D800e with 24-70 on a vacation in London?

Started May 29, 2013 | Discussions
quadraticadder
Regular MemberPosts: 142Gear list
Like?
D800e with 24-70 on a vacation in London?
May 29, 2013

Hello all.  I'm going on a vacation to London this summer, and I'm worried about taking my D800e with 24-70 kit because of the chance that it will get stolen.  Am I too worried?  Should I leave it home and take a lesser kit (d90 with 24-200 VR, or gasp! a point and shooter?).  I'd leave it around my neck at all times if I took the d800e, and have it insured, but it will stick out like a massive temptation to pick pockets.  I've heard stories of thieves unlatching the lenses, etc.  Opinions?

Thanks,

Steve

quadraticadder's gear list:quadraticadder's gear list
Leica M Typ 240 Leica Summarit-M 50mm f/2.5
Nikon D800E
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
SimonGReid
New MemberPosts: 13
Like?
Re: D800e with 24-70 on a vacation in London?
In reply to quadraticadder, May 29, 2013

Speaking as a Londoner, I would say there's no need to be overly concerned about the safety of your gear.  I regularly carry my D600 slung over my shoulder and have never had any issues.  And in fact I've never even seen someone attempt to snatch a camera here.

As long as you're sensible I'd be amazed if you run into any kind of trouble.

Enjoy the trip!

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
msjhaffey
Senior MemberPosts: 1,334Gear list
Like?

I agree with the previous post.  I regularly go to London with my D800 or D700.  Never had a problem, even when I was once using it at 3am on a charity walk.

In fact, two years ago I accidentally left my D700 on a train (was running for a connection) and it was handed in.  I don't know where you live right now, but London is probably as safe.

-- hide signature --

Sean
www.seanhaffey.co.uk

msjhaffey's gear list:msjhaffey's gear list
Nikon D700 Nikon D800 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF Nikkor 85mm f/1.8D +1 more
Len_Gee
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,193Gear list
Like?

similar query and reply recently posted re: safety in London and whether to carry D800e kit.

http://www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/3493463

"UK: personnally got car jacked a few years ago in london and they litterally tried to kill me to get my keys, my wife got followed there while driving and taken hostage for hours to make sure she gives all her belongings, a friend got beaten to the pulp in the middle of the street just to take her ring. These are the ones that come to my mind immediately, but many other stories are available on request. France is bad, but at least I never really felt my life was in major danger there. In the UK, they stab you to steal your chewing-gums..."

Hoping you enjoy your stay in London, but stay ever vigilant?
 Len_Gee's gear list:Len_Gee's gear list
Canon EF 85mm f/1.2L II USM Canon EF 16-35mm f/2.8L II USM Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX1 Canon EF 50mm f/1.2L USM Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH +4 more
quadraticadder
Like?
In reply to Len_Gee, May 29, 2013

Thanks all for your responses.  Especially the folks with experience.  I'm going to take the D800e and lenses.  It would be a shame to leave it on the shelf at home.

Thanks again,

Steve

ric82
Regular MemberPosts: 323Gear list
Like?

Hello

What you can do anywhere is to mask Mark and number on the body with black scotch

And mask any mark on gear (yellow mark on neck strap)

that's minimal to go safe...

also you can change Nikon mark with Canon Mark, you wil get no problem anymore...

==> that's only joke !!    

ric82's gear list:ric82's gear list
Nikon D700 Nikon D800E Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II +3 more
quadraticadder
Like?
In reply to ric82, May 29, 2013

I'm going to black tape the markings.  I hadn't thought about writing Canon on them to deter theft, but it should work!  LOL!  Joking too!

Best,

Steve

avet4life
Regular MemberPosts: 171Gear list
Like?

quadraticadder wrote:

I'm going to black tape the markings.  I hadn't thought about writing Canon on them to deter theft, but it should work!  LOL!  Joking too!

Best,

Steve

I blacktape my nikon name, the d800e, only show the fx, sometime I blacktape that too.

KennyXL
Regular MemberPosts: 396Gear list
Like?
In reply to ric82, May 29, 2013

ric82 wrote:

Hello

What you can do anywhere is to mask Mark and number on the body with black scotch

And mask any mark on gear (yellow mark on neck strap)

that's minimal to go safe...

also you can change Nikon mark with Canon Mark, you wil get no problem anymore...

==> that's only joke !!    

I'm curious, why does masking the model and brand deter thieves?  Are they camera snobs who only steal certain makes and models?

KennyXL's gear list:KennyXL's gear list
Sony RX100 Nikon D800 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II Nikon AF-S Nikkor 28-300mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 85mm f/1.8G +3 more
Mark den Hartog
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,594
Like?
In reply to KennyXL, May 29, 2013

I'm curious, why does masking the model and brand deter thieves?  Are they camera snobs who only steal certain makes and models?

I also think this is quite a laugh. if they knick it, I am sure they have no idea what they're taking.

A. Westreich
Senior MemberPosts: 1,195Gear list
Like?
In reply to Mark den Hartog, May 29, 2013

Mark den Hartog wrote:

I also think this is quite a laugh. if they knick it, I am sure they have no idea what they're taking.

Thieves know the value of items just as much as we do .  . ..  The higher the value of the item, the more easily (and profitably) it can be fenced.  If you had your choice of grabbing a D3100 or a D8100E, which would you target?

I was similarly concerned about London when we visited a year or so ago.  We walked all over the city and I never felt uneasy.  Just use common sense - The other thing that you quickly realize is that there are D800's,, D600's, D4's, 5D's etc. all over.  It's not like you are the only one carrying a camera.

Lovely city, BTW.

A. Westreich's gear list:A. Westreich's gear list
Nikon D7100 Nikon AF Nikkor 35mm f/2D Nikon AF-S DX Micro Nikkor 40mm F2.8 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 80-400mm f/4.5-5.6G ED VR
vaxn8r
Regular MemberPosts: 405Gear list
Like?

If I were you  I would purchase personal property insurance. Don't ever use homeowner's because your annual premium will rise faster than the amount you were reimbursed. Personal property is fairly cheap and covers loss or accidental damage at repalcement values. Once you have this, you can travel the world and stop worrying about being robbed.

I prefer many smaller cards to one big card while travelling. If you do lose your camera at least you haven't lost all of your photos. The other option is to bring a hard drive and download images each and every day. but computers get stolen as often as cameras so I like sticking with multiple CF cards when I travel.

vaxn8r's gear list:vaxn8r's gear list
Canon PowerShot S95 Sony RX100 Nikon D700 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 16-35mm f/4G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.4G +7 more
johnanderson
Junior MemberPosts: 38
Like?

quadraticadder wrote:

Hello all.  I'm going on a vacation to London this summer, and I'm worried about taking my D800e with 24-70 kit because of the chance that it will get stolen.  Am I too worried?  Should I leave it home and take a lesser kit (d90 with 24-200 VR, or gasp! a point and shooter?).  I'd leave it around my neck at all times if I took the d800e, and have it insured, but it will stick out like a massive temptation to pick pockets.  I've heard stories of thieves unlatching the lenses, etc.  Opinions?

Thanks,

Steve

Steve, take the full kit, what is the point in owning such great tools if they sit in your house!

Johnhk
Regular MemberPosts: 211
Like?

I have walked all over the interesting sites (Southbank from Westminster bridge along the Thames & some back alleys to Tower bridge is a recommended walk) for many years, and I think you will be surprised at all the expensive equipment being carried by people all around you. I've never seen anyone mugged or assaulted, although it does obviously happen at times.  Don't get too uptight about the horror stories you hear, afterall one hears of many shootings in the States but most people go about their business having never witnessed an incident in their life. Go and enjoy a wonderful vacation with your best gear. Regards,

sjprintz
Regular MemberPosts: 382Gear list
Like?
In reply to johnanderson, May 29, 2013

Yes take your D800e just be careful. London is a great city, with tons of things to photograph.

To be safe, however, I would take a good walk around lens such as the 24-70 and minimize changing lenses as that's when you will be most distracted.  Also, don't ever leave the camera bag laying next to you w/o a strap being affixed to you.

Finally don't use a backpack unless you use something like the Lowepro Photo Hatchback 22L AW Backpack, which opens on the inside (touching your back).  Any other type of backpack can be opened by someone walking behind you.

Good luck and have fun.

SJP

sjprintz's gear list:sjprintz's gear list
Nikon D800E Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 16-35mm f/4G ED VR Nikon AF Nikkor 85mm f/1.4D Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-120mm f/4G ED VR +1 more
quadraticadder
Like?
In reply to vaxn8r, May 29, 2013

That's a *really* good idea.

Thanks!

Steve

quadraticadder
Like?
In reply to Johnhk, May 29, 2013

Thanks!  I will take the full kit.  And the idea of taking more small cards instead of one big one that someone mentioned above is wise.

Best,

Steve

OldDigiman
Senior MemberPosts: 1,935Gear list
Like?
Re: How strong are you?

My concern would actually be that what you have is a pretty heavy rig (I have it so I know) to be lugging around all day.  When I go on vacation, I just pack the RX100, or if I want to be more "serious" about the photography, the OM-D with a zoom.  If you aren't printing over 13x19, you won't see the difference between m4/3 and the D800e, maybe not even between the RX100 and the D800e (I've done the first comparison, haven't done the second).  Just food for thought.....

-- hide signature --

coronawithlime
Senior MemberPosts: 1,934Gear list
Like?
In reply to A. Westreich, May 29, 2013

If you had your choice of grabbing a D3100 or a D8100E, which would you target?

The one easiest and safest to steal, just like most thieves

I have enjoyed travel all over England on many occasions and never had a problem, although it's just like any other big city.  I did no one occasion have a National Rail employee suggest I carry it in the case on the train rather than visible.

Behave prudently and you shouldn't have any problems.  I understand that the tourist death rate is unusually low this month

-- hide signature --

One day long ago, a sorcerer and a warrior did battle, as such things were commonplace in that age. Sometimes the sorcerer won, and the sum value of human abilities was improved some trifling amount. Sometimes the warrior won, and again the human race improved by some insignificant amount, for a sorcerer who can't defeat one miserable warrior is a poor sorcerer indeed.

Mach Schnell
Senior MemberPosts: 2,444Gear list
Like?
1 word: Insurance n/t
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads