Increase RAM
May 31, 2013

How to increase the RAM please.

Your input will be greatly appreciated

Thanks

-- hide signature --

http://www.flickr.com/photos/walidhassan/
Nikon D80, D300, D3s
18-135m,50 mm f1.8, 70-300mm VR, Sigma 150mm f2.8, Nikon 300mm f4 AF-S, Tamron 28-70 f2.8, Nikon 24-70 f2.8
SB600, Wireless Flash Trigger
slingshot 200 AW
Giotto tripod, Giotto ballhead
Manfrotto Monopod 680B
Cokin Filters
1.4TC

Nikoni's gear list:Nikoni's gear list
Nikon D300 Nikon D3S Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6G ED-IF Nikon AF-S Nikkor 300mm f/4D ED-IF Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D +6 more
FrankieJ
Senior MemberPosts: 1,253Gear list
Like?
Re: Increase RAM
In reply to Nikoni, May 31, 2013

Purchase compatible RAM, plug RAM into empty memory slots.

Is this a joke?

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Ho72
Senior MemberPosts: 1,520
Like?

Nikoni wrote:

Do you want to add RAM to your computer, increase the memory allocation in Photoshop, or something else? Please be more specific.

Nikoni
Regular MemberPosts: 448Gear list
Like?
In reply to Ho72, May 31, 2013

Ho72 wrote:

Nikoni wrote:

Do you want to add RAM to your computer, increase the memory allocation in Photoshop, or something else? Please be more specific.

Hi Ho72,

Thanks for your reply, it is to increase memory allocation or photoshop, I started doing panoramas, when I stitch them in PS CS6 it stops nd says not enogh RAM...etc memory.

So if you know how would you  advise me please

Thanks

-- hide signature --

Nikon D80, D300, D3s
18-135m,50 mm f1.8, 70-300mm VR, Sigma 150mm f2.8, Nikon 300mm f4 AF-S, Tamron 28-70 f2.8, Nikon 24-70 f2.8
slingshot 200 AW
Manfrotto Monopod 680B
Cokin Filters
1.4TC

Nikon D300 Nikon D3S Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6G ED-IF Nikon AF-S Nikkor 300mm f/4D ED-IF Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D +6 more
robert1955
Senior MemberPosts: 1,620
Like?

There are two levels

1. look at available RAM. In PS EDit>preferences>performance. You'll see a box 'memory usage' in which there is an 'ideal range' suggested. Under that is a line 'let photshop use'. If that is low, you could increase. There is no gain in going over the suggested range, 707-75% is max (other apps and the operating system also neeed some)

2. if this does not work, you could look into increasing the physical RAM by adding a pair. Look into the specs of your PC whether it is possible. Many sites will then be able to determine what kind you need. Placing is easy, but you will have to open the box (which often means breaking warranty seals and ALWAYS disconnecting from the electricity supply).

X. If this is not possible, you could work on smaller sized copy files: 8 bit instead of 16, less pixels

Jim Cockfield
Forum ProPosts: 14,484
Like?
Operating System, Computer Details?

What Operating System are you using now?

For CS6 to take advantage of more memory, you'll need to use the 64 bit version of it with a 64 Bit Operating System (e.g., 64 Bit Windows Vista, 64 Bit Windows 7, or 64 Bit Windows 8).

If you're using a 32 bit version instead (or either the OS or CS6), then CS6 will not have access to all of your computer's memory.

You may also need to add more memory to your PC.    What kind of PC do you have now and how much RAM is installed?

Crucial has a system scanner tool you can use that can analyze your system and make suggestions on memory upgrades.   Get it here:

http://www.crucial.com/systemscanner/

-- hide signature --

JimC
------

Ho72
Senior MemberPosts: 1,520
Like?

Nikoni wrote:
Thanks for your reply, it is to increase memory allocation or photoshop, I started doing panoramas, when I stitch them in PS CS6 it stops nd says not enogh RAM...etc memory.

Jim is asking the right questions regarding your OS (32 vs. 64) and the amount of RAM already installed in your machine. If you have a 64 bit OS and plenty of installed RAM, then adjust your memory allocation as Robert explained.

Pano work can absolutely use huge amounts of RAM. Some people have 64GB installed and still hit the scratch file.

Nikoni
Like?
In reply to robert1955, May 31, 2013

Robert

Thanks for the thorough information I should check this.

Thanks again
--
Nikon D80, D300, D3s

slingshot 200 AW
Manfrotto Monopod 680B
Cokin Filters
1.4TC

Nikoni
Like?
In reply to Ho72, May 31, 2013

Nikoni wrote:

Jim is asking the right questions regarding your OS (32 vs. 64) and the amount of RAM already installed in your machine. If you have a 64 bit OS and plenty of installed RAM, then adjust your memory allocation as Robert explained.

Pano work can absolutely use huge amounts of RAM. Some people have 64GB installed and still hit the scratch file.

Ho72

Thanks Shan you have been absolutely brilliant,
I've got 32bits and Ram 4GB
--
Nikon D80, D300, D3s

slingshot 200 AW
Manfrotto Monopod 680B
Cokin Filters
1.4TC

Jim Cockfield
Like?

Nikoni wrote:

Nikoni wrote:

Ho72

If you have a 32 bit version of Windows, then Photoshop will only use around 1.7GB of it, no matter how much you have installed.

http://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/kb/64-bit-os-benefits-limitations.html#main_RAM_use_Win

For that matter, even Windows itself will only be able to use around 3.2GB of the 4GB you have installed (but, a 32 bit version of Photoshop won't use more than 1.7GB of it).

in other words, only around 3.2GB of the 4GB of memory you have installed is being used by a 32 bit version of Windows, and Photoshop is only going to use 1.7GB of it.

That's just a limitation of a 32 bit Operating System and the way the 32 Bit version of CS6 works.   You need to go with 64 bit versions for Photoshop to be able to use more of the memory you have installed for memory intensive tasks like stitching panoramas.

For starters, you need to upgrade to a 64 Bit Operating System.  That way, Photoshop can use more than 1.7GB of the memory you have installed

I'd suggest installing 64 Bit Windows 7 for starters.   Here in the U.S., you can find an OEM version of 64 Bit Windows 7 for less than $100.

Chances are, that will give you around 1GB more for CS6 (as 64 Bit Win 7 will probably take around 1GB of the 4GB you have installed, allowing close to 3GB for Photoshop use (versus the 1.7GB maximum that CS6 will use with a 32 Bit Operating System).

Then, depending on the performance you get after installing a 64 bit Operating System (for example, 64 Bit Windows 7 or 64 Bit Windows 8), consider upgrading to more memory in your PC, too.    I'd give more details on the PC you have for better responses (brand/model, etc.).

-- hide signature --

JimC
------

Nikoni
Like?
In reply to Jim Cockfield, May 31, 2013

Nikoni wrote:

Nikoni wrote:

Ho72

If you have a 32 bit version of Windows, then Photoshop will only use around 1.7GB of it, no matter how much you have installed.

http://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/kb/64-bit-os-benefits-limitations.html#main_RAM_use_Win

For that matter, even Windows itself will only be able to use around 3.2GB of the 4GB you have installed (but, a 32 bit version of Photoshop won't use more than 1.7GB of it).

in other words, only around 3.2GB of the 4GB of memory you have installed is being used by a 32 bit version of Windows, and Photoshop is only going to use 1.7GB of it.

That's just a limitation of a 32 bit Operating System and the way the 32 Bit version of CS6 works.   You need to go with 64 bit versions for Photoshop to be able to use more of the memory you have installed for memory intensive tasks like stitching panoramas.

For starters, you need to upgrade to a 64 Bit Operating System.  That way, Photoshop can use more than 1.7GB of the memory you have installed

I'd suggest installing 64 Bit Windows 7 for starters.   Here in the U.S., you can find an OEM version of 64 Bit Windows 7 for less than $100.

Chances are, that will give you around 1GB more for CS6 (as 64 Bit Win 7 will probably take around 1GB of the 4GB you have installed, allowing close to 3GB for Photoshop use (versus the 1.7GB maximum that CS6 will use with a 32 Bit Operating System).

Then, depending on the performance you get after installing a 64 bit Operating System (for example, 64 Bit Windows 7 or 64 Bit Windows 8), consider upgrading to more memory in your PC, too.    I'd give more details on the PC you have for better responses (brand/model, etc.).

-- hide signature --

JimC
------

Hi Jim
Wow, Just reading your explanation of the whole OS
--made my head spin, obviously I know very little about computers as you may have gathered.

So upgrading to 64 requires lots of work as well as money, so probably buying a new PC will save me time at least and not cause me any headache

Thanks again Jim, I should think of what is my next step then, buying or upgrading?

Cheers

Nikon D80, D300, D3s

slingshot 200 AW
Manfrotto Monopod 680B
Cokin Filters
1.4TC

Jim Cockfield
Like?
In reply to Nikoni, Jun 1, 2013

Nikoni wrote:

Thanks again Jim, I should think of what is my next step then, buying or upgrading?

How can we help you if we do not know what you have now?

Your question is like asking someone if buying a new lens for your existing camera, or getting a new camera and lens is better to improve your photos, without letting anyone know what camera and lens you're currently using.

You're not giving us any information.

As suggested in my last two posts, let members here know more about the computer you have for better suggestions.

Let us know the brand and model of the PC you're using, along with the CPU it's using and what operating system you have on it.

It may be just fine by spending a small amount of money for a new version of Windows and some additional memory, saving you the cost of buying a new PC.

But, we have no idea what you're using at this point, because you still have not given us any details about your computer other than you think it's using a 32 bit OS and has 4GB of memory.

That doesn't tell us much about it, as there are thousands of different computer models that could meet that description, with lots of differences between them.

We need the details about your computer to help you.

Look... you can buy an OEM copy of 64 bit Windows 7 for less than $100 right now.  Even that type of upgrade would probably give you more memory available to Photoshop, since it sounds like you already have 4GB installed (but, Photoshop cannot use most of it with a 32 bit Operating System).

Also, additional RAM is very inexpensive anymore (and it just plugs into the slots on the motherboard).

But, we need to know what you have now to make better suggestions on what the best options are.

IOW, if you want help, give us more information.   We need to know exactly what PC you have now (brand/model if it's an off-the-shelf type of system, along with the CPU it's using.

Without that type of information, we have no idea what to suggest.

Did you try running the Crucial Scanner tool I suggested using in my first post to this thread?  That will give you an idea of what kind of memory upgrades are applicable.

But, if you would simply tell us what kind of PC you have (being as specific as possible about the brand and model, cpu installed, etc.), we could probably help you figure out that kind of thing and if it's inexpensive to upgrade it or not.

-- hide signature --

JimC
------

Nikoni
Like?
In reply to Jim Cockfield, Jun 3, 2013

Jim Cockfield wrote:

Nikoni wrote:

How can we help you if we do not know what you have now?

Your question is like asking someone if buying a new lens for your existing camera, or getting a new camera and lens is better to improve your photos, without letting anyone know what camera and lens you're currently using.

You're not giving us any information.

As suggested in my last two posts, let members here know more about the computer you have for better suggestions.

Let us know the brand and model of the PC you're using, along with the CPU it's using and what operating system you have on it.

It may be just fine by spending a small amount of money for a new version of Windows and some additional memory, saving you the cost of buying a new PC.

But, we have no idea what you're using at this point, because you still have not given us any details about your computer other than you think it's using a 32 bit OS and has 4GB of memory.

That doesn't tell us much about it, as there are thousands of different computer models that could meet that description, with lots of differences between them.

We need the details about your computer to help you.

Look... you can buy an OEM copy of 64 bit Windows 7 for less than $100 right now.  Even that type of upgrade would probably give you more memory available to Photoshop, since it sounds like you already have 4GB installed (but, Photoshop cannot use most of it with a 32 bit Operating System).

Also, additional RAM is very inexpensive anymore (and it just plugs into the slots on the motherboard).

But, we need to know what you have now to make better suggestions on what the best options are.

IOW, if you want help, give us more information.   We need to know exactly what PC you have now (brand/model if it's an off-the-shelf type of system, along with the CPU it's using.

Without that type of information, we have no idea what to suggest.

Did you try running the Crucial Scanner tool I suggested using in my first post to this thread?  That will give you an idea of what kind of memory upgrades are applicable.

But, if you would simply tell us what kind of PC you have (being as specific as possible about the brand and model, cpu installed, etc.), we could probably help you figure out that kind of thing and if it's inexpensive to upgrade it or not.

-- hide signature --

JimC
------

Hi Jim,

Thanks for your reply and sorry I was in home to check the post,My knowledge of computers is very limited, what I can do is take a screen shot of the information from my computer >property.... would this be enough.

Thanks again for your help

-- hide signature --

Nikon D80, D300, D3s
slingshot 200 AW
Manfrotto Monopod 680B
Cokin Filters
1.4TC

glasswave
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,174
Like?
Re: You need to take your computer to a technician...
In reply to Nikoni, Jun 3, 2013

Nikoni wrote:

Find out what compueter it is, if you can upgrade your os and if you have the space to add more RAM.

I'm sorry but you seem to know too little about your system for us to help you.

-- hide signature --

There is simply too much beauty in the world to photograph it all, but I'm trying.

sdribetahi
Contributing MemberPosts: 819
Like?

Dude, you have to give a lot more information. I don't even know if it's a desktop or laptop. This isn't like changing a lightbulb.

Nikoni
Like?
This is the information, Hope this is what is required
In reply to sdribetahi, Jun 3, 2013

-- hide signature --

Nikon D80, D300, D3s
slingshot 200 AW
Manfrotto Monopod 680B
Cokin Filters
1.4TC

Nikoni
Like?
Re: This is the information, Hope this is what is required

Nikoni wrote:

-- hide signature --

Nikon D80, D300, D3s
slingshot 200 AW
Manfrotto Monopod 680B
Cokin Filters
1.4TC

-- hide signature --

Nikon D80, D300, D3s
slingshot 200 AW
Manfrotto Monopod 680B
Cokin Filters
1.4TC

JamesMortimer
Senior MemberPosts: 1,492
Like?
In reply to Nikoni, Jun 5, 2013

Nikoni wrote:

Thanks

-- hide signature --

Nikon D80, D300, D3s
slingshot 200 AW
Manfrotto Monopod 680B
Cokin Filters
1.4TC

Here you go..

Increase RAM

Download and go faster!

Jim Cockfield
Like?
Expensive to upgrade that model
In reply to Nikoni, Jun 6, 2013

Sorry for the delay, as I missed your post with specifications.

I think the cost would be too high to upgrade that model.

That's a Packard Bell Media X2416 with a Core 2 Quad 8200 using 32 Bit Vista.

The Motherboard in that PC Model only has 2 memory slots and uses non-ECC DDR2 memory.

In order to bring it up to 8GB of memory, you'd need to replace the memory in it (unplug the old memory, plug in new memory) with two 4GB modules that would be very expensive.

That system was specified for 4GB Maximum Memory (2x4GB) from the manufacturer.  But, Crucial makes an 8GB set of memory (2x4GB) that is guaranteed compatible with it.  This set:

http://www.crucial.com/store/mpartspecs.aspx?mtbpoid=EA56A894A5CA7304

You may be able to find another set of 2x4GB of PC2-5300 or PC2-6400 (and it would need to be non-ECC) that *might* work with it.   For example, one of these:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=100007611%20600006042%20600006069&IsNodeId=1&name=8GB%20%282%20x%204GB%29

But, because that type of memory is very rare (4GB DIMMs of DDR2), and that system was only designed for 4GB maximum (2x2GB which is what you have now), I'd stick with Crucial (since their set of 2x4GB for 8GB total is guaranteed to work in it, and it's approximately the same price as the other options).

However, you would also need to install a 64 Bit Operating System before the 8GB of memory would be recognized.     That would require a fresh installation of Windows (since you can't do an in place upgrade from a 32 bit version to a 64 bit version).

So, you'd want to buy something like 64 Bit Windows 7 (around $100 for an OEM version, or a a little more for an upgrade version), and install Windows and all of your programs again before the extra memory could be used (since 32 Bit Vista won't use more than about 3.2GB of what you have installed, and a 64 Bit Operating System is needed to utilize more of it).

In other words, you'd need to invest approximately $300 to upgrade it to 8GB of memory and 64 Bit Windows 7 (or 64 Bit Windows 8) so that you can use 8GB of memory.   Because it only has 2 memory slots, you could never go with more than 8GB total in it either.

Personally, I think I'd just buy a new PC instead, as newer PCs will already have a 64 Bit Operating System installed, and would use far less expensive DDR3 type memory.   For example, you could buy 16GB (for example, a set of 2x8GB) of fast 1600Mhz DDR3 for approximately $100 for use with a modern PC.    So, you're spending 4 times as much money for half the memory trying to upgrade an older model like that Packard Bell.

Plus, a newer CPU is much faster.   For example, you could buy a new system with a newer Intel Core i5 3xxx CPU (Core i5 3550, 3470, 3570K, etc.) or even newer Core i5 4xxx CPU, and have a system that's going to be approximately twice as fast for use with applications like Photoshop, and you could more easily add additional memory.

Unless you're on a very tight budget, I think I'd just spend $500 or $600 on a newer PC with something like a Core i5 3xxx CPU model, 64 Bit Windows 7 or 8, and 8GB memory already installed,  versus spending around $300 to upgrade your old one, since a newer PC like that would be *much* faster and allow you to add more memory for far less money (since newer PCs use a less expensive type of memory).   If you're on a tight budget, you may want to look into refurbished machines (for example, Dell, HP and others sell refurbished computers for good prices on sale).

That way, you could get a much faster PC with a  newer 64 Bit Operating System and more memory, versus trying to spend a lot of money to upgrade an older model like your Packard Bell, especially, since you are limited as to how much memory you could add, and the CPU in it is not as fast as the newer Quad Core models.

-- hide signature --

JimC
------

Jim Cockfield
Like?
least expensive way...
In reply to Jim Cockfield, Jun 6, 2013

Here's what appear to be your best option in the UK (where your profile says you're located) if you really want to upgrade the old machine.

Buy the boxed version for an upgrade to Windows 8 Pro from Amazon:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Windows-Pro-Upgrade-XP-Vista/dp/B008GRKGXK/

It contains both 32 bit and 64 bit media.   You'll want to go with 64 Bit, and you'll need to use the "Custom" install option when prompted, meaning that you will not retain anything from your original installation.  Basically, when you select "Custom", it performs a Clean installation (overwriting everything that was already installed).

That's because if you do an in place upgrade, you'd need to stick with 32 bit (which wouldn't let you access more than 4GB of memory).  Instead, you'll need to back up all of your data, and use the "Custom" install option with 64 Bit Windows 8.

After installing Windows 8, you'll need to reinstall all of your programs again, then restore your backed up data.

Then, replace your memory (you'll have 2 modules plugged into your motherboard) with this 2x4GB set of memory from Crucial so you'll have 8GB total:

http://www.crucial.com/uk/store/mpartspecs.aspx?mtbpoid=EA56A894A5CA7304

Then, what I'd do is install Classic Shell for Windows.  It's free and will make Windows 8 look and work more like Windows Vista or Windows 7.   Get it here:

http://sourceforge.net/projects/classicshell/

Article about it:

http://www.dedoimedo.com/computers/windows-8-classic-shell.html

That upgrade would cost you approximately £210 including VAT, and would give you 64 Bit Windows 8 and 8GB of memory.   The new user interface in Windows 8 can be confusing.  But, if you install the free Classic Shell, it will look and work like Vista or Windows 7, making it easier for you to adjust to it.

Since Photoshop will only use around 1.7GB of your memory under 32 Bit Vista (and will use all available memory under a 64 Bit OS like Windows 8 once you install the 64 Bit version of Photoshop,which it will do automatically when you install it again), you should end up with several times as much memory available to CS6 after the Operating System and Programs are loaded.

But, given that it's an older PC, you may want to consider just buying a newer model that already has a 64 Bit Operating System and more memory installed (and you could easily upgrade a newer model to 16GB for very little more later, since newer computers use a less expensive DDR3 memory type).

-- hide signature --

JimC
------

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads