Started May 24, 2013 | Discussions
tbcass
Forum ProPosts: 17,477Gear list
Like?
Re: What about resolution?
In reply to mariadc, May 27, 2013

mariadc wrote:

tbcass wrote:

The 40D is only 10mp while the 5D MK III is 22 mp. Compare full size images from each camera and you will see the MK III has much more detail.

-- hide signature --

I agree.  I was thinking of downgrading to 50D to save money.  I took shots and compared them to my 6D.  The detail is completely missing.  I don't know how the OP got the results he did, but in my own real-life tests, I see a huge difference.  And believe me, I wanted to save money.  But I just can't bring myself to go back after seeing what a hit in detail I would take, even cropping in more with a 6D.

People often make the same mistake when comparing noise and claiming that greater pixel density adds noise. It does not. The amount of noise is dependent on the total light gathered by the sensor so all things being equal as far as sensor technology a larger sensor will have less noise than a smaller sensor regardless of pixel density. What does happen is the sensor with greater density has greater resolution which results in greater image size when viewed on screen at 100%. It's this greater "magnification" which makes noise more visible.

-- hide signature --
 tbcass's gear list:tbcass's gear list
Sony RX100 Sony SLT-A77 Tamron SP AF 90mm F/2.8 Di Macro Sony DT 35mm F1.8 SAM Tamron SP 70-300mm F/4-5.6 Di USD +6 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Dave Luttmann
Forum ProPosts: 12,536Gear list
Like?
Re: An amazing guess!
In reply to Great Bustard, May 28, 2013

Great Bustard wrote:

Apewithacamera wrote:

5D 3 top and my gut feeling is that the bottom photo was taken with a Canon 40D

Pray tell, however did you come to that remarkable conclusion? 

LMAO

Dave Luttmann's gear list:Dave Luttmann's gear list
Canon PowerShot G3 Canon PowerShot SX150 IS Canon EOS D30 Canon EOS 10D Nikon D2X +15 more
qianp2k
Senior MemberPosts: 9,764Gear list
Like?
Re: An amazing guess!
In reply to Great Bustard, May 28, 2013

Great Bustard wrote:

Apewithacamera wrote:

5D 3 top and my gut feeling is that the bottom photo was taken with a Canon 40D

Pray tell, however did you come to that remarkable conclusion? 

It's a guess game so we can guess in whatever way based on whatever belief. Someone can deliberately to make a G15 photo looks better than D800 or 6D/5D3 if you really believe that has any meaningful consequence that you will sell your 6D to get a G15 instead.  It's only meaningful that most users will have better photos from G15 or 40D in this case over D800 or 5D3/6D.

-- hide signature --
 qianp2k's gear list:qianp2k's gear list
Sony RX100 Canon EOS-1D Mark III Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 5D Mark III Sony Alpha 7R +20 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads