how to clean a circular polarizer filter

Started May 28, 2013 | Discussions
joemama10
Forum MemberPosts: 60Gear list
Like?
how to clean a circular polarizer filter
May 28, 2013

I tried to clean a smudge on a Marumi 67mm CP that I took on vacation. I ran some water on filter and dried it with cotton cloth after tried to dry with lens cloth paper. but it appears still smudged or not completey clear. is it possible that i got some water in between rotoating filters? is it the coating that appears not clean or clear? what is best way to clean? Thanks

joemama10's gear list:joemama10's gear list
Nikon D300 Nikon D5200 Nikon D7100 Nikon D610 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 16-85mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR +9 more
draacor
Contributing MemberPosts: 992Gear list
Like?
Re: how to clean a circular polarizer filter
In reply to joemama10, May 28, 2013

i have the 77mm marumi cp filter and all i use is a lens wipe and then a microfiber cloth to dry it some more works great.  I use any lens wipe you would use for glasses.

-- hide signature --

D7000
50mm 1.8D
18-105mm
55-200mm
10-24mm
http://www.flickr.com/photos/finalimpact

draacor's gear list:draacor's gear list
Nikon D800 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.4G Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G VR Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 105mm f/2.8G IF-ED VR
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Tom B.
Contributing MemberPosts: 731Gear list
Like?

joemama10 wrote:

is it possible that i got some water in between rotoating filters?

I thought the same thing a few years ago but I was proven wrong. There is only one piece of glass not two. Do a test with a piece of tape on each side and rotate it.

-- hide signature --

Tom

Tom B.'s gear list:Tom B.'s gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX7 Nikon D7100 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Nikon AF DX Fisheye-Nikkor 10.5mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 17-55mm f/2.8G ED-IF +11 more
Paul Atkin
Forum MemberPosts: 92
Like?

if I say - 'spit on it and rub it with an available cloth' - will you be offended? well, you get probably some oily residue from fat or other substance, so, to wash optical glass properly is a one thing, to get a lens of filter reasonably clean is the other thing.

look up at any solutions that people use to clean up regular glasses. it is usually good enough for filters. if you need to clean up an actual lens that got seriously dirty it may be trickier.

David Lal
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,837
Like?
Eclipse + Pec Pads (n/t)

David

joemama10
Like?
Re: Eclipse + Pec Pads (n/t)
In reply to David Lal, May 28, 2013

Thanks guys. I actually just tried Monster LCD screen & camera lens cleaner with a microfiber cloth. Came pretty clean. Looks a lot better than before. I was worried I damaged the coating on lens.

Nikon D300 Nikon D5200 Nikon D7100 Nikon D610 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 16-85mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR +9 more
k2guy
Regular MemberPosts: 436Gear list
Like?
Do Not Use Eclipse & Pec Pads

Use ROR cleaner and a micro-cloth.  The chemicals in Eclipse might affect the coatings on filters.  Spray ROR on a micro-cloth, clean in a circular motion and wipe dry with a second, clean micro-cloth.  ROR is made specifically for cleaning smudges off of lenses and filters, hence the name ROR (Residual Oil Remover).  It might seem expensive, but a little goes a long way.  Besides, why take a chance of ruining a delicate coating on a filter or lens.  Here's a link....

http://www.samys.com/p/Cleaning-Solution/VVROR2/ROR-Residual-Oil-Remover-Lens-Cleaner-2-oz.-Pump/13510.html

k2guy's gear list:k2guy's gear list
Canon PowerShot A580 Nikon Coolpix P7100 Nikon D600 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II +18 more
David Lal
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,837
Like?
Balderdash!
In reply to k2guy, May 29, 2013

k2guy wrote:

Use ROR cleaner and a micro-cloth.  The chemicals in Eclipse might affect the coatings on filters.  Spray ROR on a micro-cloth, clean in a circular motion and wipe dry with a second, clean micro-cloth.  ROR is made specifically for cleaning smudges off of lenses and filters, hence the name ROR (Residual Oil Remover).  It might seem expensive, but a little goes a long way.  Besides, why take a chance of ruining a delicate coating on a filter or lens.  Here's a link....

Eclipse is specifically made for cleaning lenses and filters. In 20 years it has done no harm to any of my kit. I would not hesitate to use it even on my GBP£ 1000 Nik 300/F4.

See: http://photosol.com/product/eclipse-2-oz-bottle/

Doss
Senior MemberPosts: 1,686
Like?
Re: Balderdash!
In reply to David Lal, May 29, 2013

David Lal wrote:

k2guy wrote:

Eclipse is specifically made for cleaning lenses and filters. In 20 years it has done no harm to any of my kit. I would not hesitate to use it even on my GBP£ 1000 Nik 300/F4.

See: http://photosol.com/product/eclipse-2-oz-bottle/

Well put - Fed up of people disguising bs for knowledge.

They should ban words like 'might' 'maybe' and 'perhaps' in these gear forums.

bflood
Contributing MemberPosts: 581
Like?
In reply to joemama10, May 29, 2013

What ever you do, don't use the common isopropyl alcohol usually available inexpensively in pharmacy departments. It's only 70% alcohol and the other 30% will leave a hazy residue. If you must use alcohol, go to a full-time pharmacy and ask the pharmacist for pharmaceutical grade isopropyl. If not available, try to find a local chemical supply company and ask them for reagent grade isopropyl. Both are 99+% alcohol, and they won't leave a residue.  Both are very good at cleaning, and the recommendation to use the lens cloths is a good one.

My experience with isopropyl began with cleaning optical components of laboratory instruments, and the only caution I recommend (strongly) is to confine the use to filters and to not use it on lenses. Alcohol is much thinner than water and will get into the smallest of spaces like around the edges of lens elements, thus allowing the alcohol into the interior of a lens. I don't know of anyone who has experience trouble from this, but I see no reason to risk it.  But it works fine on my filters if (and only if) I have to use a cleaning solvent to get something off the filter.

joemama10
Like?
In reply to bflood, May 29, 2013

Thanks. I used Monster LCD and lens cleaner with a microfiber cloth. It doesn't have alcohol.The CP filter came clean.  I appreciate the help.

k2guy
Regular MemberPosts: 436Gear list
Like?
I retract my statement
In reply to David Lal, May 31, 2013

I apologize, I was thinking of PEC-12 fluid which can possibly do harm to coatings.  Regular Eclipse lens cleaning fluid is OK.  I don't know what I was thinking.  Again, I apologize.

k2guy's gear list:k2guy's gear list
Canon PowerShot A580 Nikon Coolpix P7100 Nikon D600 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II +18 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads