Is Apple getting people by their brain-balls?

Started May 24, 2013 | Discussions
PhotoKhan
Veteran MemberPosts: 8,263
Like?
Re: "the use of wireless technology like Bluetooth or Wi-Fi"
In reply to Just Having Fun, May 24, 2013

Just Having Fun wrote:

"Apple proposes the use of wireless technology like Bluetooth or Wi-Fi"?

Ahh...yes, that's wireless flash photography in a completely, radically different approach...I see the light now! (...lower UHF frequencies are so not-cool...)

I am starting to think you don't understand this simple/smart concept.

Hey, we "thick", un-cool people are like that, sorry...but I do have my black turtleneck on order, so there's some hope I will be able to "understand" every old solutions as adapted for smartphones for the true glorious revolutions they actually seem to be, in the near feature.

...I must say, that turtleneck on the mail, I can already feel some "buzz" imagining the new iReflector.

PK

-- hide signature --

“Loose praise may feed my ego but constructive criticism advances my skills”
-------------------------------------------------
http://www.pbase.com/photokhan
(PBase Supporter)

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Just Having Fun
Senior MemberPosts: 3,869
Like?
No, think of it this way...
In reply to PhotoKhan, May 24, 2013

Think of it this way.  You are with a bunch of your friends on night and you all carry your favorite Nikon cameras around in your pocket.  You come across a subject that you want to take a picture of, that would be perfect if only you had a wireless flash setup to illuminate it.

Then you realize you could use all 8 of the flashes on your friends' cameras, and not only that, but YOUR camera could help find the best orientation of those flashes via its built-in software.

Starting to make sense yet?

Oh, you could then post that pic to your favorite social media site instantly too. 

Jeff
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,470
Like?
There was nothing stopping C/N from doing the same thing ...

What's the issue?

C/N or others could have done this, too.   Just as Motorola or Nokia could have developed the iPhone.  They didn't.  If they think they've been infringed upon, they know what to do. Otherwise tough.

For better or worse, Apple and Samsung and now the main drivers of the camera industry.

By surrendering the camera mass market to smartphones, the incumbents leave themselves the task of enlarging the market for higher end photography. They did it before in the 60's-80's. And there may actually be an untapped market in the BRIC countries. But otherwise they're fighting over table scraps. They could use a little of Apple mojo themselves.

PhotoKhan
Like?
Re: No, think of it this way...

Just Having Fun wrote:

Think of it this way.  You are with a bunch of your friends on night and you all carry your favorite Nikon cameras around in your pocket.  You come across a subject that you want to take a picture of, that would be perfect if only you had a wireless flash setup to illuminate it.

Then you realize you could use all 8 of the flashes on your friends' cameras, and not only that, but YOUR camera could help find the best orientation of those flashes via its built-in software.

Oh, you could then post that pic to your favorite social media site instantly too. 

I get it. It maybe certainly useful for smartphone photographers, depending on how it will be actually implemented.

...but it still is wireless flash photography.

Trying to patent that is just opportunistic. DPR being "intrigued with the idea", it's just sad.

PK

-- hide signature --

(PBase Supporter)

Jeff
Like?
Indeed..

PhotoKhan wrote:

Just Having Fun wrote:

Ahh...yes, that's wireless flash photography in a completely, radically different approach...I see the light now! (...lower UHF frequencies are so not-cool...)

Hey, we "thick", un-cool people are like that, sorry...but I do have my black turtleneck on order, so there's some hope I will be able to "understand" every old solutions as adapted for smartphones for the true glorious revolutions they actually seem to be, in the near feature.

...I must say, that turtleneck on the mail, I can already feel some "buzz" imagining the new iReflector.

PK

-- hide signature --

(PBase Supporter)

that, in a nutshell, is how they manage to create a new market for themselves while their competitors stand by watching.

PhotoKhan
Like?
Re: Indeed..
In reply to Jeff, May 24, 2013

Jeff wrote:

PhotoKhan wrote:

Just Having Fun wrote:

PK

-- hide signature --

(PBase Supporter)

that, in a nutshell, is how they manage to create a new market for themselves while their competitors stand by watching.

You mean, patenting decade old ideas?...Well, that's a way, yes...

...but Neapolitan, Calabrian and Sicilian families also created a "new market" for themselves with less than scrupulous methods in the late 19th century so, even there, it's not like Apple is an innovator.

PK

-- hide signature --

(PBase Supporter)

PhotoKhan
Like?
Re: Is Apple getting people by their brain-balls?
In reply to bosjohn21, May 24, 2013

bosjohn21 wrote:

please stop beating around the bush equivocating and waffling and tell us what you really think of Apple

-- hide signature --

John aka bosjohn21

Already did, above.

PK

-- hide signature --

(PBase Supporter)

69chevy
Senior MemberPosts: 1,534
Like?

PhotoKhan wrote:

-- hide signature --

(PBase Supporter)

The 7D was the first Canon body to be able to control Speedlites wirelessly without the use of a Master Speedlite or IR transmitter.

It was accomplished using a technology that Canon patented.

Just Having Fun
Like?
No, it means the "get it"

PhotoKhan wrote:

Just Having Fun wrote:

I get it. It maybe certainly useful for smartphone photographers, depending on how it will be actually implemented.

...but it still is wireless flash photography.

Trying to patent that is just opportunistic. DPR being "intrigued with the idea", it's just sad.

PK

-- hide signature --

(PBase Supporter)

Actually for DPR, it means they "get it".  They can quickly see how great an idea it is, and the implications it has for all photography.  Like I said, if I am with a group of friends who hall have cameras with flashes, why the heck would I also carry around another bag of flashes?  Also, how cool will it be when your camera can graphically show the best placement of the various flashes, no matter how many and in any situation.

This reminds me of the guy who created an e-mail app that let you swipe left to delete an e-mail, swipe write to save, swipe down to reply, etc.  He sold the idea for $100 million this year before he could even release the app to the public.   Why?  Because someone understood how great and simple the idea was.

Just Having Fun
Like?
Re: There was nothing stopping C/N from doing the same thing ...
In reply to Jeff, May 24, 2013

C and N would rather you buy their flashes at $300+ each rather than "borrow"  all your friends flashes that are there in the same room/location with you.

Jeff
Like?

PhotoKhan wrote:

Jeff wrote:

PhotoKhan wrote:

Just Having Fun wrote:

PK

-- hide signature --

(PBase Supporter)

...but Neapolitan, Calabrian and Sicilian families also created a "new market" for themselves with less than scrupulous methods in the late 19th century so, even there, it's not like Apple is an innovator.

PK

No, I meant the crippling arrogance of their competitors and other observers.

They are innovators.  Great products.  Not much basic R&D but who needs that when they either buy it, lease it, copy it. But you can deny the product innovation they create and deliver to a mass market. What's stunning is how they consistently pull together technology developed by others, walk into a market ignored or dominated by others, and walk away with the crown.  They've done in computers, music, mobile, and cameras.

Mike Walters
Contributing MemberPosts: 652
Like?

PhotoKhan wrote:

Mike Walters wrote:

Obviously Nikon stole their iTTL from Apple...........

They should have anted the parade and go for Canon's ETTL-II

(...3, 2, 1...countdown for brand war...lol...)

PK

-- hide signature --

(PBase Supporter)

But why would they want to settle for second best?

Midwest
Forum ProPosts: 14,151
Like?
In reply to bosjohn21, May 24, 2013

bosjohn21 wrote:

Apple bashing is so much fun it brings out the best in everyone. My goodness such vitriol if you dont like apple your free not to buy it. If it's your mission to proselytise to the heathen how big and bad apple is fine but then you need a pulpit or at least a dirty soap box. Apple bashing is passé no one cares any more.

I was never an Apple person, still am not regarding my own computer needs as an IT professional, but I am totally sold on my iPhone.

I needed and wanted a capable, reliable phone, not another flipping hobby toy, and that's what I got from Apple. And when the first phone was three years old I sold it for a good chunk of what it cost me in the first place, a nice plus.

Drawback: you might get mugged for your iPhone but nobody wants an Android that badly.

Mike Walters
Contributing MemberPosts: 652
Like?

I can just imagine getting a bunch of iPhone users coordinated to hold their iPhones up as flashes, it would be hilarious...'I wanna take the photo'...'No I wanna do it'.....'no no no i wanna do it'.....'oh oh can I highlight the hair'....'no I wanna do that' ...'why were you holding your phone the wrong way round?'...'er dunno but cant see anything right now'....'hang on, hold fire, I gotta take a call'...'oh yeah, and I have a text I need to read'....'This is sooo cool, I must tweet everyone'

Just Having Fun
Like?
In reply to Mike Walters, May 24, 2013

Mike Walters wrote:

....'oh oh can I highlight the hair'....'no I wanna do that' ...'why were you holding your phone the wrong way round?'...

um, you don't understand how it would work do you.

Midwest
Like?
In reply to vzlnc, May 24, 2013

vzlnc wrote:

Substance has got nothing to do with market success. Look at the latest movies, songs etc. Marketing can build hype and deceive public in buying an inferior product, and it can also create some kind of intangible cooth around such brands that public will be convinced that it is the best.

Let's see, who was selling a smartphone in any way like Apple's iPhone before they introduced their 'inferior product' which has become the basic model for just about every other cell phone?

Who was that? It was... nobody, if I recall correctly.

Too bad their inferior iPhone knocked out all those fold-open phones with their breakable hinges and little tiny buttons and tiny screens to navigate with menus to do everything.

Midwest
Like?
In reply to Draek, May 24, 2013

Draek wrote:

Hardly news. Google around and you'll see reports of Apple, Microsoft et al patenting technology that appeared over 20 years back in UNIX, doubly offensive since patents only last for 20 years to begin with.

Fact is, anyone who knows anything about it asserts the USPTO sucks. Be it because they're understaffed, ignorant of technology, or because the companies are intentionally overloading them with bogus patents in attempts to see what sticks, regardless of the reason the simple fact is that they do a terrible job at filtering worthy inventions from the trash, and that only worsens the problems inherent to the US Patent system itself.

Our patent system makes much less difference with countries like China stealing and cloning our products.

vzlnc
Regular MemberPosts: 199
Like?
In reply to Midwest, May 24, 2013

Midwest wrote:

vzlnc wrote:

Substance has got nothing to do with market success. Look at the latest movies, songs etc. Marketing can build hype and deceive public in buying an inferior product, and it can also create some kind of intangible cooth around such brands that public will be convinced that it is the best.

Let's see, who was selling a smartphone in any way like Apple's iPhone before they introduced their 'inferior product' which has become the basic model for just about every other cell phone?

Who was that? It was... nobody, if I recall correctly.

Too bad their inferior iPhone knocked out all those fold-open phones with their breakable hinges and little tiny buttons and tiny screens to navigate with menus to do everything.

Nokia had more technologically advanced smart phones based on Symbian OS. They had lot of rough edges though and somehow couldnt enter the American market.

PhotoKhan
Like?
In reply to Mike Walters, May 24, 2013

Mike Walters wrote:

PhotoKhan wrote:

Mike Walters wrote:

Obviously Nikon stole their iTTL from Apple...........

They should have anted the parade and go for Canon's ETTL-II

(...3, 2, 1...countdown for brand war...lol...)

PK

-- hide signature --

(PBase Supporter)

But why would they want to settle for second best?

LOL...Well played...loved that.

I actually never used the Nikon one. One of the problems I've noticed with Canon's is that a lot of people really don't go into the trouble of studying it and then "find" it lacking.

I have a hunch that both systems probably very similar with different strengths and weaknesses but, probably, averaging them out.

It might very well be the case that Nikon users are more "serious" about photography, less impulsive and actually wanting to know how and learn things work.

Myself, I love Canon's EOS ETTL-II.

PK

-- hide signature --

(PBase Supporter)

PhotoKhan
Like?
In reply to Midwest, May 24, 2013

Midwest wrote:

bosjohn21 wrote:

Apple bashing is so much fun it brings out the best in everyone. My goodness such vitriol if you dont like apple your free not to buy it. If it's your mission to proselytise to the heathen how big and bad apple is fine but then you need a pulpit or at least a dirty soap box. Apple bashing is passé no one cares any more.

And when the first phone was three years old I sold it for a good chunk of what it cost me in the first place, a nice plus.

This is one great plus of Apple's products, undeniably.

Drawback: you might get mugged for your iPhone but nobody wants an Android that badly.

No, you might also get knocked on the head for an S4...The other lAndroid's, the ones that no mugger would care for, are, precisely, what makes the platform strong against Apple's, why Apple is getting their ass kicked throughout the world.

Apple tells you "get this or sod off". Android says: "What are your needs? What is your budget? These are the products for you".

The other day, one of the most proselytizing Apple fans I know, one that is constantly referencing how wonderful his life is because of Apple, suddenly pulled a Sony Experia from his pocket.

I went "What...!?...Am I seeing right?... a SONY !?...".

His half-muttered words..."Well, I needed a dual-sim phone, so...".

PK

-- hide signature --

(PBase Supporter)

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads