Inconceivable! Nikon can't repair my 80-200 AFS!

Started May 23, 2013 | Discussions
Guidenet
Forum ProPosts: 12,729Gear list
Like?
Is this just a mistake?
In reply to KewlEugene, May 25, 2013

KewlEugene wrote:

I don't know how to call Nikon Service and talk to an actual repair guy these days, but way back when Nikon repair guys used to be accessible by phone, they cleaned the insides and fixed my 15-20 year old AFS 70-210/4.0-5.6, AFS 20/2.8, AFS 80-200/2.8, AFS 300/2.8, N2020 AF body, and more, which I then sold on eBay. They held most for years until they found the used parts.

Is this a simple typo or mistake because there is no such thing as an "AFS 70-210/4.0-5.6 or an AFS 20/2.8." Makes me wonder if the other two are AFS as well considering how long ago you're talking about. You sure you don't mean AIS or just AF?

Take care.

-- hide signature --

Cheers, Craig
Follow me on Twitter @craighardingsr : Equipment in Profile

Guidenet's gear list:Guidenet's gear list
Nikon D300 Nikon D700 Nikon D3S Nikon D800 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6G ED-IF +24 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Nikonparrothead
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,105Gear list
Like?
Re: United Breaks Guitars
In reply to Guidenet, May 25, 2013

Sorry if I offended

-- hide signature --

'Nice pen, bet you write good stories with it.'

Nikonparrothead's gear list:Nikonparrothead's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-TZ1 Canon PowerShot S95 Fujifilm FinePix X100 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1 Nikon D3S +11 more
coudet
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,814
Like?
Re: Inconceivable! Nikon can't repair my 80-200 AFS!
In reply to r e cummings, May 26, 2013

r e cummings wrote:

I told them that my 80-200 afs stopped focusing and more than likely had a dead focus motor. They had me send it to them. Status of my repair is "• PARTS NO LONGER AVAILABLE • NO REPAIR item shipped". How is this even possible?

Not only is it possible, it's quite normal and not just with Nikon. Manufacturers will support a discontinued product up to a point and until spare parts are available, but not forever..

KewlEugene
Regular MemberPosts: 306
Like?
Re: Is this just a mistake?
In reply to Guidenet, May 26, 2013

It's a typo. Nikon El Segundo fixed all those. Also I hear companies don't have to keep parts for more than 10 years.

Gittix
Forum MemberPosts: 55Gear list
Like?
Not just Nikon.
In reply to r e cummings, May 27, 2013

I am in the car business and just to let you know, other companies are getting the same way. Since auto companies have gone to coded keys for ignition switches, most companies keep a database of key codes available to the owner. So with the VIN and proof of ownership to the dealer, an owner can have a key made. However, Ford has decided to only keep codes for 10 years.

If you have a Ford over 10 years old and lose or break the key, your only option is to have a locksmith make a key and have it towed to a Ford dealer for programming. This is a ridiculous expense for something as basic as a key. How difficult would it be to maintain the database for older vehicles? Considering the ease of keeping these codes and vehicles lasting longer and longer, this is horrible customer service. So if you have an older Ford with anti-theft, go make yourself an extra key!

Gittix's gear list:Gittix's gear list
Nikon D3S Nikon D7000 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-105mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II Nikon AF-S Nikkor 17-35mm f/2.8D ED-IF +5 more
pdxflint
Forum MemberPosts: 77Gear list
Like?
In reply to r e cummings, May 29, 2013

It does appear that there are some motors available for a couple hundred bucks, and that the ones for the 80-200AF-S are the same as the ones for the 28-70AF-S. Not sure if these are original Nikon or not, but at least it looks like there is a source for these things.
Meanwhile... I'm sticking with my AF-D 2-ring workhorse...

http://www.partshe.com/catalog/product/view/id/4409/s/oem-28-70mm-swm-80-200mm-2-8-silent-wave-motor-unit-new-repair-part-made-to-fit-nikon-af-s/

pdxflint's gear list:pdxflint's gear list
Nikon D300 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 17-55mm f/2.8G ED-IF Nikon AF-S Nikkor 300mm f/4D ED-IF Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D Tokina AT-X Pro 12-24mm f/4 (IF) DX +1 more
Tim the Grey
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,310
Like?
In reply to Cytokine, May 29, 2013

Now I'm scared! I just received a used AF-S 80-200, and it squeaks like a b*stard...

It was pretty cheap, so I MAY just bite the repair, and overhaul, but how long before I have a paperweight???

-- hide signature --

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2443/3633920342_94e2b30000_s.jpg
The world's best Vulcan, XH558, after 14 years on the ground, lives again.
www.tvoc.co.uk
http://www.flickr.com/photos/sandfish_imagining/

sean kendrick
Forum MemberPosts: 55
Like?
In reply to r e cummings, May 31, 2013

I told them that my 80-200 afs stopped focusing and more than likely had a dead focus motor. They had me send it to them. Status of my repair is "• PARTS NO LONGER AVAILABLE • NO REPAIR item shipped". How is this even possible? This was their premier zoom, and only went out of production in 2004. All I can say is LAME! Very sad because this is such a fantastic lens.

will they not give you a comparable lens? especially if it's still under warranty

r e cummings
Regular MemberPosts: 207
Like?
In reply to sean kendrick, May 31, 2013

No warranty. Stopped production 9 years ago.

kayone
Regular MemberPosts: 316Gear list
Like?
In reply to dwa1, May 31, 2013

dwa1 wrote:

Definitely not good news. However, I would check with some of the Authorized Nikon Service facilities. Perhaps one of them may have the part in stock? My first choice is always APS in Chicago.

http://nikoncamerarepair.com/

I wish you well in getting your lens repaired.

Wayne

an authorized Nikon service facility will likely order the needed parts directly from Nikon, and if the HQ service center does not have the parts, I doubt a 3rd party authorized center will either.

samminik
New MemberPosts: 3
Like?
In reply to r e cummings, May 31, 2013

I have a slightly used Nikon ED - AF Kikkor 80-2--mm 1:2.8 D made in Japan lens for sale. Anyone interested.

r e cummings
Like?
In reply to kayone, Jun 1, 2013

kayone wrote:

dwa1 wrote:

Definitely not good news. However, I would check with some of the Authorized Nikon Service facilities. Perhaps one of them may have the part in stock? My first choice is always APS in Chicago.

http://nikoncamerarepair.com/

I wish you well in getting your lens repaired.

Wayne

an authorized Nikon service facility will likely order the needed parts directly from Nikon, and if the HQ service center does not have the parts, I doubt a 3rd party authorized center will either.

Already found a 3rd party authorized center that has the parts. :~)

r e cummings
Like?
In reply to r e cummings, Jun 27, 2013

Midwest Camera Repair had the parts and replaced focus motor, focus sensor, clean, lube and calibrate for $420. :~) If Nikon had even had the parts, they would have charged over $600.

Cytokine
Contributing MemberPosts: 626
Like?

r e cummings wrote:

Midwest Camera Repair had the parts and replaced focus motor, focus sensor, clean, lube and calibrate for $420. :~) If Nikon had even had the parts, they would have charged over $600.

Thats a really good outcome, well done! John

lac111
Senior MemberPosts: 2,772Gear list
Like?

That's a great outcome, I wondered what was going on with that.

-- hide signature --

Lora
Profile is wrong, I've been on Dpreview since June 2006.

sean kendrick
Forum MemberPosts: 55
Like?
In reply to samminik, Jun 27, 2013

I have a slightly used Nikon ED - AF Kikkor 80-2--mm 1:2.8 D made in Japan lens for sale. Anyone interested.

I'd be interested.

KewlEugene
Regular MemberPosts: 306
Like?
10 years
In reply to Guidenet, Jun 27, 2013

Mfgs only keep parts for 10 year old products. Then it's up to repair shops to fix older gear. Because of technology, repairable cameras and lenses are fading away, likewise repair shops are rapidly vanishing. But we have the internet to communicate where the remaining good repair shops still are. So not all is lost.

iso800
New MemberPosts: 18
Like?
Re: 10 years
In reply to KewlEugene, Jul 11, 2013

I must be lucky I've just had my 80-200 AFS lens repaired by Fixation in London.

I purchased the lens from Grey's of Westminster with 12 month warranty didn't think that Grey's would be willing to pay for the repair, I only had the lens about 5-6 months when the lens would stop focusing or focus intermittently, it wasn't a cheap repair but Grey's of Westminster gave the go ahead.

Had to wait for parts from Japan so took about a month in total. The parts replaced was the SWM unit, DC-DC converter and a Contact unit 10. Had the lens on Tuesday and all seems fine seems to focus faster, quieter and smother than before so I'm very happy and lucky to get parts.

Thanks to Grey's of Westminster and  Fixation for the repair.

K

unknown member
(unknown member)
Like?
Re: 10 years Grey's
In reply to iso800, Jul 11, 2013

iso800 wrote:

I must be lucky I've just had my 80-200 AFS lens repaired by Fixation in London.

I purchased the lens from Grey's of Westminster with 12 month warranty didn't think that Grey's would be willing to pay for the repair, I only had the lens about 5-6 months when the lens would stop focusing or focus intermittently, it wasn't a cheap repair but Grey's of Westminster gave the go ahead.

Had to wait for parts from Japan so took about a month in total. The parts replaced was the SWM unit, DC-DC converter and a Contact unit 10. Had the lens on Tuesday and all seems fine seems to focus faster, quieter and smother than before so I'm very happy and lucky to get parts.

Thanks to Grey's of Westminster and Fixation for the repair.

K

From all I have read, Grey's seems a wonderful company.

-- hide signature --

Enjoy.....believe in yourself..

Bajerunner's gear list:Bajerunner's gear list
Nikon D300 Nikon AF-Nikkor 80-200mm f/2.8D ED +8 more
Cope
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,319Gear list
Like?
Re: Nikon can't repair my 80-200 AFS!
In reply to Leonard Shepherd, Jul 11, 2013

Leonard Shepherd wrote:

My notes indicate this lens was withdrawn 10 years ago when the original 70-200 was introduced.

Whether it is reasonable for Nikon to carry parts 10 years later is really what this thread is about.

-- hide signature --

Leonard Shepherd
Many problems turn out to be a lack of intimate knowledge of complex modern camera equipment.

Sadly, the days when manufacturers carried parts for discontinued product are over.

-- hide signature --

Never ask a man where he's from. If he is from Texas, he'll tell you. Otherwise, don't embarrass him.

Cope's gear list:Cope's gear list
Nikon D7000 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 16-85mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G VR Tokina AT-X Pro 12-24mm f/4 (IF) DX +3 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads