Leica entering m4/3?

Started May 23, 2013 | Discussions
walkaround
Senior MemberPosts: 1,035Gear list
Like?
Re: Nah...
In reply to Dheorl, May 24, 2013

Dheorl wrote:

I don't see much chance of them having a 100% zoom being the only way on manual focus.

Actually I agree with you. But maybe we have a more religious view of Leica than they seem to have of themselves. They are a very opportunistic company, willing to put their name all over low end Japanese compacts in order to make money. So frankly, they are capable of anything.

 walkaround's gear list:walkaround's gear list
Canon ELPH 310 HS Nikon Coolpix P310 Canon PowerShot S110 NEX5R Olympus PEN E-PL5 +6 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Dheorl
Senior MemberPosts: 2,106Gear list
Like?
Re: Nah...
In reply to walkaround, May 24, 2013

walkaround wrote:

Dheorl wrote:

I don't see much chance of them having a 100% zoom being the only way on manual focus.

Actually I agree with you. But maybe we have a more religious view of Leica than they seem to have of themselves. They are a very opportunistic company, willing to put their name all over low end Japanese compacts in order to make money. So frankly, they are capable of anything.

No matter what their view of themselves is, they already have focus peaking in their cameras. I see no reason why it wouldn't be included in what they release next.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Ulfric M Douglas
Senior MemberPosts: 3,977
Like?
VF-4
In reply to Valentinian, May 24, 2013

Valentinian wrote:

...

a "Leica" EVF has to be better, it should rival the mirror of the best DSLR, or it won't make sense.

Yes. Leica will not be in a happy position once Olympus' VF-2 starts shipping (their own EVF is a rebadged VF-2) so will have to offer their own VF-4 ... with a body to use it on.

Hopefully a Leica version of the G6 made all squareish and metally : or at least not ugly.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
CharlesB58
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,600
Like?
Re: Sigh.......
In reply to Dheorl, May 24, 2013

Leica was also a member of the 4/3 consotrium but withdrew a couple of years ago to focus on other projects.

-- hide signature --

Some people operate cameras. Others use them to create images. There is a difference.
http://ikkens.zenfolio.com/
http://sarob-w.deviantart.com/

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
l_objectif
Forum ProPosts: 17,048Gear list
Like?
Re: Here is the first IMAGE of that Leica Mini M
In reply to RoelHendrickx, May 24, 2013
 l_objectif's gear list:l_objectif's gear list
Leica D-LUX 5 Nikon D300
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
rusticus
Contributing MemberPosts: 559Gear list
Like?
Re: Leica entering m4/3?
In reply to Dheorl, May 24, 2013

Noooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

APS-C with M-Bajonet

3000 bis 4000 Dollar

 rusticus's gear list:rusticus's gear list
Fujifilm X10 Pentax K-5
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
tedolf
Forum ProPosts: 16,279Gear list
Like?
Now I am really confused.......
In reply to walkaround, May 24, 2013

walkaround wrote:

tedolf wrote:

Panasonic makes the D-Lux 6.

I'm aware of that, which was my whole point. Leica doesn't make anything, except a few lenses. The entire guts and processing of their cameras is outsourced.

what is your point agiain?

How does it relate to what I posted?

Thanks.

Tedolph

 tedolf's gear list:tedolf's gear list
Olympus PEN E-PL1 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 17mm 1:2.8 Pancake Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 14-42mm 1:3.5-5.6 II R +10 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
dotborg
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,484
Like?
Re: Sigh.......
In reply to tedolf, May 24, 2013

walkaround wrote:

tedolf wrote:

Leica has a licensing agreement with Panasonic.

Do you think any Licensee would sign a License Agreement allowing  the Licensor to compete with them in the same marketplace?

Yes, they already do. The D-Lux6 "competes" with the LX7 for example.

Panasonic makes the D-Lux 6.

Tedolph

Perhaps the mini M will be the same as the GX2.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
tedolf
Forum ProPosts: 16,279Gear list
Like?
If Leica was going to .......
In reply to dotborg, May 24, 2013

dotborg wrote:

walkaround wrote:

tedolf wrote:

Leica has a licensing agreement with Panasonic.

Do you think any Licensee would sign a License Agreement allowing  the Licensor to compete with them in the same marketplace?

Yes, they already do. The D-Lux6 "competes" with the LX7 for example.

Panasonic makes the D-Lux 6.

Tedolph

Perhaps the mini M will be the same as the GX2.

simply re-brand an exsiting Panny u 4/3 camera with a red dot they would have done that with the GF-1.

The fact that they did not and have not since then (look at how much the G6 looks like an R9!) should tell you something about their Agreement with Panasonic.

Tedolph

 tedolf's gear list:tedolf's gear list
Olympus PEN E-PL1 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 17mm 1:2.8 Pancake Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 14-42mm 1:3.5-5.6 II R +10 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Dheorl
Senior MemberPosts: 2,106Gear list
Like?
Re: If Leica was going to .......
In reply to tedolf, May 24, 2013

tedolf wrote:

dotborg wrote:

walkaround wrote:

tedolf wrote:

Leica has a licensing agreement with Panasonic.

Do you think any Licensee would sign a License Agreement allowing  the Licensor to compete with them in the same marketplace?

Yes, they already do. The D-Lux6 "competes" with the LX7 for example.

Panasonic makes the D-Lux 6.

Tedolph

Perhaps the mini M will be the same as the GX2.

simply re-brand an exsiting Panny u 4/3 camera with a red dot they would have done that with the GF-1.

The fact that they did not and have not since then (look at how much the G6 looks like an R9!) should tell you something about their Agreement with Panasonic.

Tedolph

Maybe they didn't think the GF-1 was worthy of the red dot.

I don't think it tells us anything about the agreement those two companies have tbh. Lets be fair, panny and Leica are hardly going after the same market segment.

Also considering the G6 really wasn't released that long ago, maybe this will just be a rebadged G6.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Fazal Majid
Contributing MemberPosts: 853Gear list
Like?
Re: Leica entering m4/3?
In reply to Dheorl, May 25, 2013

Leica is on record as saying m43 image quality is inadequate, they would not have made those statements if they had a m43 camera in development:

http://www.popsci.com/gadgets/article/2010-07/how-pair-high-quality-vintage-leica-lenses-your-micro-four-thirds-digicam

“One reason why we've decided not to move into Micro Four Thirds is that we have looked at the sensor size and realized that it cannot produce the image quality that we need. Therefore we decided to stick with the full format in addition to APS-C,” Enhardt continued. “It's all about the ratios.”

-- hide signature --

Fazal Majid (http://www.majid.info)

 Fazal Majid's gear list:Fazal Majid's gear list
Sony RX1 Fujifilm X100S Fujifilm X-Pro1 Canon EOS 5D Mark III Leica M Typ 240 +20 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
JosephScha
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,212Gear list
Like?
Right, I remember that quote
In reply to Fazal Majid, May 25, 2013

So it seems incredibly unlikely that Leica has forgotten it and is about to introduce a micro four thirds camera.

Personally, I'd be very happy if they did ... maybe they have created (or had created for them) a far better micro four thirds sensor, that meets their standards.  But... I think probability is vanishingly small.

-- hide signature --

js

 JosephScha's gear list:JosephScha's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-G10 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 45-200mm F4-5.6 OIS Panasonic Leica Summilux DG 25mm F1.4 +4 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
tedolf
Forum ProPosts: 16,279Gear list
Like?
Keep dreaming .......
In reply to Dheorl, May 25, 2013

tedolf wrote:

dotborg wrote:

walkaround wrote:

tedolf wrote:

Leica has a licensing agreement with Panasonic.

Do you think any Licensee would sign a License Agreement allowing  the Licensor to compete with them in the same marketplace?

Yes, they already do. The D-Lux6 "competes" with the LX7 for example.

Panasonic makes the D-Lux 6.

Tedolph

Perhaps the mini M will be the same as the GX2.

simply re-brand an exsiting Panny u 4/3 camera with a red dot they would have done that with the GF-1.

The fact that they did not and have not since then (look at how much the G6 looks like an R9!) should tell you something about their Agreement with Panasonic.

Tedolph

Maybe they didn't think the GF-1 was worthy of the red dot.

I don't think it tells us anything about the agreement those two companies have tbh. Lets be fair, panny and Leica are hardly going after the same market segment.

Also considering the G6 really wasn't released that long ago, maybe this will just be a rebadged G6.

like I said,I just don't understand ahy eople can not accept reality.

Tedolph

 tedolf's gear list:tedolf's gear list
Olympus PEN E-PL1 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 17mm 1:2.8 Pancake Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 14-42mm 1:3.5-5.6 II R +10 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
captura
Forum ProPosts: 13,405Gear list
Like?
Re: Leica entering m4/3?
In reply to bethonos, May 25, 2013

Just as the Leica D-LUX 6 is the expensive version of the Lumix LX-7, the 'Mini' might be the Leica version of the recently announced compact Panasonic LF-1, itself a highly modded version of the LX-7 with a different lens and an EVF.

 captura's gear list:captura's gear list
Fujifilm X10 Sony Alpha NEX-7 NEX5R Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 R Sony E 55-210mm F4.5-6.3 OSS +9 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
RoelHendrickx
Forum ProPosts: 22,227
Like?
Louis, LOL²
In reply to l_objectif, May 25, 2013

l_objectif wrote:

rather:

-- hide signature --

Roel Hendrickx
lots of images: www.roelh.zenfolio.com
my E-3 user field report from Tunisian Sahara: http://www.biofos.com/ukpsg/roel.html

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Ben C Davis
Senior MemberPosts: 1,259Gear list
Like?
Re: hmmm
In reply to Fazal Majid, May 25, 2013

Fazal Majid wrote:

Leica is on record as saying m43 image quality is inadequate, they would not have made those statements if they had a m43 camera in development:

http://www.popsci.com/gadgets/article/2010-07/how-pair-high-quality-vintage-leica-lenses-your-micro-four-thirds-digicam

“One reason why we've decided not to move into Micro Four Thirds is that we have looked at the sensor size and realized that it cannot produce the image quality that we need. Therefore we decided to stick with the full format in addition to APS-C,” Enhardt continued. “It's all about the ratios.”

-- hide signature --

Fazal Majid (http://www.majid.info)

That was posted  "Posted 07.28.2010 at 2:45 pm"  all most 3 years ago.

 Ben C Davis's gear list:Ben C Davis's gear list
Olympus E-M1
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Dheorl
Senior MemberPosts: 2,106Gear list
Like?
Re: Keep dreaming .......
In reply to tedolf, May 25, 2013

tedolf wrote:

tedolf wrote:

dotborg wrote:

walkaround wrote:

tedolf wrote:

Leica has a licensing agreement with Panasonic.

Do you think any Licensee would sign a License Agreement allowing  the Licensor to compete with them in the same marketplace?

Yes, they already do. The D-Lux6 "competes" with the LX7 for example.

Panasonic makes the D-Lux 6.

Tedolph

Perhaps the mini M will be the same as the GX2.

simply re-brand an exsiting Panny u 4/3 camera with a red dot they would have done that with the GF-1.

The fact that they did not and have not since then (look at how much the G6 looks like an R9!) should tell you something about their Agreement with Panasonic.

Tedolph

Maybe they didn't think the GF-1 was worthy of the red dot.

I don't think it tells us anything about the agreement those two companies have tbh. Lets be fair, panny and Leica are hardly going after the same market segment.

Also considering the G6 really wasn't released that long ago, maybe this will just be a rebadged G6.

like I said,I just don't understand ahy eople can not accept reality.

Tedolph

Because sometimes dreaming can be a nice thing to do.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Revenant
Junior MemberPosts: 49
Like?
Re: Sigh.......
In reply to walkaround, May 25, 2013

walkaround wrote:

tedolf wrote:

Panasonic makes the D-Lux 6.

I'm aware of that, which was my whole point. Leica doesn't make anything, except a few lenses. The entire guts and processing of their cameras is outsourced.

That's only true if we're talking about the D-Lux (Panasonic LX), V-Lux (Panasonic superzooms) and C-Lux (Panasonic P&S) cameras, and the old Digilux 2 and 3, which were rebranded versions of the Panasonic LC1 and L1.

The S, M and X series cameras are all designed by and manufactured by Leica. Of course, they buy electronic components from other companies, but other camera makers do that too.

Since Leica is a member of the m4/3 consortium, and since they released a rebranded Panasonic Four Thirds DSLR, I don't see why a rebranded Panasonic GX2 (or some other m4/3 camera) would be an impossibility.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
tedolf
Forum ProPosts: 16,279Gear list
Like?
Health problems .......
In reply to Dheorl, May 25, 2013

Dheorl wrote:

tedolf wrote:

tedolf wrote:

dotborg wrote:

walkaround wrote:

tedolf wrote:

Leica has a licensing agreement with Panasonic.

Do you think any Licensee would sign a License Agreement allowing  the Licensor to compete with them in the same marketplace?

Yes, they already do. The D-Lux6 "competes" with the LX7 for example.

Panasonic makes the D-Lux 6.

Tedolph

Perhaps the mini M will be the same as the GX2.

simply re-brand an exsiting Panny u 4/3 camera with a red dot they would have done that with the GF-1.

The fact that they did not and have not since then (look at how much the G6 looks like an R9!) should tell you something about their Agreement with Panasonic.

Tedolph

Maybe they didn't think the GF-1 was worthy of the red dot.

I don't think it tells us anything about the agreement those two companies have tbh. Lets be fair, panny and Leica are hardly going after the same market segment.

Also considering the G6 really wasn't released that long ago, maybe this will just be a rebadged G6.

like I said,I just don't understand ahy eople can not accept reality.

Tedolph

Because sometimes dreaming can be a nice thing to do.

You have an unhealthy fixation on gear.

Really, is the camera you have not good enough for what you do?

Tedolph

 tedolf's gear list:tedolf's gear list
Olympus PEN E-PL1 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 17mm 1:2.8 Pancake Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 14-42mm 1:3.5-5.6 II R +10 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Dheorl
Senior MemberPosts: 2,106Gear list
Like?
Re: Health problems .......
In reply to tedolf, May 25, 2013

tedolf wrote:

Dheorl wrote:

tedolf wrote:

tedolf wrote:

dotborg wrote:

walkaround wrote:

tedolf wrote:

Leica has a licensing agreement with Panasonic.

Do you think any Licensee would sign a License Agreement allowing  the Licensor to compete with them in the same marketplace?

Yes, they already do. The D-Lux6 "competes" with the LX7 for example.

Panasonic makes the D-Lux 6.

Tedolph

Perhaps the mini M will be the same as the GX2.

simply re-brand an exsiting Panny u 4/3 camera with a red dot they would have done that with the GF-1.

The fact that they did not and have not since then (look at how much the G6 looks like an R9!) should tell you something about their Agreement with Panasonic.

Tedolph

Maybe they didn't think the GF-1 was worthy of the red dot.

I don't think it tells us anything about the agreement those two companies have tbh. Lets be fair, panny and Leica are hardly going after the same market segment.

Also considering the G6 really wasn't released that long ago, maybe this will just be a rebadged G6.

like I said,I just don't understand ahy eople can not accept reality.

Tedolph

Because sometimes dreaming can be a nice thing to do.

You have an unhealthy fixation on gear.

Really, is the camera you have not good enough for what you do?

Tedolph

It's plenty enough for most of what I do. Could do with a faster sync speed and I wouldn't mind about having the characteristics of a bigger sensor some of the time.

What can I say, I'm impressed by fine quality engineering. Leica is pretty much the epitomy of that when it comes to cameras (although yes, I realise if it is just a rebranded panasonic then it won't have that same usual Leica quality). Leica producing a camera that is afordable and usable day to day would be very appealing to me.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads