Beautiful Colorado with Canon 6D

Started May 26, 2013 | Photos
kpeterk
Regular MemberPosts: 101
Like?
Beautiful Colorado with Canon 6D
May 26, 2013

I received my 6D the day before I flew out to Colorado. Nothing like jumping in and learning the camera on the go. Had fun shooting with it and still have lots to learn. Enjoy!

Campsite outside of Ouray

Hiking outside of Ouray

Carbondale area

Carbondale area

Hiking above Estes Park

Gunnison north rim

Great Sand Dunes National Park area

Comment & critique:
Please provide me constructive critique and criticism.
Canon EOS 6D
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Robert Deutsch
Forum ProPosts: 10,043Gear list
Like?
Re: Beautiful Colorado with Canon 6D
In reply to kpeterk, May 26, 2013

"Beautiful" is the right word!

Bob

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Jason Rickerby
Contributing MemberPosts: 712
Like?
You have some nice shots there - Er, wrong forum? :-)
In reply to kpeterk, May 27, 2013

I might play with the white balance and saturation on a couple of them, but otherwise, very nice.

kpeterk
Like?
Re: You have some nice shots there - Er, wrong forum? :-)
In reply to Jason Rickerby, May 27, 2013

Yeah, I know. Should have been posted in the landscape forum. I don't see anyway to move it though. Can it be moved? Both my laptop and desktop monitors look different. It's sometimes hard to judge the saturation and WB. Probably need to invest in some kind of monitor calibration tool.

Jason Rickerby
Contributing MemberPosts: 712
Like?
Er, wrong forum? :-) <--- note the smiley face - I was joking

I was pulling your leg about the forum. Most the the threads here are gear related, so having pictures posted makes for a nice change.

I find that when I'm editing images, the adjustments I'm making near the end of a session are more pleasing than when I start. I suspect it's a "getting into the groove" thing. I realize trying to spice up shots of trees and rocks under an overcast sky is difficult.

kpeterk
Like?
Re: Er, wrong forum? :-) <--- note the smiley face - I was joking
In reply to Jason Rickerby, May 27, 2013

Ok, well, thanks for the comments! Still learning the camera and Lightroom. I almost headed out with a D600 but after 100 shots and oil/dust issues, I sent the camera back and bought the 6D the day before I left. Also purchsed with the Sigma 35mm and Canon 17-40L. I found myself using the 17-40 more often though.

My plan was to head out to the desert of Utah and experiment with some star photos. Didn't get there but still played around with the low light capabilities in Rocky Mountain NP. I need to experiment more. This is the best I could do on a night walk. This was a 23 second exposure @ ISO 200. However, the camera seems to have a very low amount of noise. Will do some more research as I don't know all the tricks for night photography.

cpkuntz
Contributing MemberPosts: 613Gear list
Like?

These are beautiful.  I love the shot of the road.  May I inquire as to what lens was used?
Congratulations on making great pictures!

cpkuntz's gear list:cpkuntz's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Canon EOS 5D Mark III Nikon D810 Canon EF 35mm f/1.4L USM Canon EF 50mm f/1.2L USM +8 more
kpeterk
Like?
In reply to cpkuntz, May 27, 2013

Hi there! Yes, the shot on the road was taken with the Sigma 35mm 1.4 w/ polarizing filter. Seems to be a nice lens so far. Time will tell. Glad you like them!

biza43
Senior MemberPosts: 2,041Gear list
Like?

Some nice photos.

-- hide signature --

www.paulobizarro.com

biza43's gear list:biza43's gear list
Olympus E-M1 Panasonic Leica Summilux DG 25mm F1.4 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 75mm 1:1.8 Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 +1 more
billythek
Senior MemberPosts: 3,786
Like?

Nice pics.  Looks like we were close to the same places recently.

When I was younger, I made the mistake of hiking down a draw to the river from the North Rim of the Black Canyon of the Gunnison. Coming back up was much harder, since it was loose slate which would slide back a half step for each step up I took.  Plus, I drank all my water on the way down.

Not too bright, but I did survive it, barely.  So, your picture brought back some memories.

-- hide signature --

- Bill

Radar
New MemberPosts: 11
Like?
In reply to kpeterk, May 29, 2013

Wonderful photos...I've lived in Grand Junction for 35 years now and I'm always discovering new places to explore and photograph. The Colorado National Monument is one of my favorites...thanks so much for sharing!

P.S. If you're in GJ let's have a cup of coffee together and share Canon 6D stories

Leon Wittwer
Forum ProPosts: 12,808
Like?
In reply to kpeterk, May 29, 2013

Nice shots.  Too bad some tourist got in the way of your shot of the Painted Wall in the Black Canyon of the Gunnison National Park.  

kpeterk
Like?
In reply to Radar, May 30, 2013

Sounds good! I love coffee and and travelling and I'm not sure which I like more. Visited the National Monument last year. Went on an early morning hike and it was probably the quietest place I've ever been. I literally heard no sounds other than my footsteps. Very different - yet very cool.

kpeterk
Like?
In reply to Leon Wittwer, May 30, 2013

Yeah, I was experimenting with my wireless remote and was kind of nervous on the edge of that rock. It was a LONG way down!

It's kind of funny but I often find cerrtain tourists annoying - even when I am one. I just try not to act like one and stay away from crowds. Like people grabbing their cameras and jumping out of their car trying to get close to a grizzly or a moose in Yellowstone. Also, nothing like taking pictures of something and seeing 10 other people taking similar pictures.  

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads