D7100 at Indianapolis Motor Speedway

Started May 24, 2013 | Discussions
cwsiggy
Regular MemberPosts: 166Gear list
Like?
D7100 at Indianapolis Motor Speedway
May 24, 2013

Some shots from the practice session. Was fortunate enough to get a pit pass. Still learning the camera and boy do I need more than a kit 18-105 lens, but for now, it'll have to do... I'm really enjoying the camera and getting back into photography.

Gallery here..

http://www.dpreview.com/galleries/2231007874/albums/indy-500-warmup

some shots...Pit guy from Dario's team saw the look on my face when I was trying to get a shot  and was kind enough to wave me over and let me take a shot over the barrier...

Dario Franchitti testing...

First pan attempt. Car on wrong side obviously. Need more reach and slower shutter speed??

Big Storm was coming near end of day - poured about 4 minutes later....

Storm coming...

Fast

 cwsiggy's gear list:cwsiggy's gear list
Nikon D7100 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-105mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G Tokina AT-X Pro 11-16mm f/2.8 DX II
Nikon D7100
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
starman1969
Senior MemberPosts: 2,603Gear list
Like?
Re: D7100 at Indianapolis Motor Speedway
In reply to cwsiggy, May 24, 2013

Nice pics. The panning shot is pretty good because panning is very hit & miss. Maybe a slightly longer shutter speed but then you need to track the car much more carefully.

-- hide signature --

They are watching us......

 starman1969's gear list:starman1969's gear list
Nikon D800E Nikon D600 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.8G +5 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
nfpotter
Senior MemberPosts: 4,072
Like?
Re: D7100 at Indianapolis Motor Speedway
In reply to starman1969, May 24, 2013

starman1969 wrote:

Nice pics. The panning shot is pretty good because panning is very hit & miss. Maybe a slightly longer shutter speed but then you need to track the car much more carefully.

-- hide signature --

They are watching us......

Thanks for explaining why that was good.  Not.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
nfpotter
Senior MemberPosts: 4,072
Like?
Re: D7100 at Indianapolis Motor Speedway
In reply to cwsiggy, May 24, 2013

You're 3rd of the 4 is a GREAT pic.  Good art.  Good job!

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
BlueJakester
Senior MemberPosts: 1,714Gear list
Like?
Re: D7100 at Indianapolis Motor Speedway
In reply to nfpotter, May 24, 2013

Nice photos. I look forward to watching the Indy 500 every year.

I'm a novice photographer so no advice for you. I imagine shooting the fast action of the Indy 500 would be one of the more difficult undertakings.

 BlueJakester's gear list:BlueJakester's gear list
Fujifilm X-E1 Nikon D5200 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G VR Sigma 10-20mm F4-5.6 EX DC HSM +2 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
pixd90
Senior MemberPosts: 1,208Gear list
Like?
Re: D7100 at Indianapolis Motor Speedway
In reply to cwsiggy, May 24, 2013

Also great pictures in your gallery. Thanks for sharing. See your in Philly, don't miss the "color run" on July 14th.

 pixd90's gear list:pixd90's gear list
Nikon D90 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-105mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
blurredvision
Regular MemberPosts: 392Gear list
Like?
Re: D7100 at Indianapolis Motor Speedway
In reply to pixd90, May 24, 2013

pixd90 wrote:

Also great pictures in your gallery. Thanks for sharing. See your in Philly, don't miss the "color run" on July 14th.

Might want to rethink that...

http://www.lensrentals.com/blog/2013/05/how-to-ruin-your-gear-in-5-minutes-without-water

 blurredvision's gear list:blurredvision's gear list
Nikon D50 Nikon D7100 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G II Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D +8 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
pixd90
Senior MemberPosts: 1,208Gear list
Like?
Re: D7100 at Indianapolis Motor Speedway
In reply to blurredvision, May 24, 2013

blurredvision wrote:

pixd90 wrote:

Also great pictures in your gallery. Thanks for sharing. See your in Philly, don't miss the "color run" on July 14th.

Might want to rethink that...

http://www.lensrentals.com/blog/2013/05/how-to-ruin-your-gear-in-5-minutes-without-water

I was at the color run in Philly and am sure that the equipment shown on lens rental was in the middle of the foray. Like the renters are going to admit it.

I stayed downwind and got some great shots. There is also an overpass that you can shoot from.

 pixd90's gear list:pixd90's gear list
Nikon D90 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-105mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
vancleef58
Forum MemberPosts: 68
Like?
Re: D7100 at Indianapolis Motor Speedway
In reply to cwsiggy, May 24, 2013

Very sharp looking forward to getting my D7100:-)

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
cwsiggy
Regular MemberPosts: 166Gear list
Like?
Re: D7100 at Indianapolis Motor Speedway
In reply to pixd90, May 24, 2013

pixd90 wrote:

blurredvision wrote:

pixd90 wrote:

Also great pictures in your gallery. Thanks for sharing. See your in Philly, don't miss the "color run" on July 14th.

Might want to rethink that...

http://www.lensrentals.com/blog/2013/05/how-to-ruin-your-gear-in-5-minutes-without-water

I was at the color run in Philly and am sure that the equipment shown on lens rental was in the middle of the foray. Like the renters are going to admit it.

I stayed downwind and got some great shots. There is also an overpass that you can shoot from.

Ouch... my camera will be far away from this one... lol    Never heard of this event.

 cwsiggy's gear list:cwsiggy's gear list
Nikon D7100 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-105mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G Tokina AT-X Pro 11-16mm f/2.8 DX II
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
cwsiggy
Regular MemberPosts: 166Gear list
Like?
Re: D7100 at Indianapolis Motor Speedway
In reply to cwsiggy, May 24, 2013

Thanks for the comments everyone.  FYI  - there was quite a bit of Lightroom action going on, - sharpening, boost this , boost that, reduce this and that... but I'm pleased with the camera overall.   Gonna try for the full moon shots this weekend.. weather permitting..   must... get... more lenses.....

 cwsiggy's gear list:cwsiggy's gear list
Nikon D7100 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-105mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G Tokina AT-X Pro 11-16mm f/2.8 DX II
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
pixd90
Senior MemberPosts: 1,208Gear list
Like?
Re: D7100 at Indianapolis Motor Speedway
In reply to cwsiggy, May 24, 2013

cwsiggy wrote:

pixd90 wrote:

blurredvision wrote:

pixd90 wrote:

Also great pictures in your gallery. Thanks for sharing. See your in Philly, don't miss the "color run" on July 14th.

Might want to rethink that...

http://www.lensrentals.com/blog/2013/05/how-to-ruin-your-gear-in-5-minutes-without-water

I was at the color run in Philly and am sure that the equipment shown on lens rental was in the middle of the foray. Like the renters are going to admit it.

I stayed downwind and got some great shots. There is also an overpass that you can shoot from.

Ouch... my camera will be far away from this one... lol    Never heard of this event.

Ok, then how about the Philly nude bike run.

 pixd90's gear list:pixd90's gear list
Nikon D90 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-105mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads