can you tell the IQ/ISO difference game: canon5dmk3 vs D800e at iso 6400

Started May 24, 2013 | Discussions
Wei Kelun
Regular MemberPosts: 495
Like?
Re: REVEAL TIME (big surprise!)
In reply to clarkent1234, May 25, 2013

clarkent1234 wrote:

first one is Canon 5d mark III - 50L 2.8 iso6400..NR/sharpening etc off - both cameras identical in settings

second is: ..............wait for it................................CANON 40D......YES CANON 40D - 35L 2.8 iso1600 (its max!!!) shot at 1600 pushed 2 stops in PP. I am sure most are familiar with ISO pushing technic, so i wont get into that.

NoiseNinja was used at the exact same settings on both. and USM equally the same on CS6.

40D Raw looked a bit more grainy after being pushed 2 full stops in PP. But after Ninja on same setting used on 5dmk3, things looked about identical. Strange but true. Framing was about the same due to crop factor.

2006-7 mid-consumer-whatever-u want to call it- camera replaced by several generations...payed $200 used with high shutter count VS new $3500 full frame camera. Shot at 2.8 since my 35/50 is identical at 2.8!

I've shot weddings with a 40D as my main camera for years, its capable. Before someone says straight out of camera/straight jpeg is cleaner. Sure but not by a mile, and only at 100 percent you will see some differences. but if you payed money on either camera, with todays software available and you do not editing? thats a waste of any dslr/money.....even on one that doesn't even do video or even able to focus in live view (40D)

Nicely done.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Great Bustard
Forum ProPosts: 22,643
Like?
Surprising, indeed!
In reply to clarkent1234, May 25, 2013

clarkent1234 wrote:

first one is Canon 5d mark III - 50L 2.8 iso6400..NR/sharpening etc off - both cameras identical in settings

second is: ..............wait for it................................CANON 40D......YES CANON 40D - 35L 2.8 iso1600 (its max!!!) shot at 1600 pushed 2 stops in PP. I am sure most are familiar with ISO pushing technic, so i wont get into that.

NoiseNinja was used at the exact same settings on both. and USM equally the same on CS6.

40D Raw looked a bit more grainy after being pushed 2 full stops in PP. But after Ninja on same setting used on 5dmk3, things looked about identical. Strange but true. Framing was about the same due to crop factor.

2006-7 mid-consumer-whatever-u want to call it- camera replaced by several generations...payed $200 used with high shutter count VS new $3500 full frame camera. Shot at 2.8 since my 35/50 is identical at 2.8!

I've shot weddings with a 40D as my main camera for years, its capable. Before someone says straight out of camera/straight jpeg is cleaner. Sure but not by a mile, and only at 100 percent you will see some differences. but if you payed money on either camera, with todays software available and you do not editing? thats a waste of any dslr/money.....even on one that doesn't even do video or even able to focus in live view (40D)

The DOFs look remarkably similar, which is a surprise.  I imagine you shot the scenes from the same position since the 40D photo is framed a tad tighter than the 5D3 photo, as we would expect since 35mm on 1.6x is equivalent to 56mm on FF.  If so, it is indeed surprising that the DOFs look about the same.

Also, the 5D3 photo should be significantly less noisy as the exposures were the same, which puts 2.56x more light on the 5D3 sensor, and the 5D3 sensor is more efficient to boot.

Something seems amiss, here!

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
sean lancaster
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,183Gear list
Like?
Re: REVEAL TIME (big surprise!)
In reply to clarkent1234, May 25, 2013

clarkent1234 wrote:

first one is Canon 5d mark III - 50L 2.8 iso6400..NR/sharpening etc off - both cameras identical in settings

second is: ..............wait for it................................CANON 40D......YES CANON 40D - 35L 2.8 iso1600 (its max!!!) shot at 1600 pushed 2 stops in PP. I am sure most are familiar with ISO pushing technic, so i wont get into that.

Honestly, I thought the second image was better, but I also thought the D800 should look better than what I was seeing (however, I trusted that you weren't lying so I went with it). The sony sensor is outstanding in the Nikons. Even though I selected a 6D, if I was shooting landscape then I wouldn't have hesitated to get a current FF Nikon.

 sean lancaster's gear list:sean lancaster's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-5N Sony Alpha 7 Voigtlander 35mm F1.2 Nokton Sony FE 55mm F1.8 +2 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Mako2011
Mako2011 MOD
Forum ProPosts: 15,114
Like?
Love these
In reply to clarkent1234, May 25, 2013

clarkent1234 wrote:

hey,

simple game, pick the image you like better based on IQ and high ISO results! after 15 guesses, i'll reveal which images belongs to each camera.

(CHEATERS: exif data was removed)

image 1

image 2

Second image seems to easily resolve more detail and the noise pattern seems finer. Pixel count though shows that the two images were sampled differently or the same area was cropped but the subject distance is different.

Based on that...I like the slightly greater detail and finer noise in the second pic. Resolution seems to say it's the D800 but that might be a focus or lens issue throwing it off. Still, just based on noise, I prefer the second pattern better as presented. Thanks much for sharing. Exposure/color in both are pretty close.  Good job presenting.

Now to go back and read the thread and see how off I was

-- hide signature --

My opinions are my own and not those of DPR or its administration. They carry no 'special' value (except to me and Lacie of course)

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Mako2011
Mako2011 MOD
Forum ProPosts: 15,114
Like?
That was fun!!
In reply to clarkent1234, May 25, 2013

That was fun!!!  Thanks

-- hide signature --

My opinions are my own and not those of DPR or its administration. They carry no 'special' value (except to me and Lacie of course)

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
clarkent1234
Forum MemberPosts: 78
Like?
Re: Love these
In reply to Mako2011, May 25, 2013

Mako2011 wrote:

clarkent1234 wrote:

hey,

simple game, pick the image you like better based on IQ and high ISO results! after 15 guesses, i'll reveal which images belongs to each camera.

(CHEATERS: exif data was removed)

image 1

image 2

Second image seems to easily resolve more detail and the noise pattern seems finer. Pixel count though shows that the two images were sampled differently or the same area was cropped but the subject distance is different.

Based on that...I like the slightly greater detail and finer noise in the second pic. Resolution seems to say it's the D800 but that might be a focus or lens issue throwing it off. Still, just based on noise, I prefer the second pattern better as presented. Thanks much for sharing. Exposure/color in both are pretty close.  Good job presenting.

Now to go back and read the thread and see how off I was

-- hide signature --

My opinions are my own and not those of DPR or its administration. They carry no 'special' value (except to me and Lacie of course)

oh you were off! lol

read the "reveal" post

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
clarkent1234
Forum MemberPosts: 78
Like?
Re: REVEAL TIME (big surprise!)
In reply to Wei Kelun, May 25, 2013

Wei Kelun wrote:

clarkent1234 wrote:

first one is Canon 5d mark III - 50L 2.8 iso6400..NR/sharpening etc off - both cameras identical in settings

second is: ..............wait for it................................CANON 40D......YES CANON 40D - 35L 2.8 iso1600 (its max!!!) shot at 1600 pushed 2 stops in PP. I am sure most are familiar with ISO pushing technic, so i wont get into that.

NoiseNinja was used at the exact same settings on both. and USM equally the same on CS6.

40D Raw looked a bit more grainy after being pushed 2 full stops in PP. But after Ninja on same setting used on 5dmk3, things looked about identical. Strange but true. Framing was about the same due to crop factor.

2006-7 mid-consumer-whatever-u want to call it- camera replaced by several generations...payed $200 used with high shutter count VS new $3500 full frame camera. Shot at 2.8 since my 35/50 is identical at 2.8!

I've shot weddings with a 40D as my main camera for years, its capable. Before someone says straight out of camera/straight jpeg is cleaner. Sure but not by a mile, and only at 100 percent you will see some differences. but if you payed money on either camera, with todays software available and you do not editing? thats a waste of any dslr/money.....even on one that doesn't even do video or even able to focus in live view (40D)

Nicely done.

thanks

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
TTMartin
Senior MemberPosts: 5,488Gear list
Like?
Re: REVEAL TIME (big surprise!)
In reply to clarkent1234, May 25, 2013

Well I was right about the DOF.

My go everywhere camera is a Canon XTi and EF 40mm f/2.8 STM.

The 40D and XTi are close cousins, and both of them have amazing image quality.

 TTMartin's gear list:TTMartin's gear list
Canon PowerShot S100 (2000) Canon PowerShot SD1000 Canon EOS 400D Canon EOS 7D Canon EOS M +23 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Johnyguy
Regular MemberPosts: 192
Like?
Re: can you tell the IQ/ISO difference game: canon5dmk3 vs D800e at iso 6400
In reply to clarkent1234, May 25, 2013

Image 2 is the canon 5dmk3.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
pgb
pgb
Senior MemberPosts: 1,155Gear list
Like?
Re: REVEAL TIME (big surprise!)
In reply to clarkent1234, May 25, 2013

Great thread but you should have revealed later and caught more fish.

I thought the 2nd was D800 since it was a bit sharper and noisier but I'm happy to

know it was a 40D as I have one in front of me.

Noise Ninja here I come.

There was a similar shootout between $3000 mic preamps and the $300 Behringer, the votes were

undecided and some very annoyed people too.

-- hide signature --

In the beginning was the rhythm but I had forgotten and was waiting for the beat.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
SubPrime
Senior MemberPosts: 1,233
Like?
Re: can you tell the IQ/ISO difference game: canon5dmk3 vs D800e at iso 6400
In reply to t.c. marino, May 25, 2013

t.c. marino wrote:

if these were shot at the same aperture/shutter speed(ev)my guess is image 1 is canon..from my experience with both brands..canons seems to have slightly more exposure than nikons at the same setting

My experience is quite the contrary and I own both cameras.  The Nikon is prone to over exposure and the Canon is prone to under.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
qianp2k
Senior MemberPosts: 9,540Gear list
Like?
Re: can you tell the IQ/ISO difference game: canon5dmk3 vs D800e at iso 6400
In reply to clarkent1234, May 25, 2013

Top from D800E and bottom from 5DIII that is slightly sharper and should be

-- hide signature --
 qianp2k's gear list:qianp2k's gear list
Sony RX100 Canon EOS-1D Mark III Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 5D Mark III Sony Alpha 7R +20 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
clarkent1234
Forum MemberPosts: 78
Like?
Re: REVEAL TIME (big surprise!)
In reply to pgb, May 25, 2013

pgb wrote:

Great thread but you should have revealed later and caught more fish.

I thought the 2nd was D800 since it was a bit sharper and noisier but I'm happy to

know it was a 40D as I have one in front of me.

Noise Ninja here I come.

There was a similar shootout between $3000 mic preamps and the $300 Behringer, the votes were

undecided and some very annoyed people too.

-- hide signature --

In the beginning was the rhythm but I had forgotten and was waiting for the beat.

40D rocks for its age. And its all about the lens...In this case 2 great lenses that produce a similar image on 2 completely different camers..and a touch up in PP

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
clarkent1234
Forum MemberPosts: 78
Like?
Re: can you tell the IQ/ISO difference game: canon5dmk3 vs D800e at iso 6400
In reply to Johnyguy, May 25, 2013

image 2 is canon 40D pushed beyond its 1600max ISO to 6400 in post.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
clarkent1234
Forum MemberPosts: 78
Like?
Re: can you tell the IQ/ISO difference game: canon5dmk3 vs D800e at iso 6400
In reply to hBill, May 25, 2013

in the link you have the option of viewing at 100 percent. Which others did and still failed.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
clarkent1234
Forum MemberPosts: 78
Like?
Re: How can it possibly matter with these images?
In reply to Flying Fish, May 25, 2013

sure is meaningless....I was tired of the whole prosumer crowd was raving about 6D/5d3 being light years in better high iso and how now they are able to finally go past 400-800 iso. shot 2 is canon 40D....10mp with a max iso of 1600..shot at 1600..iso pushed digitally to 6400 and both had identical post treatment. And in the end most guessed it as a 36mp full frame sensor.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
clarkent1234
Forum MemberPosts: 78
Like?
Re: can you tell the IQ/ISO difference game: canon5dmk3 vs D800e at iso 6400
In reply to bgbs, May 25, 2013

or to necessarily go 'full frame" for the sake of ISO performance? since its clear most people couldnt tell image 2 is from a canon 40D....a camera with a native of 1600iso max....pushed digital to 6400.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Just another Canon shooter
Senior MemberPosts: 2,089Gear list
Like?
Re: can you tell the IQ/ISO difference game: canon5dmk3 vs D800e at iso 6400
In reply to clarkent1234, May 25, 2013

clarkent1234 wrote:

image 2 is canon 40D pushed beyond its 1600max ISO to 6400 in post.

ISO does not determine (shot) noise, total exposure does. What was the EXIF in both cases?

 Just another Canon shooter's gear list:Just another Canon shooter's gear list
Samsung Galaxy S III
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
clarkent1234
Forum MemberPosts: 78
Like?
Re: can you tell the IQ/ISO difference game: canon5dmk3 vs D800e at iso 6400
In reply to Just another Canon shooter, May 25, 2013

for the sake of not repeating it over and over again. ISO in combination with SS does. 1/2500, 1/1000.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
clarkent1234
Forum MemberPosts: 78
Like?
Re: REVEAL TIME (big surprise!)
In reply to TTMartin, May 25, 2013

Smart man! better to have a "lesser" camera all the time than a full frame in a fancy bag at home in the closet.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads