Attempt at street shooting with my Olympus OM-DE5

Started May 24, 2013 | Photos
Weegee
Contributing MemberPosts: 940
Like?
Attempt at street shooting with my Olympus OM-DE5
May 24, 2013

In the old days, I use to shoot with a Leica M3 and 50mm. 50 years later, I decided to try digital. The first camera I bought simply had too much shutter lag ( a Canon S95 ). So, I waited and finally decided on the Olympus OM5 ( as I call it ).

On a recent trip to Montreal, I decided to shoot a few street scenes just for old time's sake. The camera is actually pretty decent, almost no shutter lag and instant focus ( even though I'm used to pre focusing as I used to do with my M3 ). The only problem being that I have to wake it up once in a while so avoid shutter lag startup.

I mainly used a 7-14mm wide angle ( I like to get in close ) and one shot with the 40-150mm ( I didn't have time to get to the guy with the monkey. I figured he'd be gone by the time I got close ).

These were shot in color and I simply used the desaturation tool plus a little contrast curve. Probably not the best way to convert to B & W.

I also bought a 17mm f/1.8 to give me my favorite 35mm focal length for street photography. I have yet to try it out. However, for father's day, I decided to go to Weir's Beach ( in NH ) to photograph the annual bike meet. There, I will try the 17mm. Plus, some really tight close ups with the 7mm focal length. I may wear a bike helmet in case I get punched out!

Comment & critique:
Please provide me constructive critique and criticism.
Canon PowerShot S95
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
unknown member
(unknown member)
Like?
Re: Attempt at street shooting with my Olympus OM-DE5
In reply to Weegee, May 25, 2013

Weegee wrote:

In the old days, I use to shoot with a Leica M3 and 50mm. 50 years later, I decided to try digital. The first camera I bought simply had too much shutter lag ( a Canon S95 ). So, I waited and finally decided on the Olympus OM5 ( as I call it ).

On a recent trip to Montreal, I decided to shoot a few street scenes just for old time's sake. The camera is actually pretty decent, almost no shutter lag and instant focus ( even though I'm used to pre focusing as I used to do with my M3 ). The only problem being that I have to wake it up once in a while so avoid shutter lag startup.

I mainly used a 7-14mm wide angle ( I like to get in close ) and one shot with the 40-150mm ( I didn't have time to get to the guy with the monkey. I figured he'd be gone by the time I got close ).

These were shot in color and I simply used the desaturation tool plus a little contrast curve. Probably not the best way to convert to B & W.

I also bought a 17mm f/1.8 to give me my favorite 35mm focal length for street photography. I have yet to try it out. However, for father's day, I decided to go to Weir's Beach ( in NH ) to photograph the annual bike meet. There, I will try the 17mm. Plus, some really tight close ups with the 7mm focal length. I may wear a bike helmet in case I get punched out!

This one reminds me of the way you used to choose and compose your images. All these are very much as they were back then but this one somehow more so ...somehow more film like in its tone.

Is nice to see an old dog that doesn't need to learn any new tricks (grin)

I'm glad you got the omd, it doesnt overpower the image as the new Ricoh GR does and so it leaves room for us to see the photographer.

Ant.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
unknown member
(unknown member)
Like?
Re: Attempt at street shooting with my Olympus OM-DE5
In reply to oneANT, May 25, 2013

Oh, and I see your black & white eyes still work, that was something obvious in these pics.

Ant.

Weegee
Like?
Thanks, oneant !
In reply to oneANT, May 25, 2013

Any good/bad criticism from you is a learning experience.

meagre offerings
Senior MemberPosts: 3,586Gear list
Like?
Re: Thanks, oneant !
In reply to Weegee, May 30, 2013

Any good/bad criticism from you is a learning experience.

I like this set of yours, thank you for sharing with us.

best

pc

meagre offerings's gear list:meagre offerings's gear list
Fujifilm X-Pro1 Fujifilm XF 18mm F2 R Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R +3 more
BingoCharlie
Contributing MemberPosts: 849
Like?
Re: Thanks, oneant !
In reply to meagre offerings, May 30, 2013

Great shots and nice processing.  The distortion is a little heavy for me -- and I'm normally someone who doesn't mind distortion.

Weegee
Like?
Yes, that 7mm is a killer for distortion
In reply to Weegee, May 31, 2013

On my Nikon I only have a 17mm so once in a while I want to create a Salvatore Dali-like image and the equivalent 14mm on the Olympus does the trick. I shot it for the "round" shapes.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads