OM 40-150mm ED MSC focussing problem?

Started May 29, 2013 | Discussions
Steve Jamieson
Junior MemberPosts: 44
Like?
OM 40-150mm ED MSC focussing problem?
May 29, 2013

Does your copy of this lens change focus when zooming? Is that normal? Also I find the close focus distance to be longer at the short end of the zoom, probably about 1.5m compared to the 0.9m at 150mm. Steve.

JeanPierre Martel
Senior MemberPosts: 1,851Gear list
Like?
Re: OM 40-150mm ED MSC focussing problem?
In reply to Steve Jamieson, May 29, 2013

Steve Jamieson wrote:

Does your copy of this lens change focus when zooming?

Never. However, the settings chosen for my OM-D sets focus when the trigger button is pressed, half-pressed or when the back LCD screen is touched (to set focus or to take a picture).

JeanPierre Martel's gear list:JeanPierre Martel's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 R Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 12mm 1:2 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 60mm 1:2.8 Macro +19 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Gregm61
Forum ProPosts: 13,664Gear list
Like?

Steve Jamieson wrote:

Does your copy of this lens change focus when zooming? Is that normal?

If you focus the lens while set to (for example) 40mm, then zoom it somewhere else, you do have to refocus.

-- hide signature --

"There's shadows in life, baby.." Jack Horner- Boogie Nights

Gregm61's gear list:Gregm61's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Olympus E-M1 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 50mm 1:2.0 Macro Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 70-300mm 1:4.0-5.6 +10 more
s_grins
Veteran MemberPosts: 8,542Gear list
Like?

Are you talking about legacy OM zoom lens?

-- hide signature --

Looking for equilibrium...

s_grins's gear list:s_grins's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G Vario 45-200mm F4-5.6 OIS Sigma 30mm F2.8 EX DN +2 more
Palin0_0
Contributing MemberPosts: 607Gear list
Like?

The focus change a little bit.....not much...at least in my copy....about  how much chage the focus in the closest setting  i never check .......but i will  tonight and comment back......

regards

-- hide signature --

The Best Camera is the one that you have on your Hands.

Palin0_0's gear list:Palin0_0's gear list
Nikon D2Xs Olympus E-1 Olympus E-3 Olympus E-30 Olympus PEN E-PL2 +21 more
Steve Jamieson
Like?
In reply to Gregm61, May 29, 2013

Yes, focus at 15ft set to 40mm then zoom to 150 mm and the focus goes way out. Steve.

Gregm61
Forum ProPosts: 13,664Gear list
Like?
In reply to Steve Jamieson, May 30, 2013

Steve Jamieson wrote:

Yes, focus at 15ft set to 40mm then zoom to 150 mm and the focus goes way out. Steve.

Yep, all of these zooms do that. Even the 12-60 and 50-200 SWD zooms for the Olympus DSLR's I used before do that. Zoom is the generic term, but these really are all varifocal lenses. I have not owned a "true" zoom that held focus when zoomed while set to a specific distance for a long time. Pre-AF (prior to 1985) for sure. Last one I remember using was a Vivitar Series 1 90-180mm f4.5 Flat Field in Nikon F mount, a superb lens.

I'm sure they still exist in some line, but none of these micro zooms are.

-- hide signature --

"There's shadows in life, baby.." Jack Horner- Boogie Nights

Gregm61's gear list:Gregm61's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Olympus E-M1 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 50mm 1:2.0 Macro Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 70-300mm 1:4.0-5.6 +10 more
Steve Jamieson
Like?
In reply to Gregm61, May 31, 2013

Hi Greg, Thanks for the reply. Lens is working much better now. I should have added that I was making a repair to the lens, replacing a ribbon cable and the mounting ring after it had been dropped and broken. What I eventually found was that the ribbon cable was fouling the movement of the rear lens element (restricting its movement by only about 1mm) and that was causing the focussing issues. After tucking the ribbon out of the way the situation was much improved. Close focussing distance is as specified 0.9m at both ends of the zoom although there is still a slight focus change when zooming, nothing like as bad as it was though. Really happy with the repair, soldering was very tricky though and I can recommend Luton Cameras in the UK for the parts which only cost £15. Steve.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads