Olympus repairs in Canada - Trinitek Electronics Inc ???

Started May 30, 2013 | Discussions
dahod
Regular MemberPosts: 305
Like?
Olympus repairs in Canada - Trinitek Electronics Inc ???
May 30, 2013

Up until recently Olympus repairs in Canada went to the Olympus facility in Waterloo, Ont.  I was going to send in my E-3 for cleaning but I see on the service request now that the camera is supposed to go to Trinitek Electronics Inc in Mississauga.

When did this happen and does anybody have any experience with them?

Thanks

Dave

Olympus E-3
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
19andrew47
Forum ProPosts: 13,291Gear list
Like?
Re: Olympus repairs in Canada - Trinitek Electronics Inc ???
In reply to dahod, May 30, 2013

This is news to me so I am very much interested in the answer to this.  I believe my last repair went to a facility in Toronto but that was several years back.

Andrew

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
jkrumm
Veteran MemberPosts: 8,232
Like?

I don't know but I heard that Olympus repairs in the U.S. go to Texas, which is also new. Perhaps they decided to outsource repairs...

-- hide signature --

John Krumm
Juneau, AK

Scanlon
Regular MemberPosts: 191
Like?

I've had lenses and my E-510 and E-5 in to them. They are very obliging and fast, if you tell them you need it for some event - no more than a week. I brought it in to them, even though, technically, they are not "set up for that" (Olympus America). As long as you have the forms filled out, they are good with that. Pretty good service, IMO.

alatchin
Contributing MemberPosts: 760Gear list
Like?
+1 to Scanlon
In reply to Scanlon, May 30, 2013

Scanlon wrote:

I've had lenses and my E-510 and E-5 in to them. They are very obliging and fast, if you tell them you need it for some event - no more than a week. I brought it in to them, even though, technically, they are not "set up for that" (Olympus America). As long as you have the forms filled out, they are good with that. Pretty good service, IMO.

Dropped off a couple of my Fl50r's for servicing and they turned it around in no time, no hassle and they let me drop it off and pick it up!

Abraham

-- hide signature --

“You don’t take a photograph, you make it.” -Ansel Adams
blog.alatchinphotography(dot)com

alatchin's gear list:alatchin's gear list
Olympus E-3 Olympus PEN E-P2 Olympus PEN E-PL2 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus PEN E-PL5 +20 more
TitanicHindenburgOlympus
New MemberPosts: 8
Like?
Re: +1 to Scanlon
In reply to alatchin, May 30, 2013

Olympus closed its last repair center on Long Island at the end of March. Repairs are being done by Precision Camera in El Paso, Texas. The cameras are then turcked across the border to Juarez, mexico for repair.

carizi
carizi MOD
Veteran MemberPosts: 9,168Gear list
Like?
TitanicHindenburgOlympus
In reply to TitanicHindenburgOlympus, May 30, 2013

TitanicHindenburgOlympus wrote:

Olympus closed its last repair center on Long Island at the end of March. Repairs are being done by Precision Camera in El Paso, Texas. The cameras are then turcked across the border to Juarez, mexico for repair.

Do you have any evidence to support your claim that repairs are done in Juarez, Mexico.  And if you do, I will certainly like to see it.  Is it in writing? E-mail? recorded conversation? or are you just jesting?

carizi's gear list:carizi's gear list
Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 50mm 1:2.0 Macro Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 12-60mm 1:2.8-4.0 SWD +4 more
Mako2011
Forum ProPosts: 16,009
Like?
Shifts
In reply to carizi, May 30, 2013

carizi wrote:

TitanicHindenburgOlympus wrote:

Do you have any evidence to support your claim that repairs are done in Juarez, Mexico.  And if you do, I will certainly like to see it.  Is it in writing? E-mail? recorded conversation? or are you just jesting?

It looks likely and makes some sense considering the proximity of the two facilities.

Shifts work

-- hide signature --

My opinions are my own and not those of DPR or its administration. They carry no 'special' value (except to me and Lacie of course)

skeys
skeys MOD
Senior MemberPosts: 1,833Gear list
Like?
Olympus USA products repaired in El Paso: confirmed by...

multiple phone calls to Precision Camera by myself and Carizi this afternoon.

Steve

-- hide signature --

My comments and opinions are my own. I am neither a staff member, nor a paid employee, of DPReview.

Mako2011
Like?
confirmed by...Customer
In reply to skeys, May 31, 2013

skeys wrote:

multiple phone calls to Precision Camera by myself and Carizi this afternoon.

Steve

From Larry N testimonial:

"They promised my repair and then kept delaying with all sorts of excuses. I went into their place and they were surprised that I showed up. Hey, if you're not going to help someone by phone, well what do you expect. Still just excuses so I demanded my camera back. They kept lying and saying it was in the back but all apart so they couldn't give it back to me like that. I didn't care, I wanted my camera but it never surfaced. Come to find out from an honest employee who told me my camera was in Mexico..."

Always two side to any story. Best Buy uses them so...be warned

Good Luck all. A real shame consumers have to be so careful.

-- hide signature --

My opinions are my own and not those of DPR or its administration. They carry no 'special' value (except to me and Lacie of course)

carizi
carizi MOD
Like?
And where is the source
In reply to Mako2011, May 31, 2013

of this testimonial????

Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 50mm 1:2.0 Macro Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 12-60mm 1:2.8-4.0 SWD +4 more
carizi
carizi MOD
Like?
From an article in 2011?

Things could have already changed....Do you have anything more...eh....current....????.....

erichK
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,026Gear list
Like?
If Juarez Mexico claim is true...
In reply to carizi, May 31, 2013

The goodby Olympus, from a 40 year loyal user!

-- hide signature --

erichK
saskatoon, canada
Photography is a small voice, at best, but sometimes one photograph, or a group of them, can lure our sense of awareness.
- W. Eugene Smith, Dec 30, 1918 to Oct 15, 1978.
http://erichk.zenfolio.com/
http://www.fototime.com/inv/7F3D846BCD301F3
underwater photos:
http://www.scubaboard.com/gallery/showgallery.php/cat/500/ppuser/5567

erichK's gear list:erichK's gear list
Olympus E-1 Olympus E-330 Olympus E-420 Olympus E-30 Olympus E-620 +22 more
Mako2011
Like?
Some
In reply to carizi, May 31, 2013

carizi wrote:

of this testimonial????

A few out there.  That one was from sitejabber I think. The Mexico plant seems to be hiring so business might be good. Would be interesting to see the breakdown of which plant does what. I personally wouldn't have a problem with it. I'm often really impressed by the work ethic on the other side of the tracks.

Good Luck all

erichK
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,026Gear list
Like?
It's not the work ethic...

Mako2011 wrote:

A few out there.  That one was from sitejabber I think. The Mexico plant seems to be hiring so business might be good. Would be interesting to see the breakdown of which plant does what. I personally wouldn't have a problem with it. I'm often really impressed by the work ethic on the other side of the tracks.

Good Luck all

...it's the loss of dedicated product expertise and courteous, generous service that Olympus was once famous for.

I worked as an employment counsellor and advocate for mainly professional immigrants -often engineers and technologists-  for over a decade, and certainly respect the expertise and work ethic of such people in most countries.  The problem is that people who are working on contract for an organization that is working on contract are unlikely to have the incentive - and freedom and resources - to do the little extras that we so appreciated in the past.

For example, when, living in Germany ca 1987, I went to an Olympus Cllinic at a camera store in nearby Basel, Switzerland and was amazed and impressed when they not only cleaned and calibrated my OM-1 and OM-2, but politly offered to do, and did the same for my old Pen FT and ancient Pen Fv.

You can't do such thing on contract, and, indeed, the job Trinitek did of checking and cleaning my E-5 seemed to have been very perfunctory.  It is hard to do more "on contract".

erichK
saskatoon, canada
Photography is a small voice, at best, but sometimes one photograph, or a group of them, can lure our sense of awareness.
- W. Eugene Smith, Dec 30, 1918 to Oct 15, 1978.
http://erichk.zenfolio.com/
http://www.fototime.com/inv/7F3D846BCD301F3
underwater photos:
http://www.scubaboard.com/gallery/showgallery.php/cat/500/ppuser/5567

erichK's gear list:erichK's gear list
Olympus E-1 Olympus E-330 Olympus E-420 Olympus E-30 Olympus E-620 +22 more
jkrumm
Veteran MemberPosts: 8,232
Like?
Re: It's not the work ethic...
In reply to erichK, May 31, 2013

The reason they would ship them there is because the costs are so much lower. The costs are lower because there are less regulations, much lower wages, and weaker unions (though our unions are pretty weak these days). I suppose an argument could be made that it is better to truck them to Mexico than ship them to China, but the whole situation is disheartening.

-- hide signature --

John Krumm
Juneau, AK

mpeman
mpeman MOD
Senior MemberPosts: 1,855Gear list
Like?
Re: It's not the work ethic...
In reply to jkrumm, May 31, 2013

Would rather have my camera repaired by someone who know what they are doing and has no personality than the most dazzling, sparkling person without a technical clue.  Just saying.

-- hide signature --

Regards,
Kevin
--

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads