2 Sigmas (19&30), or 20mm 1.7

Started May 23, 2013 | Discussions
ed2002
Regular MemberPosts: 254
Like?
Re: 2 Sigmas (19&30), or 20mm 1.7
In reply to QuakeO, May 25, 2013

Is there a henry's in vancouver, or do they ship to the US?  I'll be in vancouver in June and that is a great price

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
QuakeO
Regular MemberPosts: 138Gear list
Like?
Re: my
In reply to mh2000, May 27, 2013
No text.
 QuakeO's gear list:QuakeO's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF3 Olympus PEN E-PL5 Panasonic Lumix G 14mm F2.5 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 14-42mm 1:3.5-5.6 II R Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 R +1 more
QuakeO
Like?
Made my decision
In reply to mh2000, May 27, 2013

I picked up the 14mm for $250 and got a "free" gf3 as a second body.

Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF3 Olympus PEN E-PL5 Panasonic Lumix G 14mm F2.5 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 14-42mm 1:3.5-5.6 II R Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 R +1 more
Ulric
Senior MemberPosts: 2,614Gear list
Like?
Re: Made my decision
In reply to QuakeO, May 27, 2013

QuakeO wrote:

I picked up the 14mm for $250 and got a "free" gf3 as a second body.

That's how I got my GF3! I like it so much that I use it more than the E-M5.

Ulric's gear list:Ulric's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF3 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G 14mm F2.5 ASPH +6 more
jeffharris
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,540Gear list
Like?
In reply to QuakeO, May 27, 2013

QuakeO wrote:

The Sigma lenses are now on sale in Canada for $130 each. The 20mm is $449 (or can be ordered from the US for $350 or so.

Go for pancake and 1.7? For two focal lengths?

A better way to put the question: one excellent lens or two mediocre lenses?

I'd go for one excellent lens.

jeffharris's gear list:jeffharris's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH Voigtlander Nokton 25mm F0.95 Voigtlander Nokton 42.5mm F0.95 Voigtlander Nokton 17.5mm F0.95 Aspherical +25 more
QuakeO
Like?
In reply to bluelemmy, May 29, 2013

I found your review very helpful. I ended up getting the 30mm, and the pan 14mm which came with a body. That way the family walking kit has expanded to an EPL5, GF3, 14mm, 30mm, and 40-140mm. That's pretty good coverage and quality at a good price, I think!

Alumna Gorp
Senior MemberPosts: 1,531Gear list
Like?
In reply to QuakeO, May 29, 2013

QuakeO wrote:

I found your review very helpful. I ended up getting the 30mm, and the pan 14mm which came with a body. That way the family walking kit has expanded to an EPL5, GF3, 14mm, 30mm, and 40-140mm. That's pretty good coverage and quality at a good price, I think!

A lot of those 14mm lenses are cheaper bought in kits

The 14 and the 30 is a good choice.

Alumna Gorp's gear list:Alumna Gorp's gear list
Fujifilm X10 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G2 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF2 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Lumix G 14mm F2.5 ASPH +4 more
amalric
Forum ProPosts: 10,808
Like?
In reply to Alumna Gorp, May 30, 2013

Alumna Gorp wrote:

QuakeO wrote:

And so is the 19mm, which sits in the middle.

Am.

-- hide signature --
Jere Landis
Senior MemberPosts: 1,697Gear list
Like?
In reply to QuakeO, May 30, 2013

How would a prime force you to do anything but be limited to a single focal length. I've heard this bs forever and that is what it is bs.

Jere Landis's gear list:Jere Landis's gear list
Canon EOS 550D Panasonic Lumix DMC-G10 Olympus PEN E-PL3 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G5 Olympus PEN E-PM2 +11 more
Jere Landis
Like?
In reply to Moti, May 30, 2013

Amen, Amen, how true,you are so right on with this post. I'm so tired of hearing how a lens can force you to do this and do that, I'm sick to my stomach with it. I've even heard it said a prime lens will make you a better photographer, WHAT RUBBISH. I've had several primes, including the 20, it's a one trick pony and nothing else. I sold mine and don't miss it. If you shoot in the dark, you could use one,PERHAPS. I did pick up the Sigmas when on sale, both for $199.

Canon EOS 550D Panasonic Lumix DMC-G10 Olympus PEN E-PL3 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G5 Olympus PEN E-PM2 +11 more
Alumna Gorp
Senior MemberPosts: 1,531Gear list
Like?
In reply to amalric, May 30, 2013

amalric wrote:

Alumna Gorp wrote:

QuakeO wrote:

Am.

-- hide signature --

It sure is, I use the 14mm, 19mm and 45mm, my next prime will more than likely be the Sigma 60mm, and I will pass on the 30mm.

We are all different

Alumna Gorp's gear list:Alumna Gorp's gear list
Fujifilm X10 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G2 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF2 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Lumix G 14mm F2.5 ASPH +4 more
tomtom50
Senior MemberPosts: 2,631Gear list
Like?
In reply to ed2002, May 31, 2013

ed2002 wrote:

Is there a henry's in vancouver, or do they ship to the US?  I'll be in vancouver in June and that is a great price

Henry's ships to the US. Everything Olympus is cheaper, I just bought an EPL-5 and the Sigmas and a 40-150 and aVF-3. All told saved $250 over US prices.

tomtom50's gear list:tomtom50's gear list
Sony RX100 Canon EOS M Olympus PEN E-PM2 Sony Alpha NEX-3N
amalric
Like?
In reply to Alumna Gorp, May 31, 2013

Alumna Gorp wrote:

amalric wrote:

Alumna Gorp wrote:

QuakeO wrote:

Am.

-- hide signature --

It sure is, I use the 14mm, 19mm and 45mm, my next prime will more than likely be the Sigma 60mm, and I will pass on the 30mm.

We are all different

Nevertheless it is important to defeat lens snobism. Those lenses are a steal.

Unless you are a bokeh maniac, with a high sensitivity sensor what matters is their resolution wide open, which compares with the best, at a fraction of the price.

Sigma has also increased quality control, to avoid sample variation - I read.

Am.

-- hide signature --
Pic Man
Contributing MemberPosts: 931
Like?
In reply to amalric, May 31, 2013

amalric wrote:

Alumna Gorp wrote:

amalric wrote:

Alumna Gorp wrote:

QuakeO wrote:

Am.

-- hide signature --

We are all different

Unless you are a bokeh maniac, with a high sensitivity sensor what matters is their resolution wide open, which compares with the best, at a fraction of the price.

Am.

-- hide signature --

It's not lens snobism (at least not for everyone). I have a 25 f1.4. It's not just about resolution or even bokeh (although the shallower DOF is nice to have). You can get a significantly faster shutter speed in low light with a f1.4 or even f1.7 than f2.8. The simple fact of the matter is, your paying for the speed. One lens is not better value than the other. Also to say the sigma lenses are a steal depends on your perspective. If you own a panasonic camera you may think that the wide end of the kit zoom is close enough in speed and has OIS. The 19mm might just be a waste of money.

amalric
Like?
In reply to Pic Man, May 31, 2013

Pic Man wrote:

amalric wrote:

Alumna Gorp wrote:

amalric wrote:

Alumna Gorp wrote:

QuakeO wrote:

Am.

-- hide signature --

We are all different

Am.

-- hide signature --

It's not lens snobism (at least not for everyone). I have a 25 f1.4. It's not just about resolution or even bokeh (although the shallower DOF is nice to have). You can get a significantly faster shutter speed in low light with a f1.4 or even f1.7 than f2.8. The simple fact of the matter is, your paying for the speed. One lens is not better value than the other. Also to say the sigma lenses are a steal depends on your perspective. If you own a panasonic camera you may think that the wide end of the kit zoom is close enough in speed and has OIS. The 19mm might just be a waste of money.

Can't you even read? I mentioned HIGH sensitivity sensors, which offset the need of large apertures, by raising automatically the ISO.

Therefore no need of fast, but POOR RESOLUTION lenses at max aperture, like the PL, for FIVE times the price of the Sigma - LOL!

Conversely at 2.8 the PL and the Sigma have the same resolution, so go talk about the waste of money...

Am.

-- hide signature --
Pic Man
Contributing MemberPosts: 931
Like?

amalric wrote:

Pic Man wrote:

amalric wrote:

Alumna Gorp wrote:

amalric wrote:

Alumna Gorp wrote:

QuakeO wrote:

Am.

-- hide signature --

We are all different

Am.

-- hide signature --

Can't you even read? I mentioned HIGH sensitivity sensors, which offset the need of large apertures, by raising automatically the ISO.

Which in turn reduces the IQ whatever sensor you have. Sure you can shoot at ISO 3200 but I'd rather shoot at ISO 800.

Therefore no need of fast, but POOR RESOLUTION lenses at max aperture, like the PL, for FIVE times the price of the Sigma - LOL!

But at least it goes to 1.4. It gets much sharper as you stop down even a little and it's still not bad at 1.4. It's not five times the price where I'm from, 3 maybe. Still rather have the 25 and a kit zoom over 4 or 5 sigmas at different focal lengths.

Conversely at 2.8 the PL and the Sigma have the same resolution, so go talk about the waste of money...

Resolution isn't everything. I also didn't say it was a waste of money, I said it might be depending on what you own.

LOL, oh no wait it's not that funny.

Am.

-- hide signature --
amalric
Like?
In reply to Pic Man, May 31, 2013

Pic Man wrote: The 19mm might just be a waste of money.

Which in turn reduces the IQ whatever sensor you have. Sure you can shoot at ISO 3200 but I'd rather shoot at ISO 800.

Oh, you grasp the concept. Perhaps you'll slowly understand the implication of clean high ISO.

But at least it goes to 1.4. It gets much sharper as you stop down even a little and it's still not bad at 1.4. It's not five times the price where I'm from, 3 maybe. Still rather have the 25 and a kit zoom over 4 or 5 sigmas at different focal lengths.

Resolution isn't everything. I also didn't say it was a waste of money, I said it might be depending on what you own.

I take pictures, I am not a collector or a braggart. YMMV

Am.

-- hide signature --
Archiver
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,256
Like?

No one else has mentioned this, but the Sigma lenses take a few seconds to 'come online' after you start the camera.  On my EM-5 they take three seconds to boot up properly and allow me to shoot, which can often mean losing a spontaneous shot.  The newer m43 lenses from Olympus and Panasonic fire up the second the camera is ready.  I have been told this is because the camera must 'index' the autofocus mechanism each time it starts, and the linear motor design of the Sigma lenses makes this take longer than other lenses.

Apart from that, I find them very reliable and of excellent image quality, exceeding the expected quality for their price.

Just something to be aware of when making a decision.

-- hide signature --

Archiver - Loving Every Image Captured Always
http://www.flickr.com/photos/archiver/

amalric
Like?
In reply to Archiver, May 31, 2013

Are you sure that you updated the FW? Because with my samples I have no problem at all. The startup is hardly longer than the camera's itself.

Am.

-- hide signature --
Jere Landis
Like?

Amalric

Never thought you and I would  totally agree about something, but this is it. You are 100% correct on this subject and I concur. Can't stand lens snobs, sorry but it's true. I'm glad I agree with you.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads