F2.8 EX DG OS HSM Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-120mm f/4G ED VR Sigma 50-500mm F4.5-6.3 DG OS HSM +9 more
brn
brn
Senior MemberPosts: 2,661Gear list
Like?

Don't install any AHCI driver.  At least not yet.

Disable AHCI in your BIOS.  Run with the SSD for at least a week without AHCI.  If you think you need AHCI (you may not), get the driver from https://downloadcenter.intel.com/

A primary benefit to AHCI is Native Command Queuing (NCQ).  This allows the drive to store multiple commands from the PC and execute them in the sequence it considers most efficient.  For a drive with moving parts, this can provide a lot of benefit.  The drive can make decisions on what to do, based on the physicality of the drive components.

An SSD doesn't have moving parts, so it doesn't benefit much.  In single threaded drive access circumstances (typical PC use), the extra computational overhead can actually be detrimental to drive performance.  In the case of heavily multi-tasking drive access, AHCI can be beneficial for an SSD.

brn's gear list:brn's gear list
Canon PowerShot SD4000 IS Nikon D70 Nikon D90 Nikon D7000
rio911
Like?
In reply to brn, Jun 1, 2013

brn wrote:

Don't install any AHCI driver.  At least not yet.

Disable AHCI in your BIOS.  Run with the SSD for at least a week without AHCI.  If you think you need AHCI (you may not), get the driver from https://downloadcenter.intel.com/

A primary benefit to AHCI is Native Command Queuing (NCQ).  This allows the drive to store multiple commands from the PC and execute them in the sequence it considers most efficient.  For a drive with moving parts, this can provide a lot of benefit.  The drive can make decisions on what to do, based on the physicality of the drive components.

An SSD doesn't have moving parts, so it doesn't benefit much.  In single threaded drive access circumstances (typical PC use), the extra computational overhead can actually be detrimental to drive performance.  In the case of heavily multi-tasking drive access, AHCI can be beneficial for an SSD.

Hi brn,

There are definite benefits of running SSD drive using AHCI controller.  There are large number of websites on the internet that can help you with that as well.

My personal experience, on my current machine I have an Intel 520 SSD.  Due to an old BIOS when I received my PC the SSD was running under IDE drivers and was barely reaching half of its design speed. That does not mean that it wasn't running, the PC was running just fine. Now under AHCI management, I'm getting the full 500Mb/s.  Compared to the 250Mb/s I was getting before that this is a very good improvement.

rio

johncz
Like?
In reply to johncz, Jun 2, 2013

done bios upgrade to 1401 ,

done all suggestions listed above

no change , win 7 64 doesn’t want to be installed

went to the shop explained everything , they put my Intel SSD 520 to their compu. and win 7  /  64  installation goes to the end and is ok. but on my computer

- bummer- .

why i have chosen Intel , no bloody idea.

i love you Intel , uhhhhh

Canon EOS 5D Mark III
rio911
Like?

johncz wrote:

done bios upgrade to 1401 ,

done all suggestions listed above

no change , win 7 64 doesn’t want to be installed

went to the shop explained everything , they put my Intel SSD 520 to their compu. and win 7  /  64  installation goes to the end and is ok. but on my computer

- bummer- .

why i have chosen Intel , no bloody idea.

i love you Intel , uhhhhh

Did you mean 1404? Because I can't see 1401 on that page that you listed before...

Can you please give an update of your current situation?

- MB model and bios version

- SSD setup under bios: ahci or something else

- did you disconnect the rest of the drives

- which version of win7

rio

johncz
Like?
In reply to rio911, Jun 2, 2013

Bios 03/31/09  Ver. 08.00.12

SMBIOSBIOSVresion : 1404

SMBIOSMajorVersion: 2.4

Motherboard  P5E3  Rev 1.0.2.G

Win 7 ultimate

Actually –– when only Intel is connected – when i change in BIOS to AHCI then accept the changes, computer restarts and BIOS loads only very first ( black) page , that is it. there is no even chance to pres del. To go back to bios

Force shutdown – And then i connect to sata 1 another hd with OS plus Intel to different sata , 
I can see Intel as a driver with win files loaded

big messsssssss

Canon EOS 5D Mark III
rio911
Like?

johncz wrote:

Win 7 ultimate

Actually –– when only Intel is connected – when i change in BIOS to AHCI then accept the changes, computer restarts and BIOS loads only very first ( black) page , that is it. there is no even chance to pres del. To go back to bios

Force shutdown – And then i connect to sata 1 another hd with OS plus Intel to different sata , 
I can see Intel as a driver with win files loaded

big messsssssss

If you can't get the system BIOS to see the drive, you have a different problem all together.  For sure get rid of every other drive in the system, chose a different set of cables: data and power, connect your Intel SSD and boot the system into BIOS.  Do you see the drive or not? Is it properly and correctly recognised?

rio

johncz
Like?
In reply to rio911, Jun 2, 2013

All connections are good, I checked and rechecked  it.

The same win was installed on Kingston 64GB , on my compu. no problems
Also in the shop guys installed on their compu . my Intel 520, no problems
Probably my bios/motherboard not compatible with Intel 520 ! – I cannot believe  
but, what else ?

Canon EOS 5D Mark III
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads