Is Apple getting people by their brain-balls?

Started May 24, 2013 | Discussions
Jeff
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,470
Like?
crowd sourced flash (n/t) ...
In reply to Mike Walters, May 24, 2013

Mike Walters wrote:

I can just imagine getting a bunch of iPhone users coordinated to hold their iPhones up as flashes, it would be hilarious...'I wanna take the photo'...'No I wanna do it'.....'no no no i wanna do it'.....'oh oh can I highlight the hair'....'no I wanna do that' ...'why were you holding your phone the wrong way round?'...'er dunno but cant see anything right now'....'hang on, hold fire, I gotta take a call'...'oh yeah, and I have a text I need to read'....'This is sooo cool, I must tweet everyone'

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Mike Walters
Contributing MemberPosts: 604
Like?
Re: There was nothing stopping C/N from doing the same thing ...
In reply to Just Having Fun, May 24, 2013

I was just having fun

But seriously, who really cares how it might work. After all, they are just phones with an add on camera.

absentaneous
Regular MemberPosts: 419
Like?
Re: Is Apple getting people by their brain-balls?
In reply to Midwest, May 24, 2013

Drawback: you might get mugged for your iPhone but nobody wants an Android that badly.

exactly. but lets take a moment and figure out what does that actually tell us? well, what you just described is fanaticism. a fanatic would do such a thing, a normal, balanced person never. and where else is fanaticism most present? well in matters like religion or ideology in general. so, why won't fanatics "fight" for an android? it's simple: because nobody is brainwashing them to do so. the majority of android users would chose an android phone because of practical reasons. the majority of apple users would choose iphone because it's first of all made by apple. that's the difference.

a fanatic fails to see things clearly. he fails to see that in practice a top android phone is by no means less good than an iphone, most likely even the opposite so what attracts him/her to the iphone is the same delusion that attracts a religious person to god. apple = religion for most of their users for the rest is just a good product worth having but not worth killing for.

Just Having Fun
Senior MemberPosts: 3,869
Like?
In reply to Mike Walters, May 24, 2013

Mike Walters wrote:

I was just having fun

But seriously, who really cares how it might work. After all, they are just phones with an add on camera.

Maybe your right, I bet no one uses them to take pictures anyway...which is why the P&S market is so hot!

Midwest
Forum ProPosts: 13,291
Like?
In reply to vzlnc, May 25, 2013

vzlnc wrote:

Midwest wrote:

vzlnc wrote:

Substance has got nothing to do with market success. Look at the latest movies, songs etc. Marketing can build hype and deceive public in buying an inferior product, and it can also create some kind of intangible cooth around such brands that public will be convinced that it is the best.

Let's see, who was selling a smartphone in any way like Apple's iPhone before they introduced their 'inferior product' which has become the basic model for just about every other cell phone?

Who was that? It was... nobody, if I recall correctly.

Too bad their inferior iPhone knocked out all those fold-open phones with their breakable hinges and little tiny buttons and tiny screens to navigate with menus to do everything.

Nokia had more technologically advanced smart phones based on Symbian OS. They had lot of rough edges though and somehow couldnt enter the American market.

In other words, coulda, shoulda, woulda. But didn't. Where are those phones now? After all this time they haven't got the rough edges off and shown up with them?

I'm not doubting you, just saying what happened in actuality.

Midwest
Like?
In reply to PhotoKhan, May 25, 2013

PhotoKhan wrote:

Midwest wrote:

bosjohn21 wrote:

Apple bashing is so much fun it brings out the best in everyone. My goodness such vitriol if you dont like apple your free not to buy it. If it's your mission to proselytise to the heathen how big and bad apple is fine but then you need a pulpit or at least a dirty soap box. Apple bashing is passé no one cares any more.

And when the first phone was three years old I sold it for a good chunk of what it cost me in the first place, a nice plus.

This is one great plus of Apple's products, undeniably.

Drawback: you might get mugged for your iPhone but nobody wants an Android that badly.

No, you might also get knocked on the head for an S4...The other lAndroid's, the ones that no mugger would care for, are, precisely, what makes the platform strong against Apple's, why Apple is getting their ass kicked throughout the world.

Apple tells you "get this or sod off".

Actually Apple says 'This is what we have. Buy it if you want it.'

Android says: "What are your needs? What is your budget? These are the products for you".

As far as my phone (and tablet - iPad) are concerned I like the approach that keeps everything up to snuff and my apps current and tested out before I put them on my phone. Every time there's an update available for an app the phone 'tells' me on the screen with an icon and in a few seconds the one or more apps is updating. The phone's OS is also checked and kept up to date as is the iTunes software on my PC. And I will admit Apple does not write the very best PC software around but it does work.

I invest minimal time deciding which phone, what features, which this and what that.

What it boils down to is, it WORKS and does not demand much of my time or attention to stay that way. There are no iPhone apps I've heard of that had nasty stuff buried inside, since Apple checks out and approves all apps the put on their iTunes store.

As I said, I wanted a phone that did a great job for me, anything I wanted it to do, without it becoming a hobby. I have a camera that I enjoy getting into the nuts and bolts of, that is a hobby I enjoy. My phone just does a job for me without requiring me to do much to keep it up to par.

The other day, one of the most proselytizing Apple fans I know, one that is constantly referencing how wonderful his life is because of Apple, suddenly pulled a Sony Experia from his pocket.

I went "What...!?...Am I seeing right?... a SONY !?...".

His half-muttered words..."Well, I needed a dual-sim phone, so...".

So now he's got one. I am glad for the free market system where I can have an iPhone and you can have an Android.

Midwest
Like?
In reply to absentaneous, May 25, 2013

absentaneous wrote:

exactly. but lets take a moment and figure out what does that actually tell us? well, what you just described is fanaticism. a fanatic would do such a thing, a normal, balanced person never. and where else is fanaticism most present? well in matters like religion or ideology in general. so, why won't fanatics "fight" for an android? it's simple: because nobody is brainwashing them to do so. the majority of android users would chose an android phone because of practical reasons. the majority of apple users would choose iphone because it's first of all made by apple. that's the difference.

a fanatic fails to see things clearly. he fails to see that in practice a top android phone is by no means less good than an iphone, most likely even the opposite so what attracts him/her to the iphone is the same delusion that attracts a religious person to god. apple = religion for most of their users for the rest is just a good product worth having but not worth killing for.

Well this is quite a response for what I intended as a tongue-in-cheek comment.

You will notice I have said why I like my iPhone - not why it is 'better than an Android', I have not 'fought' for my phone after another, those kinds of silly quarrels on the Internet are mostly a waste of time. I said why I like my iPhone and why I don't think of it as an 'inferior' product.

I'm surely no fanatic, though I have no interest in changing to Android.

bosjohn21
Senior MemberPosts: 5,134
Like?

PhotoKhan wrote:

bosjohn21 wrote:

please stop beating around the bush equivocating and waffling and tell us what you really think of Apple

-- hide signature --

John aka bosjohn21

Already did, above.

PK

-- hide signature --

“Loose praise may feed my ego but constructive criticism advances my skills”
-------------------------------------------------
http://www.pbase.com/photokhan
(PBase Supporter)

dang I was being ironic sigh

-- hide signature --

John aka bosjohn21

bosjohn21
Like?
In reply to Just Having Fun, May 25, 2013

Just Having Fun wrote:

Mike Walters wrote:

....'oh oh can I highlight the hair'....'no I wanna do that' ...'why were you holding your phone the wrong way round?'...

um, you don't understand how it would work do you.

oh yes he does heheheh but its not the phone's fault

-- hide signature --

John aka bosjohn21

bosjohn21
Like?
In reply to Mike Walters, May 25, 2013

Mike Walters wrote:

I can just imagine getting a bunch of iPhone users coordinated to hold their iPhones up as flashes, it would be hilarious...'I wanna take the photo'...'No I wanna do it'.....'no no no i wanna do it'.....'oh oh can I highlight the hair'....'no I wanna do that' ...'why were you holding your phone the wrong way round?'...'er dunno but cant see anything right now'....'hang on, hold fire, I gotta take a call'...'oh yeah, and I have a text I need to read'....'This is sooo cool, I must tweet everyone'

dang right on target this is the funniest post I have read in weeks including my own, I can just visulize what your saying but sadly I can t find my camer in time. and I am an apple user but not because i think it cutting edge but because I can work it.

-- hide signature --

John aka bosjohn21

bugzie
Senior MemberPosts: 1,528
Like?

PhotoKhan wrote:

This appeared in the news section. It's, it seems, an Apple submitted patent.

Apparently, DPR did not recognize it as wireless flash setup stating an extraordinary "We're intrigued by the idea".

...or maybe it did recognize it but were mesmerized by the putative extra capabilities listed in the submitted patent like, "a graphical user interface to be used to preview test shots" (read, touch screen preview) or the "impromptu setup to offer instructions to the photographer/subject 'to move in a particular direction, for a particular distance, to angle or move the device in a certain manner, and so forth" (read, obviously necessary scene directing instructions for otherwise clueless multi-strobes photography soccer mothers).

Why the continuous demonstrations of awe, like this DPR one, at a manufacturer that keeps throwing about this very same, repeated foul-smelling stunt?:

Offering what already exists, disguised as "coolness", to be presented in a KNA by whoever is the new black turtleneck guru in charge, brainwashed audience going "Wooow!", while at the same time having the actual nerve to "patent" that very same already-existing thing, so they can later litigate competitors to their knees, the legal system not even taking notice that they were NOT the "inventors" in the first place.

Myself, I am anxiously awaiting the coming Apple's "Social Mirror Based Image Capture System".

(...good grief...)

PK

The point is you can use the flashes of other mobile phones. It isn't a wireless flash set-up. You don't need any extra accessories to do it. Is it some big deal? No, maybe not but these days, if it moves, these companies will patent it. Because if you don't bother, some other company will, locking you out of this particular idea or forcing you to pay big bucks to use it.

That this patent application passes as "news" is another issue entirely. There must be people combing patent applications desperately trying to find something that might constitute something vaguely newsworthy. Apple gets a lot of attention via this source because they tend to keep their products under wraps. Apple is big click bait. These tech blogs are desperate for Apple news. If only to attract the torrents of abuse from people like yourself. Love 'em or hate 'em, the blogs don't care. It's all "eyeballs" to them.

Despite what DPR suggests, there aren't adoring Apple fans fawning over the sheer genius of this proposal. It's all quite ho-hum. The trick would be to get it working nicely so it would be easy to use. Apple might just scrap the idea all together. With them, the point is not so much offering this feature but getting it so people would want to use it, and so it was easy to use.

Apple isn't getting people by the brain-balls. They do have the nerve to patent something you feel already exists. All those big tech companies do. One slight difference and you whack a patent on it, even if it's just in case. That the tech blogs would want to make news of this is probably more remarkable. And that they get good (and bad) reactions from this story is exactly what they're looking for.

PhotoKhan
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,931Gear list
Like?
In reply to bugzie, May 25, 2013

bugzie wrote:

PhotoKhan wrote:

This appeared in the news section. It's, it seems, an Apple submitted patent.

Apparently, DPR did not recognize it as wireless flash setup stating an extraordinary "We're intrigued by the idea".

...or maybe it did recognize it but were mesmerized by the putative extra capabilities listed in the submitted patent like, "a graphical user interface to be used to preview test shots" (read, touch screen preview) or the "impromptu setup to offer instructions to the photographer/subject 'to move in a particular direction, for a particular distance, to angle or move the device in a certain manner, and so forth" (read, obviously necessary scene directing instructions for otherwise clueless multi-strobes photography soccer mothers).

Why the continuous demonstrations of awe, like this DPR one, at a manufacturer that keeps throwing about this very same, repeated foul-smelling stunt?:

Offering what already exists, disguised as "coolness", to be presented in a KNA by whoever is the new black turtleneck guru in charge, brainwashed audience going "Wooow!", while at the same time having the actual nerve to "patent" that very same already-existing thing, so they can later litigate competitors to their knees, the legal system not even taking notice that they were NOT the "inventors" in the first place.

Myself, I am anxiously awaiting the coming Apple's "Social Mirror Based Image Capture System".

(...good grief...)

PK

The point is you can use the flashes of other mobile phones. It isn't a wireless flash set-up. You don't need any extra accessories to do it. Is it some big deal? No, maybe not but these days, if it moves, these companies will patent it. Because if you don't bother, some other company will, locking you out of this particular idea or forcing you to pay big bucks to use it.

That this patent application passes as "news" is another issue entirely. There must be people combing patent applications desperately trying to find something that might constitute something vaguely newsworthy. Apple gets a lot of attention via this source because they tend to keep their products under wraps. Apple is big click bait. These tech blogs are desperate for Apple news. If only to attract the torrents of abuse from people like yourself. Love 'em or hate 'em, the blogs don't care. It's all "eyeballs" to them.

Despite what DPR suggests, there aren't adoring Apple fans fawning over the sheer genius of this proposal. It's all quite ho-hum. The trick would be to get it working nicely so it would be easy to use. Apple might just scrap the idea all together. With them, the point is not so much offering this feature but getting it so people would want to use it, and so it was easy to use.

Apple isn't getting people by the brain-balls. They do have the nerve to patent something you feel already exists. All those big tech companies do. One slight difference and you whack a patent on it, even if it's just in case. That the tech blogs would want to make news of this is probably more remarkable. And that they get good (and bad) reactions from this story is exactly what they're looking for.

What an intelligent, intelligent reply. Thank you for that.

PK

-- hide signature --

(PBase Supporter)

Midwest
Like?

PhotoKhan wrote:

bugzie wrote:

What an intelligent, intelligent reply. Thank you for that.

I agree entirely. And however ingenious this concept or patent or whatever might prove to be, it is something which very, very few of us iPhone owners are concerned about. Apple may be protecting themselves in case down the road it is more worthwhile than its current status.

I have an iPhone and the patent information didn't particularly interest me, much less excite me. I have an iPhone because I want a phone, not a hobby. That flash thing gets way into 'hobby'.

Leandros S
Senior MemberPosts: 1,073Gear list
Like?

You're venting at the wrong peeps. It's the US American patent system that needs major, major, major, major overhaul. And the courts system, probably. If I were CEO of USA Inc., I would throw the whole thing out and start again from first principles.

bgD300
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,552Gear list
Like?
Re: It is an incredibly smart idea.
In reply to PhotoKhan, May 26, 2013

PhotoKhan wrote:

You'll notice that items 202A through 202C in the drawing have a cord.

PK

Wireless is just sooo 20th century.

-- hide signature --

EXIF is embedded in photos
My photo blog: http://birdsnbugs.wordpress.com
My camera club porfolio: http://www.pacameraclub.com/Member.Galleries/Brian_20Grant/index.html
RF Stock Portfolio - http://www.dreamstime.com/resp129611
WSSA #51 as bg5700

bgD300's gear list:bgD300's gear list
Nikon Coolpix P7100 Nikon D90 Nikon D300 Nikon 1 V1 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR +16 more
epo001
Regular MemberPosts: 352
Like?
In reply to PhotoKhan, May 26, 2013

Here is one of my DPR troll tests, perhaps I should patent it.

Thinly disguised manufacturer bashing disguised as reporting a news item ... check.

Said reporting contains editorializing, typically bashing 'clueless' users like, say, soccer moms ... check.

The post has a witless headline, thought by the thread starter to be witty or provocative ... check.

Thread starter seems to supply the majority of posts in the thread ... check.

Thread starter clueless about how to quote replies so quotes entire post being replied to in full, thus bulking out the page with stuff we have just read ... check.

And of course, all this on the basis of no facts whatsoever. So in this case we do not even know what exactly is being patented.

Suplementary note, these thread starters sometimes have post counts in the thousands, presumably indicating someone out of work with too much time on their hands and/or someone who spends time replying to threads they have started.

PhotoKhan
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,931Gear list
Like?
In reply to epo001, May 26, 2013

Major Tom, is that you?

PK

-- hide signature --

(PBase Supporter)

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads