2 Sigmas (19&30), or 20mm 1.7

Started May 23, 2013 | Discussions
Alumna Gorp
Senior MemberPosts: 1,531Gear list
Like?
Re: 2 Sigmas (19&30), or 20mm 1.7
In reply to Jere Landis, May 31, 2013

Yes I totally agree as well, the dearest and widest prime I currently own is the Olympus 45mm, I also use a Pany 14mm and a Sigma 19mm and my next lens will probably be the Sigma 60mm.

I`m seeing no advantages using fast lenses with these new sensors.

Alumna Gorp's gear list:Alumna Gorp's gear list
Fujifilm X10 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G2 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF2 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Lumix G 14mm F2.5 ASPH +4 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
QuakeO
Regular MemberPosts: 138Gear list
Like?
In reply to amalric, May 31, 2013

Thanks for your input!

As the OP, I had to choose between the 20mm and two primes for the same price (or lower!). I ended up buying a 30mm, and a body+14mm kit for much less then the 25mm, which was never on the table because of its high price. I will be sure to revisit the thread when my shipments arrive and after I have had some chance to test my purchase.

QuakeO's gear list:QuakeO's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF3 Olympus PEN E-PL5 Panasonic Lumix G 14mm F2.5 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 14-42mm 1:3.5-5.6 II R Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 R +1 more
Droogie45
Regular MemberPosts: 144Gear list
Like?
In reply to jeffharris, May 31, 2013

If you've never used the Sigmas then you have no clue as how nice they really are. I have both and they are my most used (other than my Minolta 50mm). They are very sharp, light and perfect for M43. There is nothing mediocre about them. Excellent value.  Plus how can you argue with included cases and hoods.

Droogie45's gear list:Droogie45's gear list
Olympus PEN E-PL2 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G3 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-42mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS Sigma 30mm F2.8 EX DN Sigma 19mm F2.8 EX DN +7 more
Pic Man
Contributing MemberPosts: 884
Like?
In reply to amalric, May 31, 2013

amalric wrote:

Pic Man wrote: The 19mm might just be a waste of money.

Can't you even read? I mentioned HIGH sensitivity sensors, which offset the need of large apertures, by raising automatically the ISO.

Which in turn reduces the IQ whatever sensor you have. Sure you can shoot at ISO 3200 but I'd rather shoot at ISO 800.

Oh, you grasp the concept. Perhaps you'll slowly understand the implication of clean high ISO.

Or perhaps not. I frequently shoot at f1.4 with a ISO limit of 1600. Over 1600 I think the image degrades more than I like. If your happy shooting at iso 6400 that's fine, it's subjective what you think is too much noise or maybe your camera is just much better than mine.

Therefore no need of fast, but POOR RESOLUTION lenses at max aperture, like the PL, for FIVE times the price of the Sigma - LOL!

But at least it goes to 1.4. It gets much sharper as you stop down even a little and it's still not bad at 1.4. It's not five times the price where I'm from, 3 maybe. Still rather have the 25 and a kit zoom over 4 or 5 sigmas at different focal lengths.

Conversely at 2.8 the PL and the Sigma have the same resolution, so go talk about the waste of money...

Resolution isn't everything. I also didn't say it was a waste of money, I said it might be depending on what you own.

I take pictures, I am not a collector or a braggart. YMMV

I take pictures too. Here's one I took last weekend with the 25mm f1.4.

Maybe we should just agree to disagree.

Am.

-- hide signature --
Jere Landis
Senior MemberPosts: 1,680Gear list
Like?
In reply to Pic Man, May 31, 2013

Your photo here is not good, it is soft, unacceptably so. Few 1.4 lenses, if any, aren't soft at 1.4 to the point of being actually not good at all. Your theories are not thoroughly true. 1.4 is not the only answer to low light shooting. When shooting people, subject movement comes into play and it is tough to do. When shooting inanimate scenes, a tripod is the best answer, 1.4 not even necessary.

Jere Landis's gear list:Jere Landis's gear list
Canon EOS 550D Panasonic Lumix DMC-G10 Olympus PEN E-PL3 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G5 Olympus PEN E-PM2 +11 more
Pic Man
Contributing MemberPosts: 884
Like?
In reply to Jere Landis, May 31, 2013

Jere Landis wrote:

Your photo here is not good, it is soft, unacceptably so. Few 1.4 lenses, if any, aren't soft at 1.4 to the point of being actually not good at all. Your theories are not thoroughly true. 1.4 is not the only answer to low light shooting. When shooting people, subject movement comes into play and it is tough to do.

exactly

When shooting inanimate scenes, a tripod is the best answer, 1.4 not even necessary.

So?

I reduced the clarity in LR on purpose because I felt it suited the scene.

Steve Jamieson
Junior MemberPosts: 44
Like?
In reply to Silvernitrate, May 31, 2013

Silvernitrate wrote:

Najib wrote:

I tried the 19mm Sigma on a GX1 and wasn't too impressed. It's a decent value, but IMO, too much distortion and a bit bulky. I'd rather get one great lens than 2 good lenses. The 20/1.7 is a great lens. Plus, f1.7 is a whole stop faster, and on a smalller sensor it makes for a big difference in DOF and bokeh. Also, it's much better optically, and about half the size of the Sigmas. The only thing better on the Sigmas is the AF speed. Other than that, the 20/1.7 has always been a stellar and highly reputable lens.

If you find distortion, it is easily corrected using LR, there are very few M4/3 lenses profile in my version (3.6) but all the Sigma`s are covered, not that I have ever seen much in the way of distortion with this lens.

Sigma 19 and 30mm LR lens profiles

I find the 19mm surprisingly good optically, sure its a stop slower, but with these new sensors its not going to make a whole load of real world difference.

And the size, yes its bigger than the 20mm pancake, its not really a bad thing, on the very small bodies this lens will give you added support (more to hold on to) and fitted to a GH3 or OMD with grip there are very few real advantages fitting a pancake.

The 19mm also comes with a fitted case and a hood, almost unbelievable considering the low cost of this outfit.

Edit if it was me I would be looking at the new 60mm in place of the 30mm

Hi, Are you sure you are using Lightroom 3.6? I can't find the Sigma 19mm and 30mm profiles in my Lightroom 3.6. Hope you can help. Steve.

Alumna Gorp
Senior MemberPosts: 1,531Gear list
Like?
In reply to Steve Jamieson, May 31, 2013

Look under Sigma.

Lol had a job finding it this time around, highlight custom first.

Alumna Gorp's gear list:Alumna Gorp's gear list
Fujifilm X10 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G2 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF2 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Lumix G 14mm F2.5 ASPH +4 more
Camancha
Contributing MemberPosts: 740
Like?
In reply to Alumna Gorp, May 31, 2013

The two Sigmas are excellent.  I sold my 20mm and I have no regrets so far. The Sigmas are compact (but not pancakes), very sharp and the AF is fast and silent. I am eagerly waiting for the 60mm!

Kind regards
.lars

mh2000
Senior MemberPosts: 2,614
Like?
In reply to Droogie45, Jun 1, 2013

Droogie45 wrote:

If you've never used the Sigmas then you have no clue as how nice they really are. I have both and they are my most used (other than my Minolta 50mm). They are very sharp, light and perfect for M43. There is nothing mediocre about them. Excellent value.  Plus how can you argue with included cases and hoods.

Agreed! My main complaint with the 30 is that it flares similarly to the P20.

-- hide signature --
alfredo_tomato
Senior MemberPosts: 2,569Gear list
Like?
In reply to mh2000, Jun 2, 2013

I bought a cheap hood to fight flare and protect the front element.

alfredo_tomato's gear list:alfredo_tomato's gear list
Olympus PEN E-PL1s Olympus PEN E-PM2 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4.0-5.6 Sigma 30mm F2.8 EX DN Sigma 19mm F2.8 EX DN +4 more
mh2000
Senior MemberPosts: 2,614
Like?
In reply to Silvernitrate, Jun 2, 2013

Silvernitrate wrote:

mh2000 wrote:

grumpyolderman wrote:

The sigmas are really big, the pancake lest you slip you camera in a )large..) pocket, so it is really handy, and second hand should be no problem at all.

JL

The 30 isn't nearly as big as the 19, that's why I have my 30 paired with the Oly 17/2.8 (and have the p14 as well).

-- hide signature --

LOl the 19mm is hardly that much bigger, your splitting hairs here, at least it comes with a hood

Well, it is somewhat bigger than the 30:

http://www.bobatkins.com/photography/reviews/sigma_30_f2-8_and_19_f2-8/Sigma_19mm_30mm_f2-8.jpg

and MUCH bigger than my Oly 17/2.8!

-- hide signature --
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads