How to image the moon with D7100??

Started May 25, 2013 | Questions
starman1969
Senior MemberPosts: 2,247Gear list
Like?
How to image the moon with D7100??
May 25, 2013

I do know how to take pictures of the moon and I have many. I know all about stacking, tracking etc. I did post a question in the astrophotography forum but there are so few viewers there.

The problem I have just run into is my D7100 Live View feature. When I was out last night trying to image the moon with it all I got on the LCD screen was a totally overexposed white blob. It did not matter if I lowered the ISO, increased the shutter speed or stopped the aperture down as much as I could. The moon was still a featureless blob.

This meant that I could not focus on it properly. I did not have that problem with the D7000. Does anybody have any ideas what's going on?

-- hide signature --

They are watching us......

starman1969's gear list:starman1969's gear list
Nikon D800E Nikon D600 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 10-24mm f/3-5-4.5G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED +6 more
ANSWER:
Nikon D7000 Nikon D7100
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Placation101
Regular MemberPosts: 454
Like?
Re: How to image the moon with D7100??
In reply to starman1969, May 25, 2013

starman1969 wrote:

I do know how to take pictures of the moon and I have many. I know all about stacking, tracking etc. I did post a question in the astrophotography forum but there are so few viewers there.

The problem I have just run into is my D7100 Live View feature. When I was out last night trying to image the moon with it all I got on the LCD screen was a totally overexposed white blob. It did not matter if I lowered the ISO, increased the shutter speed or stopped the aperture down as much as I could. The moon was still a featureless blob.

This meant that I could not focus on it properly. I did not have that problem with the D7000. Does anybody have any ideas what's going on?

-- hide signature --

okay so basically, just so we are on the same page. In matrix metering a picture of the moon will always be a white blob as the camera sees it. This is because it is shooting to average out the scene so it will bring up the exposure compensating for the black sky bringing it up too high for the moon (which is a tiny portion of the sky unless you have a huge lens).

the d7100 I believe is auto gain on the LCD meaning its not wysiwyg it chooses a brightness that allows you to focus. So somehow it's not keying in on the moon.

i would try playing with center or spot metering.

if you didn't zoom in try zooming in on the LCD so the moon fills a larger portion of the screen.

selected answer This post was selected as the answer by the original poster.
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
FujicaST605
Regular MemberPosts: 356Gear list
Like?
In reply to starman1969, May 25, 2013

The moon is a sunlit object.  Expose as such.

FujicaST605's gear list:FujicaST605's gear list
Nikon D7100 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D Tokina AT-X Pro 12-24mm f/4 DX II Tamron SP AF 17-50mm F/2.8 XR Di II LD Aspherical (IF) +1 more
starman1969
Senior MemberPosts: 2,247Gear list
Like?
In reply to Placation101, May 26, 2013

Placation101 wrote:

starman1969 wrote:

-- hide signature --

okay so basically, just so we are on the same page. In matrix metering a picture of the moon will always be a white blob as the camera sees it. This is because it is shooting to average out the scene so it will bring up the exposure compensating for the black sky bringing it up too high for the moon (which is a tiny portion of the sky unless you have a huge lens).

the d7100 I believe is auto gain on the LCD meaning its not wysiwyg it chooses a brightness that allows you to focus. So somehow it's not keying in on the moon.

i would try playing with center or spot metering.

if you didn't zoom in try zooming in on the LCD so the moon fills a larger portion of the screen.

That makes sense, thanks. I will try spot metering. That way the metering point will be completely covered by the moon. It should show up correctly then.

I can do a pic like this when everything works.

-- hide signature --

starman1969's gear list:starman1969's gear list
Nikon D800E Nikon D600 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 10-24mm f/3-5-4.5G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED +6 more
JeffryZ
Senior MemberPosts: 1,951
Like?
In reply to FujicaST605, May 27, 2013

FujicaST605 wrote:

The moon is a sunlit object.  Expose as such.

I use manual. Set the exposure to the inverse of the ISO (1/100 th second for ISO 100)) and use the f/stop for a brightly sunlit object (f/ 16) and you will be extremely close if not right on.

Major crop and Photoshop adjustents to help the details but this was shot with my 80- 200mm f/2.8.  Never thought I could get this detail with a moon shot taken with a 200mm lens.

-- hide signature --
zakkix
Regular MemberPosts: 375
Like?
In reply to starman1969, May 27, 2013

starman1969 wrote:

-- hide signature --

https://blog.sony.com/2012/07/how-to-shoot-the-moon-and-get-stellar-photos/

http://www.astropix.com/BGDA/INTRO.HTM

http://www.reddit.com/r/astrophotography

lorenzo de medici
Regular MemberPosts: 171Gear list
Like?

The live view mode does some strange stuff with aperture adjustments and exposure compensation.  The picture you see on the LCD screen does not necessarily correspond to the image produced by the camera.  It's some kind of simulation of what the camera thinks it will probably look like.  If you change the aperture, you have to exit live view and resume to see the result of the aperture change.  I would make sure that auto ISO is turned off, use spot focus and spot metering, and bracket your exposures anticipating that you'll get the best results around -2EV or -3EV.

Sammy Yousef
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,407Gear list
Like?
Stop down before entering live view, or use ND filter.

Nikon cameras can't adjust the aperture while in live view. They will adjust the aperture to shoot (when the live-view screen blinks off) but you'll have to set aperture before going into live view. And as for shutter speed for video, you get what you're given.

If you're using AF just focus on the rim of the moon and adjust exposure manually.

If you're trying to shoot video of the moon, you'll have to stop right down before going into live view and as I haven't tried it I can't promise you that will work either.

A perfectly valid alternative is to use an ND filter on the camera. I'd probably use a variable ND filter for this application because brightness of the moon will vary.

-- hide signature --

Sammy.
My forum postings reflect my own opinions and not those of my employer. I'm not employed in the photo business.

stevenjames
Contributing MemberPosts: 868Gear list
Like?
In reply to starman1969, May 28, 2013

Use your histogram.

Switch to manual exposure settings and cut down on the exposure until you nail it.

Steve

-- hide signature --

www.StevenJamesPhotography.com

stevenjames's gear list:stevenjames's gear list
Fujifilm X100S Nikon D7100 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 17-55mm f/2.8G ED-IF Nikon AF-S DX Micro-Nikkor 85mm f/3.5G ED VR +8 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads