Minolta MD/MC to Sony A mount adapter by Fotodiox

Started May 24, 2013 | Questions
Ajitphoto
New MemberPosts: 5
Like?
Minolta MD/MC to Sony A mount adapter by Fotodiox
May 24, 2013

Has anybody used the lens adapter (Minolta MD to Sony A mount) made by Fotodiox?
I have a Sony SLT Alpha77 camera body and would like to use my old Minolta MD 100mm macro and MC 50mm macro lenses for macro photography only. So focusing to infinity is not important. The Fotodiox has infinity focus with a built in lens element but it is removable for macro photography, according to Fotodiox.

Questions: 1. If you have used this adapter how is the quality of the fit? I do not want to damage the body with badly machined adapter ring. 
2. With the lens element removed what is the range of focus? I understand that it will depend on the lens but any experience with the Minolta 100mm macro or 50mm macro?
Thank you for your help.

Ajitphoto
www.AjitPhoto.com

ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
wierdphotoguy
New MemberPosts: 9Gear list
Like?
Re: Minolta MD/MC to Sony A mount adapter by Fotodiox
In reply to Ajitphoto, May 24, 2013

Ajitphoto wrote:

Has anybody used the lens adapter (Minolta MD to Sony A mount) made by Fotodiox?
I have a Sony SLT Alpha77 camera body and would like to use my old Minolta MD 100mm macro and MC 50mm macro lenses for macro photography only. So focusing to infinity is not important. The Fotodiox has infinity focus with a built in lens element but it is removable for macro photography, according to Fotodiox.

Questions: 1. If you have used this adapter how is the quality of the fit? I do not want to damage the body with badly machined adapter ring. 
2. With the lens element removed what is the range of focus? I understand that it will depend on the lens but any experience with the Minolta 100mm macro or 50mm macro?
Thank you for your help.

Ajitphoto
www.AjitPhoto.com

I passed on that model; I read the instructions and decided not to play around with losing the elements (there are two pieces of glass)  I use MD mount lenses for macro and got one of the cheap ones ($12 eBay) and it works well.  It does not mount as solid or smooth as a lens, but it is secure.  The cheapest I found one with the glass was about $25.  $36-$40 for two of them versus ? for fotodiox.

As for the range of focus, the part I just described above was tested with various lenses, including a 50mm non macro and a 28mm macro.  The range of focus is very limited, starting at MFD and extending maybe a foot at most.  With a 300mm prime it showed the same; MFD plus about a foot when focused at infinity.

-- hide signature --

It's a good picture if everyone else knows why you took it.

wierdphotoguy's gear list:wierdphotoguy's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-H20 Sony SLT-A37 Sony DT 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 SAM Sony 75-300mm F4.5-5.6 +5 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
TomGallopavo
Regular MemberPosts: 427Gear list
Like?
In reply to Ajitphoto, May 26, 2013

I have it (and the a77) and keep it permanently attached to the MD 50mm macro.  The fit is snug and secure.  I also have the macro extension tube and the fit is as expected.  I removed the element and have no plans on ever remounting it.  You can leave the adapter on and switch between MD lenses and not notice it.

Focus with the tube goes from about 1.5 in. to 2.5 in..  Without the tube it goes from about 2.75 in. to 10 in..  I'm sure you know that the aperture must be adjusted manually and the camera set to fire without a lens attached.  Can't speak to the 100mm as I do not have it.  I think I paid 30 something bucks and feel it was worth it.  Hope this helps.

TomGallopavo's gear list:TomGallopavo's gear list
Sony SLT-A77 Sony DT 35mm F1.8 SAM Sony DT 16-50mm F2.8 SSM +6 more
jeffcpix
Senior MemberPosts: 1,039
Like?
In reply to TomGallopavo, May 27, 2013

I can't comment on the Fotodiox (with corrective lens for infinity focus), I got mine from a place in Brooklyn -- looks identical.

Good fit, but poor image quality.

I also got one without a lens -- better IQ result (I used them on a 500mm Rokkor and found that infinity on a 500 is quite far away) but the fit was not good. I put a thin rubber band around the lens mount  before mounting the adapter -- worked great but a proper shim would be preferable.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads