about new XF55/200: I've seen only now

Started May 23, 2013 | Discussions
PeterPrism
Senior MemberPosts: 1,055Gear list
Like?
about new XF55/200: I've seen only now
May 23, 2013

"The extending section is made from high-quality plastic" ?!?

source DPR: http://www.dpreview.com/previews/fujifilm-55-200-3p5-4p8/2

Why this damned sort of "high-qualityPLASTIC, don't tell me for the WEIGHT; FUJI you betray my deep faith in your creed.

See the horrible fusion line under my orange written, only to think of touching it with the hands I'm already sick...

damn lightweight and cheap plastic, who invented to  you?

PeterPrism's gear list:PeterPrism's gear list
Fujifilm X-Pro1 Fujifilm XF 18mm F2 R Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 60mm F2.4 R Macro
Travelshooter
Senior MemberPosts: 1,400Gear list
Like?
Re: about new XF55/200: I've seen only now
In reply to PeterPrism, May 23, 2013

The dashboards of 2.7 billion cars now have a brother.

Travelshooter's gear list:Travelshooter's gear list
Canon PowerShot S95 Fujifilm X-Pro1 +10 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
PeterPrism
Like?
In reply to Travelshooter, May 23, 2013

Travelshooter wrote:

The dashboards of 2.7 billion cars now have a brother.

damn but fuji works for ford?

Fujifilm X-Pro1 Fujifilm XF 18mm F2 R Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 60mm F2.4 R Macro
ScottD1964
Contributing MemberPosts: 884Gear list
Like?

PeterPrism wrote:

"The extending section is made from high-quality plastic" ?!?

source DPR: http://www.dpreview.com/previews/fujifilm-55-200-3p5-4p8/2

Why this damned sort of "high-qualityPLASTIC, don't tell me for the WEIGHT; FUJI you betray my deep faith in your creed.

See the horrible fusion line under my orange written, only to think of touching it with the hands I'm already sick...

damn lightweight and cheap plastic, who invented to  you?

Would you rather the outer barrel be plastic too so they match?

I actually wish they'd have designed the lens with an internal zoom mechanism. Oh well.

ScottD1964's gear list:ScottD1964's gear list
Fujifilm X100S Fujifilm X-E2 Fujifilm X-T1 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS +1 more
PeterPrism
Like?
In reply to ScottD1964, May 23, 2013

Definitely! and I also expect a Xpro2 of beautiful red plastic.

PeterPrism
Like?

I am convinced that these are missteps that Leica does not commit.

Al Valentino
Senior MemberPosts: 4,351Gear list
Like?

It is not very obvious but my fuji 18-55 zoom has the same thing on the underside of the barrel. It doesn't stand out but if you look for it in bright light it is there on the barrel, but not the ring. Same as the picture of the long zoom.

Al Valentino's gear list:Al Valentino's gear list
Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS +8 more
PeterPrism
Like?
In reply to Al Valentino, May 23, 2013

Al Valentino wrote:

It is not very obvious but my fuji 18-55 zoom has the same thing on the underside of the barrel. It doesn't stand out but if you look for it in bright light it is there on the barrel, but not the ring. Same as the picture of the long zoom.

argh sacrilege! the 3 primes are "full metal jacket".

Mark Carr
Senior MemberPosts: 2,043
Like?
In reply to PeterPrism, May 24, 2013

Honestly, I wouldn't worry about it too much. Lots of lenses, particularly the barrels, are made of plastic today, makes them much lighter and easier to carry. The Nikon 50mm 1.8 is made of plastic, you could almost call it flimsy, but its optically wonderful so you just ignore it. I doubt Fuji would put out a poor product, it will impress you once you have it in your hands and take a few snaps!

-- hide signature --

Kind regards,
Mark

Al Valentino
Like?

PeterPrism wrote:

Al Valentino wrote:

argh sacrilege!

actually, on close inspection it occurs 3x, every 120 degrees. At the bottom center and top/sides. So no line on top center making not obvious.

Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS +8 more
Rod McD
Senior MemberPosts: 2,179Gear list
Like?

Plastic comes in a variety of qualities, but I'd expect Fuji to have chosen one for the internal barrel that will fare well if it's built well.  I don't know the design of the lens, but if the inner barrel is a component that moves with focusing, it may be plastic to keep the weight down for the AF motor - ie to keep the AF speed up.   Leica can use designs that don't have to consider weight and heavy damping because their focusing is MF.  They might just be a tad dearer too.....

Personally I'd still like to see a small modestly fast prime of around 90/2 or 100/2.8 in the XF range. Something a significant step up from the 55mm end of the zoom but still small and light in keeping with the mirror-less adavantage.

Cheers, Rod

Rod McD's gear list:Rod McD's gear list
Canon PowerShot G12 Canon PowerShot G1 X Pentax K-5 Fujifilm X-T1
PeterPrism
Like?
In reply to Mark Carr, May 24, 2013

Mark Carr wrote:

Honestly, I wouldn't worry about it too much. Lots of lenses, particularly the barrels, are made of plastic today, makes them much lighter and easier to carry. The Nikon 50mm 1.8 is made of plastic, you could almost call it flimsy, but its optically wonderful so you just ignore it. I doubt Fuji would put out a poor product, it will impress you once you have it in your hands and take a few snaps!

-- hide signature --

Kind regards,
Mark

Mark, Definitely going to be a great product but I am a HUGE fetish and that's why I bought a XPro1; Leica does not make these slips...

PeterPrism
Like?
In reply to Rod McD, May 24, 2013

Rod McD wrote:

Plastic comes in a variety of qualities, but I'd expect Fuji to have chosen one for the internal barrel that will fare well if it's built well.  I don't know the design of the lens, but if the inner barrel is a component that moves with focusing, it may be plastic to keep the weight down for the AF motor - ie to keep the AF speed up.   Leica can use designs that don't have to consider weight and heavy damping because their focusing is MF.  They might just be a tad dearer too.....

Personally I'd still like to see a small modestly fast prime of around 90/2 or 100/2.8 in the XF range. Something a significant step up from the 55mm end of the zoom but still small and light in keeping with the mirror-less adavantage.

Cheers, Rod

Ohhh this can be an intelligent response, the speed of focus may be an acceptable reason for a worshiper of objects as me.

umanemo
Regular MemberPosts: 158Gear list
Like?

Aw, now you've gone and done it...LEICA will raise the price of all of it's lenses even more stratospherically now, because we are all realizing that most other lenses are not made entirely of metal as theirs are! Hummm, If I just had an extra $5,000 laying around.

FUJI X; "Red Dot" quality for a lot less "M"oney!!!  That's exactly why we are all here.

cptrios
Senior MemberPosts: 1,347
Like?

Are there any extending-barrel zooms whose extending barrels aren't plastic? I know that the Canon 70-300mm L, for example, has a plastic extending barrel...but I definitely do not have a wide knowledge of such lenses.

PeterPrism
Like?
In reply to umanemo, May 24, 2013

umanemo wrote:

Aw, now you've gone and done it...LEICA will raise the price of all of it's lenses even more stratospherically now, because we are all realizing that most other lenses are not made entirely of metal as theirs are! Hummm, If I just had an extra $5,000 laying around.

FUJI X; "Red Dot" quality for a lot less "M"oney!!!  That's exactly why we are all here.

I made a crazy mistake!

Al Valentino
Like?
In reply to umanemo, May 24, 2013

umanemo wrote:

Actually, this is exactly what got my attention and there was no turning back. my saying is, 'the Leica I always wanted but a lot better'.  Better AF, ISO, affordable quality, well perhaps not in the barrel, but what the barrel holds does the trick.

i always felt the the feel of the barrel was nothing special but I mostly get annoyed at how the outside is a major dust magnet.

PeterPrism
Like?
In reply to cptrios, May 24, 2013

cptrios wrote:

Are there any extending-barrel zooms whose extending barrels aren't plastic? I know that the Canon 70-300mm L, for example, has a plastic extending barrel...but I definitely do not have a wide knowledge of such lenses.

I'm really obsolete: the lenses in the 80's were all metal, including those from manufacturers such as Tamron, Tokina, Kiron etc. The fact is that the X system is designed (IMO) for people who seek the past in modern. And... in the past a plastic lens does not existed, it was simply a BLASPHEMY!

PeterPrism
Like?
In reply to Al Valentino, May 24, 2013

Al Valentino wrote:

umanemo wrote:

Actually, this is exactly what got my attention and there was no turning back. my saying is, 'the Leica I always wanted but a lot better'.  Better AF, ISO, affordable quality, well perhaps not in the barrel, but what the barrel holds does the trick.

i always felt the the feel of the barrel was nothing special but I mostly get annoyed at how the outside is a major dust magnet.

I agree with both. voted +1

Al Valentino
Like?

PeterPrism wrote:

umanemo wrote:

I made a crazy mistake!

NO!!! Stop looking at the picture of the lens and look at the pictures from the camera. That will make you feel better. Remember, it weighs 2x more than the similar Sony, and also lets in twice the light, a stop faster. The Leica zoom is, oh, they do not have a long lens option at all.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads