Is Apple getting people by their brain-balls?

Started May 24, 2013 | Discussions
PhotoKhan
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,922Gear list
Like?
Is Apple getting people by their brain-balls?
May 24, 2013

This appeared in the news section. It's, it seems, an Apple submitted patent.

Apparently, DPR did not recognize it as wireless flash setup stating an extraordinary "We're intrigued by the idea".

...or maybe it did recognize it but were mesmerized by the putative extra capabilities listed in the submitted patent like, "a graphical user interface to be used to preview test shots" (read, touch screen preview) or the "impromptu setup to offer instructions to the photographer/subject 'to move in a particular direction, for a particular distance, to angle or move the device in a certain manner, and so forth" (read, obviously necessary scene directing instructions for otherwise clueless multi-strobes photography soccer mothers).

Why the continuous demonstrations of awe, like this DPR one, at a manufacturer that keeps throwing about this very same, repeated foul-smelling stunt?:

Offering what already exists, disguised as "coolness", to be presented in a KNA by whoever is the new black turtleneck guru in charge, brainwashed audience going "Wooow!", while at the same time having the actual nerve to "patent" that very same already-existing thing, so they can later litigate competitors to their knees, the legal system not even taking notice that they were NOT the "inventors" in the first place.

Myself, I am anxiously awaiting the coming Apple's "Social Mirror Based Image Capture System".

(...good grief...)

PK

-- hide signature --

“Loose praise may feed my ego but constructive criticism advances my skills”
-------------------------------------------------
http://www.pbase.com/photokhan
(PBase Supporter)

Mike_PEAT
Forum ProPosts: 10,181Gear list
Like?
iPad/iPhone screen lighing up a scene on a sunny day?
In reply to PhotoKhan, May 24, 2013

On a sunny day it's difficult to read the screen without full brightness...how is the display expected to light up a scene on a sunny day?

Mike_PEAT's gear list:Mike_PEAT's gear list
Lytro Light Field 16GB
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Mike Walters
Contributing MemberPosts: 604
Like?
Re: Is Apple getting people by their brain-balls?

Obviously Nikon stole their iTTL from Apple...........

PhotoKhan
Like?
Re: iPad/iPhone screen lighing up a scene on a sunny day?
In reply to Mike_PEAT, May 24, 2013

Mike_PEAT wrote:

On a sunny day it's difficult to read the screen without full brightness...how is the display expected to light up a scene on a sunny day?

I smell an iShade...

PK

-- hide signature --

(PBase Supporter)

PhotoKhan
Like?
In reply to Mike Walters, May 24, 2013

Mike Walters wrote:

Obviously Nikon stole their iTTL from Apple...........

They should have anted the parade and go for Canon's ETTL-II

(...3, 2, 1...countdown for brand war...lol...)

PK

-- hide signature --

(PBase Supporter)

PhotoKhan
Like?
Wow...!

...2 "Likes".

...2 intelligent replies.

...no flaming.

Can it be that people are actually wising up and it's actually DPR/Connect who are been left behind...?

PK

-- hide signature --

(PBase Supporter)

wchutt
Senior MemberPosts: 1,264Gear list
Like?

So your basic premiss is Apple has accumulated more than $100 billion in cash reserves by through plagiarism  and  deceit?

Why can't other companies make this much surplus profit  through  authentic and innovative business plans? Surely, over time, substance trumps vapor in the marketplace.

You have to admit Apple is an amazing company if they can earn $100 billion dollars more than they need by only copying others and producing significantly inferior products and services.  Does it make sense Apple could  enjoy this level of  success for an extended period of  time  depending only on marketing and public relations trickery?  Not only did they fool counless consumers but they also fooled thousands of professional investment fund managers.

wchutt's gear list:wchutt's gear list
Fujifilm X-Pro1 Fujifilm X-T1 Fujifilm XF 18mm F2 R Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R +20 more
PhotoKhan
Like?
In reply to wchutt, May 24, 2013

wchutt wrote:

So your basic premiss is Apple has accumulated more than $100 billion in cash reserves by through plagiarism  and  deceit?

Why can't other companies make this much surplus profit  through  authentic and innovative business plans? Surely, over time, substance trumps vapor in the marketplace.

You have to admit Apple is an amazing company if they can earn $100 billion dollars more than they need by only copying others and producing significantly inferior products and services.  Does it make sense Apple could  enjoy this level of  success for an extended period of  time  depending only on marketing and public relations trickery?  Not only did they fool counless consumers but they also fooled thousands of professional investment fund managers.

...I do admit.

Now let's go for a little mental workout (...as underrated as it is to physical ones...).

Look around you. Right there, wherever you are.

Can you see, red, yellow, blue, green, a million colors, in addition to just black and white...?...You can...?...Good!

Now, could it be possible they do make excellent products and are also douchbags?

...Do you find there might be a remote, tiny, tiny, non-methapysical but rather very tangible possibility that dual "truth" might occur?

PK

-- hide signature --

(PBase Supporter)

Draek
Senior MemberPosts: 2,028Gear list
Like?

Hardly news. Google around and you'll see reports of Apple, Microsoft et al patenting technology that appeared over 20 years back in UNIX, doubly offensive since patents only last for 20 years to begin with.

Fact is, anyone who knows anything about it asserts the USPTO sucks. Be it because they're understaffed, ignorant of technology, or because the companies are intentionally overloading them with bogus patents in attempts to see what sticks, regardless of the reason the simple fact is that they do a terrible job at filtering worthy inventions from the trash, and that only worsens the problems inherent to the US Patent system itself.

Draek's gear list:Draek's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix F70EXR Samsung TL500 Canon PowerShot A1200 Sony Alpha DSLR-A390
Draek
Senior MemberPosts: 2,028Gear list
Like?

wchutt wrote:

Well, yes. Only they call it "marketing".

HAHAHAHAHAHA! no.

You have to admit Apple is an amazing company if they can earn $100 billion dollars more than they need by only copying others and producing significantly inferior products and services.

Well, yes; marketing is pretty amazing like that. It makes untalented hacks make more in a single day than professional orchestras make in a whole year, gave control of the world to a BASIC developer with nothing but some business savvy and a thorough lack of morals, and it made a giant out of an electronics manufacturer whose business model is packaging three-years-old technology in a shiny new package then raise the price tag to three times its original value.

The real beauty about marketing is that, if you successfully sell the idea that your product is perfect, whenever your users find a problem with it they don't criticize you for lying to them; they blame themselves for failing to understand your perfect product! Try the following mental excercise: how many times you've heard, during the last year, an Apple user bemoaning some fault within OSX? and yet, by bug count, number of support calls in heterogeneous enviroments and every other objective measure we have, it's at best just as good as Windows.

Does it make sense Apple could  enjoy this level of  success for an extended period of  time  depending only on marketing and public relations trickery?

Well, yes. The RIAA is still going strong as well, aren't they?

Not only did they fool counless consumers but they also fooled thousands of professional investment fund managers.

Well, yes.

Draek's gear list:Draek's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix F70EXR Samsung TL500 Canon PowerShot A1200 Sony Alpha DSLR-A390
vzlnc
Regular MemberPosts: 191
Like?

wchutt wrote:

Substance has got nothing to do with market success. Look at the latest movies, songs etc. Marketing can build hype and deceive public in buying an inferior product, and it can also create some kind of intangible cooth around such brands that public will be convinced that it is the best.

bosjohn21
Senior MemberPosts: 5,063
Like?

PhotoKhan wrote:

Apparently, DPR did not recognize it as wireless flash setup stating an extraordinary "We're intrigued by the idea".

...or maybe it did recognize it but were mesmerized by the putative extra capabilities listed in the submitted patent like, "a graphical user interface to be used to preview test shots" (read, touch screen preview) or the "impromptu setup to offer instructions to the photographer/subject 'to move in a particular direction, for a particular distance, to angle or move the device in a certain manner, and so forth" (read, obviously necessary scene directing instructions for otherwise clueless multi-strobes photography soccer mothers).

Why the continuous demonstrations of awe, like this DPR one, at a manufacturer that keeps throwing about this very same, repeated foul-smelling stunt?:

Offering what already exists, disguised as "coolness", to be presented in a KNA by whoever is the new black turtleneck guru in charge, brainwashed audience going "Wooow!", while at the same time having the actual nerve to "patent" that very same already-existing thing, so they can later litigate competitors to their knees, the legal system not even taking notice that they were NOT the "inventors" in the first place.

Myself, I am anxiously awaiting the coming Apple's "Social Mirror Based Image Capture System".

(...good grief...)

PK

-- hide signature --

(PBase Supporter)

please stop beating around the bush equivocating and waffling and tell us what you really think of Apple

-- hide signature --

John aka bosjohn21

bosjohn21
Senior MemberPosts: 5,063
Like?
In reply to Draek, May 24, 2013

Apple bashing is so much fun it brings out the best in everyone. My goodness such vitriol if you dont like apple your free not to buy it. If it's your mission to proselytise to the heathen how big and bad apple is fine but then you need a pulpit or at least a dirty soap box. Apple bashing is passé no one cares any more.

-- hide signature --

John aka bosjohn21

69chevy
Senior MemberPosts: 1,369
Like?

PhotoKhan wrote:

(...good grief...)

PK

-- hide signature --

(PBase Supporter)

So this patent is for something that already exists?

Could you provide a link to this device that syncs the flash of multiple iPhones allowing a single user to take a better picture?

They aren't patenting old tech, they are protecting themselves from someone developing a $.99 app to perform a function that they spent the R&D money on.

I guess when Canon/Nikon patents a new lens design they grab us by the "brain-balls".

Just Having Fun
Senior MemberPosts: 3,869
Like?
It is an incredibly smart idea.

From what I read an iPhone/iPad/IPod will set off all the flashes on nearby devices.

It would be like if your camera could set off ALL the flashes on ALL the other photographers cameras who standing near you at an event.

Why bring a bag full of extra flashes when there is already a bunch available? How often do you even carry a bag of flashes?  How often do you hang out with friends who have smart phones in their pocket?   Pretty easy concept.

PhotoKhan
Like?
Re: It is an incredibly smart idea.
In reply to Just Having Fun, May 24, 2013

Just Having Fun wrote:

From what I read an iPhone/iPad/IPod will set off all the flashes on nearby devices.

It would be like if your camera could set off ALL the flashes on ALL the other photographers cameras who standing near you at an event.

Why bring a bag full of extra flashes when there is already a bunch available? How often do you even carry a bag of flashes?  How often do you hang out with friends who have smart phones in their pocket?   Pretty easy concept.

You'll notice that items 202A through 202C in the drawing have a cord.

PK

-- hide signature --

(PBase Supporter)

PhotoKhan
Like?
In reply to bosjohn21, May 24, 2013

bosjohn21 wrote:

please stop beating around the bush equivocating and waffling and tell us what you really think of Apple

Err...Already told, in this very same thread.

They make excellent products.

They also are litigating douchbags who love to pass other's, years-old ideas with vaporized hype-scent ideas as their own in mind-numbing, cult-frenzied KNAs.

They now seem to have hypnotized such credible sources as DPR, themselves.

A perfected wireless flash triggering design for portable phones is not something for a photography site editor to be intrigued about . It's just that: A wireless flash triggering system.

PK

-- hide signature --

(PBase Supporter)

69chevy
Senior MemberPosts: 1,369
Like?

PhotoKhan wrote:

PK

-- hide signature --

(PBase Supporter)

Do you mean the squiggly line? If so, the sun has a cord as well.

Just Having Fun
Senior MemberPosts: 3,869
Like?
"the use of wireless technology like Bluetooth or Wi-Fi"

PhotoKhan wrote:

Just Having Fun wrote:

PK

-- hide signature --

(PBase Supporter)

So we should ignore where it says "Apple proposes the use of wireless technology like Bluetooth or Wi-Fi"?

I am starting to think you don't understand this simple/smart concept.

PhotoKhan
Like?
In reply to 69chevy, May 24, 2013

69chevy wrote:

Do you mean the squiggly line? If so, the sun has a cord as well.

You're right. It seems to be a connecting line from the designator to the item.

PK

-- hide signature --

(PBase Supporter)

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads