Sirui: How to attach center column to built-in Monopod for extra height?

Started May 24, 2013 | Discussions
HomoSapiensWannaBe
Regular MemberPosts: 256
Like?
Sirui: How to attach center column to built-in Monopod for extra height?
May 24, 2013

I recently purchased a Sirui M-3204 tripod and am pleased with it.   Sirui/Argraph claim on their website that the included Monopod can be height extended with the center column.   The instruction sheet that came with my set does not mention this, and it is not apparent how the center column would attach.   I could use another few inches in height for when I have the camera turned vertically when using a tripod collar with a 70-200 lens.

Have any of you Sirui owners done this center column extension to your monopod?

How does it work?

Thanks in advance for any response.

(I have an e-mail pending with Argraph asking this very question.)

HomoSapiensWannaBe
Like?
Re: Sirui: How to attach center column to built-in Monopod for extra height?
In reply to HomoSapiensWannaBe, May 24, 2013

I just got off the phone with Alan Hyman from Argraph Corp, the U.S. distributor.  He checked and confirmed that the M-3204 cannot use the center column to extend the monopod height, and will change the description on their website to reflect this.

Actually, with the right adapter, this would be possible.  The bottom of the center column, either the long or short one, has a smaller thread pitch than the 16 threads per inch of the 3/8-16 to 1/4-20 adapters (2) provided with each tripod.  This is where the spring loaded screw hook for adding weight attaches to.  It screws into the bottom of the column.  If I were a machinist, I could figure out what the specification is for this bolt, and make an adapter from this spec to 3/8-16.  Then either the long or short center column could be joined to the top of the Monopod to make it taller, with the normal 3/8-16 adapter and camera/head mounting plate screwing onto the very top.

Cheers.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Klipsen
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,067Gear list
Like?
Only on "MX" models ...
In reply to HomoSapiensWannaBe, May 25, 2013

... according to their home page:

http://www.sirui-photo.us/Sirui/Sirui-M-Tripod-Series.html

I suppose the 'X' stands for "extendable".

-- hide signature --

Ceterum censeo soleam calidam ISO esse delendam.

Klipsen's gear list:Klipsen's gear list
Sony Alpha DSLR-A700 Sony Alpha DSLR-A900 Sony Alpha NEX-7 Sony E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Sony 70-200mm F2.8 G +16 more
HomoSapiensWannaBe
Like?
Re: Only on "MX" models ...
In reply to Klipsen, May 27, 2013

Klipsen wrote:

... according to their home page:

http://www.sirui-photo.us/Sirui/Sirui-M-Tripod-Series.html

I suppose the 'X' stands for "extendable".

-- hide signature --

Thanks for the reply.

Your link goes to the Argraph site.  The fellow I spoke with there went and got a unit from stock and says "no can do" with the M-3204 column extension.  He said he'd pass along my comments to the Sirui folks.  I don't see an "M-3204x" stocked anywhere in the US.  Perhaps there is a newer model not yet imported with the simple change needed to make the column extendable.

Michael W00d
Contributing MemberPosts: 800
Like?
In reply to HomoSapiensWannaBe, May 29, 2013

This is a long shot but it may work for you. As you know, I have the Sirui T-2204X. It’s a different beast but comes with a short extension. This extension is intended I think for low level shots with the tripod collapsed. However it can be added to the main extension as follows:

With the allen key, slacken the bolt holding the head plate on the main extension column.

Remove the head plate.

Screw the 3/8” threaded bolt in the short extension into the main extension.

The head plate should now screw down into the end of the short extension, inserting the ¼” thread end in first.

HomoSapiensWannaBe
Like?
In reply to Michael W00d, May 30, 2013

Michael W00d wrote:

This is a long shot but it may work for you. As you know, I have the Sirui T-2204X. It’s a different beast but comes with a short extension. This extension is intended I think for low level shots with the tripod collapsed. However it can be added to the main extension as follows:

With the allen key, slacken the bolt holding the head plate on the main extension column.

Remove the head plate.

Screw the 3/8” threaded bolt in the short extension into the main extension.

The head plate should now screw down into the end of the short extension, inserting the ¼” thread end in first.

On the M-3204, the thread pitch is different on the bottom of the long and short column.  The bottom, where the spring-loaded hook screws in, has a finer thread pitch than the 16 threads per inch of the 3/8-16 to 1/4-20 bolts, of which there are two in my set.  If the thread pitch were the same, it would be a simple matter to connect either column atop the monopod.

Thanks for your reply, though.

RichyjV
Regular MemberPosts: 342
Like?
In reply to HomoSapiensWannaBe, 11 months ago

The X refers to the carbon fiber model, as opposed to the aluminium: its easy, it works, none of the tools are required.

Unscrew the hook part from the bottom of the column to allow it to slide out. Having removed that separate the long column from the short. Screw the long column into the top of the detachable monopod leg. Remove the part with attaches to the ball head from the short column and put it on the long column instead. Done, quick easy.

-- hide signature --

Regards
Rich

HomoSapiensWannaBe
Like?
In reply to RichyjV, 11 months ago

RichyjV wrote:

The X refers to the carbon fiber model, as opposed to the aluminium: its easy, it works, none of the tools are required.

Unscrew the hook part from the bottom of the column to allow it to slide out. Having removed that separate the long column from the short. Screw the long column into the top of the detachable monopod leg. Remove the part with attaches to the ball head from the short column and put it on the long column instead. Done, quick easy.

-- hide signature --

Regards
Rich

Thanks for the reply.

As I explained above, this doesn't work for my M-3204. The thread pitch for the spring-loaded hook insert that goes into the bottom of the column is finer than for the ball head attachment, so they can't mate together.  Perhaps I got an older stock and they have since changed to the same thread pitch?

Do you have an M-3204 or do you have a different (smaller) model and assume they are all the same? Some of the smaller models definitely allow coupling the center column atop the monopod.

RichyjV
Regular MemberPosts: 342
Like?

HomoSapiensWannaBe wrote:

RichyjV wrote:

-- hide signature --

Regards
Rich

Thanks for the reply.

As I explained above, this doesn't work for my M-3204. The thread pitch for the spring-loaded hook insert that goes into the bottom of the column is finer than for the ball head attachment, so they can't mate together. Perhaps I got an older stock and they have since changed to the same thread pitch?

Do you have an M-3204 or do you have a different (smaller) model and assume they are all the same? Some of the smaller models definitely allow coupling the center column atop the monopod.

I have the M3204X and just assembled the monopod extension in a matter of seconds. The thread at the end where the spring hook is attaches directly to the top of the monopod leg on mine, and the other end of the column (the part which attaches to the smaller column) is where the ball head attachment goes.

-- hide signature --

Regards
Rich

HomoSapiensWannaBe
Like?
In reply to RichyjV, 11 months ago

RichyjV wrote:

RichyjV wrote:

-- hide signature --

Regards
Rich

Thanks for the reply.

As I explained above, this doesn't work for my M-3204. The thread pitch for the spring-loaded hook insert that goes into the bottom of the column is finer than for the ball head attachment, so they can't mate together. Perhaps I got an older stock and they have since changed to the same thread pitch?

I have the M3204X and just assembled the monopod extension in a matter of seconds. The thread at the end where the spring hook is attaches directly to the top of the monopod leg on mine, and the other end of the column (the part which attaches to the smaller column) is where the ball head attachment goes.

-- hide signature --

Regards
Rich

Rich,

Thanks for confirming this! I will contact Argraph, the US distributor, and seek replacement columns with the same thread pitch on bottom as the 3/8-16 bolts used on top. Cheers.

Cliff Fujii
Senior MemberPosts: 2,486Gear list
Like?

Looks like the Sirui M-3204X can do it.  Does yours have a separate extension piece?

Cliff Fujii's gear list:Cliff Fujii's gear list
Nikon Df Nikon 1 V3 Nikon D810 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 16-35mm f/4G ED VR Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 60mm f/2.8G ED +50 more
HomoSapiensWannaBe
Like?
In reply to Cliff Fujii, 11 months ago

Cliff Fujii wrote:

Looks like the Sirui M-3204X can do it. Does yours have a separate extension piece?

I ordered the M-3204x in May and apparently received an older M-3204, which does not have compatible threads for the center column to attach to the monopod.  I am waiting for Argraph to send replacement columns that are compatible.

Cope
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,319Gear list
Like?

Cliff Fujii wrote:

Looks like the Sirui M-3204X can do it. Does yours have a separate extension piece?

I ordered the M-3204x in May and apparently received an older M-3204, which does not have compatible threads for the center column to attach to the monopod. I am waiting for Argraph to send replacement columns that are compatible.

IIRC, the older tripods had a second short column, while the newer ones have the two piece.  My N-2204-X allows me to add the column to the monopod.

-- hide signature --

Never ask a man where he's from. If he is from Texas, he'll tell you. Otherwise, don't embarrass him.

Cope's gear list:Cope's gear list
Nikon D7000 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 16-85mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G VR Tokina AT-X Pro 12-24mm f/4 (IF) DX +3 more
HomoSapiensWannaBe
Like?
In reply to HomoSapiensWannaBe, 10 months ago

Today I finally have a current M-3204X tripod. I like the two-piece column design which keeps the short column handy when needed. The longer center column section fits atop the monopod, which is what my original M-3204 would not do. An added bonus is the bottom leg sections are now marked with numbered lines so it is easy to set all three legs to the same length when the full leg extension is not needed. Recall that I originally ordered an M-3204x from Amazon, but their vendor sent an M-3204. After getting Amazon to agree to take back my original M-3204, I reordered an M-3204X from their new vendor. The price had gone down from $438.95 to $381.99, but alas, I received another out-of-date M-3204, so back it went immediately. In the end, I ordered it from B&H at the new price of $464.95, $26.00 more than my first attempt from Amazon. Also, I should note that Amazon took a 20% restocking fee on the first tripod when they gave me credit, though they did not mention they would do this when I got the return authorization.  However, today I convinced them I am due a full refund, so all is well.  This has been frustrating, however the quality and functionality of the new version made this effort worthwhile. Cheers.

Klipsen
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,067Gear list
Like?
Similar experience when ordering a photo bag

Recall that I originally ordered an M-3204x from Amazon, but their vendor sent an M-3204. After getting Amazon to agree to take back my original M-3204, I reordered an M-3204X from their new vendor. The price had gone down from $438.95 to $381.99, but alas, I received another out-of-date M-3204, so back it went immediately. In the end, I ordered it from B&H at the new price of $464.95, $26.00 more than my first attempt from Amazon.

I searched for the Tamrac 613 Super Pro 13 (made in USA) and found it on Amazon France. The seller was an independent dealer in England, who sent me a Tamrac 5613 Ultra Pro (made in China or something). When I complained, they asked me to return it so it could be replaced, then sent me the same model a second time. They simply couldn't deliver the item I ordered, because it's only sold via US dealers, so I returned it again at quite some cost and ordered the real thing from B&H.

Since then, I'm very cautious about buying from Amazon, and PayPal have also proved to be less of a guarantee than they claim to be, but that's another story.

-- hide signature --

Klipsen's gear list:Klipsen's gear list
Sony Alpha DSLR-A700 Sony Alpha DSLR-A900 Sony Alpha NEX-7 Sony E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Sony 70-200mm F2.8 G +16 more
HomoSapiensWannaBe
Like?

I just realized that the M-3204x has yet another improvement over the M-3204: All three legs have a protective foam pad.  Only two legs had foam pads on the M-3204.  Now I don't have to think about how to lay it across my shoulder when carrying with camera attached.  Also, when using the sling strap whichever leg is against my body will have a pad.  Great!

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads