Ricoh GR owners. AF speed, Iso question. And rx100 comparison?

Started May 30, 2013 | Questions
nico-foto
Regular MemberPosts: 165
Like?
Ricoh GR owners. AF speed, Iso question. And rx100 comparison?
May 30, 2013

I have a question to Ricoh GR owners regarding AF speed and low light performance. In daylight, do you think it is fast enough for grabbing snap shots in the street? How does it perform at, say, iso 1600? And finally...has anyone here had the chance to compare AF speed and IQ to the Sony RX100?

-- hide signature --

www.flickr.com/nicolasraddatz
www.nico-foto.com

ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
Sony RX100
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
pepl
New MemberPosts: 4
Like?
Re: Ricoh GR owners. AF speed, Iso question. And rx100 comparison?
In reply to nico-foto, May 30, 2013

Ricoh GR AF 0,25 sec, Sony RX100 0,3 sec, Fuji X20 0,20 sec. See ephotozine.com.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Kodachrome200
Contributing MemberPosts: 757Gear list
Like?

at iso 1600 it works great. The af is superb in all but the lowest light. It still works pretty good in the lowlight but you want to be careful. I only used an rx100 once but if memory serves the rx100 is snappier however I like using the GRs autofocus controls far more than the rx100 making it smoother to use it in practice

Kodachrome200's gear list:Kodachrome200's gear list
Ricoh GR Nikon D800 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II Sigma 12-24mm F4.5-5.6 EX DG Aspherical HSM +3 more
Kodachrome200
Contributing MemberPosts: 757Gear list
Like?

also any ISO and image quality to the RX100 is foolish the GR will monsters it. the GR is more aptly compared in IQ to top of the line apsc dslrs.

Kodachrome200's gear list:Kodachrome200's gear list
Ricoh GR Nikon D800 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II Sigma 12-24mm F4.5-5.6 EX DG Aspherical HSM +3 more
AngryCorgi
Contributing MemberPosts: 914Gear list
Like?
In reply to Kodachrome200, May 30, 2013

Kodachrome200 wrote:

also any ISO and image quality to the RX100 is foolish the GR will monsters it. the GR is more aptly compared in IQ to top of the line apsc dslrs.

It "will monsters it"??  You lost me there.

-- hide signature --

-AC-

nico-foto
Like?

Kodachrome200 wrote:

Hi Kodachrome, have you had the chance to personally compare the two? I would prefer input from real life usage and not "charts" or "specs" comparisons. Thanks.

-- hide signature --

www.nico-foto.com

pepl
New MemberPosts: 4
Like?

AF GR= 0,2, sec, AF RX100= 0,3 sec, AF Fuji X20= 0,2 sec. See on ephotozine.com

Magne Nilsen
Senior MemberPosts: 1,120
Like?

Kodachrome200 wrote:

If you mean it is a monster (magnitude) better, I would beg to differ.

Looking at the sensor sizes first:

1/1.8" 38 mm2 (like org. GR Digital)
Sony 1" 123 mm2 is 3.2x more than 1/1.8"
APS-C 370 mm2 is 3x more than 1"
35mm full frame 860 mm2 is 2.3x more than APS-C

- there is an obvious progression in terms of area here, and it does say something about light gathering quality and noise level, but not all. Still - the RX100 is not bad. Where the GR can do ISO 3200 pretty good, the RX100 does ISO 1600 pretty good. You can compare yourself in the DPR studio-scene page

Lenses also comes into play. The RX100 28-100mm Zeiss 1.8 lens is quite good, but can't compete with a HQ fixed 28 mm like on the GR - at 28mm. Obviously the fixed 28mm will not let you zoom at all.

Autofocus wise I find the RX100 to be surprisingly good, maybe even better than the GR in some situations. I have only spent some minutes with the GR, but it was good too.

You can compare a GR to a high-end APS-C SLR with a HQ 28mm fixed lens, and it will fit in your pocket, but IMO you can compare a RX100 to a medium quality APS-C SLR with a kit zoom lens, and that is also quite an achievement, considering that it too will fit your pocket.

~~~~
Magne

nico-foto
Like?
In reply to pepl, May 30, 2013

pepl wrote:

AF GR= 0,2, sec, AF RX100= 0,3 sec, AF Fuji X20= 0,2 sec. See on ephotozine.com

Thanks for the info. I was interested in hearing user's real world comparisons. Most of the time the studio tests do not tell the whole story. There are so many things that can affect AF in the real world.

-- hide signature --

www.nico-foto.com

nico-foto
Like?
In reply to Magne Nilsen, May 30, 2013

Magne Nilsen wrote:

RX100 28-100mm Zeiss 1.8 lens is quite good, but can't compete with a HQ fixed 28 mm like on the GR - at 28mm. Obviously the fixed 28mm will not let you zoom at all.

Autofocus wise I find the RX100 to be surprisingly good, maybe even better than the GR in some situations. I have only spent some minutes with the GR, but it was good too.

You can compare a GR to a high-end APS-C SLR with a HQ 28mm fixed lens, and it will fit in your pocket, but IMO you can compare a RX100 to a medium quality APS-C SLR with a kit zoom lens, and that is also quite an achievement, considering that it too will fit your pocket.

~~~~
Magne

Thanks for the feedback.

I've been using my x100 lately for casual street shooting (i.e. whenever i go out of my house i take the camera with me), mostly taking quick snapshots, from the hip pictures - you get the idea. I'm mostly using the 28mm-equivalent focal length for that. So, given the similar form factor, i'm pondering the idea of selling the RX100 and getting a GR. I would have a qualitative jump in IQ because of bigger sensor size, but i'm not so sure about operational speed, particularly AF, which the RX100 is really fast for a contrast detection compact.

-- hide signature --

www.nico-foto.com

stonebat
Forum MemberPosts: 64
Like?

I was showing off GR to a buddy who had RX100 in hand at the moment. I held his RX100 but handed it over to him immediately. GR has a far better grip. With a better sensor and a good grip and the snap focus feature, a skilled GR user will have little or no issue in capturing pretty decent low lighting photos.

Banana Chips™
Contributing MemberPosts: 628Gear list
Like?

nico-foto wrote:

I have a question to Ricoh GR owners regarding AF speed and low light performance. In daylight, do you think it is fast enough for grabbing snap shots in the street? How does it perform at, say, iso 1600? And finally...has anyone here had the chance to compare AF speed and IQ to the Sony RX100?

-- hide signature --

www.nico-foto.com

AF is quick and accurate when there is enough light; otherwise, it hunts and accuracy falters...but IMO not as bad as the EPM2 that I had for a short while.

As for noise...well...you can see color noise (not to be confused with luminance noise) with ISO as low as ISO 400 when developed with Photo Ninja...Aperture/LR does not show you that these noise exist...so it's probably a non-issue.

lens is really sharp.  hard to fault it even at f2.8...it's so sharp it even causes aliasing, which shows you that it can outresolve the sensor easily.

You can see the set here.  I'll be adding more to the set as I progress through my written review.

Banana Chips™'s gear list:Banana Chips™'s gear list
Ricoh GR Digital Nikon D600 Leica M Typ 240 Nikon PC-E Micro-Nikkor 85mm f/2.8D Nikon AF-S Nikkor 85mm f/1.4G +6 more
nico-foto
Like?
In reply to stonebat, May 30, 2013

stonebat wrote:

With a better sensor and a good grip and the snap focus feature, a skilled GR user will have little or no issue in capturing pretty decent low lighting photos.

Exactly, that is what i'm thinking. Looks like a great street cam, particularly if you are used to photographing close to the action. I find the 28mm focal length very well suited for working at close distances.

-- hide signature --

www.nico-foto.com

Mousetrapper
Regular MemberPosts: 104
Like?
In reply to Banana Chips™, May 31, 2013

Banana Chips™ wrote:

nico-foto wrote:

-- hide signature --

www.nico-foto.com

AF is quick and accurate when there is enough light; otherwise, it hunts and accuracy falters...but IMO not as bad as the EPM2 that I had for a short while.

As for noise...well...you can see color noise (not to be confused with luminance noise) with ISO as low as ISO 400 when developed with Photo Ninja...Aperture/LR does not show you that these noise exist...so it's probably a non-issue.

lens is really sharp.  hard to fault it even at f2.8...it's so sharp it even causes aliasing, which shows you that it can outresolve the sensor easily.

You can see the set here.  I'll be adding more to the set as I progress through my written review.

Banana Chips™  (if that is your real name )

Really nice B&W images. In camera or post pro?

-- hide signature --

not affiliated with anyone except myself

ChristianHass
Senior MemberPosts: 1,923Gear list
Like?
In reply to Banana Chips™, 10 months ago

Banana Chips™ wrote:
You can see the set here. I'll be adding more to the set as I progress through my written review.

Very nice images! The GR is mighty temping..

-- hide signature --

Shooting for fun and memories.
My Flickr - http://www.flickr.com/photos/christianhass/

ChristianHass's gear list:ChristianHass's gear list
Sigma DP1x Sigma DP1 Merrill Sigma DP3 Merrill Sony RX100 II
Logan3-1639
Regular MemberPosts: 135Gear list
Like?
In reply to nico-foto, 10 months ago

nico-foto wrote:

-- hide signature --

www.nico-foto.com

I owned the RX100 before I sold it to upgrade to the GR. In daylight, the AF seemed to be about the same between the two cameras, but in low-light, the RX100 AF was noticeably faster than the GR's AF. If you're willing  to spend some time becoming familiar with the GR's snap-focus feature, then you'll never have to worry about focusing in low light

The GR's snap focus is a zone-focusing implementation, where you prefocus the camera for one of a number of specific (preset) distances, and if the subject is close to the prefocused distance it will be in focus, depending on your chosen aperture's DOF. Obviously, smaller apertures will give greater DOF, so more objects will be in focus. If you're not familiar with zone focusing, it may take some adjustment to get used to this feature, but once you're comfortable with it, you'll find it works very well, especially for street photography.

Even though the GR's AF is plenty fast enough for daylight photography, lately, I'm finding myself using snap focus most of the time for street photography.

The RX100 is smaller than the GR, so it was more pocketable for me. I do sometimes carry the GR in a coat pocket, but it's uncomfortably snug in my jeans pockets.

However, there's no comparison between the GR and RX100, when it comes to the experience of shooting photos: the RX100 was slippery and awkward in my hand, even after adding the Franiec custom grip, but the GR was designed to fit comfortably in your hand, and it's possible to make adjustments to any or all of the GR's settings (and shoot) one-handed. The GR is the most comfortable-to-use, enjoyable camera I've ever experienced, by a long shot.

Also, the IQ of the GR is definitely superior to the RX100. You can see this for yourself by going to the DPR review of the GR and use the IQ comparison widget to pixel peep DPR's studio images for both cameras.

Here's a link to my Flickr GR set, which includes a few photos shot in low-light:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/53674854@N00/sets/72157636324676163/

Logan3-1639's gear list:Logan3-1639's gear list
Ricoh GR Olympus E-M1 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 12mm 1:2 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 75mm 1:1.8 +2 more
Banana Chips™
Contributing MemberPosts: 628Gear list
Like?
In reply to Mousetrapper, 10 months ago

Mousetrapper wrote:

Banana Chips™ (if that is your real name )

My real name is Banana Bread.

Really nice B&W images. In camera or post pro?

thanks, although they're not really anything to write home about.

those are post-processed in CS with Silver Efex.

Banana Chips™'s gear list:Banana Chips™'s gear list
Ricoh GR Digital Nikon D600 Leica M Typ 240 Nikon PC-E Micro-Nikkor 85mm f/2.8D Nikon AF-S Nikkor 85mm f/1.4G +6 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads