Another RX100 Sensor Dust example

Started May 27, 2013 | Discussions
rbredow
New MemberPosts: 8
Like?
Another RX100 Sensor Dust example
May 27, 2013

I really love shooting with the RX100 and have had it for about 10 months. It's nearly replaced my Canon DSLR for most usage--which exceeded my expectations. I just reviewed many of the other sensor dust threads for advice, but hadn't seen a example quite like mine yet.

Today, I was out fishing and took this snapshot. Obviously I missed the focus but this was F11 and I count more than 20 dust specs:

20+ dust bunnies on the sensor after 10 months of moderate use

Here is a shot of a white backing at F11, contrast adjusted (obviously):

F11, contrast adjusted to see more of the dust

With wide open aperture, they disappear.

I'm going to follow the tutorial's I've seen online here, brave the vacuum first and then see if I need to send it into Sony for repair. I believe mine was one of the earlier models (Made in Japan).

I just reviewed my 10 months worth of shots it's only in the last few months that I can see the dust in "regular" shots so it appears to be getting worse over time. I do that other commenters have noted "invites" dust like this include using the camera in a fairly wide range of environments (some dusty) and only sometimes put it in a protective bag before putting it in my pocket (I use a microfiber sunglass bag that works quite well, but I've not always used it).

I'll plan to update this thread with my findings. I welcome any input.

Rob

salla30
Senior MemberPosts: 2,442Gear list
Like?
avoiding high f's for this reason, but... what about video?
In reply to rbredow, May 27, 2013

I am in denial. I don't see no spots on my sensor. No! they're not there.

I can avoid higher f-numbers mostly but for video, it favours highest f possible unless you use the video mode, but then you have to set exposure manually using S and A which then makes for jerky transissions.

Is there a way of setting A mode for Video?

ps... my spots a minor, but am looking for a window to send it back for cleaning

salla30's gear list:salla30's gear list
Sony RX100 Sony RX1 Sony RX100 II Sony Alpha NEX-5N Sony E 35mm F1.8 OSS
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
elliottnewcomb
Senior MemberPosts: 6,567Gear list
Like?
Re: Another RX100 Sensor Dust example
In reply to rbredow, May 27, 2013

10 months, your warranty nearly up, I would run to a Sony repair center!!!!

-- hide signature --

Elliott

elliottnewcomb's gear list:elliottnewcomb's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-S85 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-R1 Sony RX100 Olympus Stylus 1
Michael's Photos
Regular MemberPosts: 223
Like?
Re: Another RX100 Sensor Dust example
In reply to elliottnewcomb, May 28, 2013

I'm on my second RX100 (the first one had lens closing problems). There are so many glitches in these threads involving this camera, I just keep reading about problems. Not nearly as much as Olympus, Panasonic. Is it because the camera is so complex?  I've had this new one for a month, so far no problems. But if anything else comes up, it's going right into the dust bin (no pun intended!)

rbredow
Like?
Re: Another RX100 Sensor Dust example [UPDATE #1]
In reply to rbredow, May 28, 2013

I tried the vacuum option today with a water bottle as an adapter as detailed in this thread:

Before

After

The dust moved, but if anything is slightly worse after attempting this fix. Next step, off to Sony.

Rob

DWMurf
Senior MemberPosts: 1,027Gear list
Like?
Re: Another RX100 Sensor Dust example [UPDATE #1]
In reply to rbredow, May 28, 2013

Best of luck with it. I had a problem with my HX30V which was solved by Amazon sending me a replacement with a prepaid mailer to send in the defective camera.

My UFO picture (for "unidentified floating object" I suppose) was posted at that time:

-- hide signature --

David

DWMurf's gear list:DWMurf's gear list
Corel PaintShop Pro X4 Utltimate Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX30V Sony Alpha NEX-3N Sony E 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 PZ OSS Rokinon 8mm f/2.8 UMC Aspherical Fisheye +17 more
rbredow
Like?
RX100 Sensor Dust in repair [Update #2]
In reply to rbredow, Jun 9, 2013

Several people have asked in various threads whether Sony's repair process for a dusty RX100 is a cleaning or replacing parts. Mine is in for repair now and I've learned a couple of things:

1. The technician on the phone indicated that since this camera doesn't have an interchangeable lens, it should not normally get dust on the sensor. Any dust is covered under warranty (unlike an interchangeable lens camera which does not usually cover cleaning). That made me wonder if it is indeed a sealed part of the camera, and dust is a defect from manufacturing. I have an early model version made in Japan.

2. Two days into the repair process, the status of my repair changed to "waiting on backordered part". So, at least in my case, they are swapping out parts in Texas rather than just cleaning it like I would have thought.

Since I was near the end of my 1 year warranty, I decided to spend a bit to extend mine to 4 years in case this problem returns. Here's hoping the parts aren't on backorder long for me!

Rob

paj2000uk
New MemberPosts: 17Gear list
Like?
Re: RX100 Sensor Dust in repair [Update #2]
In reply to rbredow, Jun 9, 2013

I don't have any problem with dust (yet!), but I can say something about Sony warranty repairs.

I live in UK and sent my 3 month old RX100 for repair.  I sent the camera using the Freepost address they gave me on 30 May.  They kept me informed of progress and the camera was delivered back to me on the 8 June.  Excellent courteous service and turn round in only 9 days.

If I found dust, and the camera was still in warranty, I would not hesitate to send it in for repair.

paj2000uk's gear list:paj2000uk's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5
rbredow
Like?
RX100 Sensor Dust [FIXED!]
In reply to rbredow, Jun 21, 2013

Sony repair has fixed it right up:

No sensor dust even at F11. Surprising how happy that simple picture makes me.

From the paperwork they sent with the return, they replaced both the image sensor and the lens (!). I got the extended warranty right before the 11 month cutoff when this first showed up so if I encounter it again I'll be covered for another 3 years.

Very happy to have the camera back in new condition and other than missing my camera for a couple weeks the repair was no big deal.

Rob

superstar905
Senior MemberPosts: 1,370Gear list
Like?
Re: RX100 Sensor Dust [FIXED!]
In reply to rbredow, Jun 21, 2013

This response from Sony is reassuring especially given the significant cost of the product.

dood77
Forum MemberPosts: 94
Like?
In reply to superstar905, Jun 21, 2013

Hey thanks for sharing.

Based on my research, this seems to be an issue just with the initial cameras that were made in Japan, not with the later ones made in China. Is this a known fact?

Michael's Photos
Regular MemberPosts: 223
Like?
In reply to dood77, Jun 22, 2013

I've had an RX100 for a few months, no dust - yet. I do have one of those 52mm rings on the lens front to accept a screw-in lens hood when needed, and keep a 54mm push-on lens cap over it whenever it's not in my belt case. So maybe these measures are keeping dust out. Glad you got it fixed, but my concern is:  what caused it in the first place? Without knowing that, it's possible it'll just happen again in less than a year....?...seems to me that Olympus, Panasonic, Fuji don't seem to have nearly the threads about this problem. Is this a Sony thing, or are all zooms plagued with this?

elliottnewcomb
Like?
In reply to Michael's Photos, Jun 22, 2013

Michael's Photos wrote:

I've had an RX100 for a few months, no dust - yet. I do have one of those 52mm rings on the lens front to accept a screw-in lens hood when needed, and keep a 54mm push-on lens cap over it whenever it's not in my belt case. So maybe these measures are keeping dust out. Glad you got it fixed, but my concern is: what caused it in the first place? Without knowing that, it's possible it'll just happen again in less than a year....?...seems to me that Olympus, Panasonic, Fuji don't seem to have nearly the threads about this problem. Is this a Sony thing, or are all zooms plagued with this?

I have come to believe many cameras come with dust inside the body that does not show up during factory inspections, but moves later inside the camera and gets in the area to be involved with the image. Which means, it can happen anytime, in or out of warranty, no matter how careful.

The magfilter with a uv filter is a good way to protect the lens itself, but it does nothing to prevent dust getting down the collapsing lens barrel if that is part of what is happening.

If the yes Japan/No China suspicion is true, perhaps the people with Japanese versions would be smart to get extended warranties.

How do you know point of origin?

Elliott

dood77
Forum MemberPosts: 94
Like?
In reply to elliottnewcomb, Jun 22, 2013

Michael's Photos wrote:

I've had an RX100 for a few months, no dust - yet. I do have one of those 52mm rings on the lens front to accept a screw-in lens hood when needed, and keep a 54mm push-on lens cap over it whenever it's not in my belt case. So maybe these measures are keeping dust out. Glad you got it fixed, but my concern is: what caused it in the first place? Without knowing that, it's possible it'll just happen again in less than a year....?...seems to me that Olympus, Panasonic, Fuji don't seem to have nearly the threads about this problem. Is this a Sony thing, or are all zooms plagued with this?

I have come to believe many cameras come with dust inside the body that does not show up during factory inspections, but moves later inside the camera and gets in the area to be involved with the image. Which means, it can happen anytime, in or out of warranty, no matter how careful.

The magfilter with a uv filter is a good way to protect the lens itself, but it does nothing to prevent dust getting down the collapsing lens barrel if that is part of what is happening.

If the yes Japan/No China suspicion is true, perhaps the people with Japanese versions would be smart to get extended warranties.

How do you know point of origin?

Elliott

Mine says "Made in China" on the bottom.

elliottnewcomb
Like?

thanks, my name sticker was covering it up, I have Japan, happy I got 2 year warranty with accidental coverage when they threw it in for a brief while.

I have been encouraging others to purchase longer coverage. If from Sony, you need to buy it within the first 11 months of ownership.

In addition to problems that have been talked about, these are miniature mobile gizmos, slippery, and new and unproven. That's my reasoning.

-- hide signature --

Elliott

lenshoarder
Contributing MemberPosts: 601
Like?

This thread inspired me to check mine.  The outside of my RX100 has been well doused in lint.  Linty pockets afterall.  The sensor though seems to be as clean as a whistle.  Nothing at all.  I have a MiC.  Wouldn't it be ironic if the MiJ did have the dust problem and the MiCs don't.  There have been so many threads with people repeatedly sending back MiC RX100s until they got a MiJ due to the perception of better quality.

Robert Garcia NYC
Senior MemberPosts: 1,027Gear list
Like?
In reply to lenshoarder, Jun 22, 2013

this thread inspired me to look at his photo shot by an RX100

http://www.flickr.com/photos/65072883@N04/9098483653/in/pool-rx100/

elliottnewcomb
Like?
In reply to lenshoarder, Jun 23, 2013

lenshoarder wrote:

This thread inspired me to check mine. The outside of my RX100 has been well doused in lint. Linty pockets afterall. The sensor though seems to be as clean as a whistle. Nothing at all. I have a MiC. Wouldn't it be ironic if the MiJ did have the dust problem and the MiCs don't. There have been so many threads with people repeatedly sending back MiC RX100s until they got a MiJ due to the perception of better quality.

Absolutely Ironic. Don't want anyone to have this problem, including Sony to have to deal with it, but, part of me wants the MIC to be defect free to erode prejudice. All it might be is one worker who works a shift in an asbestos factory before coming to work assembling lenses. (insert smiley here) In any case, shake the lint out of your pockets.

Elliott

nofumble
Senior MemberPosts: 1,237
Like?
Nikon D600 had similar problem on initial batch
In reply to rbredow, Jun 23, 2013

It caused by some type of internal residue

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/nikon-d600/12

elliottnewcomb
Like?
Re: Nikon D600 had similar problem on initial batch
In reply to nofumble, Jun 23, 2013

nofumble wrote:

It caused by some type of internal residue

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/nikon-d600/12

Did DPR update the review with any more info as promised?

-- hide signature --

Elliott

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads